M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Best time to buy M8?

02-04-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
m3m4tho
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 540i

Best time to buy M8?

Hi everyone, looking to get in a M8 competition convertible this month or March. Will the residual change or stay the same? What kind of discount off MSRP and MF should I ask for? Any dealer/broker recommendations is greatly appreciated. I live in Socal and had a terrible experience at BMW of Ontario.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
You should be able to get a good deal if you can find one that you like at a dealership. There are a lot of convertibles out there but not as many competition models. Your best bet is to try to get one out of a Northern/Northeastern dealer since it's hard to sell convertibles when it is cold and snowy.

If you want to order one, you may not be able to get one until the end of the summer depending on what colors and options you want. There are not many M8 convertible production slots left in this model year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

look for one on the lot. Unfortunately it seems most of them are non competition models and I suspect the softer suspension is a better setup for the convertible. My guess is the stiffer suspension will make the car twitchy and emphasize cowl shake. Advice is to drive both first. There are plenty of convertibles out there and a good assortment of comp and noncomp coupes to compare to.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Whatever you do, make sure the dealership you buy from is not undergoing major construction, as this may lead to all kinds of collateral damage.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I bought my m850i convertible mid summer. I got what I thought was a good deal by just shopping dealerships.

I don't know the m8 or m8 comp market; however, I'd aim for 10% under invoice.

I got my fully loaded 2019 m850i for 17% under invoice, 28% under MSRP. but it was off the lot, not special order.

I didn't lease, I paid full cash. but I bet you can lease for same price January as March. I've followed the lease rates posted on here and it seems that it's about the same in the 7 months that I've owned my ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:52 PM   #6
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Rule of thumb is buy cars end of month, quarter end or year end. Dealers will try to hit goals and lose money to make money

There was some amazing deals on the 850 late last year. The sales were poor and they really needed to unload The remaining 2019. BMW has provided a large amount of trunk money( extra incentives)

You figure the more 8 series on the road the more interest the new chassis will generate. I have seen 1 m850 on the road so far. No m8’s but when I saw the 850 I did get excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I bought my m850i convertible mid summer. I got what I thought was a good deal by just shopping dealerships.

I don't know the m8 or m8 comp market; however, I'd aim for 10% under invoice.

I got my fully loaded 2019 m850i for 17% under invoice, 28% under MSRP. but it was off the lot, not special order.

I didn't lease, I paid full cash. but I bet you can lease for same price January as March. I've followed the lease rates posted on here and it seems that it's about the same in the 7 months that I've owned my ride.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m4tho View Post
Hi everyone, looking to get in a M8 competition convertible this month or March. Will the residual change or stay the same? What kind of discount off MSRP and MF should I ask for? Any dealer/broker recommendations is greatly appreciated. I live in Socal and had a terrible experience at BMW of Ontario.
So far the residual, MF and incentives has not changed since December. My bet is they will hold through March as well given the large inventory on the ground at the dealerships.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-05-2020 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m4tho View Post
So far the residual, MF and incentives has not change since December. My bet is they will hold through March as well given the large inventory on the ground at the dealerships.
I'd wager lease rates and all that stay the same until the 2021 models start coming.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I'd wager lease rates and all that stay the same until the 2021 models start coming.
Totally agree and was going to forecast that as well but was just answering the OP's question regarding this month or March.
Appreciate 1