M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Time for mods. What’s available?

04-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #23
Reliable1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M8 Comp Gran Coupe

Here are the paddles I used from paddleshiterz.com.
I liked the way the mimicked the shape on the top of the shifters to resemble the look of the M1 and M2 buttons. They are high quality and I really love the feel!
I am not sure why the picture came out sideways and don’t know how to fix it
Attached Images

Last edited by Reliable1; 04-05-2020 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Believe it or not, with the new air intake technology, the stock air filter is as good as any aftermarket unless you are pushing 50% more horsepower.

In my list, it is last on the list.

First would be tune, either piggyback or flash tune.
Then downpipe.
Exhaust is right before intake because it gives you more sound than actual power gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Hmmm, I disagree--where do you get 'most' from or that folks do the intake first?

In my case, this is my 10th S63-derived BMW M-car. I've bolted on an aftermarket intake only once and an exhaust only once (same car). The intake helps for sound... and seems to work best in conjunction with more free-flowing exhausts like I mentioned... but the car I did both on doesn't compete with my more modern ones but it was an F06 M6 Comp GC and they're showing their age a bit.

I'd argue that most Racechip (another piggyback) and JB4 customers are looking for a plug'n'play solution that doesn't instantaneously invalidate their drivetrain warranty. I imagine I've helped 50+ JB folks over the years and the vast majority modified nothing else... me included on 9 BMW M-cars.

Granted, I'm a little different since I don't keep cars long but the results speak for themselves: 30,000 miles across two F90 Comps achieving consistent low 10.3s in the 1/4 mile and 0-60mph below 2.6s (2.57 being a repeated personal best).

If you want to open things up a bit, then I'm fully supportive of getting an intake+exhaust. However, I am in complete disagreement that it's either necessary or normal for piggyback tuning.

If we take my current M8, for example, it has only a JB4. It's already running 2.59s to 60 (per Dragy as in all cases above) and a 10.5s 1/4 mile on farm roads--I'm still tinkering but I've no doubt she'll match my 2020 F90 M5 Comp once I nail the setup (and it stops raining).

I'd do the JB4 first--see how it feels. Then the intake, see the difference--determine for yourself. Or do the intake and exhaust together but, either way, give yourself a baseline to compare the bolt-ons against.

Thanks guys for your input this has really been informative. Keep in mind I’m not trying to track my 840ix, it’s my daily driver and just want to give it some more oomph (so I can more closely feel like I got that 850i m lol). I’m on a lease so I don’t want to modify too much with it. So doing just an intake and a tune seemed like the best way to go. From what I read the intake will add some nicer sound qualities versus stock as well.

A couple of articles I read oN the subject are below that seemed relatively recent and recommend the intake to pair with a tune. Besides, the sound differences, You guys really think the 840 stock intake performs just as well as some of these replacements? What about improved throttle response? We’re only talking under $200-$300 plus self install. But hey if there’s no gains that’s still money to save.

https://bmwtuning.co/build-500hp-b58/

And

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-b58-upgrade...-intake-guide/

Last edited by gustovier; 04-05-2020 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
Thanks guys for your input this has really been informative. Keep in mind I’m not trying to track my 840ix, it’s my daily driver and just want to give it some more oomph (so I can more closely feel like I got that 850i m lol). I’m on a lease so I don’t want to modify too much with it. So doing just an intake and a tune seemed like the best way to go. From what I read the intake will add some nicer sound qualities versus stock as well.

A couple of articles I read oN the subject are below that seemed relatively recent and recommend the intake to pair with a tune. Besides, the sound differences, You guys really think the 840 stock intake performs just as well as some of these replacements? What about improved throttle response? We’re only talking under $200-$300 plus self install. But hey if there’s no gains that’s still money to save.

https://bmwtuning.co/build-500hp-b58/

And

https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-b58-upgrade...-intake-guide/
If you went piggyback first, timed it and then added the intake, I wouldn't expect the difference to be measurable in anything other than sound. Like you said, though, it's pretty cheap and there's certainly no harm (as long as you don't "F" it up ). Note, though, that the more expensive intakes usually develop the sound better than the cheaper ones--do some research on that front if it's sound you're after (which is worth it when you get it right).
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #26
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Now to decide which type/brand of piggyback tune to get.

I like the simplicity of the jb plus, with its 5 min install time, but I realize it’s not as complete as the jb4. The jb4 has a little more to the install, but is more a full tune, and can give better results, but I worry about taking it to the dealer for service. Uninstalling it will Be a pain every time. I still don’t get what this “logging” stuff with the jb4 is about. So more to research there. I want something that is very plug and play and requires no additional Maintenance/upkeep and I need my rides to still be pretty smooth.

I just started reading up on the racechip piggyback as well.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I like the simplicity of the jb plus, with its 5 min install time, but I realize it’s not as complete as the jb4. The jb4 has a little more to the install, but is more a full tune, and can give better results, but I worry about taking it to the dealer for service. Uninstalling it will Be a pain every time. I still don’t get what this “logging” stuff with the jb4 is about. So more to research there. I want something that is very plug and play and requires no additional Maintenance/upkeep and I need my rides to still be pretty smooth.

All correct.

The JB's logging allows you obtain very detailed engine telemetry which, if you care to, you can post on the JB4 forum and the owner/developer will review them for you to tell you what's what, if it's safe, etc. Or you can learn to read it yourself. It doesn't sound like this is what you're after.

The Racechip is very much built to be plug-n'play--perhaps that's the correct direction for you.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      04-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #28
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:

When I had a jb4 installed on my old m3 my dealer never gave gave me a hard time about it when I took it in for servicing. Only when the jb4 crapped out and error warnings started appearing on my display and I took it in then they told me I had to take it out. Which I had to anyway because the jb4 wasn't working anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #29
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I love my gamma front mount intake. Always believed front mount intakes make a Decent amount of power especially as you are adding boost.

Induction sounds are amazing. Not sure the gamma would fit the m850 but have a feeling would. Engine layout looks similar

Quote:
If you went piggyback first, timed it and then added the intake, I wouldn't expect the difference to be measurable in anything other than sound. Like you said, though, it's pretty cheap and there's certainly no harm (as long as you don't "F" it up ). Note, though, that the more expensive intakes usually develop the sound better than the cheaper ones--do some research on that front if it's sound you're after (which is worth it when you get it right).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #30
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I love my gamma front mount intake. Always believed front mount intakes make a Decent amount of power especially as you are adding boost.

Induction sounds are amazing. Not sure the gamma would fit the m850 but have a feeling would. Engine layout looks similar
Yeah, I'm a big fan of a louder whoosh. But adding boost, how? The turbines are spun from exhaust gases. I can see it helping to reach boost targets more quickly--is that what you mean?

That said, I'm no expert here, what you've said just doesn't gel with what I've read online... but some of that was from Wikipedia so obviously credible.

PS: aren't the front mounted ones a little worrisome because they tend to ingest other shite as well or do you have a filter?

Last edited by limeypride; 04-05-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #31
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Boost from a tune or piggy back. Not from the intake but when j was talking to the owner of MSR during the production of his f85 intake system that never hit the market. the intake itself was making additional boost causing all kinds of issues. I’m no expert myself and just a consumer. Nothing to buy from them so didn’t think too much of it.

But more boost = more induction sound. That I know

Before the sky started falling I tried getting a good video of the intake sound but too much wind and it sounded like shit. Need a stationary camera and drive by videos

But if anyone seriously looking at an intake the gamma system is pretty awesome. 900 bucks, 3 inch silicon tube which makes install a breeze. I did change out the filters and added velocity stacks. Pretty happy with the system

Front mount intakes are always somewhat more worrisome although they all say it’s fine. I bought pre-filters but never installed them. I’m in CA so rain isn’t the biggest issue. And if it is raining Hard I drive the X5m. That has become my beater.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of a louder whoosh. But adding boost, how? The turbines are spun from exhaust gases. I can see it helping to reach boost targets more quickly--is that what you mean?

That said, I'm no expert here, what you've said just doesn't gel with what I've read online... but some of that was from Wikipedia so obviously credible.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      04-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #32
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Boost from a tune or piggy back. Not from the intake but when j was talking to the owner of MSR during the production of his f85 intake system that never hit the market. the intake itself was making additional boost causing all kinds of issues. I’m no expert myself and just a consumer. Nothing to buy from them so didn’t think too much of it.

But more boost = more induction sound. That I know

Before the sky started falling I tried getting a good video of the intake sound but too much wind and it sounded like shit. Need a stationary camera and drive by videos

But if anyone seriously looking at an intake the gamma system is pretty awesome. 900 bucks, 3 inch silicon tube which makes install a breeze. I did change out the filters and added velocity stacks. Pretty happy with the system

Front mount intakes are always somewhat more worrisome although they all say it’s fine. I bought pre-filters but never installed them. I’m in CA so rain isn’t the biggest issue. And if it is raining Hard I drive the X5m. That has become my beater.
Oops, my bad--got ya now.

I'd love to hear it if you can get that video--why manufacturers don't make this happen from the factory is beyond me. Look at the Hellcat/Demon--everyone loves that super-snail whine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #33
KrackerXL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

So is boot mod 3 a piggy back like jb4? I was under the impression it’s a flash tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #34
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrackerXL View Post
So is boot mod 3 a piggy back like jb4? I was under the impression it’s a flash tune?
It's not a piggyback. It's a flash--a special kind of flash--that allows you to select one of a number of ECU flashes that can be simultaneously loaded. Bootmod isolates each flash via modifications to the car's native bootpath (interpret that like the boot in 'booting your computer'), hence its name--you then load whichever flash you want on-demand.

I've never used it but a friend has and loves the versatility. So would I but piggys are a necessity for me for unrelated reasons.

I believe you control it from an app but I'm sure someone here will add details on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #35
KrackerXL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not a piggyback. It's a flash, a special kind of flash, that allows you to load & select--via modifications to the car's native bootpath (interpret that like the boot in 'booting your computer')--various other ECU flashes simultaneously. Only one is active at a time, of course.

I've never used it but a friend has and loves the versatility. So would I but piggys are a necessity for me for unrelated reasons.

I believe you control it from an app but I'm sure someone here will add details on that.
That was my impression of it as well. It comes highly recommended from friends thus my desire to go that route. Plus I’m used to flashing my gtr via ecutek so if it’s similar and easier to use I’m all for it
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrackerXL View Post
That was my impression of it as well. It comes highly recommended from friends thus my desire to go that route. Plus I’m used to flashing my gtr via ecutek so if it’s similar and easier to use I’m all for it
I'd love to give it a try but it just doesn't fit my desire to switch in and out of cars. If you're already down with the implications of ECU mods then it seems well worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #37
KrackerXL
Lieutenant
Rep

Boot mod got back to me and said they have a beta version available. I'll just wait for a stable released product
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      07-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #38
KrackerXL
Lieutenant
Rep

Any new products out?
Waiting on bm3 tune and downpipes still :/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #39
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

There is several companies offer full ECU tune and some piggyback like above. I'd recommend the full ECU flash tune, it seems to be the most bang for buck. It's not tested yet, but there is several guys that have done the ECU tune. I know one guy in Texas and one in NYC. My local shop in DC just offered me a stage 2 ECU flash tune last week; but they want $6000! The Texas shop offered remote ECU flash for $1400. I found another online for $1200.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #40
omer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable1 View Post
Here are the paddles I used from paddleshiterz.com.
I liked the way the mimicked the shape on the top of the shifters to resemble the look of the M1 and M2 buttons. They are high quality and I really love the feel!
I am not sure why the picture came out sideways and don't know how to fix it
How much did you pay for them
Appreciate 0