M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Running out of lease, test a Pontiac G8 GXP. WOW!

04-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #45
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Drinks a lot of gas...but what 400hp+ car doesn't?
The 335
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #46
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

tl;dr
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #47
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msitter View Post
In Europe BMWs are Germany's Ford or Chevrolet. They are all over the place. No prestige in owning one. It still escapes me why they are so prestigious here. Just another small sedan. So if one of your members is looking at another make, don't critisize him. It is his money and his problem it it goes south not ours. Besides the world press thinks the G8 GXP is as good as a 545i at half the priice.
I always thought Citroen, Peugeot, Renault were the ford and chevrolet of the European market...
a BMW costs MORE in Germany than it does in the USA/Canada. You will see less 335i going around in Germany than you do in the states.. everyone drives 320s there or Diesels. I don't consider those BMWs.

But I can't expect a GM driver to know what Europe is like.
an M3 commands as much respect in Europe as it does here as it does anywhere.

I'd take the 545i for double the price and not be caught in plastic rattle box.
If you can't tell the difference in comfort, workmanship, and quality between a pontiac and a BMW, then there is a major problem.

As for your 328, you probably didn't get any of the options that would make it interesting seeing as how much of a penny-pincher you are. Is your 328 even an E9X?
I bet you went with a cloth interior to save. (do they still offer that?)

It's always giving you trouble? duh.. your wife drives it.. women + cars = garage bills.
Switch cars and you'll see.
      04-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #48
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^Bashing someone for their choice of engines and seat cover material?

Bashing his wife?

One of, if not the most, arrogant posts I have seen to date. It does not even make sense to be honest. Opinions are welcome but that is just a poor choice.

OP. You like the car right? Get it and put up some pics for us losers to enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #49
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
actually it does...
if you buy a luxury sports car with no luxury in it... well no wonder you won't be able to tell the difference between a daily beater (pontiac) and a luxury sports car (BMW)...

as for bashing his wife.. I just stated fact that women don't take care of their cars usually..

seeing how he makes it seem as if his car is in the garage every other week, he either has a) a lemon or b) female driver problems.

arrogant? please clarify...
      04-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #50
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
actually it does...
if you buy a luxury sports car with no luxury in it... well no wonder you won't be able to tell the difference between a daily beater (pontiac) and a luxury sports car (BMW)...

as for bashing his wife.. I just stated fact that women don't take care of their cars usually..

seeing how he makes it seem as if his car is in the garage every other week, he either has a) a lemon or b) female driver problems.

This is an accurate statement. Unless a woman is OCD or an enthusiast, they DO NOT take care of their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #51
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^Bashing someone for their choice of engines and seat cover material?

Bashing his wife?

One of, if not the most, arrogant posts I have seen to date. It does not even make sense to be honest. Opinions are welcome but that is just a poor choice.

OP. You like the car right? Get it and put up some pics for us losers to enjoy!
+1

Not cool bashing someone just because they can't/or chose not to spend as much as you.

I could have bought a 335 and been more strapped for cash every month, but I decided to buy the 325 since it fit more in my budget and it is still a frickin awesome car. If I could have gotten cloth I would have as I prefer it over leather. I prefer non power seats over powered too.

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
I always thought Citroen, Peugeot, Renault were the ford and chevrolet of the European market...
a BMW costs MORE in Germany than it does in the USA/Canada. You will see less 335i going around in Germany than you do in the states.. everyone drives 320s there or Diesels. I don't consider those BMWs.
Regardless of what you think qualify as a BMW, his point of BMW's being more common in Europe then here is valid. I have been to the UK, Germany, and many other European countries and BMW's are more common there then here in the US. True, I still wouldn't compare them to Ford and Chevy( although it still doesn't detract from them), and that they are 120's, 320's, etc, but they are a BMW none the less.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #53
msitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

It is nitwits like comet that prove my point. His car is his manhood. He is just trying to impress people with how much he spent on his car if it is not leased. By the way my 328i is owned and lacks only nav and automatic from having every factory option on the convertible list. I am now tired of this thread. It is pointless.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #54
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
The 335
And the rated HP on a stock 335 (assuming the fuel pump is working) is what? Oh yeah, 300 HP. Humm.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #55
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
actually it does...

Neither do most men.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #56
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
actually it does...

A BMW 3 Series is not a luxury car in the US (in Europe with the in-line six it is). A 5 and the 7 are luxury cars. The 3 is just an over-priced economy car that is only sold in the US with the 3 L six. They are cop cars in most
European countries for god's sake.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #57
AlecX5
Lifetime Bimmer Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Well, with an obvious effort to keep this thread alive, I just want to say one thing.

I DON"T CARE ABOUT THE BADGE ANYMORE.

I am seriously looking at every offering that fit's my car enthusiast needs as well as my family day to day needs. The Infinity G was a bust. A laptop computer with 19 inch rims. Boring. Lexus was a sensory deprivation chamber at best and the Audi was slow and expensive. Did I mention the Mercedes? Again, slow, dull.

That brings me to a very unlikely place. A Pontiac dealer. When this car came out I thought it had nice lines. Very 5 series. Driving it was a whole new experience for me. I've never driven a car with this sort of power. It's the antithesis of the Prius. That's one reason to like it. Really big power and breaks.

This car is all stealth too. Get it in gray and it's nearly invisible. But when you want it, BANG. Huge balls.

What about this car doesn't turn on a true car enthusiast? If you're all about how expensive your car is, you'll hate this car. It's like mid 30's. I guess I'm done with how well the fucking dash is screwed together. You know what? It's just a dashboard. I don't want to pay 20K more for a better dashboard.

That's it. Thanks for reading.

Alec
      04-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #58
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

I really like this GXP. Too bad the salesman puffed away on his cigarette the whole time I was walking around it asking him questions..I guess he really wanted to sell me a car. Get one, it's a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #59
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
A BMW 3 Series is not a luxury car in the US (in Europe with the in-line six it is). A 5 and the 7 are luxury cars. The 3 is just an over-priced economy car that is only sold in the US with the 3 L six. They are cop cars in most
European countries for god's sake.
If you run a poll in a forum unrelated to cars asking, "Is a 50K car, a luxury car?" everyone is going to say yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #60
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS View Post
Well, with an obvious effort to keep this thread alive, I just want to say one thing.

I DON"T CARE ABOUT THE BADGE ANYMORE.

I am seriously looking at every offering that fit's my car enthusiast needs as well as my family day to day needs. The Infinity G was a bust. A laptop computer with 19 inch rims. Boring. Lexus was a sensory deprivation chamber at best and the Audi was slow and expensive. Did I mention the Mercedes? Again, slow, dull.

That brings me to a very unlikely place. A Pontiac dealer. When this car came out I thought it had nice lines. Very 5 series. Driving it was a whole new experience for me. I've never driven a car with this sort of power. It's the antithesis of the Prius. That's one reason to like it. Really big power and breaks.

This car is all stealth too. Get it in gray and it's nearly invisible. But when you want it, BANG. Huge balls.

What about this car doesn't turn on a true car enthusiast? If you're all about how expensive your car is, you'll hate this car. It's like mid 30's. I guess I'm done with how well the fucking dash is screwed together. You know what? It's just a dashboard. I don't want to pay 20K more for a better dashboard.

That's it. Thanks for reading.

Alec
If you don't care about your interior and you only want a body and an engine, then it's okay.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #61
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
If you run a poll in a forum unrelated to cars asking, "Is a 50K car, a luxury car?" everyone is going to say yes.
And they'd be wrong. Is a Lotus Elise a luxury car?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #62
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '10 W204 w/m156

Quote:
actually it does...

Haha, typical BMW driver. Thinks his car is so great, but doesn't realize that it is just like a Honda Civic in Europe.

They use the E class and the 5 series as taxi cabs in Europe.

Here is a quote from another guy on another forum that thinks just like you:

Quote:
Originally posted by bimmaboy

it's not about how good the car actually is, it's about the image and what society thinks of you that matters. I'm not arguing with you guys here, it just boggles my mind why anyone would drive a hundai over say, a bmw.

People see me pull up in a bmw and they run up wanting to tell me how nice it is. If I pulled up in a hundai they'd run up, fart on me, then run away laughing.
      04-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #63
Kryptonite
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
This is an accurate statement. Unless a woman is OCD or an enthusiast, they DO NOT take care of their cars.
This woman takes car of her cars. You can eat off of my engine compartment at anytime. I must be one of the few freaks that love what they drive.

I just purchased my E92 M3 6 spd a week and a half ago after driving the following cars: Used Audi RS4, 09 GXP, 09 IS-F, 09 CTS-V and I'm not dissappointed.

The GXP is a nice car, it's definately not flashy and will blend in the the crowd (unless you know what you are looking for). I just wasn't comfortable in it myself. The RS4 is a wonderful car, just a bit sluggish. The IS-F with it's 8 speed flappy paddle shifters isn't my speed....my left foot definately was confused as to what it needed to do. The CTS-V is a monster! I recommend driving one if you get the opportunity. I chose the Bimmer due to it fitting me (I'm 5'2) and wasn't over powering, when it didn't need to be. I have some control over what mode I'd like to drive it at, unlike the GXP.

I'll agree, it is definately great bang for the buck, so if this is what you actually want, I'd say go for it!!

Good luck with you purchase!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #64
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e93

Quote:
I am now tired of hearing all of the eliteism from some of you BMW owners. How many of you out there don't even own your car but only lease it. Maybe the cost of ownership is too much. I think a lot of you would not have a BMW in your driveway if it were not for the lease program.
You nailed it!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #65
aah78
-
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i, 2014 BMW 550i

Arrow Holden / Vauxhall -> Pontiac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS View Post
The Pontiac G8 is actually a Holden Commodore from Australia with a Corvette engine shoehorned in under the hood. Unreal car. I am totally smitten with this thing. 40 grand out the door for 415 hp 5 passenger 4 door RWD sedan.

Really, the interior is not quite BMW standards, but not bad at all. Very European in general. That's the impression I had from the handling too, very European. Great car. I mean really, what can touch this for 40K?

This may just be my next car. I'm just can't stop thinking about it.
Yes, it's a beast of a car. I'm putting it on my wishlist too; unfortunately my situation is simlar to GM's - no money!

The previous car based on the Holden Monaro coupe (sold as the Vauxhall Monaro in the UK, and Pontiac GTO in the US) was a fun drive too!

I was hoping they'd get the HSV Clubsport (Vauxhal VXR8) to the US but unfortunately that was not to happen but I'd happily settle for the G8 GXP, which is in essence a rebadged Commodore.

This is the closest one can get to cheap(ish) RWD V8 muscle thesedays.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #66
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
This woman takes car of her cars. You can eat off of my engine compartment at anytime. I must be one of the few freaks that love what they drive.

I just purchased my E92 M3 6 spd a week and a half ago after driving the following cars: Used Audi RS4, 09 GXP, 09 IS-F, 09 CTS-V and I'm not dissappointed.

The GXP is a nice car, it's definately not flashy and will blend in the the crowd (unless you know what you are looking for). I just wasn't comfortable in it myself. The RS4 is a wonderful car, just a bit sluggish. The IS-F with it's 8 speed flappy paddle shifters isn't my speed....my left foot definately was confused as to what it needed to do. The CTS-V is a monster! I recommend driving one if you get the opportunity. I chose the Bimmer due to it fitting me (I'm 5'2) and wasn't over powering, when it didn't need to be. I have some control over what mode I'd like to drive it at, unlike the GXP.

I'll agree, it is definately great bang for the buck, so if this is what you actually want, I'd say go for it!!

Good luck with you purchase!!
+1. The GXP is a great bang for the buck and i agree with the above post. With that being said it's all about how much money one is willing to spend. If someone had $70K to spend i'm sure they would be looking at M3's, RS4's, C63's and the new CTS-V. But for the price of the GXP i'm sure the performance can't be beat. I myself went with the M3 due to the way it drives. It's a beast with a high revving V8 and it just feels right. The high displacement motors GM produces are thrown into a bunch of different cars and they just don't feel as exciting as other cars. I don't know how to explain it but most of you know what i'm talking about. Most american cars are just about the go factor. I enjoy more finely tuned cars that are more fun to drive. I do enjoy German cars much more than American cars but it has more to do with finesse than anything else.

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0