M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Future 911 to move to a modular platform

01-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Let's be precise (since Viffermike is)...

And I got your analogy right off the bat.

Turbo 4-cylinder boxer in a Cayman... blasphemy!
Not nearly the kind of blasphemy as sharing a platform with an Audi could be ... or water cooling was.

Besides: Drive one. IMHO, it's the best overall sports car under $160k-ish. And the engine is a bigger part of that than most think.

Finally: I love bacon cheeseburgers.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I can tell you’re a writer...hence the unprovoked long explanation of the origins of the hamburger, which showed you missed my point completely.
I understood your point fine. You just introduced a very poor analogy to demonstrate it (as a writer, I can recognize those quite well), which is why I called it out and provided that 'detail' as an explanation for calling it out.

Semantics suck, don't they?

(Kindly note that I didn't address the 'consumers' part of your post, which would make this thread political real quick -- just not interested in going there. I know burgers. I know politics, too ... enough to steer clear of it most of the time on pseudo-empowering forums such as this one.)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Didn't the 996 share its chassis with the Boxster? Both were good cars, fried egg and all.

Don't mind a fried egg on my medium rare green chile burger.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I understood your point fine. You just introduced a very poor analogy to demonstrate it (as a writer, I can recognize those quite well), which is why I called it out and provided that 'detail' as an explanation for calling it out.

(Kindly note that I didn't address the 'consumers' part of your post, which would make this thread political real quick -- just not interested in going there. I know burgers. I know politics, too ... enough to steer clear of it most of the time on pseudo-empowering forums such as this one.)
You’re a writer. Doesn’t mean you’re a creative writer (nor creative thinker, for that matter). My analogy was spot-on. A 911 has gone virtually unchanged for over five decades and still reigns supreme. Changing its mechanical organization would be changing its historical relevance. No different than putting a slice of bread between two beef patties would be changing the historical relevance of a hamburger.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A 911 has gone virtually unchanged for over five decades and still reigns supreme.
This is the funniest thing I've read all week. Simple assumptions from simplistic thoughts that many disagree with. Good luck with defending that, sir.

And since you also assumed (incorrectly) regarding my professional skill set for the sake of making an insult ... /out
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

YouÂ’re a writer. DoesnÂ’t mean youÂ’re a creative writer (nor creative thinker, for that matter). My analogy was spot-on. A 911 has gone virtually unchanged for over five decades and still reigns supreme. Changing its mechanical organization would be changing its historical relevance. No different than putting a slice of bread between two beef patties would be changing the historical relevance of a hamburger.
This would be so much better 22 years ago, but loses all value since the 996, 997 and 991 have massively changed the 911. You're into open face chicken sandwiches now, not burgers.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
You have a twin turbo 6 in the M, though. Lol
I've had an M20 and two N52s. No turbos. I'd go electric before I'd get a turbo car. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not nearly the kind of blasphemy as sharing a platform with an Audi could be ... or water cooling was.

Besides: Drive one. IMHO, it's the best overall sports car under $160k-ish. And the engine is a bigger part of that than most think.

Finally: I love bacon cheeseburgers.
It will be interesting to see the take up rate of the C9 Corvette with a mid-engine OHC V8. I won't buy another 3-series with them now being only a turbo car, and from what I read, no manual in the G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #31
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It will be interesting to see the take up rate of the C9 Corvette with a mid-engine OHC V8. I won't buy another 3-series with them now being only a turbo car, and from what I read, no manual in the G20.
Very. Though rumors of the mid-engine C8 being initially branded a Cadillac are spreading, and IMHO, it makes much more sense in that model lineup than Chevy's -- particularly when another rumor is that a front-engine C8 (more like a C7.5 refresh) will be sold for the first 1-2 years.

We're bound to learn more as the year goes along ...

Last edited by Viffermike; 02-01-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Did you guys skip a generation? C8 is the mid engine Corvette. And while there may be an initial Cadillac version, there will certainly be a Corvette, much like the XLR was for the C6.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You have a twin turbo 6 in the M, though. Lol
I've had an M20 and two N52s. No turbos. I'd go electric before I'd get a turbo car. Just sayin'
Didn't you have an E84? And honestly, my GTI motor is much better than the lump in my previous Mazda 3. That thing made me hate modern n/a.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:29 PM   #34
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
This is the funniest thing I've read all week. Simple assumptions from simplistic thoughts that many disagree with. Good luck with defending that, sir.

And since you also assumed (incorrectly) regarding my professional skill set for the sake of making an insult ... /out
The heart of the 911 and its place in history, rests over the rear wheels, both literally and figuratively. Regarding your quip about insults, that’s just not true. However, you wanted deference over this topic based on your job title. No one cares especially when you inject useless information about hamburgers as if anyone asked. Just saying, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Did you guys skip a generation? C8 is the mid engine Corvette. And while there may be an initial Cadillac version, there will certainly be a Corvette, much like the XLR was for the C6.
Yup. Typo. Meant C8.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn't you have an E84? And honestly, my GTI motor is much better than the lump in my previous Mazda 3. That thing made me hate modern n/a.
Nope.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #37
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.
Z3 M Coupe, 135i? I thought we had the same thing at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Z3 M Coupe, 135i? I thought we had the same thing at some point.
Nope. Have me confused with someone else.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #39
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I’m hungry
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00