M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Nissan Armada vs. BMW X5 xDrive40i for towing

03-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Nissan Armada vs. BMW X5 xDrive40i for towing

Okay, so this thread is one of those silly, "Did I make the right decision?" type of threads. Bear with me here.

The wife and I were strongly considering a new X5 to replace our 2012 Volvo XC70 w/ 138k miles, but instead ended up buying a 2019 Nissan Armada SL (Hermosa Blue Pearl w/ Almond leather interior). I will be driving 8 hours to pick it up in Minnesota over the weekend. I'm excited, but a bit nervous that I might eventually regret not going with the X5.

The Volvo is currently my DD (will be selling it privately once I bring the Armada home), so the Armada will fill that role despite my preference to drive medium-sized vehicles instead of large, behemoth-sized SUVs. In addition to filling the DD role, this vehicle needed to comfortably fit a family of 2 adults, 1 toddler, and 1 more baby on the way, all while being able to tow pretty much anything, including my M240i on a trailer to HPDE events around the country.

I had spec'ed out a X5 xDrive40i to just under $70k with the 2-axle air suspension, which apparently is required to increase payload to > 1500 lbs. and make towing a 6000 lbs. trailer setup possible, while still leaving enough payload for passengers, cargo, etc. We were going to lease it since I only drive about 5k miles/year now not counting family vacations or road trips. Then, I thought about what would happen in 3 years when I need another tow vehicle. Lease buy-out was an option, but then I'm probably paying close to that $70k MSRP and also have to maintain a turbo-charged BMW on my own dime for the next decade, which is how long I'd like to keep this vehicle for.

So I started looking at alternatives. Considered a few pick-up trucks, but damnit do they annoy me when I see them driving around everywhere without anything in the cargo bed! I also checked a bunch of them out at the Chicago auto show a few weeks ago and was totally underwhelmed even with the new Ram trucks, new Silverado, etc. The interiors are so low-rent it's not even funny. Hard plastic everywhere and absolutely no luxury touches at all. They all look and feel so cheap from behind the steering wheel. It blows my mind that people pay $40k+ all day long for these things! And again, no one ever uses the bed or bothers to put a top over it to make it a little more practical and to add weight over the rear axle for adequate traction in snow and rain. What in the hell are all these people thinking and what am I missing? I mean literally every other car on the road here is a massive pick-up truck. Rant over.

Along came the Nissan Armada. I don't even remember how or why I came across it, but once I started looking at them, it just started to make more and more sense for what I needed. Naturally aspirated V8 w/ 390HP/394 lb-ft, so plenty of grunt for towing and should be low maintenance and reliable over the long-run. My first car at the end of high school was a hand-me-down 2001 Nissan Xterra. It was reliable and lasted 165k miles with nothing but fluid, tire, and brake maintenance before the exhaust manifold finally started leaking and I handed it down to my younger brother. I trust Nissan is still building good trucks. The Armada is rated at 8500 lbs. towing w/ stock payload >1500 lbs. No issues there with tongue weight or running out of Payload when towing my car. The interior is surprisingly a very nice place to be for a Nissan (it's really an Infiniti QX80 in every way except the Nissan badge), and I managed to negotiate to 20% below MSRP for an out the door price of just over $46k. I knew I wasn't going to get into an X5 for any less than $60k, so a comparative bargain to say the least.

So what could go wrong? Well, it's a gas-guzzling V8, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous that world governments will try to push the price of oil up to crazy highs over the next decade just to accelerate the automotive industry and general public's adoption of BEVs. For now, as mentioned, I don't drive much and the extra cost of gas on a vacation or road trip would be trivial with all the other costs involved. But still.. gas guzzler for sure at 14/19 mpg.

I could also get tired of driving such a large vehicle. I suppose it's good that I have my M240i for the warmer seasons, but going from that to the Armada back to back might be quite the shock.

Other than those few concerns, what else might I have overlooked? Any Nissan truck owners out there with feedback to share? Do you think I made the right call or was there a better truck out there for my particular needs?

Thanks for reading!
      03-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I would have gone with an F150. Pulling a trailer with an SUV compared to a light duty truck is no comparison. I had an SUV that could tow 6k lbs but with even 3k it felt dangerous. I own 5 pickups and its amazing the fuel mileage they can get. We get a consistent 20+ mpg with our f150s. Drive like a car too. The only good thing about an SUV is the cargo area, much better for a family. That said if you have a cap for the truck it solves that issue. Those Armadas are pretty nice looking, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Also I should add we had a Nissan Titan, notice I said had. Truck had so many cooling issues it was unbelievable. Also had a rear end go out. Most being pulled with that truck was just north of 2k lbs. It was a weekend warrior truck for sure. Our Ford's typically go 200k + with out major issues. Like I always tell people, what do you see being used by contractors the most? I've had Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Gmc, and Ford just does the job the best at the least long term cost. My SUV transmission didn't last long pulling a horse trailer. I have to look at things a little different since I use my for work and need to get the most use as,possible.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey Our03z4, really appreciate the input! What year was your Titan? What SUV were you towing with?

I can't knock the F150 for its reputation and utility, but I'm just not a fan of Ford as a corporation and would have a hard time supporting the brand. The family had a few Fords growing up (Windstar minivan, Mercury Cougar, and E150 van) and they were all shit vehicles that literally started to fall apart due to rust. Some expensive BS repairs too...especially that minivan. Even the much older Chrysler minivans w/ wood trim served us better.

I'd take a Ford GT if it was free, but that's where I draw the line with Ford. One of my neighbors is an ex-ZF employee who did a lot of work with Ford assembly lines, and he had nothing but negative stories to share with me as it relates to Ford's business ethics. Everything from how they handle vehicle production problems to warranty claims to safety recalls. Again, no thank you.
      03-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

If you're going to tow a vehicle, I wouldn't even consider an X5. It's just too small to safely pull a vehicle.

As someone else pointed out already, the max number doesn't really illustrate what it's like to pull something. You need to be able to control it, too.

Get the Armada or a dedicated tow truck.
      03-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

I've towed 8000lbs with my Land Cruiser 250 miles and it was smooth as can be. Granted it wasn't climbing mountains or anything but it was more than adequeate.

It's dead reliable, super comfortable and I've had no complaints other than poor gas mileage. But I didn't buy to be economical.

Land Cruiser > Armada all day every day. Find a nice CPO one and don't look back.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #7
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

My understanding is that wheelbase and track width have a lot to do with towing stability. Is that accurate? The Nissan seemed adequate here with a 121" wheelbase and a nearly 6000 lbs curb weight to win the "tug of war" battle with a trailer. My only concern was that the rear end will squat too much once loaded down vs. a pickup where the solid axle rear end is raked up to compensate for heavy loads that will level it out. That said, the fully independent front and rear suspension of the Armada is what contributes to the nice, comfortable ride for its passengers, so I thought this was more important for 99% of the time when I'm not pulling anything. I guess I will have to just wait and see how this thing handles a 6000 lbs rig behind it.
      03-01-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

We tow a 5,800lb travel trailer with our X5 4.8is. We have towed a lot of miles. It is a GREAT tow rig. Much better than most!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
Land Cruiser > Armada all day every day.
Absolutely. But I wanted to buy new so I can maintain it properly from day 1 and have peace of mind for the next 10 years. Interestingly enough, when I was researching the Armada, it was constantly compared to the likes of the Land Cruiser and G-wagon in terms of size and towing capability rather than the Tahoe, Yukon, etc. like I thought it would be competing with.
      03-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #10
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Hey Our03z4, really appreciate the input! What year was your Titan? What SUV were you towing with?

I can't knock the F150 for its reputation and utility, but I'm just not a fan of Ford as a corporation and would have a hard time supporting the brand. The family had a few Fords growing up (Windstar minivan, Mercury Cougar, and E150 van) and they were all shit vehicles that literally started to fall apart due to rust. Some expensive BS repairs too...especially that minivan. Even the much older Chrysler minivans w/ wood trim served us better.

I'd take a Ford GT if it was free, but that's where I draw the line with Ford. One of my neighbors is an ex-ZF employee who did a lot of work with Ford assembly lines, and he had nothing but negative stories to share with me as it relates to Ford's business ethics. Everything from how they handle vehicle production problems to warranty claims to safety recalls. Again, no thank you.

I hear ya. I just know what has worked well for me. Like I said I own 5 with no issues. Now I'll break down haha. Rust is their weak point for sure! I'm getting one of the aluminum bodies next so we'll see how that goes.

GMC envoy, back when they were the new kid on the block. Was nice but made like cheap like all GM cars back then.

I see people saying that their X5 pull fine but really what it comes down to is emergency maneuvers. With a trailer you'll jack knife in a heart beat, you won't know how it really handles until that point. Even in a f150 I've had some close calls. The 250 and 350 never an issue. Not trying to freak you out it's just after almost 1mil miles under my belt it would make me nervous. All these SUV and light duty trucks are becoming more and more capable, may pull like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:32 AM   #11
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:

And f250 is crap also. My cousin had a 2012 f250 he was at the dealer every month. Then he traded for a 2014 ram 2500 5 years later still has the truck with almost 150k miles on it, and had less issues in this 5 years with the ram then with the Ford in 2 years. Both trucks disel. Ford is crap and period.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I’d be looking at Mercedes gl diesel. Longer wheelbase and room for stuff.

I have the ML320 cdi, and it hauls my family and trailer with no issue with a rated 7500 lb tow capacity.

Stock is 398 torque, I have a piggyback for 478 torque. I also bought this vehicle second hand for $13k CAD....and without trailer gets about 11 to 12 km a tank of diesel easily

The newer ones have even more power (450 tq) , and keep in mind the turbo diesel has bags of torque down low where you want it.

Also, they’re luxurious vehicles and a pleasure to drive with excellent stability hauling trailers.

Diesel engines are notoriously long lasting with Mercedes being the best on the market.

Last edited by TomHudson; 03-02-2019 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
And f250 is crap also. My cousin had a 2012 f250 he was at the dealer every month. Then he traded for a 2014 ram 2500 5 years later still has the truck with almost 150k miles on it, and had less issues in this 5 years with the ram then with the Ford in 2 years. Both trucks disel. Ford is crap and period.
Wow, that's saying a lot for a person ( third party mind you) having one truck. That said I'm not a fan of diesels in the ford line-up, mine are all gas. Have to say my gas Dodge was THE worst truck I've had...period. The frame rusted out at 137k, had to be junked. Wasn't from lack of care either, just couldn't hold up to the jobs at hand. Like I said I have 2 f150's 2 f250's and a f350, if they didn't work well they would be gone tomorrow.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Can't wait to see your new ride, please report back.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #14
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I’ve had numerous trucks. In last 10 years: Ford F-150, f350 diesel, gmc2500hd diesel, two Nissan titans and 2 Nissan armadas.
Can’t beat the diesels for towing. But the Nissan’s imho are superior to the other tricks I had in regards to reliability and are pretty good for towing trailers under 8000 lbs. just have to really watch the hitch weight (not the hitch rating itself but the overall rear axle vehicle load). You can easily surpass the aramada load limits with passengers and fuel and a full rear compartment, then add the hitch load. I always ran 10 ply tires for towing and air bags to help my armadas and titans ride level.
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

240,000 on first armada and only maintenance was fluids. Not even brakes!
Titans were also good 140,000 on each and just fluids. Never changed a brake pad or anything. My fords and gmcs were massive expensive in repairs to suspension, axles seals, leaks, glow plugs (diesel thing).
Appreciate 1
CP911985.50
      03-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
If you're going to tow a vehicle, I wouldn't even consider an X5. It's just too small to safely pull a vehicle.

As someone else pointed out already, the max number doesn't really illustrate what it's like to pull something. You need to be able to control it, too.

Get the Armada or a dedicated tow truck.
Just need the x5d. Mine routinely tows my race car and anyone towing will know diesel is where it's at. Vehicle barely knows its towing as compared to a gas engine which shits the bed on mpg when towing.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would love nothing more than a new diesel SUV, but sadly, no one is offering them here in the US any longer. Not even BMW. I also looked at the Colorado 4-cyl diesel, but again, all the pickups I looked at seemed overpriced for what they were.

A MB with a turbo (diesel or not) scares the crap out of me. Do they even offer these new anymore or did they quit like BMW?
      03-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Just need the x5d. Mine routinely tows my race car and anyone towing will know diesel is where it's at. Vehicle barely knows its towing as compared to a gas engine which shits the bed on mpg when towing.
My comment wasn't about power at all. It's about control. Towing 5,000 pounds with a 4,500 vehicle just isn't ideal for safety and control.
      03-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Alright never had an issue, brake booster control unit for trailer brakes and good to go. Never saw how having a porky truck helps much. Think my x5d is 5300 also, fat enough

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 03-02-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      03-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I would love nothing more than a new diesel SUV, but sadly, no one is offering them here in the US any longer. Not even BMW. I also looked at the Colorado 4-cyl diesel, but again, all the pickups I looked at seemed overpriced for what they were.

A MB with a turbo (diesel or not) scares the crap out of me. Do they even offer these new anymore or did they quit like BMW?
Don't know much about the new Mercedes disels. But the old ones 90's early 2000's were the best disel motors. Look at sprinters those 6 cylinder disels run forever. But the new ones with the 4 cylinder I hear bad stuff about them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #21
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Wow, that's saying a lot for a person ( third party mind you) having one truck. That said I'm not a fan of diesels in the ford line-up, mine are all gas. Have to say my gas Dodge was THE worst truck I've had...period. The frame rusted out at 137k, had to be junked. Wasn't from lack of care either, just couldn't hold up to the jobs at hand. Like I said I have 2 f150's 2 f250's and a f350, if they didn't work well they would be gone tomorrow.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Can't wait to see your new ride, please report back.
You must be one of those people that support (American build) even if it's the worst car, with non end problems. I know plenty of people who moved away from Ford because they are crap.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
My comment wasn't about power at all. It's about control. Towing 5,000 pounds with a 4,500 vehicle just isn't ideal for safety and control.
The GL320 CDI and GL350 bluetec are impressive stable vehicles, and weigh in around 4800 lbs.

I have the ML320 CDI and tows trailer, the guys and all the gear without a hiccup on the road, no worries about hills and just hauls ass on a sea of torque.

The vehicles are rated for tow capacities with vehicle weight in mind
Appreciate 0