M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Porsche Cayenne turbo reliability questions

09-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Porsche Cayenne turbo reliability questions

Rather than posting on rennlist and getting a bunch of "search" replies, I thought I'd post this here as a lot of you fellow m3/4 owners also seem to either have or have at one point owned a cayenne. In fact, I used to have a 2008 cayenne s myself but I am now looking into a 2013 or 2014 cayenne turbo for my wife and would like to get some input on reliability, common issues, weaknesses, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated. Porsche's seem to have good and not so good years and this is a car I'm planning on keeping for a while, so I want to make sure I buy the right one and know what to look for.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

The 2012+ are very reliable, 2011 had some minor issues. Of course if anything breaks, it ain't gonna be cheap...try to find a good CPO car. Definitely get a thorough PPI if the car isn't CPO'd, and even then you might still want to get an independent inspection to check for previous damage. Make sure you're familiar with the different options, CTT builds can range from $110k on up to $160-180k depending on options chosen but the options list has little effect on resale, so you can get a pretty nice deal on a more loaded up one if you can find the right car. You can plug in the VIN to www.vindecoderz.com to see the build sheet and original MSRP. Finding the perfect build/color scheme/price is like a needle in the haystack though...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

The 958.1 and .2 models are both extremely reliable when the maintenance is taken care of.

I just traded in my 2013 CTT bought new and had 100K on it when I got rid of it 2 weeks ago for my PTT. I had a fuel regulator cause a check engine light around 90K, a seeping oil leak on the oil pan gasket that I replaced in house around 93k and replaced the front diff around this time too just for precaution.

My dad had a 2011 CTT with 120k on it that he traded in for a new 2016 CTTS. These things run well and hard if taken care of.

The other weak spot is the carbon shaft which might go if the CTT has been abused stop light to stop light.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The 2012+ are very reliable, 2011 had some minor issues. Of course if anything breaks, it ain't gonna be cheap...try to find a good CPO car. Definitely get a thorough PPI if the car isn't CPO'd, and even then you might still want to get an independent inspection to check for previous damage. Make sure you're familiar with the different options, CTT builds can range from $110k on up to $160-180k depending on options chosen but the options list has little effect on resale, so you can get a pretty nice deal on a more loaded up one if you can find the right car. You can plug in the VIN to www.vindecoderz.com to see the build sheet and original MSRP. Finding the perfect build/color scheme/price is like a needle in the haystack though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
The 958.1 and .2 models are both extremely reliable when the maintenance is taken care of.

I just traded in my 2013 CTT bought new and had 100K on it when I got rid of it 2 weeks ago for my PTT. I had a fuel regulator cause a check engine light around 90K, a seeping oil leak on the oil pan gasket that I replaced in house around 93k and replaced the front diff around this time too just for precaution.

My dad had a 2011 CTT with 120k on it that he traded in for a new 2016 CTTS. These things run well and hard if taken care of.

The other weak spot is the carbon shaft which might go if the CTT has been abused stop light to stop light.
This is why I love this forum! Thanks for the input guys!

The only major issue that I've come across seems to be a large number of transfer case failures on the CTT. Sounds like it wasn't an issue on either of your cars though.
Appreciate 0