M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Running out of lease, test a Pontiac G8 GXP. WOW!

04-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #67
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Regardless of what you think qualify as a BMW, his point of BMW's being more common in Europe then here is valid. I have been to the UK, Germany, and many other European countries and BMW's are more common there then here in the US. True, I still wouldn't compare them to Ford and Chevy( although it still doesn't detract from them), and that they are 120's, 320's, etc, but they are a BMW none the less.
depends on where you live... Where I live (Montreal and Beirut), they are just as common there as they are here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msitter View Post
It is nitwits like comet that prove my point. His car is his manhood. He is just trying to impress people with how much he spent on his car if it is not leased. By the way my 328i is owned and lacks only nav and automatic from having every factory option on the convertible list. I am now tired of this thread. It is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
A BMW 3 Series is not a luxury car in the US (in Europe with the in-line six it is). A 5 and the 7 are luxury cars. The 3 is just an over-priced economy car that is only sold in the US with the 3 L six. They are cop cars in most
European countries for god's sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benyl View Post
Haha, typical BMW driver. Thinks his car is so great, but doesn't realize that it is just like a Honda Civic in Europe.

They use the E class and the 5 series as taxi cabs in Europe.

Here is a quote from another guy on another forum that thinks just like you:
I find it funny how all of the people who bashed me on this all own small engined BMWs...

allow me to correct you... YOUR beemers are used as taxis/civics... mostly their diesel versions.
my 80,000$ E93 335i (yes, owned) is NOT used as a taxi... sorry to burst your bubbles..

@OP
buy whatever car you want dude. it;s your money end of the day, and I wasn't trying to say anything different. My reply was aimed at msitter who was just straight up bashing BMWs.
If all you guys hate BMWs so much and it's the same thing as a Civic and how it's such a POS, then sell your cars, buy a civic, put on some neons, quit hating on BMW and leave us BMW guys alone...
      04-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #68
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Not a day over 20 I'll bet.............

We are all so proud and honored that you/parents spent 80K on an E93. Are you better than the thousands of individuals that drive the range of cars that made BMW what it is today and without there would be no BMW? OF COURSE YOU ARE.

Maybe tilt those blinders down a bit and take a peek at the reality that is passing you by.

And by the way, the only person "hating" on BMW within this thread is .....you.

Brilliant!

Last edited by gonzo; 04-08-2009 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: car model.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #69
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
GM already disbanded all the entire "V" line. No more V cars.

I don't understand why everyone is still so impressed with a large displacement engine sitting on any platform. That's the American way. That's why GM failed. Most people are starting to realize that's just absurd. Anyone can take a large displacement engine and produce decent hp. So you're at 6L and only producing 400hp. You think that's a lot? 4L M3 produces that cutting down 2L in the process. Dumbass Americans would buy a shopping cart if it had an LS6 in it. GM is just way behind in the times concerning automotive engineering.
You, my friend are a total fucking moron. The reason GM failed is NOT the large displacement V8. In fact, the LS series of V8s is about the only thing that kept GM alive at all, and one of the better overall engines in the world. Piss poor management and too many brands, along with a glacial response time to market conditions, and lack of attention to detail in their smaller cars (i.e. building down to a price, rather than up to a standard) is what did it. AND lack of good negotiations with the Unions with massive legacy costs to union members.

And then the comment about dumbass Americans vs the LS6. The near total ignorance and elitism that shows says it all about you. I wish it physically hurt to be as stupid as you, so that people like you would do something about remedying their stupidity.

Hp/liter? Really? You want to go there, you twat? This engine makes almost 500 hp per liter:

Would it be suitable to power your car? If hp/liter is important, and shows advanced engineering, then that engine should be the FIRST choice for your race car OR street car. Now why isn't it a good choice? If hp/liter is an important metric when choosing a car engine, then the ultimate goal is an engine like that one.

Smaller engines can make better hp liter just by virtue of being smaller! Hp/liter is only important in countries where displacement is taxed, or in racing classes where displacement is capped and you have to extract the most power from a given displacement. Outside of that, a street car does best with a wide flat torque curve, and the best way to get that is with displacement.

By it's very nature, a smaller enigne will have more hp/liter at the same state of tune than a larger one. But at the same state of tune, the large one will have MORE hp and torque than the smaller one, even if it has a "worse" hp/liter ratio.

Seriously, hp/liter is most commonly uses as an excuse ricers use to explain why they "won" the race, even if they were 10 carlengths back at the finish.

Let me clarify even more... even in a racing class where displacement is capped, more hp is the goal, not more hp per liter (by its very nature, getting more hp from a displacement capped engine is more hp/liter, but the hp/liter spec is a byproduct, not the actual goal). It's about getting more hp to win the race, not specifically about getting more hp/liter. Because in a, say, 2.5 liter class, a 2.5 liter making 250 hp will beat a 1.5 liter making 200 hp, even though the 1.5 liter has more hp/liter. So it isn't the hp/liter that matters, but the total hp for the weight of the car.

See what I'm getting at, yet? If hp/liter were important, then less hp would still be better as long as it was more hp/liter.

And we come back to the question of, would you want that model airplane engine, making 500 hp/liter, powering your car? No. Because hp/liter is not as important as hp/per lb of car.

The M3 engine isn't as tractable and driveable in as many situations as the larger displacement LSx, due to the larger displacement engine's wider torque curve. It's also PHYSICALLY larger in outside dimensions than the GM engine, considerably more complex, and costs more to get the same output, and very likely less reliabale overall (seriously, BMW does NOT have the greatest track record in reliability. My car is considered a car to avoid due to that factor alone...). Now why is making something more complex and more expensive to do the same job the better way of going about things in ANY area of business?

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #70
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

I had a 2004 GTO. I drove 50,000 hard miles. With over 500 drag strip runs.
I only had to change oil. The car was bullet proof.

My 2007 335i e90 has been in the shop 7 times.

German cars don't have good reliability. Thats a fact.

6th gear in the LS cars are really out there. Easy to get close to 30 mph on a road trip. About par with a 335.

The BMW is smoother and has a better brake feel. I like the G8 GXP but i think 40k is still to much.
      04-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #71
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '10 W204 w/m156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I find it funny how all of the people who bashed me on this all own small engined BMWs...

allow me to correct you... YOUR beemers are used as taxis/civics... mostly their diesel versions.
my 80,000$ E93 335i (yes, owned) is NOT used as a taxi... sorry to burst your bubbles..
Ummm. My mommy didn't buy my 335 or my M3.

Sorry to say, but I consider my $65K 335i a civic. In Calgary, they are everywhere. Maybe in Beirut, they are the shit, but here, they are dime a dozen.

What is so luxury about a 3 series?
      04-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #72
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Not a day over 20 I'll bet.............

We are all so proud and honored that you/parents spent 80K on an E93. Are you better than the thousands of individuals that drive the range of cars that made BMW what it is today and without there would be no BMW? OF COURSE YOU ARE.

Maybe tilt those blinders down a bit and take a peek at the reality that is passing you by.

And by the way, the only person "hating" on BMW within this thread is .....you.

Brilliant!
Quote:

Sorry to say, but I consider my $65K 335i a civic. In Calgary, they are everywhere. Maybe in Beirut, they are the shit, but here, they are dime a dozen.

lol I got both 335is myself... no help from parents..
the E90 is a lease, the E93 is a purchase

@benyl, good.. go buy a civic... cool story bro... no seriously.. cool story... can I be your friend?
In Beirut the E93 335i goes for about 150k$... so it's kind of rarer here.. but you still see a few around.
      04-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #73
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
GM already disbanded all the entire "V" line. No more V cars.

I don't understand why everyone is still so impressed with a large displacement engine sitting on any platform. That's the American way. That's why GM failed. Most people are starting to realize that's just absurd. Anyone can take a large displacement engine and produce decent hp. So you're at 6L and only producing 400hp. You think that's a lot? 4L M3 produces that cutting down 2L in the process. Dumbass Americans would buy a shopping cart if it had an LS6 in it. GM is just way behind in the times concerning automotive engineering.

If hp/liters is such a big consideration, why aren't you driving a Honda?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #74
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Maybe the customers don't like open tops when they get in the taxi.

Who cares about badge? BMW is just BMW,,Its no lambo, aston, or porsche.
M3 will always be better than Porsche boxter. It's the car itself,,not the badge!
      04-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #75
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

To ChrisV,

Well said! I'll bet any money that the F30 (next gen) M3 will have a larger V-8 than the one in the E90. Funny how BMW ran out of HP for the I6 and had to go to a "small block" V-8 to keep up with Audi and Lexus. Seems to me GM figured that out some time ago, like 1955

Don't get me wrong, I think the N52 is a great motor (N54 with a decent fuel pump is good too). I'm afraid as BMW now has V-8s running M3s, it won't be long until they start using 90 deg V-6's with balancers for the non-M cars. I'll walk from BMW then.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #76
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
depends on where you live...
If all you guys hate BMWs so much and it's the same thing as a Civic and how it's such a POS, then sell your cars, buy a civic, put on some neons, quit hating on BMW and leave us BMW guys alone...
A few of us on this Forum have been driving BMWs a bit longer than you, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #77
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

This post sounds pretty outrageous. You sound as bad at 'Comet'. I live in Toronto, a bigger city, with more money then Calgary. On my daily drive into work, I would say a 335 is 'nicer' then 8/10 cars on the road. Of course this depends on the area. But on average as a whole, it's about right. I would say that makes it a luxury car. If you're comparing it to a 7 series its not .. but it's very relative. Relative to the majority of cars on the road.

Last edited by BMdblU; 04-10-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #78
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

be careful, GM is filing for bankruptcy
      04-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #79
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS View Post
Wow. That was a can of worms.

Had no idea. In fact, I've been a bit of a badge snob for a long time now. I finally decided to pop my head out of the sand and look around a little. And not just at Audi. The Audi is just a slower BMW with a nicer dash as far as I'm concerned. It was almost odd feeling walking into the Pontiac dealership. How fucked up is that that I think this is somehow beneath me. What and arrogant prick am I anyway?

This family sedan, (what I need above all is a family sedan) meets all of my criteria. Very roomy. 5 series space. Nice exterior design, huge trunk and what I consider a very modern and simple dash layout.

Ultimately, as a serious car guy, I would be a idiot not to seriously consider this car. It's designed for a guy like me that has a family, and LOVES a great handling car with a big stinking motor. It's a Corvette engine for god's sake. This is as close to a 4 door Corvette as you're going to get!

By the way, I was just looking at the web site. GM is offering 3K back on purchase price. So Now it's a 36 grand car. That's 20 grand cheaper than a 6 cylinder 5 series. How is this not a slam dunk? Did I mention it handled like a BMW?

Really blown away with what GM did here. Probably going to buy soon.
Alec
Wow. Maturity and intelligence on a BMW board. I'm blown away!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #80
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]

next
      04-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #81
Kenix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
6th gear in the LS cars are really out there. Easy to get close to 30 mph on a road trip. About par with a 335.
That must have been a long roadtrip
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #82
broker88
Private
Rep
Drives: TTC my ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan335 View Post
Haven't been in the Pontiac yet, but it is pretty damn good looking and I've always hoped GM would start bringing over more Holdens. I'd say go for it. However you will be supporting terrorism with all the gas you burn up. I am the stereotypical BMW driver who wanted power without huge displacement so I can turn my nose up at V8s, woops I only get 17.2 MPG, there goes that argument. And who cares about gas mileage anyways, if someone gave me a couple hundred grand my first stop would be Barrett-Jackson for a big block Chevy or Dodge that gets 7mpg.
uh don't BMW make V10 hot rods??

I test drove a G8 GT but I'm past the hot rod phase, had several vettes, camaros, etc. Its a nice car but it wont save Pontiac. They should have brought it out 3 years ago.
If someone gave me a couple hundred grand, I'd bank it. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #83
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

thoroughly enjoying the elitism ownage in this thread.

10/10 thread.

would read again.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #84
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
To ChrisV,

Well said! I'll bet any money that the F30 (next gen) M3 will have a larger V-8 than the one in the E90. Funny how BMW ran out of HP for the I6 and had to go to a "small block" V-8 to keep up with Audi and Lexus. Seems to me GM figured that out some time ago, like 1955

Don't get me wrong, I think the N52 is a great motor (N54 with a decent fuel pump is good too). I'm afraid as BMW now has V-8s running M3s, it won't be long until they start using 90 deg V-6's with balancers for the non-M cars. I'll walk from BMW then.
Didn't BMW say that the next one is going to be turbocharged?

Regardless, I agree w/ the running out of power bit... especially since Audi and MB stuffed a V8 in their cars way before them.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #85
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Thats why I didnt get a bmw before last year and probably my last most of the threads are about rattles, ordering, options and dumb things. I was telling my friend yesterday that if the Genesis was out last year I would have maybe gave it a shot. Most bimmers owners are pricks. I was at Canbec(a dealer in montreal) and it was full of guys rocking mohawk haircut with their 400$ shirt 500$ jeans that didnt know their @$$ from their elbow. Hell a guy was buying the whole rack of ///M clothing+licence plate frame but he was driving an older 323I. My next car could be an ///M but Ill go where money can bring a smile on my face when I drive not when I park.(My 1er is a fugly car) I could have gotten an E92 but I didnt care about the bling.....I like to beat more expensive car with my entry level Bmw. I work for my money I dont lease cars so everything that I do is for myself. I will test the new Camaro, 370Z this summer...never know

P.S bmw have no dipstick and have run flats for a reason....The 400$ shirt guys cant change a tire nor a spark plug on a car. At least when I go over to the Parts departement Im always quickly served no one buy parts they just go over to the service departement drop off their cars have no clue whats happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #86
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Think about resale value you better off with BMW rather than G8.
Buy a preowned, problem solved. M5's price is dropping like a brick as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #87
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

there's some serious badge whoring going on in here

you can tell who's into cars and who's into a badge, i would take a g8 gxp, very nice car, having test drove & beat on the G8 GT's they drive really nice, love the power
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #88
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
there's some serious badge whoring going on in here

you can tell who's into cars and who's into a badge, i would take a g8 gxp, very nice car, having test drove & beat on the G8 GT's they drive really nice, love the power
X2 thats why Bmw are becoming very boring cars. I used to work in the car business and people were finding their bimmers too harsh. Gone are the E30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0