M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How much does it typically cost to get a car detailed?

09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #23
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtcarroll View Post
People in this thread make me laugh. Too much for a detail? Ever really detail a car properly?

Clean engine
Clean wheels off car
Wash exterior
Clay bar/ paint correction
Seal/wax
Clean interior

On a good day it would take all day.

So 8 hours ? (Which I think is low)

A real company would need atleast $75 a hour so there's $600 plus his materials.

All detailers cut corners to get the cost down to where people who don't own businesses think it should cost.

No I'm not a detailer but I put some thought into it and I don't see how someone could do it "right" for a living unless they had the right clients.

For people to claim more then $150 is too much for a full detail is laughable!
Super reputable local shop in my town *starts* around $800 (single stage paint correction with ceramic coating) and goes way up. Based on the pictures of cars and the services, they must average well over $1000 per car. The quality of cars that roll through that shop make it clear it is the shop for the enthusiasts.

Used to read some detailing threads where 20-30 hours was common for multi-stage paint correction.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #24
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

Quote:
People in this thread make me laugh. Too much for a detail? Ever really detail a car properly?

Clean engine
Clean wheels off car
Wash exterior
Seal/wax
Clean interior

A real company would need atleast $75 a hour so there's $600 plus his materials.

All detailers cut corners to get the cost down to where people who don't own businesses think it should cost.

No I'm not a detailer but I put some thought into it and I don't see how someone could do it "right" for a living unless they had the right clients.

I've never paid for a detailing, and only recently started doing my own detail work - I just now found out I've been washing cars wrong for 30+ years!!

Recently did the listed items above (ex taking the wheels off) - 6.5 hours and that was pushing it. Assume someone that does this for "pay" could do it in half the time (I somehow doubt that), you'd be looking at ~$50/hr at $150. So, if you're only paying $150, they are either shorting you on quality, or willing to take only ~$20/hr.

I also find it hard to believe a quality detail for only $150. I suspect (again, never tested the open market) $300 is the starting point if you want it done well.
      09-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:

Clean engine
Clean wheels off car
Wash exterior
Seal/wax
Clean interior

You must work like a turtle if that takes you 8 hours lol.

I think you're not taking into consideration the price gauging that's been exploding in the detail business in the past 5-10 years.
Sad thing is people are willing the shell out the $$ so prices are justifiable.

Take a look at ceramic coating example. Even with paint correction done do you really think charging $500 to lay it on is a good deal? I think not.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I get a car wash that is hand wash including tire dressing for $25. The dealer will was the car for free and I have a white car so I don't worry too much about swirl marks, it's not going to be as obvious as a black car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #27
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
It depends, the guy who does detailing in the parking garage of my office building charges $35 for a simple handwash with interior vacuum and cleaning of all panels, windows, door jambs, etc. However, when I had a full detail where no part of the car was left untouched, with 3 stage polish and ceramic coating, i paid $1500. Generally, a good detail should be around in the neighbourhood of $150-200 depending on how dirty the car is.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Quote:

Clean engine
Clean wheels off car
Wash exterior
Seal/wax
Clean interior

I think you're not taking into consideration the price gauging that's been exploding in the detail business in the past 5-10 years.

Take a look at ceramic coating example. Even with paint correction done do you really think charging $500 to lay it on is a good deal? I think not.
Explain why you think it?s not? $50-$75 of sealant, another $20-$50 of supplies (polish, wash, consumables, water, electricity, even a few nickels for amortizing polishers, lamps, etc) and let?s be really generous and say it?s just four hours top to bottom and an hour of cure and final prep, so four and a quarter hours of used floor space and labor, and you?re counting on labor being significantly cheaper than a mechanic?s rate.

This all assumes that the car is in okay shape to begin with, and not your neighbor?s neglected car. You pay a premium if your car?s in great shape, but it?s actually a discount if you?re one of those that just ignores your car between details.

Before I had my kid, I?d detail my friends cars for $200. That was usually a wash, clay, scratch removal, two stages of machine polish and a sealant. I can guarantee you that no money was made in those deals and that thinking that or even $300 is a fair price is pretty amusing. Could a shop with really cheap labor, rent and materials and substandard practices get by with charging $300? Of course, but if you like your car, seek out something better, or better yet, learn to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I get a car wash that is hand wash including tire dressing for $25. The dealer will was the car for free and I have a white car so I don't worry too much about swirl marks, it's not going to be as obvious as a black car.
Just know that white paint is the hardest paint and the worst to correct. It has titanium in it. Once you swirl up or dull white out, it?s a lot of work to get it right again. Always avoid the dealers swirl generators.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Explain why you think it?s not? $50-$75 of sealant, another $20-$50 of supplies (polish, wash, consumables, water, electricity, even a few nickels for amortizing polishers, lamps, etc) and let?s be really generous and say it?s just four hours top to bottom and an hour of cure and final prep, so four and a quarter hours of used floor space and labor, and you?re counting on labor being significantly cheaper than a mechanic?s rate.

This all assumes that the car is in okay shape to begin with, and not your neighbor?s neglected car. You pay a premium if your car?s in great shape, but it?s actually a discount if you?re one of those that just ignores your car between details.

Before I had my kid, I?d detail my friends cars for $200. That was usually a wash, clay, scratch removal, two stages of machine polish and a sealant. I can guarantee you that no money was made in those deals and that thinking that or even $300 is a fair price is pretty amusing. Could a shop with really cheap labor, rent and materials and substandard practices get by with charging $300? Of course, but if you like your car, seek out something better, or better yet, learn to do it yourself.
Most cars do not need a 3 stage paint correction.
Most detailers push for more work when its simply not needed and most detailers here are mobile so there's not much overhead.

I do agree though I have a shop that does perfect work when I'm not in the mood or lazy which I'll gladly give my $$ over. There's just too many inexperienced guys asking for a lot $$ for no reason. Maybe it's different outside of NY.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #31
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Around my area (san Francisco) you are looking at minimum $500 for wash, clay, polish, wax. Overhead is high, minimum wage is high, and people are picky as hell. And the price goes up from there, ceramic coat is an ungodly price to have done around here. I typically do my own detail work, but I am not that picky in general. I also have the luxury of having product on hand at my workplace (doesn't mean I have time to use it though...).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #32
ssgtcarroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135I

Still people don't understand labor rates.
A real business has to cover a lot of overhead.

Only way your going to get a decent job cheaper is if it's someone not paying taxes, not paying rent, workers comp, etc etc.

Where I work we get 80-100 a hour. I do not get paid anywhere near that. Overhead....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #33
ssgtcarroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lol slow....you are just not doing it right. Please explain your super fast process.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #34
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Around 20 years ago, my BMW dealer had a 3rd party detailing service when you brought your car in for service. It was ~$200 (in 1996 money), and I figured why not and assumed it would be decent. Big mistake.

Now when I take my car into service (same dealer in fact), they have "NO WASH" in my account so it gets printed at the top of every service. I don't even want their free hand wash.

Some people don't want anyone washing their car except themselves. Others like "clean cars", so they run them through automatic car washes, or the local high school fundraising car wash. Others don't give a crap (like my co-worker), who said why bother washing, it's just going to rain?

I am definitely in the first category. Detail shops are like people and have huge ranges in quality and service. Paying $1K+ for a full detail from a top shop would be crazy talk to some people. But for others, they spend that for new car prep (including paint correction for a car with 0 miles) and pay more to add xpel.

There was a guy from NY on this forum that bought a BRZ/FRS/GT-86 and covered the whole thing in blue painters tape to drive it over to Detailers Domain in NJ for a full new car prep (paint correction, ceramic, xpel, etc).

I thought that was a little over the top because they are pretty common and not too expensive, but if I ever bought a brand new "special car" (M car, P car, anything special that I planned to keep pristine for ever), I would do the same and factor in $2K+ for a proper new car prep.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #35
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol slow....you are just not doing it right. Please explain your super fast process.
Do you even read? lol If a light detail takes me 2.5 hours you think engine bay and seats(I only do this once a year with leatherique or swissvax) takes 5.5 hours? Get a power washer, no rinse soap, and rupes polisher.

You sound like a ignorant fool making claims that "I might not be doing it right" . Are you just a fat slob taking your sweet ass time?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #36
ssgtcarroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you even read? lol If a light detail takes me 2.5 hours you think engine bay and seats(I only do this once a year with leatherique or swissvax) takes 5.5 hours? Get a power washer, no rinse soap, and rupes polisher.

You sound like a ignorant fool making claims that "I might not be doing it right" . Are you just a fat slob taking your sweet ass time?
Caught me.

I said a full correct detail takes more then 8 hours. That's making sure the car is as like new condition as possible without getting the paint gun out....

So if a customer comes to you and says I want my 65,000 mile car that's never had any corrections done or a proper detail done and he ask you how much?

How many hours to cover you work?
What's your materials list and process?

I'm just making the point that anything less is cutting steps out and/or corners.

For you to assume I'm a slow slob is the exact thing I am talking about of people not understanding what it takes to do it right. For you to mention "light detail" sounds like your not even trying to argue with me properly.

Again explain your process of doing a full proper detail and your time?

And keep your childish name calling bullshit out of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Caught me.

I said a full correct detail takes more then 8 hours. That's making sure the car is as like new condition as possible without getting the paint gun out....

So if a customer comes to you and says I want my 65,000 mile car that's never had any corrections done or a proper detail done and he ask you how much?

How many hours to cover you work?
What's your materials list and process?

I'm just making the point that anything less is cutting steps out and/or corners.

For you to assume I'm a slow slob is the exact thing I am talking about of people not understanding what it takes to do it right. For you to mention "light detail" sounds like your not even trying to argue with me properly.

Again explain your process of doing a full proper detail and your time?

And keep your childish name calling bullshit out of it.
You seem butt hurt. lol
I've gone as far as doing ceramic coating on my car with paint correction which does take a long time.
You realize detailing steps and practices are very "subjective" but I'll play

-After wash and clay
- Menzerna heavy cut compound
- Menzerna med cut compound
- Menzerna Med Cut polish
- Gttechniq panel wipe
- Sonax Net Polymer Shield
- P21s or Wolfgang fusion wax
Appreciate 0