M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Ticket for 1KPH over the limit? Not a smart officer

09-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Ticket for 1KPH over the limit? Not a smart officer

I wouldn't pass an officer on a 2 lane road, but this guy did not deserve this ticket.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartanntp
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I wouldn't pass an officer on a 2 lane road, but this guy did not deserve this ticket.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartanntp
I had a cop come totally unhinged about me passing him when he was going under the speed limit on a clear, sunny day. Yelled extensively about ?you never pass a police officer!? and ?didn?t you see me?!? After wasting at least five minutes of both of our time, and me being consistently cordial, I left without even a warning.

I think sometimes traffic cops just need to reaffirm that they?re special.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I had a cop come totally unhinged about me passing him when he was going under the speed limit on a clear, sunny day. Yelled extensively about ?you never pass a police officer!? and ?didn?t you see me?!? After wasting at least five minutes of both of our time, and me being consistently cordial, I left without even a warning.

This. Particularly toward the end of the month. (Anyone who thinks the quota system has been banished from the LEO experience should befriend a few officers and find out the truth.)

I pass them at will in situations such as this. LEOs have little recourse for such behavior these days -- particularly now that most are required to operate dash or body cams, and the citizenry wield them almost as readily. Situations like the above and the recent incident with the Utah officer forcibly arresting a nurse for following proper blood sample procedure (and, thus, undermining his plainly dubious authority) happen less and less because of cams. I feel it is helping to weed out bad seeds -- at the expense of also preventing the recruitment of good candidates, though. To my eyes, the phenomenon is very similar to what happened with teachers in the 1990s.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Any time a member of the public is stopped by an armed officer, there is a risk to both parties, particularly if the officer misreads the person that was stopped. So, for the safety of both the officer and the public, folks should only be stopped when warranted. Police officers who abuse their position of trust like the officer in the news report above are placing people (like us, our friends, children and other family members) in a position of unnecessary and potentially significant risk and in my opinion, should be dismissed outright.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Any time a member of the public is stopped by an armed officer, there is a risk to both parties, particularly if the officer misreads the person that was stopped. So, for the safety of both the officer and the public, folks should only be stopped when warranted. Police officers who abuse their position of trust like the officer in the news report above are placing people (like us, our friends, children and other family members) in a position of unnecessary and potentially significant risk and in my opinion, should be dismissed outright.
^ Exactly
and I'm all for cops wearing video recorders.. to monitor their behavior as well
they got a dangerous job but they're armed.. we're not
and why cant we pass cops? why theyre above the law?
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I've run into this a few times many years ago on divided highways in NYS, but haven't seen it in ages. State trooper going speed limit or slightly less in middle lane, queue of cars in left lane all scared to pass. The one time I recall passing, I set my cruise to the speed limit and passed him around 2mph faster. After I went, everyone followed.

I've never heard of "you never pass a police officer". Maybe on two-lane roads, but definitely not multi lane divided highway.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

I had the same thing happen once, he got all but hurt because I passed him a black Camaro SS at the speed limit. Luckily, I'm a federal investigator so he wasn't going to get away with feeding me BS about something that didn't happen. Said he was giving me an "unofficial warning", but I didn't have a front plate so he said to get it fixed.
Appreciate 2
Red Bread4462.00
      09-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Miami doesn't have a speed limit so this is never a problem
      09-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
While I know you're joking the amount of people that turn left after the light has turned red in Miami is something to marvel at.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

0 tolerance digs in our pockets !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
You’re not allowed to pass a police officer if they are driving under the speed limit? I didn’t know that. I do it all the time and have never been ticketed or pulled for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
While I know you're joking the amount of people that turn left after the light has turned red in Miami is something to marvel at.
You're 100% right about that, it's almost like we wait for the light to turn red, then wait for the traffic to stop and then we make the left lol
      09-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
You’re not allowed to pass a police officer if they are driving under the speed limit? I didn’t know that. I do it all the time and have never been ticketed or pulled for it.
I seriously doubt there's a law, what there might be is for an emergency vehicle with lights and siren, which is being misinterpreted to mean donut-mobiles just cruising.