M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Top 10 ? Hmmmm

02-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #45
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I'm definitely not accusing you of being an EV hugger. But I do think that speed matters more to you, and that's totally cool.

I want a car to be fast, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just value other attributes a lot more. It's like a fine wine: a blend of ingredients, flavors, smells makes for a better experience.

For example, with the Plaid I can't stand how it looks. It doesn't look special. I already am turned off about that. The lack of sound--already discussed--a HUGE problem for me. I've heard that the OEM brakes aren't up to the task, that's another problem. Also, I always prefer convertibles because I like the wind and I like to hear my engine exhaust. So I don't see the Plaid being the weekend fun car for me, that's all.
I never took it as an accusation so we are all good and I get all the valid points you make. As an owner while my opinions are just that, my ownership is factual so thats got some skin in the game. Speed is not an end game for me, look what I got! My fave car arguably is under 500 hp. The GTS chassis dynamics with the steering and road feel clearly make it a brilliant all rounder. It drives better than the M8 and endures the road undulations exceptionally well. The G8X is my best M driver, not the fastest but the best in regards to compression, rebound and grip along with a better steering rack than the M8. Its not faster so the speed thing is again not an absolute for me personally.

I think the Plaid needed some work optically but it is the wide body Model S and its easy to tell on the road. Of course I had to lower mine, change the wheels, and tint it. Whats ironic is many people who see it parked still dont know its a Tesla from a far. They ask, I inform.

The brakes are what I call a physics course in common sense. They are brembos and are fine to stop a normal 600 hp car but when you add 400 more and 1000 tq along with about a 4800lb curb weight they can be challenging but frankly not on the streets but on the track. But who the fuck takes a Plaid on the track; although its Ring time is strong. Common sense dictates here- learn the fucking car and its limits but first learn one's own limits. These idiots that drive the car push it to the brink and never took physics because its common sense that a car that accelerates like that with its heft needs more stopping power. Ive had zero issues with brakes-- no heat up or anything and I drive the shit out of the car.

Im not here to convince anyone, just sharing my thoughts as an owner and one who has actually driven it at length/time.

You can put lipstick on pig sir:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 02-21-2023 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW994.00
      02-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #46
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

The Plaid, in my opinion, is one of those rare cars that will go down in history as having changed the entire automotive industry. Sure, others will improve upon the theme and make a much better car, but it will be the one that everybody looks back at as having started it all. Kind of like Ford's Model T. Very few cars in history have been as ground breaking as the Plaid. It showed the world that EV's aren't boring golf carts, and that that EV technology, at least in regards to absolute acceleration, has no rival in the ICE world.

So for that I will always respect the car, and Elon too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
Vic5519360.50
      02-21-2023, 02:58 PM   #47
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
The Plaid, in my opinion, is one of those rare cars that will go down in history as having changed the entire automotive industry. Sure, others will improve upon the theme and make a much better car, but it will be the one that everybody looks back at as having started it all. Kind of like Ford's Model T. Very few cars in history have been as ground breaking as the Plaid. It showed the world that EV's aren't boring golf carts, and that that EV technology, at least in regards to absolute acceleration, has no rival in the ICE world.

So for that I will always respect the car, and Elon too.
I did get lucky, no build issues, no rubber moldings falling off LOL ... alot of that QC was in the cheaper build units.

For long drives I find the seats soft and conforming and the large screen is great for my old ass eyes.

He did miss the price point IMHO as the car is 20k wrong in msrp but oh well- I got mine week 1 back in 2021 of deliveries and will endure the perceived loss cash wise.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 10:43 PM   #48
M8CompSoCal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Competion Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
So Vik you're in the 160k neighborhood. I mean that's much more reasonable but I still think it's a pass for me. I'm my view the M8 I'd take over a SL63 and a M850 I'd take over a SL55. I'm not a fanboy by any means in fact growing up a SL was a sign to me you made it. The lastest generation just doesn't do it for me, neither did the last 3. For me the 8 series is a prettier car. Also I'm not a fan of the new Mercedes technology I know everyone will have there own opinion but I just don't like that big ipad like screen in the middle. I bought my mother a new E class and I just can't get used to it.
The E-class hasn’t moved to the portrait style MBUX 2.0 yet, has it? I thought just the S and C Class and soon the GLC.
Appreciate 0