M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 Competition: Road Review | Carfection 4K

12-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW M8 Competition: Road Review | Carfection 4K

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Fantastic video by Henry

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 9
VCP1390.00
Al Pină1838.50
rich8566608.50
themnmd1687.00
oz555671.00
GerryM5249.50
      12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

I'm holding my dollars until the Alpina version of the 8 platform is released. They usually strike the perfect balance of sportiness and refinement.
      12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Great car, wrong price, but definitely a good buy used... with a warranty of course

I definitely agree w/ the convertible part, even though I know many won't agree, it is probably the best version for this car if you are looking for more of a GT - as the M8 is definitely more luxury than sport - between the two, at least until the Gran Coupe arrives.
paliknight2186.50
georgere584.50
spuntyb4051.50
      12-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Enjoyable review from HC, one of the very best car journalists out there, imo.
Nice enough car but wouldn't be my first choice if I had that sort of money to spend.
      12-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

I dont get the 8 series. It's too small to fit 4 persons properly, so it loses to the S Coupe, Bentley, etc. But it's also too big and heavy to duke it out against the 911 or any other serious sportscar out there.

Its interior is also absolutely horrible. The digital display is cheap looking, lacks adjustability, colour, or proper looking dials. The central console is a mess (yeah i know they tried to mimic the old 8, it still looks like shit).

What the hell is this car? The only one that makes sense is the Gran Coupe version, which at least sits 4 and it's a proper sedan, so you accept the weight and size of it.
Appreciate 11
      12-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerReiter View Post
I dont get the 8 series. It's too small to fit 4 persons properly, so it loses to the S Coupe, Bentley, etc. But it's also too big and heavy to duke it out against the 911 or any other serious sportscar out there.

Its interior is also absolutely horrible. The digital display is cheap looking, lacks adjustability, colour, or proper looking dials. The central console is a mess (yeah i know they tried to mimic the old 8, it still looks like shit).

What the hell is this car? The only one that makes sense is the Gran Coupe version, which at least sits 4 and it's a proper sedan, so you accept the weight and size of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerReiter View Post

Sometimes it's all about exclusively

Car does look Boss in person
Appreciate 2
dezzracer1173.50
Al Pină1838.50
      12-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Stepback3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Access by BMW

I'm in the Access by BMW program and I've driven just about every 2019/2020 model currently available.

I have had both the m850i Gran Coupe and the m850i Convertible. I put over 1,000 miles on each.

I drove the convertible from Washington DC down through Shenandoah (Skyline Drive) and the entire 469 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Having driven both I can honestly say they have been the best BMWs I've ever driven. I was shocked but it's true. It's not just a rebadged M6.

It's not as mean as the M3 but it still has power and torque aplenty. The M5 is quicker but the 8 is way more refined.

I find the 8 to have the perfect blend of power, tech, comfort and luxury. It's agility is nearly as good as the excellent m340 which is saying something for a car this big.
Appreciate 5
Al Pină1838.50
Fuller1216.50
530iDriver1707.50
Omar8178.00
      12-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

M8 Grand Coupe is nearly perfect regardless of price.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m4 csl 992 turbo S

Garage List
The best m car

It's ridiculous how you guys see soo much flaw about this car and nothing good? Smh well as a owner of about 10 m cars it's the best I ever had , perfect job bmw I'm a very happy owner!!!🙏🏽
Appreciate 6
noushy1650.00
flanast148.50
530iDriver1707.50
clee1982796.00
jwe45bb21.00
      12-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgod View Post
It's ridiculous how you guys see soo much flaw about this car and nothing good? Smh well as a owner of about 10 m cars it's the best I ever had , perfect job bmw I'm a very happy owner!!!🙏🏽
They fault it against those other cars but they forget every day drive ability and reliability. The ride is firm but still comfortable. The steering is quick and precise, the fit and finish is the best to date from BMW and the car looks so special in person. It is so much easier to drive than the 911, attracts way less attention than the Aston or Bentley but still exclusive enough to rarely see another one. Yes it's expensive but much cheaper than a R8 or those other cars plus service and reliability and a solid dealer network makes it easy to own. And leasing is far better than VAG cars like Audi and Bentley that have horrid residuals and terrible rates.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #11
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Quote:
They fault it against those other cars but they forget every day drive ability and reliability. The ride is firm but still comfortable. The steering is quick and precise, the fit and finish is the best to date from BMW and the car looks so special in person. It is so much easier to drive than the 911, attracts way less attention than the Aston or Bentley but still exclusive enough to rarely see another one. Yes it's expensive but much cheaper than a R8 or those other cars plus service and reliability and a solid dealer network makes it easy to own. And leasing is far better than VAG cars like Audi and Bentley that have horrid residuals and terrible rates.

Noushy
The option that this car has no Porsche no Bently no Ferarri or Lambo will never do and is to able to click one button and go rwd/awd what other coupe does that, it was like magic with my old f90 and this m8 it's just amazing out of this world, the features are just next to non!
Appreciate 2
flanast148.50
clee1982796.00
      12-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
Easier to drive than the 911?

The M8 does look great and has great features but for that price point I was hoping bmw would have released a super car or exotic of some sort. At least something handcrafted or a bit more unique.

At the end of the day though if the owners are happy with it then that's all that really matters. I believe the criticism on this forum stems from the misconception that the 8 series is the successor to the 6 series regardless of whether that's true or not.
      12-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #13
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Compromise Is Not Always A Good Thing

For all the wait, the M8 should have been great but sadly it ain’t...
Sorry for the silly rhyme but it is just frustrating to hear all reviews on this car.
The clear theme is this car has some outstanding elements but misses the mark on account that it can’t quite shine in one particular area.

It has the legs to go fast but it about 150KG too heavy. It has the material quality and substance but the style is too controlled and toned down to raise the heart beat. It is substantial in size yet has little space to accommodate.

In short it is a jack of all trades that masters none and when set out to build a car like this it needs to be inspire desire.

In the end in trying to be the ultimate car for everyone it has sadly fallen short.

Let’s hope that M8 GC hits one of those touch points and gives 8 the greatness it deserves .
Appreciate 4
mgod483.50
Al Pină1838.50
KoenG1417.50
GGG333603.50
      12-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #14
MForSpeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Great review
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #15
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
For all the wait, the M8 should have been great but sadly it ain’t...
Sorry for the silly rhyme but it is just frustrating to hear all reviews on this car.
The clear theme is this car has some outstanding elements but misses the mark on account that it can’t quite shine in one particular area.

It has the legs to go fast but it about 150KG too heavy. It has the material quality and substance but the style is too controlled and toned down to raise the heart beat. It is substantial in size yet has little space to accommodate.

In short it is a jack of all trades that masters none and when set out to build a car like this it needs to be inspire desire.

In the end in trying to be the ultimate car for everyone it has sadly fallen short.

Let’s hope that M8 GC hits one of those touch points and gives 8 the greatness it deserves .
Bmw has been about building versatile cars that are competent at everything and appeal to a relatively broad market though. Part of the problem is that versatile cars, that don't shine in one particular area, are less exciting for a reviewer that has the car for a limited time. The limitations inherent in more focused models might be less bothersome for a car reviewer who just wants to put the car through its paces for several hours.

On the contrary, for an owner who lives with car everyday, one comes to appreciate all of the things it does well. Where the car reviewer, driving the car in a relatively limited context, sees a car that lacks focus or "character", an owner is more likely to embrace its versatility. One can have fun with the car on a windy backroad, but also have a refined, comfortable, safe luxury car for impressing clients or driving your parents in law to the airport. Add to that the range of trim levels within each model line, and there exists a whole other dimension of versatility and attributes to appeal to a broad palate.
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1838.50
      12-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Well said. These cars are rare. I would estimate maybe 3 actual owners on the forums currently. Everyone loves the car. So much criticism from others that most likely never even driven the car or spent maybe 15
Mins on a test drive. There are better cars out there. There is always something better.

If you have the opportunity to own one I am sure you will not feel disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Bmw has been about building versatile cars that are competent at everything and appeal to a relatively broad market though. Part of the problem is that versatile cars, that don't shine in one particular area, are less exciting for a reviewer that has the car for a limited time. The limitations inherent in more focused models might be less bothersome for a car reviewer who just wants to put the car through its paces for several hours.

On the contrary, for an owner who lives with car everyday, one comes to appreciate all of the things it does well. Where the car reviewer, driving the car in a relatively limited context, sees a car that lacks focus or "character", an owner is more likely to embrace its versatility. One can have fun with the car on a windy backroad, but also have a refined, comfortable, safe luxury car for impressing clients or driving your parents in law to the airport. Add to that the range of trim levels within each model line, and there exists a whole other dimension of versatility and attributes to appeal to a broad palate.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

im excited to hopefully get that green and gold launch edition gran coupe. they are going to depreciate to a good price in the next few years
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

The M850i is at least in the same ballpark as the others, and the power bump with the M8 will put it near par.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Why is everyone think M8 should be super car, maybe BMW will build a super car someday, but M8 is a GT and very good at it.
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1838.50
mgod483.50
      12-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #21
hoffmeister
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2016 M4, 2015 X5 5.0

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
The option that this car has no Porsche no Bently no Ferarri or Lambo will never do and is to able to click one button and go rwd/awd what other coupe does that, it was like magic with my old f90 and this m8 it's just amazing out of this world, the features are just next to non!
As a former f90 owner how do you compare the drive/handling/sound/feel of the car especially when you push it hard? Was it worth the change other than for the aesthetics?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
mgod
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
As a former f90 owner how do you compare the drive/handling/sound/feel of the car especially when you push it hard? Was it worth the change other than for the aesthetics?
The main reason I switch was too many people were getting them they become soo common in New York lol, also I neeed something more exotic looking sometimes many people would mistake it for a normal 5 series lol which I don't really care but the only m car that really stands out with all the curves and distinct look was this car, you should see when people see this car it wow them most people don't even know bmw makes n m8 lol, now for performance I'll say this car blew my expectations it's a very heavy car it weighs pretty much same as the m5 but the way it handles is no different from my old m4, also when I get inside this car it feels wayyyy more special then my m5 it feels like a custom interior... it's soooo much to say about it I'm extremely happy with the transition between the m5 Comp to m8 Comp, didn't regret the swap one bit...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5