M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion B&W audio setup

03-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

B&W audio setup

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys,

I'm looking to see what folks consider the optimal setup for their Bowers and Wilkins Diamond Surround system. The permutations are... well, a lot and I'm not convinced I've nailed the sweet spot yet.

I guess the optimal setup may change between the Coupe, the Convertible and the GC but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who thinks they've nailed it. If you wouldn't mind posting a few pics of the surround choice (I chose the 'leave it the hell alone' setting), bass, treble, front:rear fade and graphic equalizer I'd very much appreciate it. I'll post mine shortly.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      03-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking to see what folks consider the optimal setup for their Bowers and Wilkins Diamond Surround system. The permutations are... well, a lot and I'm not convinced I've nailed the sweet spot yet.

I guess the optimal setup may change between the Coupe, the Convertible and the GC but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who thinks they've nailed it. If you wouldn't mind posting a few pics of the surround choice (I chose the 'leave it the hell alone' setting), bass, treble, front:rear fade and graphic equalizer I'd very much appreciate it. I'll post mine shortly.

Thanks!
EQ settings are totally subjective to the end user's musical preference, hearing ability, and source material.

That said, if you're like me and want some good low end response and don't feel like adding a dedicated aftermarket subwoofer, try boosting your first two parameters (100hz & 200hz) up 3 or 4 increments. The purists will tell you to leave the EQ completely flat for the most faithful reproduction of the source material, but there's nothing wrong with boosting/cutting frequencies until you're happy with what you're hearing.
      03-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
EQ settings are totally subjective to the end user's musical preference, hearing ability, and source material.

That said, if you're like me and want some good low end response and don't feel like adding a dedicated aftermarket subwoofer, try boosting your first two parameters (100hz & 200hz) up 3 or 4 increments. The purists will tell you to leave the EQ completely flat for the most faithful reproduction of the source material, but there's nothing wrong with boosting/cutting frequencies until you're happy with what you're hearing.
Agreed on the subjective.

Here are my current settings:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      03-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Agreed on the subjective.

Here are my current settings:
this is a great topic for bloozemanAZ if you have a coupe.

I keep mine mostly in the middle default, except I change the bass up and down depending on who is in my car and what I'm listening to. I listen to everything from hip hop & r&b, to pop and country. when my wife is in the car, some Tswift (I hate but she likes to make her happy) to kiddie cartoons (like baby shark) for my 2 yr old.

so it's a wide range, but if it was just me in the car: I would tune it more to my music and my liking.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
These are my settings - Coupe. Rich and plenty of doof doof (which is the limit of my technical sound vocabulary).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
These are my settings - Coupe. Rich and plenty of doof doof (which is the limit of my technical sound vocabulary).
Thanks.

Do you bias the front:rear fade toward the rear or dead centre?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
As per Resjudicata, everyone's mileage may vary depending on the source material. That said so far everyone is posting Studio as the chosen sound profile (aka surround logic mode) and I too started there as I'm a 2-channel audio snob. In fact I was completely disappointed that you cannot disengage surround logic with the B&W as that would be my preference just like the H&K in my wife's X5.

However, I've found that Concert is the clear winner over Studio as it portrays a more accurate soundscape no matter how many times my bias gravitates me towards the the Studio setting. The difference may lay in bass response as Studio does better at lower volumes. However, I'm primarily the sole occupant in the M850i and as previously posted the B&W does not open up to the full sound landscape until you're at least at 50% of volume. At that point Concert for the sound profile wins every time as the presence of the sound stage produced is flat out amazing vs Studio.

A picture of the equalizer settings is not accurate so if there is interest I can post the specific increments for each setting. So far I'm seeing a lot of mid range roll off which will enhance the bass response but ultimately take away from the soundscape potential of the B&W. Then again my settings may not be conducive to everyone else's situation as they require the minimum of 50% volume to produce the soundscape.

Lucky me as the M850i is my personal daily driver and as posted on the gesture control thread ultimately I need one to mute my wife's commentary from the passenger seat regarding the volume of the B&W. Just wishful thinking as reality states I just have to turn down the B&W when she is in the car and lose out on the amazing audio experience. Thankfully she loves the sound of the engine so no issues there or I'd be forced into Comfort mode and truly hating the drive.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-27-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 3
POBA272.00
      03-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
No bias.

Quote:
Thanks.

Do you bias the front:rear fade toward the rear or dead centre?
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
No bias.
Agreed given the small cabin and the B&W well thought out layout center mass is the choice. This contrasts against other cars I've owned (4 door sedans) in which I would bias towards the rear as it produced the better bass response (example being my GS430 with Mark Levinson audio).
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
      03-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
As per Resjudicata, everyone's mileage may vary depending on the source material. That said so far everyone is posting Studio as the chosen sound profile (aka surround logic mode) and I too started there as I'm a 2-channel audio snob. In fact I was completely disappointed that you cannot disengage surround logic with the B&W as that would be my preference just like the H&K in my wife's X5.

However, I've found that Concert is the clear winner over Studio as it portrays a more accurate soundscape no matter how many times my bias gravitates me towards the the Studio setting. The difference may lay in bass response as Studio does better at lower volumes. However, I'm primarily the sole occupant in the M850i and as previously posted the B&W does not open up to the full sound landscape until you're at least at 50% of volume. At that point Concert for the sound profile wins every time as the presence of the sound stage produced is flat out amazing vs Studio.

A picture of the equalizer settings is not accurate so if there is interest I can post the specific increments for each setting. So far I'm seeing a lot of mid range roll off which will enhance the bass response but ultimately take away from the soundscape potential of the B&W. Then again my settings may not be conducive to everyone else's situation as they require the minimum of 50% volume to produce the soundscape.

Lucky me as the M850i is my personal daily driver and as posted on the gesture control thread ultimately I need one to mute my wife's commentary from the passenger seat regarding the volume of the B&W. Just wishful thinking as reality states I just have to turn down the B&W when she is in the car and lose out on the amazing audio experience. Thankfully she loves the sound of the engine so no issues there or I'd be forced into Comfort mode and truly hating the drive.
Thanks, everyone.

I'll give Concert a shot... although I confess, I'm not optimistic but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #11
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:

Thank you so much for the info! I would appreciate it if you kindly could post the specific increments for each setting. Again, thank you!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 10:20 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

I'll give Concert a shot... although I confess, I'm not optimistic but you never know.
I tried to capture a video of Rush Freewill sourced from my high resolution FLAC 24-bit/192khz source off of the SSD in the console. Unfortunately, my Pixel 3 XL audio capture in the video is flat and thus no difference between Studio and Concert. That said given the source and roughly a 70% setting on volume (if it's too loud you're too old) in order to open up the B&W soundscape Concert ran circles around Studio.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

I tried to capture a video of Rush Freewill sourced from my high resolution FLAC 24-bit/192khz source off of the SSD in the console. Unfortunately, my Pixel 3 XL audio capture in the video is flat and thus no difference between Studio and Concert. That said given the source and roughly a 70% setting on volume (if it's too loud you're too old) in order to open up the B&W soundscape Concert ran circles around Studio.
Never loud enough; not without distortion anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

Quote:
That is the absolute beauty of the B&W as with the right source distortion is non-existent. To that point even SiriusXM as a source surprises me as Ozzy's Boneyard is my go to when I'm bored with my catalog on my SSD source.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

I tried Concert—I didn't dislike it. What's your surround intensity level? Default?

// EDIT: it's also better at higher volumes.

// DOUBLE EDIT: well I'll be a monkey's uncle—I prefer it.

Thanks, dude!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tried Concert—I didn't dislike it. What's your surround intensity level? Default?

Thanks, dude!
Yes, once you get the B&W opened up (at least 50% volume) Concert overtakes Studio. One thing I truly appreciate with the iDrive 7 as whenever you start the car it seems to set the volume at 20% automatically. This is a godsend as with the iDrive 6 in my wife's X5 on startup I get blasted out of my seat and generally not a good thing as if I'm in the X5 as that usually means I am with the wife and her commentary ensues.

I haven't tried it yet but wondering if you can use the hard buttons to store B&W audio settings. Idea would be to use #1 for Concert and #8 for Studio. That way if my wife is in the car I can just select #8 and Studio is activated for the lower volume listening.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, once you get the B&W opened up (at least 50% volume) Concert overtakes Studio. One thing I truly appreciate with the iDrive 7 as whenever you start the car it seems to set the volume at 20% automatically. This is a godsend as with the iDrive 6 in my wife's X5 on startup I get blasted out of my seat and generally not a good thing as if I'm in the X5 as that usually means I am with the wife and her commentary ensues.

I haven't tried it yet but wondering if you can use the hard buttons to store B&W audio settings. Idea would be to use #1 for Concert and #8 for Studio. That way if my wife is in the car I can just select #8 and Studio is activated for the lower volume listening.

Don't hold your breath on programming the 1-8 buttons for the surround settings--feels too deeply nested to me but I haven't tried.

I'm gonna fork my own thread for a second: is your traffic info working right now? Mine failed yesterday evening just after a coding session and I'm trying to isolate root cause.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-29-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For folks here who have their B&W sorted out and are happy, please see:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676036
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, dude!

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, dude!

I'm fairly certain Bimmercode will let you set the default Volume at start up to anything from 0 or 10, all the way to 50%.

mine is set at 50 at startup
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yep
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Don't hold your breath on programming the 1-8 buttons for the surround settings--feels too deeply nested to me but I haven't tried.

I'm gonna fork my own thread for a second: is your traffic info working right now? Mine failed yesterday evening just after a coding session and I'm trying to isolate root cause.
Irony with the don't hold your breath aspect I actually had a whimsical thought on the way out to the garage to test, i.e., "what if I can program the EQ as well with the manual buttons?". This would be totally cool as that way I could easily flip between EQs for either SiriusXM or my SSD.

Of course my dreams were crushed as the only thing I could do is set a hard button to open up the Sound Profiles menu setting. Not completely useless as ended putting that at #8 so can toggle between Concert or Studio (when the wife is in the car) with just a small bit of iDrive controller requirement. Now as I type this I'm wondering if BMW Assistant can control the Sound Profile setting. Pretty sure that's a big "NO" as well.

RE traffic info... sadly I haven't really driven the car in about a week now so not sure. The last drive was just a quick run to the corner market to pick up some beer on Friday. This COVID-19 self-isolation has turned me into a hermit.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 03-29-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I'm fairly certain Bimmercode will let you set the default Volume at start up to anything from 0 or 10, all the way to 50%.

mine is set at 50 at startup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
yep
Thanks for the info! I'm happy with what I believe is the 20% default as 50% would be way to loud when the wife is in the car. My normal commute process in the morning (sadly haven't done so in 2 weeks now) is press Sport (selects Sport Individual), press start (and enjoy the amazing engine light up), ensure JBV1 successfully auto launched on my Pixel 3XL, place the Pixel in the cup holder phone mount), select my audio source, adjust the volume accordingly and by this time the RPMs have kicked down from the startup and I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage. Just typing all of that makes me realize I REALLY miss driving to work in the morning!
Appreciate 0