M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Auto Refi advice needed

03-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #45
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It is immediately apparent that detroitm2 has never worked outside of the US.
Thats just not at all true. While I cannot speak specifically about Australia or Canada, I have worked in a (large) number of foreign countries (i.e. more than 10). Even as an expat in those places, some certainly NOT first world countries, employment laws are far more laxxed.

Again, I cant speak specifically about Canada or Australia, as I've never been employed in those places, but I was previously a full time contractor that spent my time as a nomad over the course of several years, skipping across the globe and experiencing the culture of many places.

But this is wildly offtopic for what the original thread was about, so I'll leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
We have much more strict employment laws here than many other parts of the world.
lol that's a joke.

Look up at-will states like FL.
"Florida is an at-will state, which means an employer may fire, demote, hire, promote and discipline employees for pretty much any reason, or no reason at all."

Don't get me started on the crap companies pull to avoid overtime pay by declaring basically positions exempt from wage and overtime laws.

The USA has the least strict employments laws of any of the developed nations, don't fool yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I just let 200 people go in Kansas with near zero cost, doing the same in a few months in Ontario and it'll cost like $5K per employee.

Don't fret for the Kansas folks, they all found another job in about 4 seconds, massively saturated market which is why we needed out.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #48
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The USA has the least strict employments laws of any of the developed nations, don't fool yourself.
Please don't generalize if you do not have direct experience here. I know a number "developed nations" that are far more laxxed than the US.

Again, this is wildly off-topic. If you want to talk about it further, open another thread. I'm not going to go into details here and shit all over this guys thread about AUTO FINANCING.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #49
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Please don't generalize if you do not have direct experience here. I know a number "developed nations" that are far more laxxed than the US.

Again, this is wildly off-topic. If you want to talk about it further, open another thread. I'm not going to go into details here and shit all over this guys thread about AUTO FINANCING.
The auto financing was answered and done now.

I am genuinely curious which developed countries you are aware of that have more lax employment laws than the US does. I have worked as an expat in a few european countries and the difference is night day.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #50
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

The auto financing was answered and done now.

I am genuinely curious which developed countries you are aware of that have more lax employment laws than the US does. I have worked as an expat in a few european countries and the difference is night day.
India, Belgium, and Turkey are probably the most developed off the top of my head.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      03-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #51
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

India and Turkey are developed now? Fuck me that was fast.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #52
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
India, Belgium, and Turkey are probably the most developed off the top of my head.
I have only visited those places, although some research into Belgium has actually taught me a lot this morning. Pretty damn interesting how the people there think and how the country runs compared to the US. From my limited research the laws seem similar to the us (at will contracts) with some extra liberties (good social welfare system so no reason for recourse by company or employee) which probably makes it a lot more lax in practice. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #53
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
India and Turkey are developed now? Fuck me that was fast.
Mumbai is extremely developed, which is where I was living. Not to mention the culture is amazing.

As for Turkey, its less developed than India (its also a lot smaller). But there are some "developed" cities such as Istanbul, or Izmir, which is where I was living. I've never been to another place in the world that had more history than Turkey, theres so much sight seeing to do, I'd love to go back someday. HOWEVER, being American, its not really the best time. I was cautioned regularly to stay away from crowds due to the possibility of terrorist attacks coming out of Syria. Theres actually places in the country where they will not allow you to travel as an American, mostly in the southeast part of the country.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #54
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Gimmie a break, you can't cherry pick cities. They can barely feed themselves (India) or run themselves sans bloodshed (Turkey).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Gimmie a break, you can't cherry pick cities. They can barely feed themselves (India) or run themselves sans bloodshed (Turkey).
True, but the same could be said about a number of other countries. If you filter out the large cities, you'll find a much different picture as a whole.

Based on some quick googling, it looks like India overall has roughly a 23% poverty rate. Where the US has about 15%, and Canada about 17%. Going across the pond, the poverty rate in the UK is at roughly the same as India..

As for Turkey, its not the Turkish government thats the problem. its the terrorists coming out of Syria/Iraq.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #56
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I was too tired to say it. Insane.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      03-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #57
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
Hi all,

When I had initially purchased my M3, I unfortunately fell for the salesman's rhetoric. This being my first large purchase through financing, I was sold a high rate (9.9%) with the promise that 6 months of on time payments, I could refinance to a lower rate. The 6 months have since passed, so I attempted to refi with my current bank with no luck. I have spent as much energy as I am willing to try to have them to stick to their word. I no longer want to give them my business.

So I have been exploring other lenders. I have received a quote for 7.49% which is less than my current rate, however they were "requiring gap insurance" in order to get that rate. This seemed very shady to me, as I have positive equity in the vehicle of about $3,000.

My current car payments make up just 6.5% of my monthly pre-tax income, my credit score is a 675, and I owe less than 2k on all other debts including credit cards. I am young, with only 4 years of credit history, so perhaps this plays a part into why I am seeing rates like these.

Looking for some guidance on how to find the best rates here, as I do not want to make another mistake with a bad lender.

Best,

Gatsby
I put my my twin girls on my oldest credit card as authorized users, when they was (16) it helped

Ask any family or friends if they can add you to a credit card that is (old) zero balance, a old trade line you linked to helps, I like discover they report to all 3 reporting agencies the first Friday of every month, attached to a old card adds points to

Remind them they will keep the physical card, it's just a hack to share the credit
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #58
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Bro - I have traveled extensively and also resided in Turkey for a time, along with many other countries. To say that India or Turkey are 'developed' or 'first world' countries is absurd.

You also cannot compare federalized poverty rates between countries - it's apples and oranges. The federal poverty rate in the United States is higher than the income level of approx 99% of every person living in India.

The federal poverty level for a family of 3 in the United States is $29,435/yr. In India, it is designated as $1,370/yr. Less than 1% of the entire country of India makes more than $9,500 per year.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65953724.cms

Turkey's average Annual Income per Capita is $3,604/yr. The designated poverty level in Turkey for a family of 3 is $8,613/yr.

Stop spreading lies.

PPP is a better metric for tracking such things, per capita income doesn't factor in things like COL. But I get your point.

From my perspective, which was mostly inside majorly developed cities, they were quite modern and "first world." The larger picture may alter that. Either way, the statement that "The USA has the least strict employments laws of any of the developed nations" was false to begin with. I was offering my own experiences to contradict that.

I'm sure someone can google and find more examples of this.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #59
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
True, but the same could be said about a number of other countries. If you filter out the large cities, you'll find a much different picture as a whole.
Yeah, I suppose if you did that to the United States, you'd basically be left with a mix between the Wild Wild West and the UncleDaddy Cletus show.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22426.50
      03-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #60
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Yeah, I suppose if you did that to the United States, you'd basically be left with a mix between the Wild Wild West and the UncleDaddy Cletus show.
It depends on what you consider large. Even the smaller towns are pretty first world around here.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      03-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #61
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on what you consider large. Even the smaller towns are pretty first world around here.
It's a joke. Make like the cat in your avatar and smile.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #62
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a joke. Make like the cat in your avatar and smile.
It's an illusion. Cats never smile.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #63
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
What would be the point of providing false information? I am seeking advice on a very specific situation, if this was in fact not my situation, it would render the advice useless. To clarify, I started building credit 4 years ago, but my average age of accounts is 2 years due to the recent auto loan. -- my issue.

I agree on the 9.9% rate, which is precisely why I am looking to get out of it. I was a young first time borrower, and I made a mistake. Lesson already learned.
I don't know, what's the point of anything on the Internet? I'm just giving you the reality that 675 is bad and the decision to borrow at 10% was ridiculous.

You are giving the impression you have your finances in order, but my sense is you don't and there is a reason you took the rate that you haven't disclosed.

Source: Years of experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #64
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Jeez, what’s the point of continuing to beat up on a guy who already said he made a mistake and is trying to correct it?
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
MrGatsby348.00
      03-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #65
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Jeez, what’s the point of continuing to beat up on a guy who already said he made a mistake and is trying to correct it?
Apparently you don't know any sadists, otherwise....the answer would be clear.

Either that or he's trying to perform a written version of Scottish martial arts. Which is basically headbutting and then kicking the guy when he's down.

I can say this because I have Scottish roots.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #66
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Jeez, what's the point of continuing to beat up on a guy who already said he made a mistake and is trying to correct it?
Apparently you don't know any sadists, otherwise....the answer would be clear.

Either that or he's trying to perform a written version of Scottish martial arts. Which is basically headbutting and then kicking the guy when he's down.

I can say this because I have Scottish roots.
The Glasgow kiss!
Appreciate 0