M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2020 BMW M8 Competition Coupe First Test Review [Motortrend]

04-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I like it but only as GC and not in that color...
Appreciate 1
georgere585.50
      04-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

"Nearly all the steering feel goes away, and the steering effort weights up."

BMW needs to get their s*** together and improve their steering racks, a decade later and we still have numb EPS. Even Mazda's have better steering these days, c'mon, in a $150k+ car this needs to be better.
Germanauto9698.00
      04-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post

BMW needs to get their s*** together and improve their steering racks, a decade later and we still have numb EPS. Even Mazda's have better steering these days, c'mon, in a $150k+ car this needs to be better.
Lol it's basically a fact now that this is done on purpose. I've just given up.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25075.00
      04-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #26
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

Lol it's evident now that this is done on purpose.
"The people don't want steering feel" is becoming a tired excuse coming from the bean-counters at BMW. I understand this on the cookie cutter lease special 330i's and X3's, but on M-cars of any number, it still pains me to think that a Mazda 3 or even a dated Lexus IS has better steering feel than any BMW. Its sad to see my favorite brand of 20+ years ignoring their laurels.
Germanauto9698.00
      04-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
"The people don't want steering feel" is becoming a tired excuse coming from the bean-counters at BMW. I understand this on the cookie cutter lease special 330i's and X3's, but on M-cars of any number, it still pains me to think that a Mazda 3 or even a dated Lexus IS has better steering feel than any BMW. Its sad to see my favorite brand of 20+ years ignoring their laurels.
At least for the 3-series there shouldn't be any compromises. That's supposed to be the sport sedan that defines the segment.

Besides consumer tastes, automakers have found that steering "feel" doesn't help you corner any faster. Subjectively it's something we enthusiasts enjoy, but but dialing out pull drift/tramlining, steering sensitivity to road imperfections, etc. can make a car easier to drive fast. That's what Porsche has said. Porsche's EPS is still better than BMW but even then it leaves me feeling a bit cold. Unless you're hooning around the cars at high speeds they've also lost their visceral feeling.

On a side note, my daily IS is old and slow, but the steering transmits so much road feedback I really enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25075.00
      04-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #28
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The steering feel on a Mazda 3 or a Mk8 Jetta GLI is far better than current ///M cars. ///M cars will never have good steering feel again, the market is too luxury now. Shame really, but it is what it is.

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25075.00
      04-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #29
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The steering feel on a Mazda 3 or a Mk8 Jetta GLI is far better than current ///M cars. ///M cars will never have good steering feel again, the market is too luxury now. Shame really, but it is what it is.
I put Cup 2's on my M and it's a different car now.
      04-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #30
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My MK7 GTI has better steering feel than my F80.

It was also randomly noted in an article I was reading "Featuring" the M2.

Before I got my F80 I was considering the M2; I was shocked to see "the new GTI" has better steering feel than an M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #31
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Whether or not if it's selling, the car is impressive AF!!! Especially in 'Competition' guise....

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...E3B9BC80E2C91D

Quote:
Yes, the M8 is heavy. Sure, M division has done a lot of hard work to make it about 160 pounds lighter than an M850i Coupe, but at 4,202 pounds, it's still a very heavy car for something with "competition" literally written across the back. A last-generation Cadillac CTS-V sedan, for comparison, weighs 100 pounds less than the M8, and like the M5 sedan, adults can sit comfortably in the back seats of the Caddy, more than can be said for the M8.

All that being said, the M8 laid down a blistering 23.3-second figure-eight lap at 0.88 average total g, plus 1.03 average lateral g in steady-state skidpad testing. To get an idea of just how impressive that is for a heavy car, consider it's quicker and grippier than the Acura NSX and BMW's own Z4 M40i. It's also a dead tie with the new C8 Corvette Z51 and only slightly less grippy. All those cars weigh hundreds of pounds less. Some of that can be attributed to the M8's massive power advantage, what with 617 hp and 553 lb-ft to move it, but getting those poor Pirelli P Zero's to hang on that hard with 2.1 tons of car and all that power thrown at them is pretty damn impressive.

The color is really beautiful in my opinion
      04-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #32
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Before I got my F80 I was considering the M2; I was shocked to see "the new GTI" has better steering feel than an M2.
You should drive Alfa Romeo Gulia QV. their steering is phenomenal too
      04-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #33
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gonna test drive one.

I know a few on this forum have returned from the Alpha.

The Alpha is a fantastic car and the price supports that!

I like the exterior of the Alpha. I don't like the interior and it's automatic.

If it was as big as an M550 would be tough not to pick over BMW.

Steering is super high on priority for these type of cars. Somehow the total package in M3 just suits me better.

I put a premium on handling and M3 consistently had better lap times.

I know these are street cars but it does translate quite a bit
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #34
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't even remind me of that. I got to drive the Giulia Ti Sport (2.0T) and Quadrifoglio and god damn was that steering phenomenal, it ruined driving other cars for me!
      04-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #35
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Don't even remind me of that. I got to drive the Giulia Ti Sport (2.0T) and Quadrifoglio and god damn was that steering phenomenal, it ruined driving other cars for me!
The Alfa is a beautiful, fun, unreliable shitbox.

Unfortunately there is more to a car than just steering feel
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #36
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
It is interesting to see that Mercedes, once the black sheep for anything steering has come and surpassed BMW in that area. Not all models to be sure but some (all AMG) that are several steps above.

That said, I don't think there is value about people complaining/whining about the M8 steering without having ever driven one. Qualified opinions matter...

The GTI is a surprisingly capable all around car but I wouldn't want that steering in the M8. Not comparable or even relevant IMO.
The M8 is a heavy, high powered GT and I want the steering to match the demeanor of the overall car.
If anything I would like the car to loose 500lbs before I worry about the steering
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #37
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
The Alfa is a beautiful, fun, unreliable shitbox.

Unfortunately there is more to a car than just steering feel
Oh I know, otherwise I would have bought one by now, however I've owned some unreliable BMW's so, YMMV, I have heard the 4-cylinder models are more reliable, but of course, time will tell.
      04-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #38
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That said, I don't think there is value about people complaining/whining about the M8 steering without having ever driven one. Qualified opinions matter...
I've had plenty of seat time in the car, and my complaints aren't just towards the 8-series, but BMW in general, its just that they are emphasized and brought to life here, especially since if they can't put good steering into their "flagship" $150k M-car, the hope for good steering in any BMW for some time in now and in the future is overall lost.
      04-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #39
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
I've had plenty of seat time in the car, and my complaints aren't just towards the 8-series, but BMW in general, its just that they are emphasized and brought to life here, especially since if they can't put good steering into their "flagship" $150k M-car, the hope for good steering in any BMW for some time in now and in the future is overall lost.
While I don't love it, it's doesn't rise to the list of considerations when purchasing a vehicle. I found my W213 E63S steering feel to be very similar in the same meh kinda way. My Audi RS7P often made me wonder if the wheel inside the car was connected at all to the one's on the outside--now that's numb.

I tracked my F90 M5s and, again, walked away with no complaints and glowing brakes. The precise opposite was true for my RS7--I walked away with gobs of complaints and no glowing brakes (CC brakes).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #40
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is interesting to see that Mercedes, once the black sheep for anything steering has come and surpassed BMW in that area. Not all models to be sure but some (all AMG) that are several steps above.

The GTI is a surprisingly capable all around car but I wouldn't want that steering in the M8. Not comparable or even relevant IMO.
The M8 is a heavy, high powered GT and I want the steering to match the demeanor of the overall car.
If anything I would like the car to loose 500lbs before I worry about the steering
LOL--where the heck are we gonna find 500Ibs from? It'll look like an Ariel Atom by the time we're done.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #41
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
LOL--where the heck are we gonna find 500Ibs from? It'll look like an Ariel Atom by the time we're done.
Tall order I know but they could start with these...
Give us actual lightweight forged wheels instead of these boat anchors
CCB's as a default rotors
CF body parts (not for visuals so doesn't have to be pretty like crossmembers, fenders, hood, trunk, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #42
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
CF body parts (not for visuals so doesn't have to be pretty like crossmembers, fenders, hood, trunk, etc.)
Agreed. There's probably enough breathing room in current pricing to do that without adjusting the msrp at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #43
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
The comp wheels in the M8 aren't forged?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #44
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
The comp wheels in the M8 aren't forged?
They are forged but still over 30 lbs a wheel.
Appreciate 0