M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Chris Bangle Reemerges to Critique Banality in Current Car Design

09-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #89
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Great find! That sounds exactly like what Bangle was hinting at. Very interresting mix, can't wait to see what they are cooking up together with Dyson's innovative engineering and Bangle's brave and forward looking designs but a car named Dyson...yikes
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #90
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
haha... so did I. Saw this and it checked all the boxes to line up with what Bangle has been saying. And Dyson is certainly a company familiar with electric motors and embracing radical design: https://jalopnik.com/james-dyson-rev...ild-1818807507
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #91
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
And Dyson is certainly a company familiar with electric motors and embracing radical design: https://jalopnik.com/james-dyson-rev...ild-1818807507
They'll still need to team up with an existing manufacturer as no 'non automotive' company can develop a car on its own. I'm not talking about the electric propulsion, but the rest of the car. Like suspension, body design, heater design, steering design etc etc etc.

Thats why Tesla needed to team up with mercedes in the past. Mercedes showed them how to make a car, and how to make a factory that builds cars.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #92
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
And Dyson is certainly a company familiar with electric motors and embracing radical design: https://jalopnik.com/james-dyson-rev...ild-1818807507
They'll still need to team up with an existing manufacturer as no 'non automotive' company can develop a car on its own. I'm not talking about the electric propulsion, but the rest of the car. Like suspension, body design, heater design, steering design etc etc etc.

Thats why Tesla needed to team up with mercedes in the past. Mercedes showed them how to make a car, and how to make a factory that builds cars.
And Tesla just sort of stumbled into NUMMI.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #93
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

Correct but with Dyson committing $2.7B to the project something tells me finding a partner to collaborate with on a platform won't be that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #94
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
And Tesla just sort of stumbled into NUMMI.
^no, but buying an old factory doesnt mean it can suddenly produce a different car as tooling is highly model specific.
Only robotized equipment can sometimes be used again if its not too dedicated. Painting robots and such. But specific tooling like jigs to assemble etc not.

Point is that Tesla partnered up ('strategic partnerships') with established carmakers to get knowledge / expertise to make a car. And those carmakers were mercedes and later(?) toyota. (tesla already teamed up with Mercedes in 2007, so quite some time ago)

The decision to buy an old factory is a strategic one. For one all the permits for the develoment/destination plannings are virtually done, and an old factory usually has supply industry and potential workers in the vicinity.

These are all hurdles that dyson still has to make (although the UK is full of defunct car factories, but probably too old and already taken down )

Quote:
Correct but with Dyson committing $2.7B to the project something tells me finding a partner to collaborate with on a platform won't be that difficult.
I have no idea. I wouldnt know what the development of a platform costs.
That link in bloomberg quotes dyson saying : "Tesla has $5 billion, I don’t have that kind of money," , so they say themselves are a long way from the the financial power of tesla, and that is the only example nowadays for (succesfully) making an electric car from scratch. (and even they had to team up with mercedes/toyota to get things done)
I didnt get the impression that dyson wants to share a platform with another manufacturer and become some sort of rebrander.

But maybe they can do it twice as cheap as tesla. The true pioneering has been done nowadays, so thats something they can skip.
On the other hand they're not the first anymore, so they're missing that early adaptor crowd, and early adaptor investors.
Those investors might as well buy mercedes/bmw/renault/toyota/mitsubishi/etc stock as everyone now is heavy into developping full electrical platforms.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-26-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00