M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Collision avoidance issues - sold the car!

06-22-2023, 12:43 AM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Collision avoidance issues - sold the car!

There is an issue where my M850i will randomly have the collision avoidance trigger and it happens about once every 2 days. It's always from the right side and sometimes the vehicle will also swerve to the left. Tonight it happened again while I was driving on a 2 lane paved road out in the country. No trees, nothing else around. I had lane keep on and was driving 73kph. The swerve caught me completely by surprise and the lane keep instantly disengaged.

I just got the car back from the dealership for this issue and they tell me there's no new faults. This is the second time I've had them look at the car for this issue. It's always happened in the 10 months I have had the car, but is happening far more frequently in the past 2 months.

The rear bumper was replaced, painted and then repainted (bad paint match) in Feb/March.

I saved the incident with drive recorder. Happens at the 11 second mark and since it startled me I ended up swerving back to the right to correct it.

Last edited by Rob_G77; 10-21-2023 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

This is unsettling for sure Rob. You poor guy, your road with this car has been a pain for sure. Not sure what to say when the dealer can't even fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 11:17 AM   #3
Davesrb
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 840i, '24 X6 40i, '19 X7

Garage List
2019 BMW X7  [9.00]
2024 BMW X6 40i  [7.50]
2023 BMW 840i  [0.00]
I hate the intermittent problems that the dealership can never seem to duplicate. It's great that you can catch it with drive recorder! I had a similar issue in my Ram TRX when I was reversing the truck would sense something in the way and apply the brakes, when there was nothing there. The dealership never could figure it out, and resorted to replacing every possible component that could cause the issue, but never fixed it.
My wife's 2019 X7's semi autonomous driving has worked very well, but on 4 separate occasions on the same stretch of road that has long lines of shinny patched asphalt like the road you were on, the car indexed off the asphalt line and not the painted lines and started taking her into the incoming traffic lane.
Good luck! I hope they can fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #4
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post
I hate the intermittent problems that the dealership can never seem to duplicate.
Exactly! As a tech orientated person I realize that it's not always easy to trouble shoot, let alone fix these types of issues. But, if the service department just says "can't reproduce" and won't take it any further then that in itself is a problem. They need to create a case with BMW.

I stopped by the dealership again today to tell them it is still happening and I want an escalation on this. The service advisor told me the techs will drive and and see if they can reproduce it. So I asked him what does that accomplish because we already know it's happening. And if they can't reproduce it that doesn't mean a fault doesn't exist. I told them it's happening way more frequently the past few months to the point of once every day or two. Always from the right side as well. There must be a counter for how many times the system activates?

Dealership service departments don't seem to like these types of issues. Maybe it ties up their techs too long for where they are not getting paid by BMW?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:47 AM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Yesterday while driving home the collision detection activated twice within 15 minutes. The first time the steering wheel just vibrated a bit because I've just pulled out of a parking lot and am driving slow. The second time was annoying as hell because I was on the highway trying to merge right for an exit and suddenly the car decides it wants to swerve left instead.

I don't understand why I have to take the car back again for the dealership to drive it around trying to duplicate the issue. I now have 3 drive recordings of the issue happening and surely there must be some kind of diagnostic record for how many times the system is activating. It's also getting to be a more serious issue when it's causing sudden, unexpected vehicle movement on the highway.

Unfortunately the drive recordings don't really show much of what happens if I am able to fight the wheel and keep it from mostly swerving left.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
It's also getting to be a more serious issue when it's causing sudden, unexpected vehicle movement on the highway.
Rob
Sorry this is happening to you - My '22 M850 isn't experiencing anything like this so I definitely think there is a case to be made in terms of a specific issue with your car.

Also, I copied a portion of your text because here in Colorado, we have a lot of bicyclists in the right shoulder and I would be very nervous about that - you may want to mention this to BMW as a potential liability issue; maybe that will help get some attention.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      07-04-2023, 01:45 AM   #7
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
This is unsettling. Which model year is this?
I also noticed something similar with my G70 - it would randomly detect obstacles and go into full emergency brake state when there's nothing around. Seems like sensor glitches
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 04:30 AM   #8
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
This is unsettling. Which model year is this?
I also noticed something similar with my G70 - it would randomly detect obstacles and go into full emergency brake state when there's nothing around. Seems like sensor glitches
It's a 2022 M850i Convertible.

I'm assuming it's the right rear sensor because the blind spot detection light in the side mirror also lights up when this happens.

I have an appointment on Friday July 7th to take the car back again to the dealership for the issue.

I would hate to have a faulty front sensor slamming on the brakes like you describe. That sounds downright dangerous!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 08:46 AM   #9
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Today is the day I take the car back again to the dealership. Yesterday the collision avoidance triggered again, but this time the amber blind spot warning light in the passenger side mirror was flickering on and off for several seconds.

Rob
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      07-07-2023, 12:07 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Today is the day I take the car back again to the dealership. Yesterday the collision avoidance triggered again, but this time the amber blind spot warning light in the passenger side mirror was flickering on and off for several seconds.

Rob
Step 1 for dealers is to do an iStep upgrade (software) and then run the test plan for the safety nanny systems. If all tests pass (as they typically do with intermittent issues) you ll get the car back with a note saying it's a software issue and they've upgraded the software.
You may wish to remind them about the body work as it is possible the body shop damaged a sensor or wiring, etc. In the US work done by a BMW certified body shop comes with a long warranty and in no way degrades your factory warranty. So, if the body shop did cause damage you tell the dealer to work it out with them. Assuming it's the same warranty in your market. Good luck.
      07-09-2023, 07:09 AM   #11
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Step 1 for dealers is to do an iStep upgrade (software) and then run the test plan for the safety nanny systems. If all tests pass (as they typically do with intermittent issues) you ll get the car back with a note saying it's a software issue and they've upgraded the software.
You may wish to remind them about the body work as it is possible the body shop damaged a sensor or wiring, etc. In the US work done by a BMW certified body shop comes with a long warranty and in no way degrades your factory warranty. So, if the body shop did cause damage you tell the dealer to work it out with them. Assuming it's the same warranty in your market. Good luck.
When I made an appointment, I asked them to open a case with BMW because it was an intermittent issue. I dropped the vehicle off friday and thought I was getting it back again by end of day after more troubleshooting. Instead, I was told one of the techs was going to drive the vehicle and I wasn't going to get it back until next week. That was unexpected, but I do want the issue identified and fixed.

I woke up early at 6am on Saturday and decided to see if my car was still at the dealership. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was at a golf course. It was there for 4 hours and then whoever was driving it was doing so top down. The car made stops at several destinations throughout the afternoon and then it was parked for the evening.

I mentioned this to the sales people on Satuday and they freaked out, saying that wasn't appropriate.

I'm just trying to get my car fixed, but at the same time I don't want other people driving it like they own it. The dealership trying to duplicate the issue does nothing except confirm what I have been saying has been happening. The guy driving it isn't going to have any magical insight where he will know what the problem is as soon as it happens. Driving the car for the weekend could be construed as taking advantage of a customer to enjoy their vehicle, especially when you're driving it top down to a golf course.

Rob
Appreciate 1
ElloM815.00
      07-09-2023, 07:20 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I made an appointment, I asked them to open a case with BMW because it was an intermittent issue. I dropped the vehicle off friday and thought I was getting it back again by end of day after more troubleshooting. Instead, I was told one of the techs was going to drive the vehicle and I wasn't going to get it back until next week. That was unexpected, but I do want the issue identified and fixed.

I woke up early at 6am on Saturday and decided to see if my car was still at the dealership. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was at a golf course. It was there for 4 hours and then whoever was driving it was doing so top down. The car made stops at several destinations throughout the afternoon and then it was parked for the evening.

I mentioned this to the sales people on Satuday and they freaked out, saying that wasn't appropriate.

I'm just trying to get my car fixed, but at the same time I don't want other people driving it like they own it. The dealership trying to duplicate the issue does nothing except confirm what I have been saying has been happening. The guy driving it isn't going to have any magical insight where he will know what the problem is as soon as it happens. Driving the car for the weekend could be construed as taking advantage of a customer to enjoy their vehicle, especially when you're driving it top down.

Rob
Horrible to hear this. Take screenshots of the cars location for your records. I suggest contacting the GM of the dealer and let them know this is unacceptable. I also suggest you tell them you'd like the car returned to the service lot (or you) today. At the very least the dealer should provide a full tank of fuel on pickup. Unfortunately some dealers have crap management that allows more senior techs, shop foreman, etc to take cars home with them. It's a bad practice that usually ends up with pissed off customers once their behavior is uncovered.

If the dealer isn't cooperative, involve BMW and demand the service manager make you an appointment with the BMW corporate after sales manager who visits dealers weekly or biweekly.

If your blood is boiling about this, you also have the option to contact law enforcement.... personally I'd leave that only as a last resort.

Good luck on all fronts.
      07-09-2023, 11:13 AM   #13
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Geez Rob, you've had nothing but trouble since you got the car. Your enjoyment level must be low. And you must be exhausted by this shit by now. Ever thought of selling it and moving on? It seems to have a curse on it.
Grab anther one or something different. I know....not a cheap solution. Or stick it out and make them fix it...if they can.
Anyway I feel for you man. You should not have to have had all this hassle on a nice car like the 8
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 11:44 AM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

OP, did that start happening before or after the rear bumper job? If after, at least you know 2 things: It's not the car's fault, and it's something related to the rear sensors. Sometimes even a fender-bender you weren't aware of, can trigger those kinds of issues.
At any rate, while the issue is fixed, I'd just turn off that feature every time you drive (since it resets itself to active every time). Or at least set it to 'alert' only, rather than 'assist'. I always turn that off on trips, since tight right turns with oncoming traffic can trigger a full momentary panic brake attack when the system thinks you're going to crash. Another is if you have to pass on the right, which is increasingly necessary where I live, since freaking truckers just refuse to move over. And all of that is without even cruise control engaged; it's the 'emergency braking' feature. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #15
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCtx View Post
OP, did that start happening before or after the rear bumper job? If after, at least you know 2 things: It's not the car's fault, and it's something related to the rear sensors. Sometimes even a fender-bender you weren't aware of, can trigger those kinds of issues.
At any rate, while the issue is fixed, I'd just turn off that feature every time you drive (since it resets itself to active every time). Or at least set it to 'alert' only, rather than 'assist'. I always turn that off on trips, since tight right turns with oncoming traffic can trigger a full momentary panic brake attack when the system thinks you're going to crash. Another is if you have to pass on the right, which is increasingly necessary where I live, since freaking truckers just refuse to move over. And all of that is without even cruise control engaged; it's the 'emergency braking' feature. Good luck.
The last thing I want is to have the system swerving the car right on the highway into oncoming traffic. Or swerving into a boulevard at driving speed.

The car is out at another golf course today, 1/2 hour outside of the city where I live. I wrote an email to the dealership manager and regional manager that I think this use of my car is not appropriate. I could see the car is being driven top down which is not a requirement of testing it. BMW Connected records all driving trips so I can see wherever the has been and currently is. I said I was basically given no other choice but to let them drive my car like this for personal use. They wouldn't open a case with BMW for further troubleshooting approval like replacing the radar sensor in the bumper.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob_G77; 07-09-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #16
danibear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S6 2022

What a shit show!!! I will do crazy things if people doing this to my beloved cars.

Luckily, I did not experience this. Like you, I will check connect app, mileage, and camera during any service & PPF period.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 01:45 PM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
The last thing I want is to have the system swerving the car right on the highway into oncoming traffic. Or swerving into a boulevard at driving speed.
Indeed. You can overcome that yourself, by the way, but I'd just turn it off until resolved. But yeah, it's not fun. I've had that, plus car slamming on the brakes thinking I was about to crash... and you cannot undo the latter. Fortunately, no cars right behind, but it scared the crap out of my wife, who was sleeping on the passenger seat. I'm fine with warnings, but not with intervention, especially since it defaults to on every time you drive the car. Oh well. Good luck with the fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #18
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

The idrive behind the mirror is the problem I guess. Could be the lazers being over sensitive. Or there are ghosts around . I presume all this can be switched off?? Collision avoidance and steering intervention can be adjusted . Where I live it would be a headache with it on . The steering wheel will take me into A&E I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 02:19 PM   #19
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

Last resort , I would contact BMW Germany and send them the vdo . This could lead to a recall if bmw have had similar issues before. Im an worse case scenario ( god forbid ) if there was an accident , then there would be a legal case open up against BMW .
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 05:18 PM   #20
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Update: I noticed in the BMW Connected App that there were tail light errors so I assumed they had the bumper off. I drove over to the dealership (Wednesday July 12) and confirmed they did take the bumper off. I asked for an update and was told a new radar sensor has been ordered for the right rear side and it should be here thursday or friday.

I snagged a few pictures of the car sitting in the compound. You can see the small, square radar sensors which are abot the size of a post card. I think that's them.....

Communication from the dealership has been horrible lately. Disappointing, but I know I didn't do anything wrong. I just have stood up for what I believe in which they certainly don't like.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob_G77; 07-12-2023 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 08:29 PM   #21
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Update:

The radar was replaced on the rear right of the car.

I went to take the car home today, but it had not been tested yet. I said I would test it driving it on the weekend. I got about 5 blocks from the dealership and the side collision avoidance kicked in again. I took the car back to the dealership and left it there.

Well, at least it's a verified issue so they can keep the car until it is fixed. I really hope that the bumper doesn't need to be replaced. If you don't know, it was replaced in January (damage) and then repainted because of a bad paint match.

I asked my sales guy if anything came up about my complaint of the car being used for personal use. I guess the shit did hit the fan at the dealership, but of course nobody said anything to me. The tech who drove the car was removed from working on it and something else happened too. It was never my intention to get anyone in trouble, but I think there was a certainly lack of judgement with using the car for 2 weekend golfing trips. I was given a $25 gas slip, but I didn't get a chance to use it.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 09:24 PM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If the body shop did not follow BMW repair procedures, then it's possible the problem is associated with the work they did.

Filler cannot be used on bumpers

Bumpers must be repainted using BMW approved primer, base and clear coats and at approved thicknesses..

Etc. Google it. Lots of discussion on this subject.