M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Race Chip

02-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Race Chip

All I can say is wow! Had chance to drive a race chip black equipped M8. Ben at RGSports had updated to M8 software(previously installed in F90 M5C). A game changer. No dyno numbers or draggy times which I know will be off putting to some. It's noticeably and I mean noticeably faster than M5C I drove. Same simple 10 minute install and Bluetooth makes changing settings a breeze. It's just so simple! Ben is the MAN.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      02-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Any idea what these kinds of things do to the engine's warranty according to BMW USA?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-18-2020 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
hilsman
Private
Rep

Piggy's generally will go undetected due to no breech of ECU. Obviously one would remove prior to service visit which takes 10 minutes. All fail safes remain intact with race chip. Since the tunes are usually less aggressive than flash tunes all should be good. It would take zealous detective work on bmw's part but I'm sure they could.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'd venture to say these days the car's ECU or associated computer will record the changes to the factory set parameters and possibly create some kind of alert when hooked up to BMW diagnostics.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
hilsman
Private
Rep

As I said I'm sure bmw engineers could make a case for unusual parameters however parameters change every time the weather does, fuel octane variances, etc. I'm sure they could but think would have to be prompted by such things as catastrophic engine failure. Ther are a ton of bmw's under warranty that run piggy's that have so far with owner prudence stayed under the radar. All of these issues have previously been discussed ad nauseum.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was expanding upon it.
Technology is changing ever more rapidly and no doubt is giving the manufacturers more and more info to help void warranty claims. I personally would not take a chance and find the power of even the M850 plenty.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
hilsman
Private
Rep

Most all heightened experiences in life come with a potential price. Tuning for more power is always a risk.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Most all heightened experiences in life come with a potential price. Tuning for more power is always a risk.
Indeed, and with BMW's new cost cutting happy CEO it will no doubt be applied wherever possible.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I’m running race chip also with a custom tune. I would describe the power as night and day difference. In stock form the m8 is a beast but after the race chip car is almost scary fast.

I am going to buy a draggy and get some real numbers. Wet interested to see what my 0-60 looks like

Quote:
All I can say is wow! Had chance to drive a race chip black equipped M8. Ben at RGSports had updated to M8 software(previously installed in F90 M5C). A game changer. No dyno numbers or draggy times which I know will be off putting to some. It's noticeably and I mean noticeably faster than M5C I drove. Same simple 10 minute install and Bluetooth makes changing settings a breeze. It's just so simple! Ben is the MAN.
Appreciate 2
hilsman115.00
r33_RGSport12803.00
      02-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I’m running race chip also with a custom tune. I would describe the power as night and day difference. In stock form the m8 is a beast but after the race chip car is almost scary fast.

I am going to buy a draggy and get some real numbers. Wet interested to see what my 0-60 looks like
Oooh, can't wait to hear! I'm (still) building/ordering my M8 Gran Coupe Comp as we speak.

To qualify as scary fast you need to be around 2.5s or lower to 60mph and low 10s in the 1/4 (per Dragy).

For reference, the fastest M5 out there hits 60mph in 2.41s and the 1/4 mile in 9.89s @139mph. Mods are fairly extensive on this car, though, but the engine's still the same (intake, DPs, etc.). I run 2.56s to 60mph and 10.3s in the 1/4 mile with just a JB4.

From what I'm seeing, the M8s are naturally a little quicker but it's unclear to me if that becomes a wash once tuned or it's from aerodynamics or something else... hence my interest.

PS: what does a custom-tuned RaceChip mean? They created a map for you perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
hilsman
Private
Rep

LP the racechip M8 software is different from M5 though allegedly the same engine profile. All I can say is the M8 I drove is a hell of a lot faster than the M5C I had with racechip!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LP the racechip M8 software is different from M5 though allegedly the same engine profile. All I can say is the M8 I drove is a hell of a lot faster than the M5C I had with racechip!

Do you have any data to show that? Dragy or the like... I assume not but I really want you to be right so...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
hilsman
Private
Rep

LP I suggest you contact Ben at RG Sports for more info. I know your predilection for JB4 and am sure Burger would configure appropriate software for the M8 profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:15 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LP I suggest you contact Ben at RG Sports for more info. I know your predilection for JB4 and am sure Burger would configure appropriate software for the M8 profile.
Errrr, OK--I don't understand the reply but I'll figure it out when I get an M8.

I have a predilection for what's faster, nothing more. Show me some credible stats and I'm in. So no predilection--just best bang for the buck...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #15
hilsman
Private
Rep

What I meant was that Ben handled the software upgrade from M5 to M8 and would have more knowledge concerning the differences when using racechip. I also know by your posts that you want more individual input into your boost profiles and only Burger/Terry can accommodate those needs with a piggy. Hope you get an M8 as I think you'll be pleased.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I meant was that Ben handled the software upgrade from M5 to M8 and would have more knowledge concerning the differences when using racechip. I also know by your posts that you want more individual input into your boost profiles and only Burger/Terry can accommodate those needs with a piggy. Hope you get an M8 as I think you'll be pleased.
Thanks... got it.

And me, too--I'm working on it. I'm not sure I can convince the wife to keep the M5 as well so my lovely machine is a bit of a wedge right now.

First world problems...
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      02-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #17
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Don’t think the draggy reads “ a hell lot faster”

But seriously those that go with race chip aren’t looking to be the fastest on the street. Nor do they really care to prove it to someone else that their car is faster than before.

My car is much faster, puts a huge smile on my face and don’t regret the purchase. That is more than enough for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Do you have any data to show that? Dragy or the like... I assume not but I really want you to be right so...
Appreciate 2
hilsman115.00
subzero05115.50
      02-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Don’t think the draggy reads “ a hell lot faster”
Huh?

Quote:
But seriously those that go with race chip aren’t looking to be the fastest on the street. Nor do they really care to prove it to someone else that their car is faster than before.
Sigh. Why are you making this difficult? Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't... so I asked. I'm looking for data to make a future purchase decision so why not just say, "I don't know". Sheesh.

Quote:
My car is much faster, puts a huge smile on my face and don’t regret the purchase. That is more than enough for me
OK, my car is much faster than yours and puts a bigger smile on my face. An equally subjective and argumentative statement... also equally useless.

I have no idea why asking for data landed us here... but your perspective and tone is noted.

Last edited by limeypride; 02-18-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #19
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Sheesh no reason to attack each other. I do believe race chip works, the gains are there but modest. I have a draggy and when the weather is nice I can try to get some data with it on and off.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Sheesh no reason to attack each other. I do believe race chip works, the gains are there but modest. I have a draggy and when the weather is nice I can try to get some data with it on and off.

Noushy
I'll assume that's directed at me...

I have no argument wrt/ RaceChip's effectiveness. In fact, I mentioned it numerous times earlier—so consider me a believer.

However, there's a trend occurring across the forums where anyone "asking for data" to back subjective butt-dyno assessments of performance devices is treated with ire--that same tone was apparent to me... and here we are.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #21
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

It’s the way how everyone is demanding data and if not provided it didn’t happen. It felt like your initial comment was just like everyone else’s

Gone through too many threads with post with promises of HP and unrealistic times but this wasn’t one.

OP was positing his experience with a product. He is happy with it as well as I. All that matters

Buy the race chip, don’t. I don’t work for them so doesn’t really matter to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I'll assu that's directed at me...

I have no argument wrt/ RaceChip's effectiveness. In fact, I mentioned it numerous times earlier—so consider me a believer.

However, there's a trend occurring across the forums where anyone "asking for data" to back subjective butt-dyno assessments of performance devices is treated with ire--that same tone was apparent to me... and here we are.
Appreciate 1
hilsman115.00
      02-19-2020, 12:10 AM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@hilsman , Thank you for your mention.
Greatly appreciate it.

limeypride , Ehloo got special mapping because RaceChip USA guy visited him and did a datalog and tweaked some of the parameters since he got air intake and catless secondary.

But, anyway, stop arguing about JB4 is better or RaceChip is better.
They all good product, it is just like Mac va PC.

I have used both, but I prefer Mac for the convenience and ease of use.
But for something that I am willing to spend my time and tinkering on the setting, I am still using PC, but preferably with Linux operating system (which is equivalent to flash tune).
Since I don't have that many free time in tinkering and tweaking, that's why I use Mac for my daily.

I hope you guys understand my terminology.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2