M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Hood Panel Gap?

02-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #23
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Just for some perspective. The hoods of w217 MB's including the 63/65 close easily when simply dropped from ~2ft. I've also had other hp/160 mph+ cars where the hoods closed by simple yet firm hand pressure. It's not the increased tension per se it's the double latching mechanism that keeps the hood locked down. .

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #24
Hockey 29
Rep
Drives: 23 330e, 22 Porsche Taycan

Mine had the same problem when I bought it and the hood was fully closed. Took to the dealership and they adjusted the latches so they're different heights and make the hood land more flush. I was told that this is relatively common and many are shipped that way. They said it was an easy adjustment and they do it all the time. Mine is now flush and not noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 29 View Post
Mine had the same problem when I bought it and the hood was fully closed. Took to the dealership and they adjusted the latches so they're different heights and make the hood land more flush. I was told that this is relatively common and many are shipped that way. They said it was an easy adjustment and they do it all the time. Mine is now flush and not noticeable.
That sounds spot on about the repair needed, curious is it still just as hard to close. Unreal so many of these got by BMW's QC with something that obvious, that's just not right! Isn't this now checked by lasers vs the hand tool they used to use? Even the hand gap tool would easily catch this!

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:27 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Update on this end as posted in the 3D View (Connected Drive) issues thread I called out the hood panel gap when I dropped off the M850i this morning. My SA also agreed that it didn't look right but in the end it is within BMW factory spec guidelines. Seriously? I told my SA that I thought that was complete bullshit for a $128K car and he said he understood the sentiment but provided the attached spec guidelines from the tech doing the work.

Figured while I waited for the M850i to be valet'd for my pickup I'd check out the 2nd floor of the dealership which is their M Performance showroom. They had 5 M8s on the floor: one M8C coupe, one M8 coupe and 3 M8 convertibles. The M8C coupe's hood was slightly open as they had a battery charger connected so focused on the other M8s. The Donington Gray Metallic convertible had a flawless hood as well as the Alpine White convertible. However, the Black Sapphire Metallic coupe's hood panel gap is as fucked up as my M850i.

The bottom line being that although everything is within factory specs this at least in my opinion is a huge QC issue with BMW. My past 20 years has been with Lexus and the BS differential of "within spec" would not ever hit a dealers floor. I chose the M850i over the Lexus LC 500 for the sheer performance and the beyond sub par Infotainment system. However, based on my 20 years with Lexus there is no way I'd be looking at a shit show of a panel gap in my hood if I chose the LC 500. Love the M850i and will live with the gap as everything else about the car makes me grin from ear to ear while just looking at it and even more so when behind the wheel.

BMW if you monitor this forum you've got some QC issues to deal with!
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-21-2020 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #27
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I'm surprised that your dealer just didn't get the tech to adjust to be exactly the same. They clearly can do this regardless of what is "within" spec.

I've had cars made by BMWs, Porsche, Mercedes and Lexus over the past 20 years. In general, I would say that they were high quality and the dealers would try to address whatever little issues came up. I think there is a lot of variability around these types of issues. I had a Lexus GS430 that was probably the most poorly engineered and assembled car I ever had, but had a RX350 at the same time that was built well. The dealer tried to fix all of the issues with the GS430 but in the end, my assessment was that it was just a poorly engineered and built car. My experience has been that Porsche quality is really amazing but the panel gaps on my current Cayenne Turbo are like the ones you are showing here (and is a discussion point in the Cayenne forums). My point is that there is a fair amount of variability about this stuff and the occasional poorly assembled car, and that it has a lot with whether the dealer is willing to address issues beyond what is within whatever tolerances they set.

In this case, given how accommodating your dealer has been, why they wouldn't adjust it to your satisfaction is surprising.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #28
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Agreed with WCH. Make the customer happy. Say, “It’s within the specs, but we’ll be happy to adjust it a bit for you.” This would take, what, 15 minutes?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
WCH347.00
      02-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #29
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed, especially if it looks as bad as his, and it's not just the width of the gap on his but also the height (at least from how it looked in his original pics). Either way as I wrote earlier in this thread, the fact that amount of gap got past QC is concerning, but if it is considered within spec, that's even worse!
In addition, if Blooze's hood closes easily and the rest of ours have to be forcefully slammed, then there's even another issue going uncorrected and being called normal.
WTF is wrong with BMW?

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-22-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I'm surprised that your dealer just didn't get the tech to adjust to be exactly the same. They clearly can do this regardless of what is "within" spec.

I've had cars made by BMWs, Porsche, Mercedes and Lexus over the past 20 years. In general, I would say that they were high quality and the dealers would try to address whatever little issues came up. I think there is a lot of variability around these types of issues. I had a Lexus GS430 that was probably the most poorly engineered and assembled car I ever had, but had a RX350 at the same time that was built well. The dealer tried to fix all of the issues with the GS430 but in the end, my assessment was that it was just a poorly engineered and built car. My experience has been that Porsche quality is really amazing but the panel gaps on my current Cayenne Turbo are like the ones you are showing here (and is a discussion point in the Cayenne forums). My point is that there is a fair amount of variability about this stuff and the occasional poorly assembled car, and that it has a lot with whether the dealer is willing to address issues beyond what is within whatever tolerances they set.

In this case, given how accommodating your dealer has been, why they wouldn't adjust it to your satisfaction is surprising.
Great point on the occasionally poorly assembled car as I have one of them and Black Sapphire M8 at my dealer's is another. When I picked up the car my SA wasn't there so I just got the attached document along with my bill ($20) for the loaner as they use their insurance for any windshield damage vs mine which will cover everything else. Explanation back in 2017 during servicing my wife's X5 for the first time is a lot of insurance companies want to use non-OEM glass and the HUD may end up with issues. Not sure if it's true but I figure $20 is not ridiculous and just think of it as a car wash given they wash it before pickup.

Also, to your point I too believe that if I ask for the hood to be adjusted (the tech just blindly pointed out it's in spec) they will do it. Like anything its all about how I approach the request. In fact I may even start with my CA as when I was dropping off the car I ran into him and once again thanked him for everything he did regarding the Cerium eradication program, etc. I even said it was likely fate as although I thought the Tanzanite would go better with Chromeline but in reality Shadowline is the clear winner! My bet is if I point out the Black Sapphire M8's issue and mine he'll see to it that both the M8 and my M850i get properly aligned hoods.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #31
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
bloozemanAZ as a suggestion you might want to ask your dealer to contact the BMW Dingolfing plant to check if any of their robots on the 8 series production line have an '@' in their password?

Perhaps the programmer behind the BMW Connected Drive app, was promoted to work on the production line and he has been creating software updates for the robots which have been progressively applied. The programmers' new software updates do not work with @'s as he doesn't like them and so the robots with @ in their password burp whenever they mount the hood panel causing the abnormally large gap.

Look I know its out there, but its something that needs to be tested and eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Update on this end as posted in the 3D View (Connected Drive) issues thread I called out the hood panel gap when I dropped off the M850i this morning. My SA also agreed that it didn't look right but in the end it is within BMW factory spec guidelines. Seriously? I told my SA that I thought that was complete bullshit for a $128K car and he said he understood the sentiment but provided the attached spec guidelines from the tech doing the work.

Figured while I waited for the M850i to be valet'd for my pickup I'd check out the 2nd floor of the dealership which is their M Performance showroom. They had 5 M8s on the floor: one M8C coupe, one M8 coupe and 3 M8 convertibles. The M8C coupe's hood was slightly open as they had a battery charger connected so focused on the other M8s. The Donington Gray Metallic convertible had a flawless hood as

well as the Alpine White convertible. However, the Black Sapphire Metallic coupe's hood panel gap is as fucked up as my M850i.

The bottom line being that although everything is within factory specs this at least in my opinion is a huge QC issue with BMW. My past 20 years has been with Lexus and the BS differential of "within spec" would not ever hit a dealers floor. I chose the M850i over the Lexus LC 500 for the sheer performance and the beyond sub par Infotainment system. However, based on my 20 years with Lexus there is no way I'd be looking at a shit show of a panel gap in my hood if I chose the LC 500. Love the M850i and will live with the gap as everything else about the car makes me grin from ear to ear while just looking at it and even more so when behind the wheel.

BMW if you monitor this forum you've got some QC issues to deal with!
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #32
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Bottom line, a good tech should be able to adjust this. When I had a squeaky seat in my M6 BMW said that was normal. I complained and my tech took the seat out, made some bends to the mounting bracket where he felt it was rubbing with the plastic trim and voila, squeak gone. Later BMW used his adjustments to modify future brackets and put out a service bulletin. My point is a good dealership would make it right for you, especially something this easy. My dealership would in a heartbeat. They spent hours with the seat issue.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
RJC-11281.00
Ozzie8641.00
      02-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #33
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
bloozemanAZ as a suggestion you might want to ask your dealer to contact the BMW Dingolfing plant to check if any of their robots on the 8 series production line have an '@' in their password?

Perhaps the programmer behind the BMW Connected Drive app, was promoted to work on the production line and he has been creating software updates for the robots which have been progressively applied. The programmers' new software updates do not work with @'s as he doesn't like them and so the robots with @ in their password burp whenever they mount the hood panel causing the abnormally large gap.

Look I know its out there, but its something that needs to be tested and eliminated.
LOL

Appreciate 0