M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Brighter, safer headlights are coming - The question is when

06-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Brighter, safer headlights are coming - The question is when

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...101327444.html

Quite a few forum people think adaptive headlights and maybe even brake lights are a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
After coding adaptive headlights, I never want to go back to not having them. It's a shame that most people have no idea what they're missing in the NHTSA holding this technology up.
Appreciate 2
      06-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
After coding adaptive headlights, I never want to go back to not having them. It's a shame that most people have no idea what they're missing in the NHTSA holding this technology up.
Adaptive headlights have been available for a decade in USA.

You are speaking about the HBA.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

BMW LaserLight technology have existed for a few years now. They're commonly found on the i3, i8 and recently with the G20 platform.

It's hard to explain the difference, because it's one of those things that you need to experience for yourself. I don't wear contacts or prescription glasses, but I imagine the effects would be similar for those who require visual aid to be able to see clearer.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Adaptive headlights have been available for a decade in USA.

You are speaking about the HBA.
Yes, you are correct, the adaptive high beam assist.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
I don't understand how the NHTSA is holding anything up. They are a private organization that does testing for the insurance companies. They don't have the power to mandate anything.
I think the article is misleading. Manufacturers are free to introduce anything that doesn't violate DOT standards. They don't want to introduce because they don't want to get a bad score in the NHTSA test, so they are waiting for the test to be made public so that they can design their systems to beat the test.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
I don't understand how the NHTSA is holding anything up. They are a private organization that does testing for the insurance companies. They don't have the power to mandate anything.
I think the article is misleading. Manufacturers are free to introduce anything that doesn't violate DOT standards. They don't want to introduce because they don't want to get a bad score in the NHTSA test, so they are waiting for the test to be made public so that they can design their systems to beat the test.
From the linked article:

As it stands, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mandates that vehicles have distinct high and low beams, disallowing lights that can dynamically adjust.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/b...beams.amp.html

And from Wiki:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is an agency of the Executive Branch of the U.S. government, part of the Department of Transportation.
Appreciate 3
      06-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I think you are confusing it with the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      06-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
From the linked article:

As it stands, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mandates that vehicles have distinct high and low beams, disallowing lights that can dynamically adjust.

And from Wiki:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is an agency of the Executive Branch of the U.S. government, part of the Department of Transportation.
I stand corrected. I confused NHTSA with IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      06-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
From the linked article:

And from Wiki:
I stand corrected. I confused NHTSA with IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
I had to look it up. I just know our lights are handicapped compared to ROW and that seems stupid.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

does any of this matter when you have a 12 inch lifted duramax comin at you with fog horns and a string on LED lights that can make you enter the twilight zone...

The adaptive lights are amazing once coded in. Should be standard since peopel in the US just leave their high beams on all the time...if questioned...oh I can't see...you should be more considerate
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
The non-Adaptive and halogen are both rated poor - and the Halogen actually looks better in the tests than the non-Adaptive LEDs.
I’d believe that, the standard LED lights in my F20 LCI were total trash, especially compared to the xenons on my E46 M3 (and adaptive xenons on my current E90 M3).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
does any of this matter when you have a 12 inch lifted duramax comin at you with fog horns and a string on LED lights that can make you enter the twilight zone...

The adaptive lights are amazing once coded in. Should be standard since peopel in the US just leave their high beams on all the time...if questioned...oh I can't see...you should be more considerate
*sigh*

Again, Adaptives do not have to be coded anywhere in world. HBA does.

For the record, the Adaptive LEDs from BMW are not even rated Good.....only acceptable on the 3 series platform. The non-Adaptive and halogen are both rated poor - and the Halogen actually looks better in the tests than the non-Adaptive LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'm an old codger. I grew up with round and square glass headlamps. I'll take a quad set of glass Hella headlamps on the E30 running 80/100 Watt H4 and 100W H1 bulbs for the high beam lamps any day of the week over these POS glaze-over plastic $1,500 bullshit HID (or laser) aero lamps in modern cars. Get in a deer hit accident and if the car is 5 years or older it gets totaled.

Once the plastic glazes over, the light output sucks.
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      06-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm an old codger. I grew up with round and square glass headlamps. I'll take a quad set of glass Hella headlamps on the E30 running 80/100 Watt H4 and 100W H1 bulbs for the high beam lamps any day of the week over these POS glaze-over plastic $1,500 bullshit HID (or laser) aero lamps in modern cars. Get in a deer hit accident and if the car is 5 years or older it gets totaled.

Once the plastic glazes over, the light output sucks.
lol im having r3vlimited flashbacks.
      06-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

A lot of it is corporate greed. BMW continues to sell terrible halogen headlights as standard equipment on new cars, only offering xenon and LED as a cost added option.

Other car manufacturers are offering superior lighting as standard equipment.

BMW should step up to the plate.
      06-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Shouldn't have to code though. These headlights come standard with the hardware needed but old regulation red tape blocks the option being activated on US cars. Part of the reason we are constantly adding "euro" options to the car aftermarket. They get better stuff.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
*sigh*

For the record, the Adaptive LEDs from BMW are not even rated Good.....only acceptable on the 3 series platform. The non-Adaptive and halogen are both rated poor - and the Halogen actually looks better in the tests than the non-Adaptive LEDs.
Do you have a link to this report? I'd like to see which cars headlights gets a good rating.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGelbM4 View Post
Quote:
*sigh*

Do you have a link to this report? I'd like to see which cars headlights gets a good rating.
On iihs webpage

IIHS ratings show that visibility provided by headlights varies widely.

The Institute released its first headlight ratings in 2016. Out of more than 80 headlight systems available on the 31 model year 2016 midsize cars that were evaluated, only one system received a good rating.

As of March 2019, 14 percent of headlight systems tested on model year 2019 vehicles received a good rating. More than half were rated marginal or poor because of inadequate visibility, excessive glare from low beams for oncoming drivers, or both.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/57-...-safety-awards
Appreciate 0