M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Seat is in comfort seating package

01-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Seat is in comfort seating package

All,

I’m trying to decide between the comfort seating package and the driving assistant pro package in the 840 gran coupe.

I’m coming from a 2010 750 and never really used the air cooling on my premium seats, so I don’t care about that so much. But what I did like was how I could adjust everything on the seat electronically . I considered them the Best seats ever! I really value comfort since I sit in traffic a few days out the week (which I’m hoping the traffic jam autonomous driving might help with the driving assistant pro package)

It seems like in all 8 series gran coupe seats you have to adjust the forward tilt of the head rest manually (as indicated by the button on the headrest) no matter if you get the multi function seats or not. So beyond the seat cooling what’s really the benefit? I can’t tell what else the seats in the comfort seating package offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
gustovier
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 840ix

Guess not a lot of people must not have this car as nobody seams to really know. On to the dealer to see if I can compare. From all the research it seems the only difference on seats is literally the addition of air ventilation. So an extra grand and change for air ventilation and electronic window shades is all you get from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
Guess not a lot of people must not have this car as nobody seams to really know. On to the dealer to see if I can compare. From all the research it seems the only difference on seats is literally the addition of air ventilation. So an extra grand and change for air ventilation and electronic window shades is all you get from what I can tell.
All of the GC out here are M850i. I don't know anyone who has a 840i. Our dealership has one coupe and a MSport convertible. I think with time they will trickle out but at that price point and the huge discounts and rebates people are grabbing M 850i models.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
My bet is you are correct that the only difference in the seats themselves is the air ventilation system. The headrests in my M850i only move forward/back and expect the same for the 840i.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
My bet is you are correct that the only difference in the seats themselves is the air ventilation system. The headrests in my M850i only move forward/back and expect the same for the 840i.
Are you sure they should go up and down as well? Have you tried it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejael View Post
Are you sure they should go up and down as well? Have you tried it?
I had assumed that since the button on the side of the headrest releases/engages the forward back movement (3 potential positions) which I had been adjusting while driving to find the perfect setting for me. I had tried to manually raise the headrest as well (while stopped at a light) but no go so assumed they were fixed.

However, you are indeed correct that the headrest will also raise/lower but just discovered that is done via the power seat controls. It's the same vertical control bar that manipulates the seat back's reclining position via forward/back but to raise/lower the headrest it is an up/down motion. Had that same control on my Lexus sports sedan for its seat back position so figured that's all it did (the Lexus' headrest controls were all manual so assumed the same given the button for forward/back of the headrest in the M850i).

Considering I spent days dialing in the B&W equalizer settings and finding the right surround logic mode for my high resolution FLAC audio it's a bit embarrassing I couldn't even get the seat controls figured out. Then again I'm an audiophile and did a FLAC sourced comparison against the stock H&K vs B&W in some dealer spec cars before placing my order so my priorities on learning the controls (outside of dialing in my Sport Individual settings) were appropriate.
Appreciate 1
Tejael64.00
      02-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
ashandger
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:
I had assumed that since the button on the side of the headrest releases/engages the forward back movement (3 potential positions) which I had been adjusting while driving to find the perfect setting for me. I had tried to manually raise the headrest as well (while stopped at a light) but no go so assumed they were fixed.

However, you are indeed correct that the headrest will also raise/lower but just discovered that is done via the power seat controls. It's the same vertical control bar that manipulates the seat back's reclining position via forward/back but to raise/lower the headrest it is an up/down motion. Had that same control on my Lexus sports sedan for its seat back position so figured that's all it did (the Lexus' headrest controls were all manual so assumed the same given the button for forward/back of the headrest in the M850i).

Considering I spent days dialing in the B&W equalizer settings and finding the right surround logic mode for my high resolution FLAC audio it's a bit embarrassing I couldn't even get the seat controls figured out. Then again I'm an audiophile and did a FLAC sourced comparison against the stock H&K vs B&W in some dealer spec cars before placing my order so my priorities on learning the controls (outside of dialing in my Sport Individual settings) were appropriate.
Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on the major differences you observed between the HK and B&W systems? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on the major differences you observed between the HK and B&W systems? Many thanks
Check this thread https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687916 on the B&W specific aspect. For an H&K vs B&W viewpoint the overall sound stage (immersion) was won by the B&W hands down. The FLAC shootout included the same tracks I use every time I shop for new home audio gear, i.e., Steely Dan "Gaucho", Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" and Dire Straight's "Brothers In Arms".

It may seem like an odd mix especially considering at the core I am a classic/hard rock aficionado but from my past life as a professional musician and living in the recording studio world they are all considered gold references. I didn't get to test everything in the spec cars as that would have taken hours. However, between "Babylon Sisters", "War" and "Brothers in Arms" the B&W delivered a more impressive representation of the source material than the H&K.

That said your mileage may vary depending on your needs. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an audiophile snob (my home audio is a 3 series easy) and as such I had scratched the carbon fiber roof on the M850i as an option to ensure the B&W. In the end though I went with both just to ensure the best performance car wise as possible (the carbon fiber roof lowers the center of gravity). The stock H&K is no slouch whatsoever and happy to discuss your needs (just PM me).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Check this thread https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687916 on the B&W specific aspect. For an H&K vs B&W viewpoint the overall sound stage (immersion) was won by the B&W hands down. The FLAC shootout included the same tracks I use every time I shop for new home audio gear, i.e., Steely Dan "Gaucho", Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" and Dire Straight's "Brothers In Arms".

It may seem like an odd mix especially considering at the core I am a classic/hard rock aficionado but from my past life as a professional musician and living in the recording studio world they are all considered gold references. I didn't get to test everything in the spec cars as that would have taken hours. However, between "Babylon Sisters", "War" and "Brothers in Arms" the B&W delivered a more impressive representation of the source material than the H&K.

That said your mileage may vary depending on your needs. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an audiophile snob (my home audio is a 3 series easy) and as such I had scratched the carbon fiber roof on the M850i as an option to ensure the B&W. In the end though I went with both just to ensure the best performance car wise as possible (the carbon fiber roof lowers the center of gravity). The stock H&K is no slouch whatsoever and happy to discuss your needs (just PM me).
Your taste in music is both diverse and discerning. BIA's is an all time favorite album of ours, most anything Steely Dan is always a pleasure to listen to (although I luv the Asia LP) and FGTH was first heard by me at The Red Parrot in Manhattan sometime in '83 and was never forgotten. For 60's jazz what do you think about The George Benson Cookbook? Some nice talent on that LP.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Your taste in music is both diverse and discerning. BIA's is an all time favorite album of ours, most anything Steely Dan is always a pleasure to listen to (although I luv the Asia LP) and FGTH was first heard by me at The Red Parrot in Manhattan sometime in '83 and was never forgotten. For 60's jazz what do you think about The George Benson Cookbook? Some nice talent on that LP.
Steely Dan's Asia will forever be my favorite of their catalog but Gaucho is their seminal studio recording that set the benchmark for all others to follow. Love George Benson and Cookbook is a staple to prove (at least in my mind) he has the chops in the Jazz world before sadly in the last 10+ years finding himself in the "smooth jazz" genera. Nothing wrong with that but if I look to jazz guitarists for inspiration Alan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia are my north stars.

For 50s and 60s jazz mostly I fall back on my saxophone days (played it in Junior High and High School with the latter only Jazz band) and center around the likes of John Coltrane, Stan Getz and Cannonball Adderley. Unfortunately, none of which have true high resolution recordings to appreciate in today's standards. Nonetheless I still enjoy them and speaking of such I'm going to now sign off and enjoy Blue Train while I cook dinner for the wife and I.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Had a bit of time while sauteing some of tonight's dinner to shoot a video in the M850i attempting to capture the soundscape. For it I chose Iron Maiden's Live After Death album with a snippet of "Running Free" witch showcases Steve Harris' amazing bass and Nicko McBrain's drumming. It likely does not translate 100% as there is no way my Google Pixel 3 XL fully captures the sound that is pure magic in the M850i.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Steely Dan's Asia will forever be my favorite of their catalog but Gaucho is their seminal studio recording that set the benchmark for all others to follow. Love George Benson and Cookbook is a staple to prove (at least in my mind) he has the chops in the Jazz world before sadly in the last 10+ years finding himself in the "smooth jazz" genera. Nothing wrong with that but if I look to jazz guitarists for inspiration Alan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia are my north stars.

For 50s and 60s jazz mostly I fall back on my saxophone days (played it in Junior High and High School with the latter only Jazz band) and center around the likes of John Coltrane, Stan Getz and Cannonball Adderley. Unfortunately, none of which have true high resolution recordings to appreciate in today's standards. Nonetheless I still enjoy them and speaking of such I'm going to now sign off and enjoy Blue Train while I cook dinner for the wife and I.
Stan Getz Jazz Samba is an all time favorite of ours.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
ashandger
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Quote:

Many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback. I am also an audiophile with a dedicated, custom built, listening room and high end audio system. HK system just does absolutely nothing for me and I haven't been able to hear the B&W system yet so your feedback is very helpful indeed. Enjoy your wonderful car and sound system. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
Many thanks for taking the time to provide very helpful feedback. I am also an audiophile with a dedicated, custom built, listening room and high end audio system. HK system just does absolutely nothing for me and I haven't been able to hear the B&W system yet so your feedback is very helpful indeed. Enjoy your wonderful car and sound system. Cheers
You definitely want the B&W then as it truly opens up about 45 to 50% within the volume range with tight bass, great mids and 100% clear highs.
Appreciate 2