M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 911 Carrera... Why S?

01-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #67
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
H7 halogens come standard on the C2 and HID lamps are standard on the C2S.
i think they made hids standard on the C2 starting in 2009 with the facelifted 997
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #68
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
This sort of thing is making me crazy. Buy a nice E39 M5 or suck it up and.....
I sure could use some more liquid right about now.

2001 Porsche Turbo – 5K Miles
$55,000
Polar Silver Metallic
Metropol Blue Interior

Original Owner – All Service records from new.

Won Class D Porsche Concours in Oct. 2008
Gonzo, now you're looking at the right stuff. Low miles, one owner, all records. That's number one. Tasteful mods, and nothing that shouts "I'm not an enthusiast, I'm a poser." This car has sensible performance mods and not "flashy look at me" mods. Price is good. Early 996s sometimes blew their engines, but not the TT or GT motors.

Polar Silver is silver/blue (my 993 is Polar; see my pic on my earlier post; this one looks grayer because of the light. The color gets less blue in shade.) Metropol Blue is a bit harder resale, but it's a darker blue than Midnight Blue.

Ask the owner about the miles (a garage queen obviously, unless the speedo's been switched out.) Records and Carfax will show everything. Ask which dealer it came from and serviced, and get the records faxed to you.

Where is it? You should have someone look at it (go on Rennlist or 6speed and ask if anybody nearby could go take a look; Porsche will owners do this for each other.) If it's for real, then get a full ppi by a local Porsche tech. If everything looks good, then write a check, call up a shipper and have it delivered.

All done and settled. Nice and easy.

p.s., I'm assuming you have a daily driver, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #69
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
i think they made hids standard on the C2 starting in 2009 with the facelifted 997
You could be right on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #70
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Gonzo, now you're looking at the right stuff. Low miles, one owner, all records. That's number one. Tasteful mods, and nothing that shouts "I'm not an enthusiast, I'm a poser." This car has sensible performance mods and not "flashy look at me" mods. Price is good. Early 996s sometimes blew their engines, but not the TT or GT motors.

Polar Silver is silver/blue (my 993 is Polar; see my pic on my earlier post; this one looks grayer because of the light. The color gets less blue in shade.) Metropol Blue is a bit harder resale, but it's a darker blue than Midnight Blue.

Ask the owner about the miles (a garage queen obviously, unless the speedo's been switched out.) Records and Carfax will show everything. Ask which dealer it came from and serviced, and get the records faxed to you.

Where is it? You should have someone look at it (go on Rennlist or 6speed and ask if anybody nearby could go take a look; Porsche will owners do this for each other.) If it's for real, then get a full ppi by a local Porsche tech. If everything looks good, then write a check, call up a shipper and have it delivered.

All done and settled. Nice and easy.

p.s., I'm assuming you have a daily driver, right?
The car is in Atlanta. The guy seems to get cars and sit on them. He mentions lifts and one pic is at a storage looking area. Also mentioned is only his track cars go on the track.

Back to work.....
      01-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #71
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Somebody on Rennlist just looked at a car (not this one) for somebody in Atlanta. Get somebody to go look at it. If all checks out do the ppi. It's a decent price and you can offer less.....

I think Polar is your color.

Read this, I think it will be really helpful for you: http://www.heumann.com/comparo/index.html

Anyway, good luck with your decisions.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #72
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ I will read that later. Thanks.

I usually have no problem negotiating but to offer less for that car might be insulting. Maaaaybe ask for free shipping. If it is gone before I make up my mind it's gone. I don't get emotionally attached to cars anymore. At first, yes. Then it wears off just like the other 20 or so.
      01-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #73
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

stickypaws have you ever seen one of these?

06 C4S.
Factory paint.
Attached Images

01-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #74
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

06 C4S.
Factory paint.
Looks like somebody ordered Viper Green from the factory and added GT3 RS cosmetics. Or painted it. Not a real one obviously. Looks kinda silly, imho. Esp. with the standard stock wheels painted black. Poser.

I dunno. Why? You gonna buy it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #75
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No lime sno cone for me thank you. I have enough trouble dodging the law than to ride around in a bulletin board. sez the lime colored fella.

The ad said it was all done in Germany at the factory. Just thought you would get a kick.

Me....silver/black/white. Some cars are OK in red.
      01-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #76
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:

06 C4S.
Factory paint.
Looks better when the ground effects are painted matte black.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #77
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Thanks. I enjoy these cars (obviously ) And the 993s have lasted 11-14 years so far

The cars were approximately 85% hand built. There weren't that many produced globally (compared to other cars of the time.) Collectors insurance means that you prove you have another car as your daily, a secure garage, and low annual miles. Rates are very good since you are not driving the car to the store, etc., everyday. You can add mods to the value, too (value is agreed upon at the beginning.)

The SAI (secondary air injection) was required after 1995 because of having to go to OBDII for emission laws. The DME/ECU for the SAI monitors whether it's functioning correctly. Because of carbon build up (or 'coking') it will trigger a fault. That carbon build up comes from burnt oil residue. That residue comes usually from wearing or worn valve guides. A head rebuild is inevitable to completely remedy that issue.

The engines are fuel injected (no "carburetor issues"), the DME meters the fuel. Fuel pump relay DMEs can malfunction so most owners carry a spare in the glove box (a $25 part that takes 10 minutes to pop into the ECU panel.) Varioram air induction began with the 1996 model onward. Very early 911s had carburetors and they did have performance issues that Solex never could seem to resolve (they later went to using Webers.)

Most all of these issues are design/component related because of the OBDII regulations. Also noise regulations. The air cooled system eventually didn't comply with newer noise regulations. It's amazing what designers and engineers have to go through over time to adopt to newer and stricter regulations throughout the world. And safety compliance too. A lot of ideal performance design has to be compromised. Unless you completely redesign the car, which most manufacturers do instead.

There's no reason to "swap" engines if you need new valve guides. These are very strong engines. Just bite the bullet and do a head job with newer guide material. Or, if the CEL and coking doesn't bother you or affect you then just keep on driving (we have strict emissions testing here in California.)

Putting a 996/997 motor in this car is not possible nor desirable. Four valves per cylinder type motors require cooling that you can't do with air. You need a full liquid cooling system. Piping, radiator, etc.. There's no point. And you've turned a last of the breed into a strange oddity.

Mods are relatively conservative with these cars. Unless you are doing serious racing. A lot of the value of these cars lies in keeping them close to factory specs. Chassis tuning and exhaust is about it. Exhaust isn't about adding hp, but getting the sound that the designers had originally intended. The 993 factory exhaust sound was tamed down for noise regulation. There was a Motor Sound Package Option 159 available. And there was also a Reduced Sound Option. Many owners get aftermarket exhaust systems to bring out the true sound of the motor. But these aren't ricer cars and so we're not talking loud fart can kind of stuff.

These cars are more about a period of sports car ownership, engineering and build quality that kinda goes back to old school days of motor racing.
Most people would rather get a modern car with 400 hp and a mfg warranty. That's understandable, for sure. I guess you have to have a certain kind of desire to want to live with a car like this. I don't really know what that is, but I can tell you that the 993 is very fun and satisfying to drive.

I've said enough If you are ever considering one, you won't regret it.
Thanks for replying 'Porsche Guru'.

Anyway, I'm sorry for thinking that it was a carburetor issue. You made it clear. And you just garbaged my engine swap idea

And I cant afford a car similar to yours because I still live in an apartment and finding a safe parking in my city is really hard to follow. And then there is a issue of finding a good garage to get it serviced or looked
Anyway, I hope to get it soon.