M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Photos and Input on adding a Stealth PPF Wrap on BSM

10-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
The_Mad_Shifter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 6MT

Photos and Input on adding a Stealth PPF Wrap on BSM

Hello there,

I apologize if this has been covered before and I have seen a few samples in different older threads but can anyone provide input on getting a stealth PPF wrap on a BSM G82 and what it looks like?

Looking for input on looks, maintenance, price, and longevity.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Shifter View Post
Hello there,

I apologize if this has been covered before and I have seen a few samples in different older threads but can anyone provide input on getting a stealth PPF wrap on a BSM G82 and what it looks like?

Looking for input on looks, maintenance, price, and longevity.

Thanks in advance!
This is my XPel Stealth over BSM with XPel ceramic. Personally, ceramic coatings are a must for maintenance. Wash is nothing more than soak, spray, rinse, blow dry, touch up, and done. Price for both was just over $8k. Longevity... don't know yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by m4ml; 10-12-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 5
Gfit2759.50
tom @ eas8311.50
T0RM3NT3835.50
      10-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

So, you have a frozen paint or is that how it looks after the wrap?

I’m thinking you don’t have frozen paint.
BSM = Black Sapphire Metallic?

If so, that’s awesome that you get the best of both worlds. Matte when you want it, metallic when you don’t.

Also, are there any downsides to a wrap?
Does it smell bad (it’s vinyl right?)
Does it ever leave residue when it comes off?
How do you get it off?

Edit: just noticed there are far more than usual interesting cars in the background of these pics. Were you at a car show or something?

Beatles, Porsches, supras lol.
If only the road looked like this everyday.
I’ve never seen a parking lot like that.

Last edited by DO444; 10-12-2022 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
So, you have a frozen paint or is that how it looks after the wrap?

I’m thinking you don’t have frozen paint.
BSM = Black Sapphire Metallic?

If so, that’s awesome that you get the best of both worlds. Matte when you want it, metallic when you don’t.

Also, are there any downsides to a wrap?
Does it smell bad (it’s vinyl right?)
Does it ever leave residue when it comes off?
How do you get it off?

Edit: just noticed there are far more than usual interesting cars in the background of these pics. Were you at a car show or something?

Beatles, Porsches, supras lol.
If only the road looked like this everyday.
I’ve never seen a parking lot like that.
HAHA, yeah, I was at a car show. It's the South OC Cars & Coffee in San Clemente, CA. This was at the end just before I left so most of the cars had already left.

Yes, BSM is Black Sapphire Metallic. There is no noticeable smell, and it's not something that I had even considered LOL. This isn't a "wrap" per se, it's a Paint Protective Film (PPF). Some would argue that there is no difference, but at least to me, the difference is that a wrap changes the color, texture, has graphics, etc., but isn't intended to protect the paint (of course it does to some extent just by being a sacrificial layer). Whereas PPF is designed specifically to protect the paint (and look good) with more protective properties than a vinyl wrap. In the case of XPel Stealth PPF that is on my car, it was designed for frozen paints to keep the matte finish. Let's face it, you don't want to put gloss PFF on a frozen paint, it defeats the entire purpose. But, if you put that same Stealth PPF on a gloss car you get the matte finish without changing the color.

As long as price isn't an issue for you, then in my opinion there isn't really a down side to PPF.

I've never taken it off, so I really can't answer that question for you, nor whether it leaves a residue or not.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #5
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
haha, yeah, i was at a car show. It's the south oc cars & coffee in san clemente, ca. This was at the end just before i left so most of the cars had already left.

Yes, bsm is black sapphire metallic. There is no noticeable smell, and it's not something that i had even considered lol. This isn't a "wrap" per se, it's a paint protective film (ppf). Some would argue that there is no difference, but at least to me, the difference is that a wrap changes the color, texture, has graphics, etc., but isn't intended to protect the paint (of course it does to some extent just by being a sacrificial layer). Whereas ppf is designed specifically to protect the paint (and look good) with more protective properties than a vinyl wrap. In the case of xpel stealth ppf that is on my car, it was designed for frozen paints to keep the matte finish. Let's face it, you don't want to put gloss pff on a frozen paint, it defeats the entire purpose. But, if you put that same stealth ppf on a gloss car you get the matte finish without changing the color.

As long as price isn't an issue for you, then in my opinion there isn't really a down side to ppf.

I've never taken it off, so i really can't answer that question for you, nor whether it leaves a residue or not.

👍🏻👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
The_Mad_Shifter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 6MT

Quote:
This is my XPel Stealth over BSM with XPel ceramic. Personally, ceramic coatings are a must for maintenance. Wash is nothing more than soak, spray, rinse, blow dry, touch up, and done. Price for both was just over $8k. Longevity... don't know yet.
That looks amazing, thanks for sharing!! I am sold!
Appreciate 1
m4ml1898.00
      10-13-2022, 10:29 AM   #7
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

Nice stance. What are you lowered on and what size spacers?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiridin View Post
Nice stance. What are you lowered on and what size spacers?
It's lowered on KW HAS with 12mm front/15mm rear spacers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:34 AM   #9
aug0211
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
m4ml sorry to revive an old thread. Your vehicle looks great!

How did your wrap shop handle the little round sensors around the lower portion of the vehicle (most prevalent in the front, back portions - your last photo shows them off well)? Curious if they did really small fine cuts to wrap those, or if they left them exposed gloss, etc.
Appreciate 1
m4ml1898.00
      01-06-2024, 03:22 PM   #10
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

IMO, stealth wrapping a paint with an amazing metallic flake like BSM detracts from the look of the paint. There's nothing better than BSM glossing and shining in the sun.
      01-06-2024, 11:26 PM   #11
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
m4ml sorry to revive an old thread. Your vehicle looks great!

How did your wrap shop handle the little round sensors around the lower portion of the vehicle (most prevalent in the front, back portions - your last photo shows them off well)? Curious if they did really small fine cuts to wrap those, or if they left them exposed gloss, etc.
I'll confirm for sure and get back to you.
Appreciate 1
aug0211167.50
      01-06-2024, 11:31 PM   #12
m4ml
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
IMO, stealth wrapping a paint with an amazing metallic flake like BSM detracts from the look of the paint. There's nothing better than BSM glossing and shining in the sun.
My F82 was BSM with Ceramic Pro Gold. It was an amazing finish.

With my G82 I decided to go with Stealth PPF for a couple of reasons. First, I still wanted black, but something different, and second, the paint chips in the front end of my F82 drove me crazy.

You can still see the sapphire flake depending on the lighting though. The second photo's gold reflection is actually the sapphire coming through the PPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aug0211167.50