M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos My review of the new Audi S4, compared to the 335i X-Drive

09-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Im biased since I love Audi so much. However I went for a test drive yesterday and I was glad to jump back in my 135I. The S4 was soft, didnt feel that fast and wasnt sporty at all(*The steering wheel was too thin and the brakes were ok) Honestly Id rather buy a used RS4 over the new S4. The S4 should have been called an A4 3.0T..that way enthusiasts like me would not have high expectations. Historically the S4 was close to the M3 but now the M3(more expensive) is miles ahead. I promised myself that the 135I would be my first and last Bmw but Im not so sure. This car has nothing special going on. It simply fills the void left by the A4 3.2.

The car starts at 52K cdn not 57 cdn. I dont really care for the premium trim. A base with a sport diff is the best bang for the buck....I would settle for an ISF or C63 if I was forced to buy a premium.
Weird but I understand your comments about the thickness of the steering wheel and I only 'get it' since owning an M3. Previously I thought of the extra thick rim as a bad thing but not now.

As for the rest of the above, I couldn't disagree more but each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #24
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Weird but I understand your comments about the thickness of the steering wheel and I only 'get it' since owning an M3. Previously I thought of the extra thick rim as a bad thing but not now.

As for the rest of the above, I couldn't disagree more but each to their own.
Its not a bad car for from there but it just feels like a generic car. I just felt that the GTI was about as fun to drive. The B5-B6 had something special the B7 was looking like a regular S-Line A4. Now I dont know it feels like a 335, C35O etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #25
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan0102 View Post
he wants awd and a C63 is RWD. I drive my dads E63 and have trouble keeping it on the road sometimes in socal let alone montreal winters.
Good snow tires+some skills is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #26
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anysubat View Post
Thanks for sharing views and giving brief description of new 2010 S4 . It gave me a clear picture to buy it.
Are you serious? If you are then do share your review here

BTW, great choice. I'm jealous.
      09-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ Pretty sure it's a troll.
      09-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Same unimpressive 12 cubes in the boot as E90... Its longer but definitely narrower, VW/Audi never seems to give you that extra width aft of the rear wheel arches. I was told clubs fit but I'd want to verify. Didn't like the wheel- should be smaller diameter and needs more gurth. Rode nice and compliant. Less low end grunt than I expected but runs like a cheetah on speed over 3 grand. I didn't get to test the sport diff or the adjustable settings but I came away impressed if not quite floored. Steering felt a little muted/artificial but I don't think it was a breaking point. Cornering was impressive for a car of this weight- it hides it well. Clutch and shifter feel were unmemorable- a par to BMWs birdie.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

copy of a quickie review i wrote for another board.

Week Two on a 2010 A4 2.0T with Tip and Premium

the awd A4 feels very light on its feet, more refined, quieter, more luxurious. the interior is very very nice ... but i find that messing around with the radio etc takes your eyes off the road too much ... not as ergonomic as the bmw.

the rwd bmw feels more planted... more tactile and aggressive (as much as an automatic base model 325 could be LOL). the interior is obviously very spartan, but everything is where I'd expect it to be.

they both have the same size rims (18s) on standard suspension .. the bmw you'll have every reason to swerve from potholes because you will hurt yourself driving over it i honestly dont know how soccer moms can drive loaded sport package 335i's with the 18s or 19s and ride them over Steeles Road like they were in SUV's. the audi you won't feel as much, although it's still a firmer ride...

the bmw has better power delivery and accelerates quicker due to a more aggressive transmission .. althoguh i'm still breaking the audi in. While test driving the demos I found that the Audi's power comes up down low ... great in the City .. on the highway the bmw trumps it .. I'll reserve my judgement on the fuel economy til later on.

btw, i'm not interested in bashing one or the other. they are certainly different cars for people with different driving styles. ... i like them both.

Reason I got it -- couldn't pass up on the deal.

Last edited by pokerface; 09-24-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: added comments
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #30
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

S4>335 E90.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #31
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Well, from what I gather the latest C&D has a 335 vs S4 comparo and the S4 wins for the first time since 2004.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Paramedic's comments are exactly the same as mine, and if you spend a bit more on a chip tune I would have definitely picked it over my M3, even reckoning it would be quicker on any track.

All those subtly small improvements over the 335i makes for a much better car.

Where the S5 with the V8 was a good car, with good but not great handling the swap to the V6 and the intro of the sportsdiff has transformed the S4 and will no doubt do the same thing for the S5 when it too gets both of these things.
The one thing that the 335i sport has going aginst it are the HORRID run flats. I HATE them.

I think the audi would definately be a more pliant ride.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
Clutch and shifter feel were unmemorable- a par to BMWs birdie.
Wow that's a bummer. I think the BMW clutch and shifter feel are terrible - clutch has no feedback and the shifter is like rowing a rubber boat. If the S4 is worse I wouldn't even consider it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #34
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Wow that's a bummer. I think the BMW clutch and shifter feel are terrible - clutch has no feedback and the shifter is like rowing a rubber boat. If the S4 is worse I wouldn't even consider it.
Agreed. BMW shifters feel like driving a truck.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #35
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
A huge +1.

They are very notchy.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0