M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus Supercar LF-A revealed.......!

10-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #177
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Actually I have driven an R8 (uncles) and my dad had a 430 before his 599 GTB, which I have also driven. Opps and yes he owned a 997 GT3 as well. So Ive driven all. The R8 I drove was a 8 cylinder version, and honestly it didnt feel any different from my friends RS4 I have also driven. Interior, Steering, and Handling all felt like an RS4. I really didnt understand and still dont on what all the hype is. The GT3 felt like a proper sports cars, as did the F430.
The plot thicken, all three cars mentioned are owned exclusively by your family. Well that would help with the comparisons, of that I have no doubt but it also puts into doubt your skills as a driver if you still don't see that the R8 is as good as it's priors.

This doubt became more obvious with your next senctence that the steering and handling felt the same as the RS4, the truth is they couldn't be further apart in these two things. If you had only just said the RS4 went as well as the R8 in a straight line then I would have been none the wiser, pity that.

Quote:
Aditionally, how many cars that are almost completely composite, and F1 dervieved engine that revs to 9000 rpm are there? I can think of only a few cars that even come to mind. Pagoni Zonda, McClaren F1, Carrera GT, Konesiegggggg? Whats the price tag on those?
I think you will find that this engine in the LF-A is not in fact as close to the F1 engine used in the Toyota race car as you believe it to be. Such a thing is impossible. The list of difference are vast.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 04:32 AM   #178
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

My new favourite super car!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #179
HiProfile Robs
CF JNKY
Rep
Drives: Z06

Big to Lexus on this one!
      10-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #180
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow now that looks exotic.. super cars watch out... now honda has to come out with the NSX... they HAVE TOO!!

R8... GTR... Lambos.. Ferraris and Porchses watchout...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #181
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The plot thicken, all three cars mentioned are owned exclusively by your family. Well that would help with the comparisons, of that I have no doubt but it also puts into doubt your skills as a driver if you still don't see that the R8 is as good as it's priors.

This doubt became more obvious with your next senctence that the steering and handling felt the same as the RS4, the truth is they couldn't be further apart in these two things. If you had only just said the RS4 went as well as the R8 in a straight line then I would have been none the wiser, pity that.

I think you will find that this engine in the LF-A is not in fact as close to the F1 engine used in the Toyota race car as you believe it to be. Such a thing is impossible. The list of difference are vast.

Ha. Sorry but sitting in an R8 is indeed like siting in almost any other Audi. It's not special at all. Everything is famliar. And yup, you're right. Im no pro-driver, a novice at best. I can only at best speak to turning around corners at 7/10s and ripping through freeway on ramps. At those momments, it felt like almost any other Audi Ive been in. If I used your logic, why pay 50k for a Audi when you can get a VW Passat that is almost identical mechanicially? I'll say it again, Audis are for metro-yuppies who want interior, and german styling. Road and Track compared a R8 V10 to a 430 Scuderia and said it wasnt even close. Even if they factored price into the equation So again I say it. The R8 is no comparison to a Ferrari. It's better matched against a Porsche 911. You obviously have a hard on for R8s, and thats cool. Its your e-peen.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #182
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

LF-A, IS-F... fail seems to run in the family
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #183
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

That car costs $400,000. Supercars watch out? Please. They're making 500 of those. Supercars watch out? Please. Costs more than a Ferrari, more than a GT-R, more than a Lamborghini, and doesn't have the pedigree.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #184
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

You could have this, or you could have a GT-R, Z06, GT2 and $30-40k left over to build a nice garage for them. Toyota is out of its damn mind with this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #185
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I bet the fuel pump will work and brake lens will stay in though

Nice ride though!
      10-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #186
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ha. Sorry but sitting in an R8 is indeed like siting in almost any other Audi. It's not special at all. Everything is famliar. And yup, you're right. Im no pro-driver, a novice at best. I can only at best speak to turning around corners at 7/10s and ripping through freeway on ramps. At those momments, it felt like almost any other Audi Ive been in. If I used your logic, why pay 50k for a Audi when you can get a VW Passat that is almost identical mechanicially? I'll say it again, Audis are for metro-yuppies who want interior, and german styling.
Well then up to a point I would agree that the R8 is in the same ball park of feel as an RS4 when simply accelerating in freeway ramps and driving at 7/10th, the same is true for most brands because it the feel that makes them all unique to each other, every Audi feels like an Audi, the same for a BMW and all brands. But it's when you venture beyond the 7/10th the R8 comes alive compared to the RS4 and most other things.

Quote:
Road and Track compared a R8 V10 to a 430 Scuderia and said it wasnt even close. Even if they factored price into the equation So again I say it. The R8 is no comparison to a Ferrari. It's better matched against a Porsche 911. You obviously have a hard on for R8s, and thats cool. Its your e-peen.
So now we get down to it, your comments were from R&T and it wasn't a normal F430 but the Scud. NO it's not an F430 Scud, I already said as much and as one IS an all out racer in comparison would you expect anything different. Try a normal F430 compared to a Scuderia and you will see quite a difference.

It chief rival will be the 911, it is the only other exotic that could be remotely driven daily without it costing a bomb in maintenance. You are right it's no Ferrari, it's better and for a very good reason, you WILL be able to drive the R8 50,000 miles and the car won't even batter an eyelid, try the same thing in a Ferrari ..... and ..... well it won't do it without a lot of maintenance along the way.

As for me being 'hard' on the R8, no what I appreciate in fine engineering that is designed to work all the time reliably and Italian kit just doesn't do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #187
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

What's the over/under in months for the first one being wrapped around a tree by some baller or hollywood kid?

I'm going to say December - 2 months.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #188
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
That car costs $400,000. Supercars watch out? Please. They're making 500 of those. Supercars watch out? Please. Costs more than a Ferrari, more than a GT-R, more than a Lamborghini, and doesn't have the pedigree.
good point, the GT-R specifically has nothing to worry bout because at its price range there is no competition

looks like an awesome car regardless
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #189
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

People have asked who on earth would pay 400K for that.

There are folks with hard ons for Toyota/Lexus just like with any other brand. They will sell every one produced.
      10-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #190
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

This will turn out like the XJ220. They will only end up making 281 and some of them will be at a dealer for something like 5 years before they lob 60% off the original asking price to sell them.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #191
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well then up to a point I would agree that the R8 is in the same ball park of feel as an RS4 when simply accelerating in freeway ramps and driving at 7/10th, the same is true for most brands because it the feel that makes them all unique to each other, every Audi feels like an Audi, the same for a BMW and all brands. But it's when you venture beyond the 7/10th the R8 comes alive compared to the RS4 and most other things.

So now we get down to it, your comments were from R&T and it wasn't a normal F430 but the Scud. NO it's not an F430 Scud, I already said as much and as one IS an all out racer in comparison would you expect anything different. Try a normal F430 compared to a Scuderia and you will see quite a difference.

It chief rival will be the 911, it is the only other exotic that could be remotely driven daily without it costing a bomb in maintenance. You are right it's no Ferrari, it's better and for a very good reason, you WILL be able to drive the R8 50,000 miles and the car won't even batter an eyelid, try the same thing in a Ferrari ..... and ..... well it won't do it without a lot of maintenance along the way.

As for me being 'hard' on the R8, no what I appreciate in fine engineering that is designed to work all the time reliably and Italian kit just doesn't do that.
How many people will really drive any of these cars at more than 7/10s? Not very many. And I disagree with you on every car make feeling the same. I had an E46 M3 before my 335, and boy do they feel really different. My CLS55 feels very different to my mom's S550.

I do understand your comment on being able to drive the Audi everyday, because you probably could. But the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of sports cars like those is reliablity. I want to be excited and have chills run down my spine when I drive it. Thats why I would take a GT3 over a R8 everyday of the week. Same reason why I wouldnt buy a GTR. Its fast, just not exciting and doesnt get my skin crawling.

And a regular 430 is nothing to sneeze at. Yes the Scuderia is the ultimate, but the regular 430 is every bit as exciting.

If you love the R8 great. I don't. Just like I think Jaguars are for 80 year old women...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #192
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
You could have this, or you could have a GT-R, Z06, GT2 and $30-40k left over to build a nice garage for them. Toyota is out of its damn mind with this car.
but combine all those car, you still can't get the sound of this unique 9000rpm v10 mate .
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #193
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik View Post
Looks sick in matte black.

that looks pretty hot. white is definitely not the right color for this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #194
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ha. Sorry but sitting in an R8 is indeed like siting in almost any other Audi. It's not special at all. Everything is famliar. And yup, you're right. Im no pro-driver, a novice at best. I can only at best speak to turning around corners at 7/10s and ripping through freeway on ramps. At those momments, it felt like almost any other Audi Ive been in. If I used your logic, why pay 50k for a Audi when you can get a VW Passat that is almost identical mechanicially? I'll say it again, Audis are for metro-yuppies who want interior, and german styling. Road and Track compared a R8 V10 to a 430 Scuderia and said it wasnt even close. Even if they factored price into the equation So again I say it. The R8 is no comparison to a Ferrari. It's better matched against a Porsche 911. You obviously have a hard on for R8s, and thats cool. Its your e-peen.
This sounds reasonable to me. Not everyone who owns a supercar is a pro at the track. the R8 is highly regarded by some because it is a supercar that you can drive everyday, quiet, comfortable, and fast at the track. but as an all our supercar, it is not on the level of the f430 or scud including the look IMO. It looks beautiful, but too soft.

the interior is very similar in feel than those on the rs4, although the dash layout is completely different. I sat in one and didn't feel special at all.

i sat in the f430 and wow, the dash, leather, everything felt so special.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #195
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
It sounds good.

I'm not too crazy about the styling of it though... the front kind of looks like it has updated supra headlights, and its just a little too bodykit-ish. I do like the rear though. Maybe it will grow on me.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #196
f=ma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
its not supposed to be a bang for your buck....like the GTR.

ppl need to start understanding the meaning of a Halo car. u think veyrons are worth 1.5mil ? (actually twice as much after the dealer is through).
      10-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #197
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
its not supposed to be a bang for your buck....like the GTR.

ppl need to start understanding the meaning of a Halo car. u think veyrons are worth 1.5mil ? (actually twice as much after the dealer is through).
Sorry but you can't compare this Lexus to the Bugatti. The Veyron is a halo car and rightly so, it's an engineering masterpiece. Another thing, I doubt Toyota is selling every LF-A at a lose like what Volkswagen are, and that even after your suggested twice it's RRP, remember every one cost €5 million to make.

On the road few if any other car would stay in touch with the Veyron and the only reason that might not happen is the driver's fear of causing damage to something so expensive.

The only cars that approach it's level of engineering excellence are F1 cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #198
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

digitaljames, i like your point of views and agree with almost everything i havent had the chance of driving a 599 yet though..
Appreciate 0