M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Anti-dazzle clarity

05-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Anti-dazzle clarity

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For the past few days and nights I've been investigating whether my car has the anti-dazzle feature. I need some help from the forum on this one.

When I look at my official BMW car order with all of listed features and codes, I cannot see anti-dazzle anywhere. In my car itself there is nothing in the manual or the controls to suggest I have anti-dazzle. So before starting the car I'm not really sure.

I do have the 'Auto' feature for my lights which is enabled by pressing inwards the button on the indicator stick. The way this worked on my old 640 GC, is it would automatically move between high beam and low beam while I was driving, meaning that if a car was approaching in the opposite direction, the high beam would dip to low beam and then go back to high beam when the car had passed. I would have the 'A' automatic symbol permanently displayed when this feature was enacted on both high beam and low beam.

In the 850 the first thing I notice is that the 'A' symbol when 'Auto' is enabled is present only on low beam. If I switch to high beam the 'A' symbol disappears. So I concluded the only way to test if I have anti-dazzle is to drive around on high beam. The challenge is I have not had a chance to get the car at night into an area that is completely dark with no street lighting.

When driving with high beam on, the lights do not automatically dip to low beam, and I can't activate the 'Auto' function on high beam. When I do drive with high beam on, the lights do not appear to be blinding on coming motorists, and the same when I approach a car from behind. But it is not all that obvious.

After all this I concluded that I must have anti-dazzle. So I thought I would check with all the anti-dazzlers, does this sound about right?

If so I am astonished that this feature was never explained during the sale process or during my Genius visit where my Genius spend nearly 2 hours with me explaining all the features of my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Strangely I took my car out tonight for the exact same reason.

It was not quite completely dark but dark enough to try out I think.

On the outset I was behind a car as we went into the country lanes and I put on the auto mode. My high beam was on even though the car in front was still easily in range of being 'dazzled', I dropped back a bit and the high beam seamed to get stronger.

A couple of cars came the other way and still the high beam stayed on but seemed to 'spread' somewhat. I then closed the gap on the car in front and again the high beam stayed on and again seemed to spread.

I then turned off down some smaller less lit country roads to take a route home but unfortunately I managed to go the next 7 or 8 miles without seeing another car ( typical ).

On conclusion, which is not comprehensive and will be tested more tomorrow night, I have anti-dazzle on my car.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

It sounds to me as though you both have anti-dazzle, as your experiences track perfectly with the feature.

On cars sold in the U.S., the build sheet and sticker have this line: "5AP - decoding for no-dazzle high beam assistance." This means that the anti-dazzle was dumbed down - deactivated - for U.S. sales, as required by the dunderheaded U.S. Department of Transportation. This requires us to code the feature back in, which we do.

If your build sheet or sticker doesn't have that line, you almost certainly have the feature. And if your "A" automatic symbol is illuminated and your blue high-beam indicator is lit and your high beams aren't gearing down to low beams for approaching traffic or as you come up behind someone, you definitely have it. It can be subtle, but glance in the direction of oncoming traffic. You'll see the high beam lift up slightly and away from their angle of view.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 05-10-2020 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
Publius29.00
      05-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks redhotfla47 - appreciate that. Yes no anti-dazzle words in any BMW documentation.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

If the driver coming from the opposite direction didn't flash you with their high beams, then the AD is most likely working

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Very good point. No flashes.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Very good point. No flashes.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Thanks redhotfla47 - appreciate that. Yes no anti-dazzle words in any BMW documentation.
Window sticker?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

yes I agree 100% also, I'd add you're going to notice your high beams "move around". it's not too subtle.
Also it doesn't work if you manually enable them. I made that mistake first time out. if you push the stick and the high beams stay on, it's not anti-dazzle. if you then take them off and click the small "auto" button. Then you're going to see it for sure.

it works best with traffic, but I was able to test it on an empty road with street lights proving enough gaps.
Appreciate 1
Publius29.00
      05-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
yes I agree 100% also, I'd add you're going to notice your high beams "move around". it's not too subtle.
Also it doesn't work if you manually enable them. I made that mistake first time out. if you push the stick and the high beams stay on, it's not anti-dazzle. if you then take them off and click the small "auto" button. Then you're going to see it for sure.

it works best with traffic, but I was able to test it on an empty road with street lights proving enough gaps.
The "curtain effect" is the most pronounced form I think. You'll know what I mean if you see it. Dipping the high beam left or right side is probably a second but you have to pay more attention to see it (which kinda defeats the point) because the oncoming car dazzles the area.
Appreciate 2
Publius29.00
      05-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Window sticker?
Sorry missed this one before.

No window stickers. Also we don't have the reflectors fitted above the front wheel arches (not that this has anything to do with the lights but just differences with the US).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Resjudicata this is what confuses me. On my car, I can only activate Auto mode on low beam, and when I do I don't get high beam. When I push the stick into high beam, which takes Auto off, then anti-dazzle seems to be activated.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #13
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The "curtain effect" is the most pronounced form I think. You'll know what I mean if you see it. Dipping the high beam left or right side is probably a second but you have to pay more attention to see it (which kinda defeats the point) because the oncoming car dazzles the area.
Yes I need to get out to the outskirts of the city where it is really dark to give it a better work out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Resjudicata this is what confuses me. On my car, I can only activate Auto mode on low beam, and when I do I don't get high beam. When I push the stick into high beam, which takes Auto off, then anti-dazzle seems to be activated.
The high beams will only come on with Auto when they see the need. It often takes really poorly lit areas for it to happen since the dipped beams are so good already. No condescension intended but patience is the key.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The high beams will only come on with Auto when they see the need. It often takes really poorly lit areas for it to happen since the dipped beams are so good already. No condescension intended but patience is the key.
Thank seriously. Just a process of discovery. My driving so far has too much city ambient lighting for the high beams to come on in Auto mode. I will drive the car to a black hole one of these nights.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #16
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

All this talk about headlights makes me realize . . . i've had my 850 GC for two months and still haven't driven it at night. Damn you COVID19!!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

there is 2 sets of "auto". I wish I had a photo, but one auto button is in the dash on the left side above the OBD2 ports.

the second auto is a small button above the display change button on the left side turn signal arm.

I think you might be doing what I did and pushing the whole turn signal arm up and down. it's stays still, and there's a small button above the media change button.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yep got the two autos and know how they work. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #19
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
All this talk about headlights makes me realize . . . i've had my 850 GC for two months and still haven't driven it at night. Damn you COVID19!!
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Late night is when we venture out with or w/o the 850, as we are trying to limit any exposure to this plague. Don't know about where you guys live, but here at our place in Naples everyone's been out for several weeks now with near 0 levels of protection, and our country club's golf course has been open and very busy never closing once. We have been blessed thus far not to be infected (that we know of) and I'll be damned if we're going to push the odds...no thanks. We've also been helping the economy with tons of e-commerce.

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 08:02 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Strangely I took my car out tonight for the exact same reason.

It was not quite completely dark but dark enough to try out I think.

On the outset I was behind a car as we went into the country lanes and I put on the auto mode. My high beam was on even though the car in front was still easily in range of being 'dazzled', I dropped back a bit and the high beam seamed to get stronger.

A couple of cars came the other way and still the high beam stayed on but seemed to 'spread' somewhat. I then closed the gap on the car in front and again the high beam stayed on and again seemed to spread.

I then turned off down some smaller less lit country roads to take a route home but unfortunately I managed to go the next 7 or 8 miles without seeing another car ( typical ).

On conclusion, which is not comprehensive and will be tested more tomorrow night, I have anti-dazzle on my car.
You definitely should have it as I believe it is on by default for European builds. Then again with Brexit that may change in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
there is 2 sets of "auto". I wish I had a photo, but one auto button is in the dash on the left side above the OBD2 ports.

the second auto is a small button above the display change button on the left side turn signal arm.

I think you might be doing what I did and pushing the whole turn signal arm up and down. it's stays still, and there's a small button above the media change button.
Thanks for the explanation as at one point I hit the button on the signal arm above the display change one and couldn't figure out what it did but of course that was during daylight driving. I've only had one night time experience so far and just manually engaged the brights when it was safe to do so.
Appreciate 1