M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2017 Dodge Viper GTS-R Sets Unofficial 7:03.45 Lap Time in First Nurburgring Attempt

07-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #45
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Who cares? Car's dead. What's next, Fangio's F1 car? A 917 on modern tires? A Tyrrell 6 wheeler?

if i drove an x1 i'd be mad at life too.

stop talking.

its sad to see the viper go, what an animal of a machine.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Who cares? Car's dead. What's next, Fangio's F1 car? A 917 on modern tires? A Tyrrell 6 wheeler?

if i drove an x1 i'd be mad at life too.

stop talking.

its sad to see the viper go, what an animal of a machine.
X1 had a date with a telephone pole, no worries.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #47
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Because it's a street legal track car that will destroy a GT3 RS on the track, which is the place both of those cars are built to drive in. Because I go to the track to drive fast, which is the stated intention of most people there.

Have you driven a GT3s on the street? I have so I will welcome you back into the real world. Welcome. For someone to call that 'much better to drive on the street' is interesting, because a regular GT3 has rock solid suspension which seems to have dampers made of granite. You cannot daily drive a GT3 RS any more than a Viper, I'm sorry.
I haven't driven a GT3 RS, but it would be logical to conclude it is an even worse DD than a regular GT3.

Now, if you're talking about which car is better to show off in a Cars and Coffee... that is a different story.

I sincerely hope the new GT2 RS is able to beat the ACR's time. At 300k$ list price and 500k$ actual price, I hope the Porsche fanboys throw a party celebrating that a car that costs as much as a unloaded Porsche 911 GTS is beat by another costing 4x that much. Heroic! What a feat!!

Next up, a carbon hulled $30M dollar sail boat manages to beat a liferaft with one oar and a child doing the rowing! It's owners are throwing a party to celebrate their achievement!

Also, it isn't my problem that Porsche is unable to build their track cars with proper downforce or horsepower. That's on them. That they have suckers willing to pay is also obvious.
"Oh but wait my GT3 RS is a MUCH better street car than that Viper!! Because, you know, I never ever trailer my GT3 RS that isn't even registered because it's such a badass track car. I made sure to buy a 'race car' that was really comfortable driving the wifey around and of course this is my only car so I had to make sure to buy the comfort edition one"

Fortunately, in the real world a 918 owner makes a long post on Rennlist about how much he likes the ACR as a track car. It's good to see some people aren't starved for attention badge whores and simply like cars based on their merits. I guess you need real money to do that. Meanwhile, all the poor starving people live their lives hoping and wishing they scrap enough dough together to buy a GT3 because it's a true 'race car'.
Damn dude, did a Porsche owner bang your wife or what?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #48
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Damn dude, did a Porsche owner bang your wife or what?
Nopes

Just tired of some stuck up fanboys of a brand that this forum doesn't even represent try hard to discredit cars that are huge standard bearers of performance driving.

Anyone who loves performance cars should be pretty impressed with a 7:03 lap done over one or two sessions and in a 6MT car.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #49
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nopes

Just tired of some stuck up fanboys of a brand that this forum doesn't even represent try hard to discredit cars that are huge standard bearers of performance driving.

Anyone who loves performance cars should be pretty impressed with a 7:03 lap done over one or two sessions and in a 6MT car.

i'm with you. lots of pcar fanboys. none which will ever see the track.

just like an infinite amount of M fanboys who never track, just run their mouth.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      08-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #50
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i'm with you. lots of pcar fanboys. none which will ever see the track.

just like an infinite amount of M fanboys who never track, just run their mouth.
I'm sure there are plenty of M fanboys which will never push their cars, but this is the M forum after all.

All the P car wannabe owners here are like going into the Mustang forum and hearing people talk about M cars all day. It's quite tiresome.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #51
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Didn't know so many people here appreciated the ACR. Any owners on this forum?
I own an F80 and I my dad has an ACR-E. I've taken it to the track about six days or so. I have a cool dad to say the least.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      08-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #52
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

355's rears
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #53
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Dang them US cars, Viper ACR 7.03min Nurburgring

This Is not Sport Auto test, but they as all other use the sport auto lap stretch to compare as Its since way back the only lap standard everybody use.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #54
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

American cars are finally competing! took them long enough, its like vizio tv's they show the great picture and performance but would you one? No replacement for displacement and low weight is low times! Simple formula, other car companies are more focused on other productive models or have proven points before...USA just coming from behind like a rapist as usual!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #55
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I find it odd how the driver often has his right hand resting on this shifter and only drives with his left hand, even when he is not shifting. I was always tought never to do that. It does not prevent him from having a hell of a pace though .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #56
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Anglo, that looks like an appropriately sized rear tire to me!!
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #57
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyMedicated View Post
American cars are finally competing! took them long enough, its like vizio tv's they show the great picture and performance but would you one? No replacement for displacement and low weight is low times! Simple formula, other car companies are more focused on other productive models or have proven points before...USA just coming from behind like a rapist as usual!
And this is 7:03 with a manual transmission at that. Your move Corvette ZR-1.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #58
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Everyone is moving to automatic transmissions because of "wanting faster lap times", then please explain this video.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #59
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Everyone is moving to automatic transmissions because of "wanting faster lap times", then please explain this video.
I do think the ACR would be even faster though with a proper DCT.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #60
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
355's rears

friend of mine has the same exact car. it's unreal in person.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #61
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
X2, F1 teams aren't looking at manual transmissions for better lap times.
      08-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #62
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
It would be **way** faster with a DCT.

Forget about the shift times and ability to downshift or upshift in the middle of a corner. Just watch the video and see this guy holding the steering wheel with a single hand like a cretin half the time because he's shifting. Imagine the difference if he could keep both hands on the wheel at all times
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #63
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
First Chevy has to build something that doesn't overheat instantly. It's such a shame the Z06 is a piece of crap. For 90k it would be the ultimate track weapon if it weren't for the overheating
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #64
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Because it needs to compete against a car that is no longer be built? Then if anything, we learned that lap times are important to some but the market didn't care enough to buy this car in numbers that made sense to keep building it.

I don't see Corvette worrying about this car and if I worked there I wouldn't bring up this car as something we need to follow.

Last edited by David70; 08-04-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #65
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Because it's a street legal track car that will destroy a GT3 RS on the track, which is the place both of those cars are built to drive in. Because I go to the track to drive fast, which is the stated intention of most people there.

Have you driven a GT3s on the street? I have so I will welcome you back into the real world! For someone to call that 'much better to drive on the street' is interesting, because a regular GT3 has rock solid suspension which seems to have dampers made of granite. You cannot daily drive a GT3 RS any more than a Viper, I'm sorry.
I haven't driven a GT3 RS, but it would be logical to conclude it is an even worse DD than a regular GT3.

Now, if you're talking about which car is better to show off in a Cars and Coffee... that is a different story.

I sincerely hope the new GT2 RS is able to beat the ACR's time. At 300k$ list price and 500k$ actual price, I hope the Porsche fanboys throw a party celebrating that a car that costs as much as a unloaded Porsche 911 GTS is beat by another costing 4x that much. Heroic! What a feat!!

Next up, a carbon hulled $30M dollar sail boat manages to beat a liferaft with one oar and a child doing the rowing! Its owners are throwing a party to celebrate their achievement!

Also, it isn't my problem that Porsche is unable to build their track cars with proper downforce or horsepower. That's on them. That they have suckers willing to pay is also obvious.
"Oh but wait my GT3 RS is a MUCH better street car than that Viper!! Because, you know, I never eeeeever trailer my GT3 RS that isn't even registered because it's such a badass track car. I made sure to buy a 'race car' that was really comfortable driving the wifey around and of course this is my only car so I had to make sure that comfort was high on the list"

Fortunately, in the real world a 918 owner makes a long post on Rennlist about how much he likes the ACR as a track car. It's good to see some people aren't starved for attention badge whores and simply like cars based on their merits. I guess you need real money to do that.
Meanwhile, people risk starvation wishing they can scrape enough dough together to buy a GT3 because it's a true 'race car'. But a *comfortable* race car, because that's real important
I think the GT3 given how well it is damped is easily driven on the street. I've also driven the RS and don't find it to be uncomfortable either.
I also don't think that saying Porsche cant design a car with downforce is totally wrong. They absolutely can, but choose not to make a (parimarily) street car with 1200 lbs of downforce and a wing as big as the ACR. I could also say it doesn't take 6-7 liters to make decent power but that is simply different engineering in how they get there.
I'll be out driving the new GT3 next week so I'll see how the new one is too.
I will wager a friendly bet the GT2RS will be well under the 7 min mark (6:46 is my guess) and will do so with a bit more power as we know but far less downforce than the ACR.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #66
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
First Chevy has to build something that doesn't overheat instantly. It's such a shame the Z06 is a piece of crap. For 90k it would be the ultimate track weapon if it weren't for the overheating
the 2017 z06's in manual form don't overheat anymore neither does the Zl1.
Appreciate 0