M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos S4 wins over 335i - AMS

01-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #111
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
v1.47fan,

May you are right and us Europeans can't drive worth shit but if the conditions improve the 335i's times then the same will hold true for the S4.

But at what point does the traction not become a problem for the 335i?

I keep asking this question but no reply, the reason for this question is because the S4 continues to increase it's acceleration rate over the 335i as the speeds increase. Now to me and the rest of the world that means that with all of these examples tested the S4 keeps getting quicker.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #112
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
v1.47fan,

May you are right and us Europeans can't drive worth shit but if the conditions improve the 335i's times then the same will hold true for the S4.
An AWD traction loss is negligible compare to a RWD's loss on wet,slick roads etc. I'm really surprised you don't know this already for someone who tracks his cars!

An example...
The Caterham spanks the Evo in the dry,by a huge margin and loses to the Evo in the rain.

So what would be the point of sayin if the conditions improve the Caterham's times the same will hold true for the Evo?

The S4 and 335i numbers are almost identical so the track conditions will play a big role since one is AWD.

THe acceleration rate of the S4 is almost identical to the 335i from 80 to 120km/h,look at the numbers by AMS.

I apologize i just had to reply really quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #113
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Very nice but the S5 is going to over7k more with the same options. I like the new S4 but if it drives like the S5 I will be very disappointed. The sterring in the a5/s5 is seriously lacking and does not even feel average IMO.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #114
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
Very nice but the S5 is going to over7k more with the same options. I like the new S4 but if it drives like the S5 I will be very disappointed. The sterring in the a5/s5 is seriously lacking and does not even feel average IMO.
+1

I tested an A5 a few weeks ago, the steering was terrible. Very loose and very little road feel. Felt too much like Lexus, actually. Drive Select supposedly changes that, but it's a pricey option.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 03:18 AM   #115
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
An AWD traction loss is negligible compare to a RWD's loss on wet,slick roads etc. I'm really surprised you don't know this already for someone who tracks his cars!

An example...
The Caterham spanks the Evo in the dry,by a huge margin and loses to the Evo in the rain.

So what would be the point of sayin if the conditions improve the Caterham's times the same will hold true for the Evo?

The S4 and 335i numbers are almost identical so the track conditions will play a big role since one is AWD.

THe acceleration rate of the S4 is almost identical to the 335i from 80 to 120km/h,look at the numbers by AMS.

I apologize i just had to reply really quick.
Your lack of understand of traction issues and how they diminish as speed increases is truly mind boggling.

We are here debating outright acceleration and you throw 'ingear' times from 80~120km/h into the mix are if it means something and proves your point. For heaven-sake a 335d will destroy an M3v8 in the same discipline but will be miles behind it in a drag race which I might add is what we have been talking about for God knows how many posts.

Please try and keep on topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #116
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Your lack of understand of traction issues and how they diminish as speed increases is truly mind boggling.

We are here debating outright acceleration and you throw 'ingear' times from 80~120km/h into the mix are if it means something and proves your point. For heaven-sake a 335d will destroy an M3v8 in the same discipline but will be miles behind it in a drag race which I might add is what we have been talking about for God knows how many posts.

Please try and keep on topic.
On dry roads the 335i runs the 1/4 mile in 13.4 @ 105mph,0-60 in 4.8 sec. The S4 0-62mph is 5 sec,i don't think it'll ever pass a 335i before reaching its governed speed.
On summer tires in the winter doing a hard launch,you can break traction shifting all the way to 3rd gear in a 335i. the in gear passing times will be less affected by traction problems.If it wasn't important why would they bother publishing it?

The deduction you did to determine passing times was odd,you can't get 5-60m/h times in gear or not by deducting 0-60 acceleration times same with 80 to 160km/h. When the car is already rolling and you punch the gas pedal even going through the gears those numbers are completely different.

Stick with things you know, 2009 will go by a lot quicker than you think.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #117
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
When the two are compared in the summer and on a surface which is hot enough to melt, what will you argument be when the S4 still wins.

I'm done with trying to explain plain logic to you, if you can't understand the basics then maybe someone else can butt in and down grade it to 'preschool' ABC mathematics.
Appreciate 0