M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Tire pressure alert/temperature for m850i?

09-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
AramHakop
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Tire pressure alert/temperature for m850i?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had the tire pressure/temperature alert pop up today while driving and I was a little confused. The pressure on all my tires seems good, but the temperatures varied. The front left tire was about 105-113 degrees in Fahrenheit while the back left tire was about 105 degrees, and the front right and back right tires were about 97-100 degrees in temperature.
I'm wondering if there is some issue with my car as I haven't even put 2000 miles on it yet. It's pretty hot here in California today about 95 degrees but I haven't had this happen even during the even hotter days we've had here the past 2 months.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Temps will vary based on where the car is sitting in relation to the sun... today is very hot in SoCal so if your front left was exposed to the sun, it will be higher in temps for sure.

I have seen this quite often based on what the exposure was.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AramHakop View Post
I had the tire pressure/temperature alert pop up today while driving and I was a little confused. The pressure on all my tires seems good, but the temperatures varied. The front left tire was about 105-113 degrees in Fahrenheit while the back left tire was about 105 degrees, and the front right and back right tires were about 97-100 degrees in temperature.
I'm wondering if there is some issue with my car as I haven't even put 2000 miles on it yet. It's pretty hot here in California today about 95 degrees but I haven't had this happen even during the even hotter days we've had here the past 2 months.

Can anyone help me out with this?
that shouldn't trigger a problem unless you have winter or allseason tires selected in the bmw menu.

too much heat will swell the tires and raise psi, so when it drops and gets winter cold; you get a low PSI warning.

but summer tires can get to 110+ with no problems. maybe too much PSI, but I doubt it as long as they were under 50.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
AramHakop
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
that shouldn't trigger a problem unless you have winter or allseason tires selected in the bmw menu.

too much heat will swell the tires and raise psi, so when it drops and gets winter cold; you get a low PSI warning.

but summer tires can get to 110+ with no problems. maybe too much PSI, but I doubt it as long as they were under 50.
Yeah the PSI is fine, it's around 38-42, also got it on the summer settings so didn't see any issue there; I guess I just wanted to make sure if I'm okay since this alert came up and it didn't make much sense to me.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the PSI is fine, it's around 38-42, also got it on the summer settings so didn't see any issue there; I guess I just wanted to make sure if I'm okay since this alert came up and it didn't make much sense to me.
maybe it was an ENGINE overheat warning?? I've gotten lots of those, it looks similar to tires but says Engine overheating .... from the turbos.
I usually pop the hood and spray water on the turbos and watch the steam. then I'm good to go again.
but if I was on the highway, I'd probably switch to eco mode to try to coast and cool the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Just for clarity the notification was the generic tire pressure warning or did it also call out temperature specifically? I've gotten the tire pressure warning a few times over the past 20 months and generally it was due to the air in the tires compressing due to a change in weather here in Phoenix, e.g., cool evening/morning in the winter months.

Here in the summer when it's 110+ I've never received a warning due to tire temperature whatsoever. However, that could just be due to the car being about 90 degrees in the garage and then relatively short errand drives to the grocery store, etc. so the tires do not really get a chance to heat up. We're in the low 100s these days and I'm errant on taking the car out for a desert drive so I'll do that this weekend to see if I get any sort of tire temperature alert.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Just for clarity the notification was the generic tire pressure warning or did it also call out temperature specifically? I've gotten the tire pressure warning a few times over the past 20 months and generally it was due to the air in the tires compressing due to a change in weather here in Phoenix, e.g., cool evening/morning in the winter months.

Here in the summer when it's 110+ I've never received a warning due to tire temperature whatsoever. However, that could just be due to the car being about 90 degrees in the garage and then relatively short errand drives to the grocery store, etc. so the tires do not really get a chance to heat up. We're in the low 100s these days and I'm errant on taking the car out for a desert drive so I'll do that this weekend to see if I get any sort of tire temperature alert.
If you overheat the engine, you'll get this message
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

I share your location and have taken my X5M Comp to the track days during our 110+ plus seen tire times above 160 and do not get any sort of alarm, however when those temps get high like that your tires tend to "cough" wear out that track day. LOL I had the X5 for 12k miles and put 4 sets of tires on it..
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

Quote:
maybe it was an ENGINE overheat warning?? I've gotten lots of those, it looks similar to tires but says Engine overheating .... from the turbos.
I usually pop the hood and spray water on the turbos and watch the steam. then I'm good to go again.
but if I was on the highway, I'd probably switch to eco mode to try to coast and cool the engine.
Wow, Virginia must be a lot warmer than I remember from my trips! I can drive rather spiritedly sometimes but I've never had the car throw a temperature warning. This summer, on an evening run in Germany, I did 40 consecutive minutes of 210-250 kph with full throttle accelerations in that interval. The water temp never moved from the middle mark and as far as I recall the oil temp was just ever so slightly to the right of middle.

I know my equipment list mentions some kind of performance pack that has extra radiators, I assume that's standard on all 8s?
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I share your location and have taken my X5M Comp to the track days during our 110+ plus seen tire times above 160 and do not get any sort of alarm, however when those temps get high like that your tires tend to "cough" wear out that track day. LOL I had the X5 for 12k miles and put 4 sets of tires on it..
Maybe it's time to look into a licensing deal with Michelin
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
Quote:
Wow, Virginia must be a lot warmer than I remember from my trips! I can drive rather spiritedly sometimes but I've never had the car throw a temperature warning. This summer, on an evening run in Germany, I did 40 consecutive minutes of 210-250 kph with full throttle accelerations in that interval. The water temp never moved from the middle mark and as far as I recall the oil temp was just ever so slightly to the right of middle.

I know my equipment list mentions some kind of performance pack that has extra radiators, I assume that's standard on all 8s?
launch mode with a race chip GTS Black on race 7 mode running repeatedly over a 1/4 mile multiple times

will definitely trigger it after about 20 Launches in a row !!
Appreciate 1
Andycam55.50
      09-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
same here... the only warnings I have gotten were low cold pressures prior to getting on the track... or the "engine compartment hot" notice when opening the hood to aide in cooling.

Quote:
The pressure on all my tires seems good
When you say this, what do you mean by "good" exactly? Did TPMS have them all green? 38-42 is a good cold temp for the M850, but it might actually be a little low for 113 degrees.

This notice was just due to low pressures for the temp at the track, we should be at 32 degrees cold temp in the M8 all around, at 130+ degrees... it was expecting a little more. The other possibility is the differential, I'm only at around 12 degrees/11% here, seems like you were around 18 degrees and rounding up to 19%... not sure if there's a threshold there, but it would just be related to the sun like @vic55 says. I get that on occasion too, but usually only 10 degrees or so.
Attached Images

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 09-23-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycam View Post
Maybe it's time to look into a licensing deal with Michelin
I could only wish, I tired the you tube thing for a bit but never found my thing to kick off subscribers....

I am however looking to really get into the hobby of racing, thought an M2 would be a good starting point, used one.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:
same here... the only warnings I have gotten were low cold pressures prior to getting on the track... or the "engine compartment hot" notice when opening the hood to aide in cooling.

Quote:
When you say this, what do you mean by "good" exactly? Did TPMS have them all green? 38-42 is a good cold temp for the M850, but it might actually be a little low for 113 degrees.

This notice was just due to low pressures for the temp at the track, we should be at 32 degrees cold temp in the M8 all around, at 130+ degrees... it was expecting a little more. The other possibility is the differential, I'm only at around 12 degrees/11% here, seems like you were around 18 degrees and rounding up to 19%... not sure if there's a threshold there, but it would just be related to the sun like @vic55 says. I get that on occasion too, but usually only 10 degrees or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Yep that is the type of warning I get when the pressure is too low and generally it is due to the air in the tires compressing with a swing in temperature to colder mornings. In fact like clockwork it will happen in November when the temperature drops.

Oddly though for the M850i 32 is the minimum tire pressure on the front but it is something higher for the rears but can't remember the exact amount. Will check later this evening when back home as out with the wife and using her X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:50 PM   #15
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Temps will vary based on where the car is sitting in relation to the sun... today is very hot in SoCal so if your front left was exposed to the sun, it will be higher in temps for sure.

I have seen this quite often based on what the exposure was.
From another hot location, this observation is spot on from my experience.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519353.00
      09-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
We've had some unseasonably cold days here in Phoenix over the weekend due to a significant rain storm. I used it as an opportunity to check the TPM on the M850i before and during a drive on Saturday. I checked the door sticker for the PSI recommendations that I use whenever I need to top off the air in the tires after a TPM warning. With the stock Pzero's the sticker recommends 36 and 39 PSI for the front and rears respectively.

Prior to starting the car the TPM was reporting green although both the front and rears were below the recommended PSI due to the air compression from the cold weather. If memory serves the fronts will go yellow at 33 but I've never had the rears go yellow at all. During the drive the PSI went up on both the front and the rears but the tire temp never hit above 105 degrees.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We've had some unseasonably cold days here in Phoenix over the weekend due to a significant rain storm. I used it as an opportunity to check the TPM on the M850i before and during a drive on Saturday. I checked the door sticker for the PSI recommendations that I use whenever I need to top off the air in the tires after a TPM warning. With the stock Pzero's the sticker recommends 36 and 39 PSI for the front and rears respectively.

Prior to starting the car the TPM was reporting green although both the front and rears were below the recommended PSI due to the air compression from the cold weather. If memory serves the fronts will go yellow at 33 but I've never had the rears go yellow at all. During the drive the PSI went up on both the front and the rears but the tire temp never hit above 105 degrees.
Cool day plus easy on the break pedal = low temps.
With fall and winter, you'll be hard pressed to get above 100 degrees even in the desert.

Also mine has a "recommended psi" above the actual psi. I'm not sure why your doesn't show the temperature computer numbers psi.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With fall and winter, you'll be hard pressed to get above 100 degrees even in the desert.

Also mine has a "recommended psi" above the actual psi. I'm not sure why your doesn't show the temperature computer numbers psi.
By "temperature computer numbers" do you mean the recommended PSI above the actual PSI? Both my wife's X5 iDrive 6 TPM and the 2020 M850i on iDrive 7 03/2021 only show the actual PSI in the TPM screen and no indicator on recommended PSI, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

By "temperature computer numbers" do you mean the recommended PSI above the actual PSI? Both my wife's X5 iDrive 6 TPM and the 2020 M850i on iDrive 7 03/2021 only show the actual PSI in the TPM screen and no indicator on recommended PSI, etc.
yeah, I'll take a picture next time. it's the psi that the "computer" thinks you should have. right above the actual temperature and psi
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Curious anomaly.
Name:  58209775-FF08-4CAD-A028-B4F43160C69A.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  159.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:19 PM   #21
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Quote:
Curious anomaly.
Attachment 2707074
Wonder if this has to do with what you have set in the tire settings. I have "other/special authorization" right now for my all seasons and no recommended psi. Also, maybe different for cars with increased speed limiter?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #22
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post
Wonder if this has to do with what you have set in the tire settings. I have "other/special authorization" right now for my all seasons and no recommended psi. Also, maybe different for cars with increased speed limiter?
Settings must play a part. Would expect 8er to be as smart or smarter than my Z4.
Appreciate 0