M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Maryland sales tax on leased cars - WTF?

08-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
ProV1
Rep
Drives: car

Maryland sales tax on leased cars - WTF?

How does Maryland get away with:

1. Charging full 6% sales tax up front on leased cars, not based on the monthly payment

2. Charging 6% tax AGAIN on the same car if you decide to buy it at lease end.

WTF???
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

are you sure ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post

1. Charging full 6% sales tax up front on leased cars, not based on the monthly payment

WTF???
Get the fuck out!! That's double taxation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:

WTF???
You always pay the full amount of sales tax on the total amount of payments, it is just either broken up into the monthly payment or paid in full.

Are you saying they are charging you 6% of the cars purchase value up front instead of the amount of payments?

And yes, since you are then PURCHASING the car, you get taxed on that value.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Get the fuck out!! That's double taxation.
And?

There's nothing illegal about double- (or triple-, quadruple-, quintuple-, etc.) taxation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Texas is the same way. On a lease you get taxed on full sales price of the vehicle. Then if you decide to buy out at end of the lease. You pay taxes again on buyout price.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Damn that is nuts. In S.C it is capped at $300.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

WTF???
Its the same car, but not the same owner. The first time you are paying sales tax as a lessee on behalf of the lessor. At the end of the lease and you buy the car it is a separate, taxable transaction to change ownership. Every time a car is sold it is subject to sales tax. Not pleasant but it does make sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Its the same car, but not the same owner. The first time you are paying sales tax as a lessee on behalf of the lessor. At the end of the lease and you buy the car it is a separate, taxable transaction to change ownership. Every time a car is sold it is subject to sales tax. Not pleasant but it does make sense.
Where it is different from most states is how much tax is being paid. Most states you only pay tax on the value/amount of car used during the maturity of the lease.

It Texas for example if you buy a $40k with residual of 50%, you pay taxes on full $40k. Either pay up front or divide it over life of the lease. Then when you buy the car out, you pay tax again on $20k(50%). So you are paying taxes on $60k if you lease and then decide to buy the car out.

Most states during the lease you would only pay taxes on $20k(50% residual), divided through the life of the lease.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Maryland has a rain tax too.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #11
sebringsc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Illinois just got rid of this "double taxation" earlier this year. I never understood why anyone would lease, especially with tax around 10% in Chicago. This certainly kept me from leasing in the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

And you don't only pay sales tax on the difference when trading in a leased vehicle. Leases are great for high residual vehicles like Lexus but are rarely worth it in the end for lower residual cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

WTF???
Because it's Maryland.

At least it's 4% in VA. Although I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean on point number 1. The sales tax in most states for a leased car is based on the cap cost. I know in Virginia on a leased car, you pay the 4% on the full value of the car anyway.

Then on top of that I pay property tax every year on the appraised value of my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Damn that is nuts. In S.C it is capped at $300.
Think it's about the only good thing about SC taxes though...
      08-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Texas is the same way. On a lease you get taxed on full sales price of the vehicle. Then if you decide to buy out at end of the lease. You pay taxes again on buyout price.
Yep, dealing with this now. Thanks BMW for not making an F series car that's worth buying.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #16
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Think it's about the only good thing about SC taxes though...
You can take out the word taxes in your statement

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #17
Dattebayo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M-Sport

Well for such states, the BMW Select program is better than leasing. It is basically leasing, but done so as a finance, as you are only financing a portion of the vehicle and have a balloon payment at the end. BMW mainly designed this program for such states where such taxation is a problem. The only thing is that would be different than a lease is that you would either trade or sell the vehicle before the balloon payment is due.
      08-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yep, dealing with this now. Thanks BMW for not making an F series car that's worth buying.

Thank you!

To think I was reading this thread simply to learn about sales tax and leasing and I saw your valuable, yet irrelevant trolst to let us F3x owners know that our cars are not worth buying.

I'm going to sell mine today while I can still get something for it. Once the news of your post gets out and the market finds out that F series cars aren't worth buying the prices will drop like rocks. I just hope I can sell mine before the crash begins. Man I'm glad I read your post. I love learning new things.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Thank you!

To think I was reading this thread simply to learn about sales tax and leasing and I saw your valuable, yet irrelevant trolst to let us F3x owners know that our cars are not worth buying.

I'm going to sell mine today while I can still get something for it. Once the news of your post gets out and the market finds out that F series cars aren't worth buying the prices will drop like rocks. I just hope I can sell mine before the crash begins. Man I'm glad I read your post. I love learning new things.
I commented on Texas having double taxation on leased cars. But you added value about that earlier.

Sorry I don't like your car, can't imagine how that effects your enjoyment of it.

Actually I might even like your car, it's just that BMW USA doesn't let me have what I'd want. A rwd F31 340i with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
Well for such states, the BMW Select program is better than leasing. It is basically leasing, but done so as a finance, as you are only financing a portion of the vehicle and have a balloon payment at the end. BMW mainly designed this program for such states where such taxation is a problem. The only thing is that would be different than a lease is that you would either trade or sell the vehicle before the balloon payment is due.
Seems like you might as well just finance if for 72 or 84 months and skip having to deal with it half way through. The benefits of the lease are gone and when the initial time period runs out you will need to sell or refinance it, same thing you could do with the really long loan, just sell it when you want to.

I don't see how it is "basically like leasing". Lease gives a guaranteed residual, car value takes a dive and it isn't your problem, when it is over you take it back and problem is gone, do regular maintenance, make payments and regardless of how much of a problem the car is or accidents or whatever happens your problems go away with the lease term. Besides this also giving a low payment they don't seem to be the same to me.
      08-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
Dattebayo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Seems like you might as well just finance if for 72 or 84 months and skip having to deal with it half way through. The benefits of the lease are gone and when the initial time period runs out you will need to sell or refinance it, same thing you could do with the really long loan, just sell it when you want to.

I don't see how it is "basically like leasing". Lease gives a guaranteed residual, car value takes a dive and it isn't your problem, when it is over you take it back and problem is gone, do regular maintenance, make payments and regardless of how much of a problem the car is or accidents or whatever happens your problems go away with the lease term. Besides this also giving a low payment they don't seem to be the same to me.
Well for one, it is similar to lease to where your initial capital investment is much less than any down payment on a loan for the car. Also the monthly payment is quite a bit lower, my BMW Select payment is lower than even the lease rate of the car. MY BMW Select is for 5 years with a balloon of about $15000. I have owned 5 BMWs in my lifetime and a 5 year old BMW never has a lower residual than $15000. If anything, I feel the Select Program is better in certain ways as you aren't locked into a term. If you wanted to sell the car the day after you purchase it or a few months or years later, you aren't bound by the lease term.
      08-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #22
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

I've never understood leasing...it's like having a long term rental car. I like knowing at the end of those payments the car is mine. It's great not having a car payment.
Appreciate 0