M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Dealers Having Big Difficulty Selling The 8

03-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Dealers Having Big Difficulty Selling The 8

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is it really this dismal guys? Those of you at Dealers or out shopping for one of these?

Motor1 : BMW Dealers Explain Why They’re Having Issues Selling The 8 Series.
https://www.motor1.com/news/405697/b...ficulties/amp/
      03-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I believe it. Only seen 5 in person. 2 of them being at the dealership. Very sleek and nice looking car in person but we are living in the SUV crazed market so it's a hard sale. Plus the pricing is ridiculous when you can get a M5 for the price of a M850i.

Will be an amazing grab once it depreciates though.
      03-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
I believe it. Only seen 5 in person. 2 of them being at the dealership. Very sleek and nice looking car in person but we are living in the SUV crazed market so it's a hard sale. Plus the pricing is ridiculous when you can get a M5 for the price of a M850i.

My thoughts exactly! I'm already picturing a 8 GC in the garage in a couple of years with savage savings...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Quote:

My thoughts exactly! I'm already picturing a 8 GC in the garage in a couple of years with savage savings...
Been eyeing some Dravit GC myself
      03-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been eyeing some Dravit GC myself
That color has grown on me too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

It's 30k too expensive. They didn't do enough to differentiate it. You think bean counters would know better.

I'm looking forward to returning mine and getting a full refund in a week. Busted module on the driver's seat for the 3rd time... haven't even had the vehicle a full month.

S63 by Mercedes -- now that's a car...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Is it really this dismal guys? Those of you at Dealers or out shopping for one of these?

Motor1 : BMW Dealers Explain Why They’re Having Issues Selling The 8 Series.
https://www.motor1.com/news/405697/b...ficulties/amp/
BMW Encinitas might disagree with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sigh, drive one like mine for a bit and see how you feel. I LOVE M5s... but the way this car makes me feel is very different. I enjoy it every time I get in it and in many the same ways I did with my M5s but there are more than enough differences to justify less than 20K (see below).

Put a well-spec'd 2020 M5 Comp up against a similarly spec'd M8 Comp (that's my last car and my current car so my comparison is firsthand) and the difference is $19K. The entry point for an M5 is much lower... agreed. But there's no M8 model that should be thought of as an entry point.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

Sigh, drive one like mine for a bit and see how you feel. I LOVE M5s... but the way this car makes me feel is very different. I enjoy it every time I get in it and in many the same ways I did with my M5s but there are more than enough differences to justify less than 20K (see below).

Put a well-spec'd 2020 M5 Comp up against a similarly spec'd M8 Comp (that's my last car and my current car so my comparison is firsthand) and the difference is $19K. The entry point for an M5 is much lower... agreed. But there's no M8 model that should be thought of as an entry point.
Alright I'll book an appointment for a drive with you (amazing build by the way) as soon as Corona disappears.
      03-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
That color has grown on me too.
Dravit Grey is a stunner when you get to see it in person. Static pictures in one frame of lighting do not do it justice whatsoever as it has a chameleon like property they cannot capture.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright I'll book an appointment for a drive with you (amazing build by the way) as soon as Corona disappears.
I'd love to take you... you're a tad too far away, though.

Thanks on the build comment--I genuinely love it... and I love looking at it.

PS: If adoring looks or endless 'thumbs ups' or rubber-necked glances from passing drivers or comments in gas stations or horn-honks on the freeway are your thing--get this car! I'm enjoying it... for now.
Appreciate 1
am3r1ka1411.00
      03-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

PS: If adoring looks or endless 'thumbs ups' or rubber-necked glances from passing drivers or comments in gas stations or horn-honks on the freeway are your thing--get this car! I'm enjoying it... for now.
I smell a road trip in the works for am3r1ka with the gracious offer. That said next time I'm at the Redmond mother ship I'll be looking for a ride in that glorious M8C. I can only imagine what you are getting with the M8C as I get my fair share of comments in parking lots, rubber-necked glances while driving, etc. in the M850i. This just further cements a point of the article, i.e., the 8-series is a rare bird out in the wild so it gains a lot of attention.
Appreciate 2
am3r1ka1411.00
limeypride4418.50
      03-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #13
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

We used to get this all the time in my wife's F80 M3. She's hoping she still gets this with her new M850i.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      03-25-2020, 02:46 AM   #14
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Well I would fly to US if I could get a track run with limeypride in his beautiful car given the times he posted in his main blog! COVID-19 of course prevents us from doing so.

This post is about economics and love. One is about the head and the other the heart. If I could give an analogy.

Lets say you were a single person and a few doors down the road was just the most beautiful woman/man/bi/variant/trans (want to be diversity sensitive) you've ever seen.

The economist would think, that they will be expensive to maintain, they will expect a certain lifestyle that I might not be able to provide, they might come from a poor extended family that I might have to maintain as well, they might put on weight as they get older ahead of the BMI standard, they have no money and may drain all of my life savings on a big wedding and new house, they might "depreciate" and not look that good when they get older etc etc.

The lover would initially admire them from a distance, perhaps take a photo or selfie to ponder over at night, then seek to get closer, maybe that first touch, caress and hopefully move to "starting" each others engine! And then fall madly and hopelessly in love, get married and live happily ever after!

I suspect that limeypride, bloozemanAZ, Da808dad's wife, redhot47fla, yours truly and many others in the 8 forum are lovers, who love their 8 series, will pamper it, enjoy it and not for one minute think like an economist.
Appreciate 3
limeypride4418.50
quick6750.50
      03-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #15
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
I suspect that limeypride, bloozemanAZ, Da808dad's wife, redhot47fla, yours truly and many others in the 8 forum are lovers, who love their 8 series, will pamper it, enjoy it and not for one minute think like an economist.
Absolutely on target. I view my car, any car, as a source of pleasure (as well, obviously, as transportation). I do not view an automobile as an investment.

If they stopped producing 850s today and burned every one still in inventory, I wouldn't care one bit.

I have mine. I love mine. It's as simple as that.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 4
      03-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Absolutely on target. I view my car, any car, as a source of pleasure (as well, obviously, as transportation). I do not view an automobile as an investment.

If they stopped producing 850s today and burned every one still in inventory, I wouldn't care one bit.

I have mine. I love mine. It's as simple as that.
ditto, I agree as well.
Appreciate 4
      03-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
ditto, I agree as well.
Yup. Bang on!
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
BranoMW
Enlisted Member
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition, F16 40d

Quote:
Yup. Bang on!
I fully agree!
It sounds silly, but every now and then I just go to garage to look at it and say hello, when we will go for the next ride? :-) It is simply personal.

BTW my son has M5 (F90) and I have M850i and I would never exchange. :-)
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Well I would fly to US if I could get a track run with limeypride in his beautiful car given the times he posted in his main blog! COVID-19 of course prevents us from doing so.

This post is about economics and love. One is about the head and the other the heart. If I could give an analogy.

Lets say you were a single person and a few doors down the road was just the most beautiful woman/man/bi/variant/trans (want to be diversity sensitive) you've ever seen.

The economist would think, that they will be expensive to maintain, they will expect a certain lifestyle that I might not be able to provide, they might come from a poor extended family that I might have to maintain as well, they might put on weight as they get older ahead of the BMI standard, they have no money and may drain all of my life savings on a big wedding and new house, they might "depreciate" and not look that good when they get older etc etc.

The lover would initially admire them from a distance, perhaps take a photo or selfie to ponder over at night, then seek to get closer, maybe that first touch, caress and hopefully move to "starting" each others engine! And then fall madly and hopelessly in love, get married and live happily ever after!

Absolutely spot on. Of course there is an initial economist view in the way of weighing alternative options for the price but once that has been done it is nothing but pampering and enjoyment. To that point I still grin every time I'm in the garage (this morning to take out the recycler bin to the curb for pickup) and just see the M850i.
Appreciate 4
limeypride4418.50
Ozzie8641.00
      03-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

to steal some comments on Jalopnik: because there're better all round competitors out there and because it looks too much like a mustang LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #21
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
BMW did themselves a great disservice to flood all dealers with 8 series/M8 models.

You don't create exclusivity that way. Mercedes/AMG has been successful limiting inventory (well, apart from the GT 4 door models and they are paying the price for it too). Discounts on AMG's are a small fraction of what you can get on one of these BMW's. Most buyers are happy if they can hit anywhere close to 10% discount on an AMG.

Many smaller BMW dealers simply don't have the clientele or the sales people to pitch cars in that price-segment. Now these are are boat anchors for them...

I have also stated that the car should be a bit more special for that price-point. At the same time I realized that I can't explain what that actually means.

The M8 happens to be a car that does look better in person than on pics. And the "more special" probably means "unlike any other BMW" to most. Something that's pretty unrealistic.

I for one am happy with car and will be happier once we get a few mods in to make it look just the way I like it

Last edited by Wolfman64; 03-27-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      03-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #22
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
It's 30k too expensive. They didn't do enough to differentiate it. You think bean counters would know better.

I'm looking forward to returning mine and getting a full refund in a week. Busted module on the driver's seat for the 3rd time... haven't even had the vehicle a full month.

S63 by Mercedes -- now that's a car...

That really sucks having those issues on a new car. But it appears to offer you an exit strategy

That said, if you you lease the car, the S63 will come at a different price point. I haven't looked at the latest financials on these but the poor residual have that car (coupe) at twice the monthly price of the M8.

While I love the S-coupe, I wouldn't touch it...
Appreciate 0