M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Where do you keep your phone?

05-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
A funny update as I just made a run to the grocery store to pick up supplies for the week including a 1.75 liter bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin given the wife and I have a happy hour of a couple Gin and Tonics to wind down our COVID-19 daily boredom. I've posted in other threads that some of my neighborhood streets use "turning circles" vs speed bumps for traffic control. As I've grown more accustom to the M850i, I'm going through them at greater speed but still cautious. However, I was pushing it today during the drive home from the grocery store up until I heard a "thunk". My initial thought was "there goes the phone" as in my newly mounted solution somehow F'd up. Nope it was just the bottle of gin in the passenger seat foot well rolling around and hitting the door panel.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #24
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Lucky man. If the gin bottle had smashed then I guess you would have a new drink - the 850 gin cocktail!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Thank you! The mount did arrive so I'll give it a go tomorrow. LOL on the clean to the naked eye as mine does the same but when I took a pic of the Autohold button last night to post on that thread... WOW dusty.
Need some pics... you may have improved on my recipe, man, so share the love.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Need some pics... you may have improved on my recipe, man, so share the love.
Nope just following the recipe. I did discover in my drive to Home Depot today that the phone will shift if I place it to high (freeing up more of the AC vent). So the photo is basically dead center on the mount. However, like I stated with the rectangular plate I can move it up some but just had it to high on the drive today.

Thankfully, with the design of the case I didn't have to affix the plate to it so tomorrow's experiment will be to move it down from dead center and see how it holds the phone completely non-obstructing the AC vent. Right now the vent fully functions, i.e., the control to move up/down and left/right is not impacted but I'm pretty sure if I move the plate lower in the case it will hold the Pixel 3XL solidly and completely out of the way of the vent.

Lastly the Bimmerpost bug of reorienting photos has struck again but at least they are not upside down.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 05-31-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-31-2020, 09:26 PM   #27
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
As expected, lowering the rectangular magnetic plate in the case from dead center to basically 1/3rd the way up from the bottom allows for complete isolation from the right AC vent. The photo is with the magnetic plate near dead center on the mount. Past experience is I can even move the phone up from there at least a 1/2 inch and still a solid mount.

Lastly WTF Bimmerpost with the reorientation of pictures? The shot from my work iPhone is purely portrait and displays in Apple's Photos in perfect representation. Granted unlike BMW's absolute ignorance in software competency that is a show stopper it would be nice if you guys figured out the picture aspect reorientation issue. Big love to the mods as this forum is life blood for all of us to share our experiences.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:10 PM   #28
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Ive adopted a similar solution, but on the opposite side of the idrive, with an iClip mount. I'll post a misoriented photo of it tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #29
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

That's awesome. I might have to look into getting a similar mount. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #30
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
That's awesome. I might have to look into getting a similar mount. Thanks.
Here you go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1