M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion HK to B&W With Match DSP

01-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #23
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Thanks bloozemanAZ much appreciated
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 11:03 PM   #24
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Here they are (had to dig them up in Evernote). The key is starting with the bass to go up 6 clicks from flat on the EQ. I dislike how BMW or B&W puts a box around the frequency so this is center mass on that box aka neutral in the frequency range. All the other settings build off of that with each setting clicks up from the bass definition of neutral vs the true flat of the EQ. In other words once the bass is set the red line drawn to the next frequency is flat when the line is completely horizontally flat and then number of clicks up. Worst EQ UI ever.

All calibration was done against the same high res tracks I use for all audio testing: new home audio components, the HK vs B&W, etc. They are selected off of some of the best studio album mixes, e.g., Steely Dan's Aja, Chris Rea's Road to Hell and Yo-Yo Ma's Haydn: Cello Concertos. Once dialed in all genres work like a champ unless just a crappy mix, e.g. Ozzy's Bark at the Moon.

I owned a pair of B&W 801s (paid $35K for the pair and sold on Audiogon for $30K) for a couple of years and the components on the 8 series are sourced from them. So it was relatively easy for me to calibrate with just the factor of the cabin size of my coupe in play. The bass trim setting is for SiriusXM but as stated before if too heavy when on my SSD just press memory #4 and slightly tweak.

The final key being the sound profile set to Concert. When first getting the car and being a purist I thought studio would be the best especially for the 5.1 sources on the SSD. Nope not even close and Studio is also DSP fabricated anyway or otherwise it would cancel out the center channel on the dash which it does not. Lastly to get the sound envelope opened you need at least 40% volume. Hence, when solo I relish in the B&W audio but when the wife's in the car then it's the BMW exhaust. ��
You really need to have us all over to listen to your home set up!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 06:13 AM   #25
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Keeps barfing on the attached pic so trying again.

That failed too. Must be the Bimmerpost bug that sometimes reorients a picture sideways but in this case just barfs (it's a supported JPG).

B&W Audio Settings

Base 6

100 Hz 4

200 Hz 3

500 Hz 2

1 kHz 0

2 kHz 2

5 kHz 3

10 kHz 3

Treble 0

Trim

Treble 0

Bass 6
Are these recommended settings all based on restating 0 as 6 (based on the bass setting) as stated in the prior post? Or are they from true zero on the eq?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokieRiver View Post
Are these recommended settings all based on restating 0 as 6 (based on the bass setting) as stated in the prior post? Or are they from true zero on the eq?

Thanks!
Start with the bass from true flat on the EQ with 6 clicks up. As stated I dislike how the EQ then draws a box around the frequency and then every subsequent frequencies "box" builds off of that and the red line from one to the other becomes the equivalent of flat. So the next frequency is clicks up from when it's box is "flat" with the redline completely flat.

I could have done all the settings from the actual EQ flat but that would have taken more work plus starting with the bass it was easier to just go by the "box" and red line. Hope that helps.

There are older photos of the EQ floating around but I'll take a new one and add it to the thread so you can get an idea of how the boxes and red line looks when done.

Edit... attached latest pic so you can see how the boxes and redline make the settings vs true flat on the EQ. Only true flat on the EQ is treble as you don't need to boost that at all with the diamond tweeters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #27
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Start with the bass from true flat on the EQ with 6 clicks up. As stated I dislike how the EQ then draws a box around the frequency and then every subsequent frequencies "box" builds off of that and the red line from one to the other becomes the equivalent of flat. So the next frequency is clicks up from when it's box is "flat" with the redline completely flat.

I could have done all the settings from the actual EQ flat but that would have taken more work plus starting with the bass it was easier to just go by the "box" and red line. Hope that helps.

There are older photos of the EQ floating around but I'll take a new one and add it to the thread so you can get an idea of how the boxes and red line looks when done.

Awesome - Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:48 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome - Thank you!
Just uploaded the pic in my reply above.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:14 PM   #29
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Just uploaded the pic in my reply above.
Thanks. I’m going to give those settings a try later this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 03:44 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I’m going to give those settings a try later this afternoon.
Looking forward to hearing the results. That EQ, bass trim on +6, treble trims flat and the Concert sound profile and 40% plus volume should end up with a sound panorama in the cabin of pure glory. Only caveat may be if you're in a GC vs a coupe as that may take some tweaking given the cabin size differential. Odds are though it should work amazingly well even for a GC but some tweaking could improve that.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 06:19 AM   #31
SmokieRiver
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 GMC AT4x HD  [0.00]
2023 BMW M8  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking forward to hearing the results. That EQ, bass trim on +6, treble trims flat and the Concert sound profile and 40% plus volume should end up with a sound panorama in the cabin of pure glory. Only caveat may be if you're in a GC vs a coupe as that may take some tweaking given the cabin size differential. Odds are though it should work amazingly well even for a GC but some tweaking could improve that.
Thank you again for the settings. Sounds really good - Better than my prior settings. I think I need to do just a little dialing in for the GC, but this definitely got me 98% of the way there.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #32
sah29
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 Comp GC

Hey man, saw your posts and had a quick question. It would be great if you could help me with this.

I have a 2021 BMW M8 Comp GC with the HK and obviously want to upgrade it. From my research on your posts, and having spoken with several enthusiasts, Bavsound or Bimmertech seem to be the easiest compatible way to go. Unfortunately, no amp with either companies has been released yet for this model. Can you recommend an amp that can work with Bavsound speakers or recommend anyone who can offer a solution? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 03:20 PM   #33
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sah29 View Post
Hey man, saw your posts and had a quick question. It would be great if you could help me with this.

I have a 2021 BMW M8 Comp GC with the HK and obviously want to upgrade it. From my research on your posts, and having spoken with several enthusiasts, Bavsound or Bimmertech seem to be the easiest compatible way to go. Unfortunately, no amp with either companies has been released yet for this model. Can you recommend an amp that can work with Bavsound speakers or recommend anyone who can offer a solution? Thanks!
Although this thread got off into a tangent that was what I ironically intended to share although posted in other threads as well. This thread was to answer in essence a full retrofit of HK including an often question answered, i.e., including the lighted B&W grills.

That said the only amp on the market that supports iD7's OABR network that I'm aware of is the Audiotec Fischer MATCH UP 10DSP. The naming convention dictates DSP as it overrides the car's HK (or B&W but nobody in their right mind would do so) DSP once in place. The confusion may lie in that it is indeed an amp as well and a few fellow forum brethren have deployed it to replace the HK (aka standard RAM booster) with full success.

Audiotec Fischer also makes speaker replacements but nothing for the 8-series. That is where Bavsound or Bimmertech come into play with the goto being the former and a fallback being the latter.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #34
sah29
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 Comp GC

Quote:
Although this thread got off into a tangent that was what I ironically intended to share although posted in other threads as well. This thread was to answer in essence a full retrofit of HK including an often question answered, i.e., including the lighted B&W grills.

That said the only amp on the market that supports iD7's OABR network that I'm aware of is the Audiotec Fischer MATCH UP 10DSP. The naming convention dictates DSP as it overrides the car's HK (or B&W but nobody in their right mind would do so) DSP once in place. The confusion may lie in that it is indeed an amp as well and a few fellow forum brethren have deployed it to replace the HK (aka standard RAM booster) with full success.

Audiotec Fischer also makes speaker replacements but nothing for the 8-series. That is where Bavsound or Bimmertech come into play with the goto being the former and a fallback being the latter.
Sounds great, much appreciated! So to summarize- Bavsound speakers + Bavsound ghost subwoofer + Audiotec Fischer MATCH UP 10DSP (Is thiis as plug and play as the Bavsound revenant and Alpha one?). I'd also definitely want to cover it up with the B&W covers for the aesthetic look as the original discussion was also on about.

Any link on where to purchase the B&W speaker covers would be helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 07:09 AM   #35
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sah29 View Post

Also, if you haven't read this thread, I'd recommend doing so.....

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1935351&page=5
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 07:19 PM   #36
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
Also, if you haven't read this thread, I'd recommend doing so.....

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1935351&page=5
Or the G05 thread I posted that started the thread. I only skimmed it to confirm the MATCH UP 10DSP was a winner given I've recommended it so always keep track of those who deploy it to ensure satisfied.
Appreciate 0