M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Conflicted: M850i xDr. Coupe vs. M8 Competition xDr. Coupe

10-30-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
G80F90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i xDr. Sedan

Garage List
Conflicted: M850i xDr. Coupe vs. M8 Competition xDr. Coupe

Hi everyone. I am looking to get a new car relatively soon, I am just conflicted on some options right now and would like to get some insight, if possible.

I have a 2023 M550i xDr. sedan (photo attached) and quite honestly, this car has been phenomenal in all aspects; the speed, reliability, comfort, and space is extraordinary - it is far more nimble with the Dynamic Handling Package than what I had anticipated. Gas is slightly more than I would have wanted, but that is the price we pay for high-performance German engineering. I was initially looking at an M5 Competition, but settled for this since allocations were running short. Needless to say, this is more than enough on a daily basis.

Now, with all things considered, it would not hurt to have a little more “punch” when needed. The main thing that I noticed on this is that the steering is just not as “sharp” as I would have liked for it to be. I would not say that it is numb, but just not where I expected it to be for a car of this caliber. As I mentioned, this is a great, comfortable sedan. However, I am finding that I no longer need four doors, resulting in my search for the 8-series. I took a look at the M4 Comp. xDr. coupe. It was fast and nimble, but I just cannot get around to that vehicle. I would like my vehicle to have a nice touch of luxury (and I believe that the 8-series does that very well). I test-drove the 840i xDr. coupe (obviously it was underwhelming for the power-to-weight ratio). I am conflicted between an M850i xDr. coupe or an M8 Competition xDr. coupe.

A few things to consider, I average about 20k miles annually, and I honestly do not have an issue maintaining my vehicles. If the vehicle depreciates (which it will), I would suppose that I would be ok with it since I would like to keep and hold this next vehicle. I will take that hit, but my question is - would I be wrong to go for a vehicle with the same engine (on a heavier chassis - M850i xDr. coupe), or should I get the M8 Competition coupe? Has anyone noticed a significant difference between the two? Also, if anyone has went from an M550i xDr. sedan to an M850i xDr. or M8 Competition xDr. coupe, what are some things that you like, or dislike, in comparison?

I know that the allocations are out there, and I understand that it takes some time for delivery. I just want some guidance. Also, I have a very heavy foot - I just want to make sure I am making the right decision for a vehicle that I will spend A LOT of time with.

Thank you so much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Gus06
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Comp

i owned a 2018 M550 before getting my M8 comp gran coupe
and drove the m5 comp, m850 and m8 comp all extensively before i made the decision

what i would say is the M850 is a big improvement on the M550
the m850 make all the right noises and performance isnt an issue for daily use

M8 is alot more stiffer and can be uncomfortable on some drives
850 doesnt have that issue and has rear wheel steering so back wheels arent skipping like the m8 on some turns

my vote would go to the M850
best daily for a bmw as long as your not going fast all the time like over 200KPH

if you do plan on driving 200 kph+ buy the M8 as the suspension is made for that
Appreciate 6
snowbimmer5324.50
G80F901.50
ed41381.00
Accentu8705.00
ElloM816.50
      10-30-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Can’t go wrong with the M850. Awesome vehicle. If money is no object, get the M8 but if resale is so poor on the 8 series, should be easy for you to find and negotiate a great deal on a used 850. Yeah, the M8 has more power but the 850 is no slouch. If you want a more nimble car, change the stock wheels to a lighter wheel and know your roads and the nasty potholes, if any.

People underestimate how a light set of wheels change the handling characteristics. BMW contract out their wheel manufacturers to make a heavy durable wheel to stand up to everyday roads, but at the expense of handling in an already heavy, V8-laden car. The stock rear is 34 pounds if I recall correctly. Light wheel is 20-22 pounds. Night and day difference.

Good luck in your purchase and come back to tell us what you decided to do.
Appreciate 1
G80F901.50
      10-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

the M850 is amazing, my last ride was a 7-series and prior to that I had several 5s (all with V8). The one thing I can tell you, is I don't miss any of the other cars :-) My M850GC is such an enjoyment and fun car to drive. If you go with the M850, you will not regretted! I know the M8 guys will kill me for making this comment :-) BUT, the M850 sounds way better than the M8C...

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80F90 View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking to get a new car relatively soon, I am just conflicted on some options right now and would like to get some insight, if possible.

I have a 2023 M550i xDr. sedan (photo attached) and quite honestly, this car has been phenomenal in all aspects; the speed, reliability, comfort, and space is extraordinary - it is far more nimble with the Dynamic Handling Package than what I had anticipated. Gas is slightly more than I would have wanted, but that is the price we pay for high-performance German engineering. I was initially looking at an M5 Competition, but settled for this since allocations were running short. Needless to say, this is more than enough on a daily basis.

Now, with all things considered, it would not hurt to have a little more “punch” when needed. The main thing that I noticed on this is that the steering is just not as “sharp” as I would have liked for it to be. I would not say that it is numb, but just not where I expected it to be for a car of this caliber. As I mentioned, this is a great, comfortable sedan. However, I am finding that I no longer need four doors, resulting in my search for the 8-series. I took a look at the M4 Comp. xDr. coupe. It was fast and nimble, but I just cannot get around to that vehicle. I would like my vehicle to have a nice touch of luxury (and I believe that the 8-series does that very well). I test-drove the 840i xDr. coupe (obviously it was underwhelming for the power-to-weight ratio). I am conflicted between an M850i xDr. coupe or an M8 Competition xDr. coupe.

A few things to consider, I average about 20k miles annually, and I honestly do not have an issue maintaining my vehicles. If the vehicle depreciates (which it will), I would suppose that I would be ok with it since I would like to keep and hold this next vehicle. I will take that hit, but my question is - would I be wrong to go for a vehicle with the same engine (on a heavier chassis - M850i xDr. coupe), or should I get the M8 Competition coupe? Has anyone noticed a significant difference between the two? Also, if anyone has went from an M550i xDr. sedan to an M850i xDr. or M8 Competition xDr. coupe, what are some things that you like, or dislike, in comparison?

I know that the allocations are out there, and I understand that it takes some time for delivery. I just want some guidance. Also, I have a very heavy foot - I just want to make sure I am making the right decision for a vehicle that I will spend A LOT of time with.

Thank you so much.
Appreciate 1
G80F901.50
      10-30-2023, 07:36 PM   #5
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

2018 M550 -> 2021 M5 Competition -> 2024 M8 Competition Coupe here.

All daily drivers, M8 only 1500 mi so far.

M5 was a better overall car than the M550, way more power and capability than anyone needs in a daily but there is a confidence and feel that comes with that, which is hard to describe.

Going from sedan to coupe has lost some practicality and usefulness. M8 feels quicker than the M5 even though it’s probably not in a meaningful way.

M550 and M850 are likely far more practical cars, and more than enough for a high mileage daily, but the M5 and M8 are great daily car, feel great to drive and are capable of everything.
Appreciate 1
G80F901.50
      10-31-2023, 03:02 AM   #6
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus06 View Post
i owned a 2018 M550 before getting my M8 comp gran coupe
and drove the m5 comp, m850 and m8 comp all extensively before i made the decision

what i would say is the M850 is a big improvement on the M550
the m850 make all the right noises and performance isnt an issue for daily use

M8 is alot more stiffer and can be uncomfortable on some drives
850 doesnt have that issue and has rear wheel steering so back wheels arent skipping like the m8 on some turns

my vote would go to the M850
best daily for a bmw as long as your not going fast all the time like over 200KPH

if you do plan on driving 200 kph+ buy the M8 as the suspension is made for that
You definitely bring up a good point regarding the top speed; I typically do find myself reaching the limiter of the M550i xDr. sedan rather quickly. Just for reference, I got All-Season RFTs and is limited at 132 MPH. Quite honestly, I would rather bare the stiffer suspension and be more connected to the road. I wouldn’t be missing out on comfort entirely from the sound of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:05 AM   #7
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Can’t go wrong with the M850. Awesome vehicle. If money is no object, get the M8 but if resale is so poor on the 8 series, should be easy for you to find and negotiate a great deal on a used 850. Yeah, the M8 has more power but the 850 is no slouch. If you want a more nimble car, change the stock wheels to a lighter wheel and know your roads and the nasty potholes, if any.

People underestimate how a light set of wheels change the handling characteristics. BMW contract out their wheel manufacturers to make a heavy durable wheel to stand up to everyday roads, but at the expense of handling in an already heavy, V8-laden car. The stock rear is 34 pounds if I recall correctly. Light wheel is 20-22 pounds. Night and day difference.

Good luck in your purchase and come back to tell us what you decided to do.
I definitely appreciate the information. I was told that the first thing to do on a vehicle of this caliber is to swap out the rims. I didn’t really understand why, but you have definitely clarified it. It seems like a marginal difference, but a drastic one at that.

Would you personally go for the M8 Comp. Coupe or modify an M850i xDr. coupe with the rims?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:07 AM   #8
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
the M850 is amazing, my last ride was a 7-series and prior to that I had several 5s (all with V8). The one thing I can tell you, is I don't miss any of the other cars :-) My M850GC is such an enjoyment and fun car to drive. If you go with the M850, you will not regretted! I know the M8 guys will kill me for making this comment :-) BUT, the M850 sounds way better than the M8C...

Good Luck!
Thank you! I have actually heard both of the exhausts in person. I personally like the M8’s exhaust more; it has a sharper higher-end. However, I can understand the M850i xDr. Coupe’s being more aggressive in comparison. The deeper exhaust note is definitely music to the ears!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 03:11 AM   #9
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
2018 M550 -> 2021 M5 Competition -> 2024 M8 Competition Coupe here.

All daily drivers, M8 only 1500 mi so far.

M5 was a better overall car than the M550, way more power and capability than anyone needs in a daily but there is a confidence and feel that comes with that, which is hard to describe.

Going from sedan to coupe has lost some practicality and usefulness. M8 feels quicker than the M5 even though it’s probably not in a meaningful way.

M550 and M850 are likely far more practical cars, and more than enough for a high mileage daily, but the M5 and M8 are great daily car, feel great to drive and are capable of everything.
That’s my main point. I know that you can daily either of these vehicles (which doesn’t make this any easier for me) haha. Realistically, I know the performance and potential of the M550i xDr. sedan already. Would you say that the extra “punch” and sharpness would be in the M850i xDr. coupe or the M8 Competition xDr. Coupe? Is there a great difference justifying the gap in pricing?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:11 AM   #10
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I definitely appreciate the information. I was told that the first thing to do on a vehicle of this caliber is to swap out the rims. I didn’t really understand why, but you have definitely clarified it. It seems like a marginal difference, but a drastic one at that.

Would you personally go for the M8 Comp. Coupe or modify an M850i xDr. coupe with the rims?
I’d purchase a used M850 pre mid 2020 so I could do a proper tune then mod the shit out of it
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 03:09 PM   #11
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
I’d purchase a used M850 pre mid 2020 so I could do a proper tune then mod the shit out of it
It does not guarantee the ecu isn’t locked… if the owner installed the latest updates then very likely it’s locked
Appreciate 1
Tenac4595.00
      10-31-2023, 03:56 PM   #12
golfdds
Rep
Drives: M850i

I just got a M850i coupe coming from MB E63S AMG...this car has plenty of power and the ride is perfect for me. Definitely smoother than the M8 I tested. Also, will save you a few bucks in case you want to mod the car if you wanted.
Appreciate 2
G80F901.50
Accentu8705.00
      10-31-2023, 04:01 PM   #13
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdds View Post
I just got a M850i coupe coming from MB E63S AMG...this car has plenty of power and the ride is perfect for me. Definitely smoother than the M8 I tested. Also, will save you a few bucks in case you want to mod the car if you wanted.
That is definitely a big statement. I know how fast the E63S AMG is. A lot of people are saying to go for the M850i xDr. coupe…maybe it’s a good thing. Like you pointed out, if it’s more than enough for a daily (which the M550i xDr. sedan that I have is), then an M850i xDr. coupe having the same motor should suffice. “It’s no slouch” as someone else mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:24 PM   #14
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justao View Post
It does not guarantee the ecu isn’t locked… if the owner installed the latest updates then very likely it’s locked
What he said✌️
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 06:08 PM   #15
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s my main point. I know that you can daily either of these vehicles (which doesn’t make this any easier for me) haha. Realistically, I know the performance and potential of the M550i xDr. sedan already. Would you say that the extra “punch” and sharpness would be in the M850i xDr. coupe or the M8 Competition xDr. Coupe? Is there a great difference justifying the gap in pricing?
I’ve never driven an 850 so I’m not qualified to say. I can say that the overall experience difference between the M550 and M5 justified the price difference between the two For Me. YMMV. I never even considered the 850 after my M5 experience. That said, I got such a smoking deal on my M8 that an M850 didn’t make sense, but I never really considered it. I was gonna buy my M5 off lease before I snagged the M8
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 05:05 AM   #16
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
I’ve never driven an 850 so I’m not qualified to say. I can say that the overall experience difference between the M550 and M5 justified the price difference between the two For Me. YMMV. I never even considered the 850 after my M5 experience. That said, I got such a smoking deal on my M8 that an M850 didn’t make sense, but I never really considered it. I was gonna buy my M5 off lease before I snagged the M8
As far as reliability goes, have you encountered anything worth mentioning or is it relatively similar with the M8? I heard that it had a reliable S63 motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #17
golfdds
Rep
Drives: M850i

Quote:
That is definitely a big statement. I know how fast the E63S AMG is. A lot of people are saying to go for the M850i xDr. coupe…maybe it’s a good thing. Like you pointed out, if it’s more than enough for a daily (which the M550i xDr. sedan that I have is), then an M850i xDr. coupe having the same motor should suffice. “It’s no slouch” as someone else mentioned.
I'm not one to track cars, but do use them for daily and have never modded them either. Plenty of power, luxury and fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
Accentu8705.00
      11-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #18
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As far as reliability goes, have you encountered anything worth mentioning or is it relatively similar with the M8? I heard that it had a reliable S63 motor.
Haven’t had them long enough to judge. I put about 25k on the M5 and only 1500 so far on the M8. No problems with either one at all, but that’s not enough to say reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #19
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
Wanted an 850i, BMW gave me a better deal on an M8 Comp. Never looked back.

M8 looks better, drives better for me and has negated any needs for mods. I know its a personal preference but as an example if you want a ferrari buy a.ferrari don't buy another car and mod it to compete with a ferrari. Its more of a headache than its worth and there are some nuances in a car you just can't mod. In saying that I can respect that others love the headache.
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5324.50
m3_08612.00
      11-02-2023, 11:47 AM   #20
G80F90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito_UK View Post
Wanted an 850i, BMW gave me a better deal on an M8 Comp. Never looked back.

M8 looks better, drives better for me and has negated any needs for mods. I know its a personal preference but as an example if you want a ferrari buy a.ferrari don't buy another car and mod it to compete with a ferrari. Its more of a headache than its worth and there are some nuances in a car you just can't mod.
Wow. How long have you had it and any issues with reliability? My main concern is the mileage that I drive. It averages about 20k miles annually. If I keep it, I should be ok regardless because I’ll maintain it. Is there a major difference in the aspect of maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 11:55 AM   #21
Carlito_UK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Garage List
8 months now. To be fair if you're doing 20k a year maybe you should compare the maintainence costs especially after the warranty expires. I don't do much mileage but absolutely love driving it regardless of distance. Mine is on 1500 odd miles since I got it in March.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 02:52 PM   #22
LDUBFIREGOLFER
Registered
Rep
Drives: Kia stinger gt2

Quote:

Thank you so much.
What did you end up doing?
Appreciate 0