M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Android Auto - any updates

01-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Android Auto - any updates

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

Just bought an M850i and loving it, but the lack of Android Auto is frustrating.

I know I can mirror the screen, but that's a halfway house, so wondering whether anyone knew when Android Auto was coming to the 8 series?

I'd read rumours it would be Q1 2020, but anything clearer?

Thanks in advance,

M
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Hi all,

Just bought an M850i and loving it, but the lack of Android Auto is frustrating.

I know I can mirror the screen, but that's a halfway house, so wondering whether anyone knew when Android Auto was coming to the 8 series?

I'd read rumours it would be Q1 2020, but anything clearer?

Thanks in advance,

M
I doubt it will be retrofitted to older cars. I think it's only on new 2022 models.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I doubt it will be retrofitted to older cars. I think it's only on new 2022 models.
They are definitely not retrofitting but technically the only requirement is iDrive 7 which means we'll have the option for our 8's when it released (target is July). Catch-22 is since it is solely wireless only Pixel (and legacy Nexus) along with Samsung S8/Note8 up will work. Finally have something in my favor as although my Pixel 3 will not support the Digital Key at least it will work for Android Auto when released.

Entire press announcement can found here which includes dates as well as iDrive 7 being the sole requirement: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-from-mid-2020.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      01-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
They are definitely not retrofitting but technically the only requirement is iDrive 7 which means we'll have the option for our 8's when it released (target is July). Catch-22 is since it is solely wireless only Pixel (and legacy Nexus) along with Samsung S8/Note8 up will work. Finally have something in my favor as although my Pixel 3 will not support the Digital Key at least it will work for Android Auto when released.

Entire press announcement can found here which includes dates as well as iDrive 7 being the sole requirement: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-from-mid-2020.
Thanks for the info.

I wonder if it will something physical, or simply software?

If the latter, it could be coded into cars manufactured prior to Q2 2020.

M
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if it will something physical, or simply software?

If the latter, it could be coded into cars manufactured prior to Q2 2020.

M
sounds like it will be coded to all of us.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
sounds like it will be coded to all of us.
Excellent...means my coding friend can add it for me!

M
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Excellent...means my coding friend can add it for me!

M
The way I read the press release is the Android Audio enablement will done via an iDrive 7 update. Experience in my world of IT and software development leads me to believe it will be a full software update vs an over-the-air point release update. If that pans out all we'll need to do is have our dealers do the update. Of course if they do enable an over-the-air update there will be less friction to get the feature. Either way there should be no need whatsoever for custom coding.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-17-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
FYI on an update as to what we likely can expect. I've been perusing other Bimmerpost forums regarding the Connected Drive debacle and in the process stumbled across an old thread regarding Car Play. According to the poster when BMW enabled it all it took was an OTA update on his car vs a dealer visit for a full iDrive update. So looking good for July/August of this year with a frictionless enablement for all of us with iDrive 7.
Appreciate 1