M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Sudden acceleration & crash!

03-04-2023, 12:28 AM   #45
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
^ That's because we have the M850i and we're inferior. The M8 doesn't have these types of petty issues
I know this was in jest but at the end of the day a fully loaded 8-series with driving assistance and driving assistance pro is one in the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:31 AM   #46
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I have noticed my M850's idle will surge significantly at times after a warm (not hot) re-start, like after I wash it. It certainly isn't normal and the first few times I had to check to see if the floor mat was getting stuck up against the gas pedal which of course it wasn't.
Odd as never have experienced that. What's your MY? I have a 2020 M85Oi with a October 2019 build date.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:39 AM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I dont even use that system, it scares me LOL.

But lets say my car just got washed and I pull it into the garage towards the end as I inch forward the rpms go crazy at times and it lurches vs a very slow roll... weird shit and thankfully Im all over the brake.

I know this is different than your situation but its still a BMW issue IMHO.
Are you using the parking assistance plus feature or just the parking distance controller (PDC) aka iDrive showing you the distances from obstacles?

Are you also using auto hold? After limeypride's advice I've been using auto hold for a couple of years now. It gets a little dicey when trying to inch your way into a parking spot as one needs to put enough on the gas to disengage the auto hold. I've got it down to a science now but when in doubt I just negate auto hold until parked.

Either way my 2020 M850i doesn't lurch, ramp up RPMs, etc.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      03-04-2023, 12:53 AM   #48
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMW14 View Post
Not sure if the issue you faced is related to what has been seen in the UK with misreading of speed signs. https://www.edge-ai-vision.com/2023/...i-driven-adas/
Personally I call out BS on the article. Why? Well at least for US builds the speed for full driving assistance pro is set by the user. That said I know in other regions there is a feature for the ACC component of full driving assistance pro to change the speed based on known (that's the kicker) speed limits. The car doesn't read signs whatsoever and if someone believes that they are absolutely clueless.

In the case cited Hello wake up and smell the coffee as the car is negated with a simple push of the button to turn of full driving assistance pro mode. Sure, the BMW NAV may had the wrong speed limit for the road but whom in their right mind doesn't negate the function if it's gone wild? User error and I live in the world of dealing with that daily.
Appreciate 1
Volcanic168.00
      03-04-2023, 01:29 AM   #49
Volcanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C Vert, 2007 M6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Personally I call out BS on the article. Why? Well at least for US builds the speed for full driving assistance pro is set by the user. That said I know in other regions there is a feature for the ACC component of full driving assistance pro to change the speed based on known (that's the kicker) speed limits. The car doesn't read signs whatsoever and if someone believes that they are absolutely clueless.

In the case cited Hello wake up and smell the coffee as the car is negated with a simple push of the button to turn of full driving assistance pro mode. Sure, the BMW NAV may had the wrong speed limit for the road but whom in their right mind doesn't negate the function if it's gone wild? User error and I live in the world of dealing with that daily.
I totally agree w/this. No way in hell does our 8 series 'read speed limit signs', that is just not the way it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:43 AM   #50
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanic View Post
I totally agree w/this. No way in hell does our 8 series 'read speed limit signs', that is just not the way it works.
I beg to differ. My 840 and 330 both occasionally read speed limit signs - one in particular 30mph sign on a slip road off a dual carriageway near me regularly gets read. Also on one memorable occasion I have had ‘cherries for sale 200 yards’ pop up on the dashboard when we passed a sign with that on!!

Both have Driver Assist Pro by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #51
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

I believe it does actually read the signs. While driving the 303 car always shows 65 as normal, but when there was construction and those temp signs are up it shows 55 then 45 etc.... On the same road. Only way I can see that happening is camera in the windshield is picking it up.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #52
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

This is correct. My M8 most certainly does read speed limit signs. Not a perfect implementation, though, since it seems to bias its speed-limit database and reverts back to that after some distance or period of time without seeing another sign.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:52 PM   #53
mcsarna
Rep
Drives: BMW M850 xi 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
All I can say is I hope there is a way to tell that it was in fact the car that did this (blackbox hopefully) and not a user error cause I can see the dealer, maker, insurance everyone saying it's not possible unless the most obvious proof slaps them in the face.
That was the first impression I got talking to the dealership & surprisingly, my insurance adjuster-they both seemed pretty sure, I would be found at fault!! It was when I asked for the senior management contact details at both my dealership & BMW NA that further investigation started to gain traction. I was contacted by BMW NA offices and they assured me a full investigation of my car would be performed and that it could take 3-4 weeks for the final report. Meanwhile, they have provided me with a loaner 7 series sedan which is too much of a car-should come with a chauffeur!
The cynic in me wonders about the veracity of the findings and objectivity of the investigation. Or am I being unfair?!

Last edited by mcsarna; 03-04-2023 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: added details
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      03-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #54
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
That was the first impression I got talking to the dealership & surprisingly, my insurance adjuster-they both seemed pretty sure, I would be found at fault!! It was when I asked for the senior management contact details at both my dealership & BMW NA that further investigation started to gain traction. I was contacted by BMW NA offices and they assured me a full investigation of my car would be performed and that it could take 3-4 weeks for the final report. Meanwhile, they have provided me with a loaner 7 series sedan which is too much of a car-should come with a chauffeur!
The cynic in me wonders about the veracity of the findings and objectivity of the investigation. Or am I being unfair?!
If you're truly concerned, I suggest filing a NHTSA complaint .
https://www.nhtsa.gov/resources-investigations-recalls#:~:text=Consumers%20who%20experience%20a%2 0vehicle,keyword%20on%20NHTSA's%20Recall%20page.
      03-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #55
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
This is correct. My M8 most certainly does read speed limit signs. Not a perfect implementation, though, since it seems to bias its speed-limit database and reverts back to that after some distance or period of time without seeing another sign.
Well call me a monkeys uncle but there is a stretch of neighborhood road by my house that for some unknown implementation heading west on it is 35MPH for a short section then 25 MPH through a school zone and then 40 MPH.

However, heading east on the same stretch it is 40, then the 25 and back to 40. The reason why I don't think the car reads the signs is when driving west the car states 40, then 25 and finally 40. So it doesn't either see the 35 MPH (in plain sight) sign or the road stretch is still marked 40 MPH in the NAV. Either way I adjust to the 35 even through in the HUD it says 40.

Hence, I've always assumed that the car gets it's data from the NAV and the GPS. Further info is it was originally 40 as well but guess the neighborhood complained on that street direction (people generally do 50 aka 10 over) so the city of Scottsdale threw up the 35 sign.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:22 PM   #56
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Back to the OP though there wasn't a speed limit sign in play whatsoever as he was parking. So perhaps two different topics and in his case something obviously seriously went wrong with the car.

If some remember Audi had this issue on one of the original quartos. After their investigation they claimed driver error but ultimately put more separation between the brake and accelerator pedals. Also, there has been issues with floor mats and some manufacturers adjusting them but as called in the thread that has had no play in the cases reported here.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:31 PM   #57
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Odd as never have experienced that. What's your MY? I have a 2020 M85Oi with a October 2019 build date.
Very late production 19 (July/19), happens every so often under the aforementioned conditions, do you wash your own car?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #58
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Very late production 19 (July/19), happens every so often under the aforementioned conditions, do you wash your own car?
No, have a mobile detailer do it in the driveway about every three weeks. Once they are done I start it up which would match your scenario (warm start) and put it in the garage. No surging RPMs, etc.

So sounds like we have multiple scenarios in play including mine which I haven't mentioned yet. Mine isn't car acceleration but rather collision control in which the car puts the brakes on itself. 1st time it happened was in a parking lot with no cars in front or the sides. I chalked it up to the rain puddles in the parking lot I was passing through throwing a reflection the car thought was another car immediately in front (the HUD showed the red vehicle symbol).

The second time it happened about three weeks back the wife and I were returning home from furniture shopping and I was passing several cars in the right lane (was in the center lane and no cars in the left). All of a sudden boom red car in the HUD, alarm going and the car started putting on the brakes. I figured one of the cars in the right lane got to close as the the full boat of driver's assistance packages includes side/cross traffic collision mitigation.

I was meaning to start a thread on it but now just throwing it into the mix here given it's becoming an exhaustive list of potential issues.

Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 03:38 PM   #59
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
No, have a mobile detailer do it in the driveway about every three weeks. Once they are done I start it up which would match your scenario (warm start) and put it in the garage. No surging RPMs, etc.

So sounds like we have multiple scenarios in play including mine which I haven't mentioned yet. Mine isn't car acceleration but rather collision control in which the car puts the brakes on itself. 1st time it happened was in a parking lot with no cars in front or the sides. I chalked it up to the rain puddles in the parking lot I was passing through throwing a reflection the car thought was another car immediately in front (the HUD showed the red vehicle symbol).

The second time it happened about three weeks back the wife and I were returning home from furniture shopping and I was passing several cars in the right lane (was in the center lane and no cars in the left). All of a sudden boom red car in the HUD, alarm going and the car started putting on the brakes. I figured one of the cars in the right lane got to close as the the full boat of driver's assistance packages includes side/cross traffic collision mitigation.

I was meaning to start a thread on it but now just throwing it into the mix here given it's becoming an exhaustive list of potential issues.

Anyone else experience this?
On your earlier post I also originally thought that the speed signs were coming from the SatNav. However, I was proved wrong when the car read a 30mph sign from a side road leading onto a dual carriageway where the speed was 60mph.

On your above post - yes I have had similar issues with my X4. Car decided to break as it thought I was going to hit a “car” infront but there was nothing there - think it picked up a couple of cyclists who were on the cycle lane left of me. And on other occasions it has stopped hard when reversing of an incline but again nothing behind me. A few months back driving in the rush hour in heavy traffic it suddenly breaked really hard and the van that was too close behind me went into the back of my car - thankfully no one hurt. After the most recent incident with the cyclists when I was on an open uncongested road, I have turned off all the assistance packages. Just don’t trust them anymore.

And if some of you are asking why a X4 owner is on the 8 forum, I am selling the car and upgrading soon! Although nervous with all these tech issues - don’t want them on my new car.
Volcanic168.00
      03-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #60
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On your earlier post I also originally thought that the speed signs were coming from the SatNav. However, I was proved wrong when the car read a 30mph sign from a side road leading onto a dual carriageway where the speed was 60mph.

On your above post - yes I have had similar issues with my X4. Car decided to break as it thought I was going to hit a “car” infront but there was nothing there - think it picked up a couple of cyclists who were on the cycle lane left of me. And on other occasions it has stopped hard when reversing of an incline but again nothing behind me. A few months back driving in the rush hour in heavy traffic it suddenly breaked really hard and the van that was too close behind me went into the back of my car - thankfully no one hurt. After the most recent incident with the cyclists when I was on an open uncongested road, I have turned off all the assistance packages. Just don’t trust them anymore.

And if some of you are asking why a X4 owner is on the 8 forum, I am selling the car and upgrading soon! Although nervous with all these tech issues - don’t want them on my new car.
Thanks for the insight as it aligns with my theory as to what happened in both my cases. I'm going to check if there is just a configuration to turn off the collision protection as I find the rest very useful. If memory serves there is a selecting on the collision detection for let's call it short, medium and long. Believe the default is medium distance so perhaps short will help avoid the stupidity. Not like I'm ever going to drive into the backend of the car in front of me as I always keep proper distance of car lengths depending on the speed, etc.

Oh and no reason to apologize for being on the forum. The more the merrier as it's all about sharing knowledge and I participate in other forums as well primarily to help with audio configs for the B&W but other topics as well given iD7 is universal across the series that have it.
Appreciate 2
SSBMW14369.00
Tejael64.00
      03-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #61
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Well call me a monkeys uncle but there is a stretch of neighborhood road by my house that for some unknown implementation heading west on it is 35MPH for a short section then 25 MPH through a school zone and then 40 MPH.

However, heading east on the same stretch it is 40, then the 25 and back to 40. The reason why I don't think the car reads the signs is when driving west the car states 40, then 25 and finally 40. So it doesn't either see the 35 MPH (in plain sight) sign or the road stretch is still marked 40 MPH in the NAV. Either way I adjust to the 35 even through in the HUD it says 40.

Hence, I've always assumed that the car gets it's data from the NAV and the GPS. Further info is it was originally 40 as well but guess the neighborhood hood complained on that street direction (people generally do 50 aka 10 over) so the city if Scottsdale threw up the 35 sign.
So, Uncle (that makes me the monkey, I guess)--it uses both but the database update timeframe as roads change is, well, as you'd expect. They really didn't complete their thought (so to speak) on the implementation of how these two data sources merge and are prioritized.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #62
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
So, Uncle (that makes me the monkey, I guess)—it uses both but the database update timeframe as roads change is, well, as you'd expect. They really didn't complete their thought (so to speak) on the implementation of how these two data sources merge and are prioritized.
And that's another kicker. For construction areas with temporary speed limit signs (lower the speed) it's hit or miss with the car. However, my JBV1 app integrated with the V1G2 always calls them out. It leverages GPS plus pulls in data via APIs from Google maps, Waze, etc. So BMWs combo of reading signs plus NAV data is lack luster vs JBV1 (unfortunately only Android so the iPhone folks can't use it).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 05:11 PM   #63
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the insight as it aligns with my theory as to what happened in both my cases. I'm going to check if there is just a configuration to turn off the collision protection as I find the rest very useful. If memory serves there is a selecting on the collision detection for let's call it short, medium and long. Believe the default is medium distance so perhaps short will help avoid the stupidity. Not like I'm ever going to drive into the backend of the car in front of me as I always keep proper distance of car lengths depending on the speed, etc.

Oh and no reason to apologize for being on the forum. The more the merrier as it's all about sharing knowledge and I participate in other forums as well primarily to help with audio configs for the B&W but other topics as well given iD7 is universal across the series that have it.
So as it turns out only frontal collision supposedly includes breaking. I've adjusted from the default "early" to "late" to see how that goes. Side collision (if one can trust the iD7 info) only includes steering assist and just on it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:37 AM   #64
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
This is an important point - I have this happen to me probably 50% of the time as I pass Brighton’s ground /Amex Stadium on the A27 heading westbound - it’s a 60mph dual carriageway and there is a slip road with a 30mph speed limit sign that my 840 ‘reads.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #65
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Are you using the parking assistance plus feature or just the parking distance controller (PDC) aka iDrive showing you the distances from obstacles?

Are you also using auto hold? After limeypride's advice I've been using auto hold for a couple of years now. It gets a little dicey when trying to inch your way into a parking spot as one needs to put enough on the gas to disengage the auto hold. I've got it down to a science now but when in doubt I just negate auto hold until parked.

Either way my 2020 M850i doesn't lurch, ramp up RPMs, etc.

Im using zero nannies, Im literally just inching into the garage and all of a sudden the rpms bump a little and I can feel the car getting more aggressive so Im always all over the brake.

It usually happens when cold of course and not after warm up driving. I think its a matter of being cold and the rpms bump but even in Drive.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
Volcanic168.00
      03-06-2023, 01:42 PM   #66
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Im using zero nannies, Im literally just inching into the garage and all of a sudden the rpms bump a little and I can feel the car getting more aggressive so Im always all over the brake.

It usually happens when cold of course and not after warm up driving. I think its a matter of being cold and the rpms bump but even in Drive.
That makes sense. I don't move the car around in the garage so when returning home it is always after warm up/drive. Even in the case of moving the car back into the garage after the mobile detailing on the driveway I wait until the second kick down of RPMs before engaging drive to move forward back into the garage.
Appreciate 0