M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Panamera Turbo ST vs M8 Gran Coupe Competition

11-27-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
harrish1985
Rep
Drives: F8 SPDR SF90 SPDR G63 RRATB X7

Panamera Turbo ST vs M8 Gran Coupe Competition

I've had my Panamera Turbo ST since March and it's a great car. Plenty of room, power etc. It's a 2018 with 20k miles and the warranty runs out in April of 2022 which is a bit of concern for me. I have few other cars coming in soon but I've always been drawn to the M8, esp. the Gran Coupe. I guess largely for it's super aggressive look and the fact that it has super car performance levels. I've had many BMWs in the past including (E46 M3 ZCP, 7 series, M760, 6 series and presently have an X7 M50i). I like the infotainment and the tech is great. The tech in the Panamera is great as well. Especially Google maps and the large PCM screens. I can get an amazing deal on a '20 M8 Gran Coupe in a beautiful color but wanted to get feedback from others who may have had experience with both. The draw for me on the M8 is longer warranty period and more power. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

M8GC is king on every level in my book. Style, Speed, performance, versatility.

I just tonight put in an order/ allocation for a Taycan Turbo S and she'll take delivery next April. She fell in love with the lines of the Taycan over the Panamera which is great aswell, but truth be told compared to my M8GC they're both just boring.

Throw a racechips on it and really wakes the beast up.

Last edited by Bimmersandmopars; 11-27-2021 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
moonM8384.00
      11-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
harrish1985
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
M8GC is king on every level in my book. Style, Speed, performance, versatility.

I just tonight put in an order/ allocation for a Taycan Turbo S and she'll take delivery next April. She fell in love with the lines of the Taycan over the Panamera which is great aswell, but truth be told compared to my M8GC they're both just boring.

Throw a racechips on it and really wakes the beast up.
Great feedback! The super car performance levels are really a big draw. Some of the Porsche guys said the handling on the ST is better than the M8GC. They’re both comparable in weight what are your thoughts on that?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
ST gets my vote for the body shape. M8 GC is "just" a sedan to my eye.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      11-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
ST gets my vote for the body shape. M8 GC is "just" a sedan to my eye.
Panamera Turbo Sport tourismo is almost like a sport utility - does not compare to M8GC IMO, sorry but that Bimmer is boring and BMW has failed in the half assed resurrection of the 8 series
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
nathanm4681.00
jjasonSU194.00
      11-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden3301 View Post
Panamera Turbo Sport tourismo is almost like a sport utility - does not compare to M8GC IMO, sorry but that Bimmer is boring and BMW has failed in the half assed resurrection of the 8 series
Lol....

Oh I want to hear the explanation to the so called failure?
Appreciate 1
moonM8384.00
      11-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonySmordek View Post
ST is interesting but I choose M8
only will come from a person who has no clue on how the Porsche compares to the BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol....

Oh I want to hear the explanation to the so called failure?
What kind of explanation do you want? the latest BMW's make me want to throw up including the 8 series
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What kind of explanation do you want? the latest BMW's make me want to throw up including the 8 series
So if you're saying a car that out styles the M5 since it just looks like a normal 5 series, can do 0-60 in 2.9 secs stock while running a 10 sec quarter and can swing the ring in stock street fitment at 7:20... and do all that while being perfectly practical whether for family, business, or leisure or all the above and be called a failure..... then you're correct.

The lines of the 8 series specifically the Gran Coupe truly have the most phenomenal lines for anything in its market segment.
Appreciate 2
moonM8384.00
M8Bimmer1246.50
      11-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
jaiden3301
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So if you're saying a car that out styles the M5 since it just looks like a normal 5 series, can do 0-60 in 2.9 secs stock while running a 10 sec quarter and can swing the ring in stock street fitment at 7:20... and do all that while being perfectly practical whether for family, business, or leisure or all the above and be called a failure..... then you're correct.

The lines of the 8 series specifically the Gran Coupe truly have the most phenomenal lines for anything in its market segment.
Sorry, no one gives them a second look!

Believe me, I have owned and driven more 4 different BMWs, just in the last 8 years (3 of them were M) and I found them nothing special. your performance numbers mean nothing to me for the BMW or the Porsche! My last special car was the E92 M3 and it has been downhill from there.

I dont know who BMW is catering to in this market but I am sure they will find new fan boys as a boat load of enthusiast have signed out
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Believe me, I have owned and driven more 4 different BMWs, just in the last 8 years (3 of them were M) and I found them nothing special. your performance numbers mean nothing to me for the BMW or the Porsche! My last special car was the E92 M3 and it has been downhill from there.

I dont know who BMW is catering to in this market but I am sure they will find new fan boys as a boat load of enthusiast have signed out
So let me understand, you're top BMW was one that was out performed on the ring by the e71 X6M?
Appreciate 2
moonM8384.00
      12-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #12
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
only will come from a person who has no clue on how the Porsche compares to the BMW
Funny, when the M8's sold poorly in 2020, they still sold better than Panamera's...
Porsche dealers here would make almost any deal to get rid of these things. They are good cars but the M8's definitely more of a stand-out.

I think the ST's look nice but not my preference
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #13
harrish1985
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback guys I really appreciate it! The main thing for me was being able to secure a trade in number for my Panamera that was higher than what I paid earlier this year. Separate of that, I wanted a vehicle that had less than 7500 miles and at least a couple years of warranty left. My main must haves were an "exotic color" think Blue, Green, Red and the B&W sound system and carbon exterior package. A few dealers I called around wanted $10k - $15k OVER MSRP on the new '22s and as I'm sure many of you know the '22s don't have touchscreen on some models and some don't have the B&W & wireless charging option. I found an Aventurin Red Gran Coupe with less than 6k miles with a $160k sticker priced nearly $40k below sticker. I'm super pumped for the car to arrive and I do honestly think I'll enjoy it a bit more than the Panamera. I also have a 911 GTS coming in so I'll certainly have the Porsche fill. I will say that the Panamera while being very nice just felt big and the exhaust left a lot to be desired. The PCM with online maps is really nice. I don't know if the PDK on the 911s is different but I will say that on the Panamera it was nice but I wouldn't rave about it like I would on a Ferrari or McLaren.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

My experience having had two of them now differs from your opinion—I get far more than second looks. To each their own, though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
snareman8959.50
Wolfman64811.50
snowbimmer5001.00
DNYC1919478.00
moonM8384.00
M8Bimmer1246.50
      12-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
TAG Prez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC / 2023 Alpina XB7

I've owned both, a 2018 Sport Turismo Turbo that I ordered and thought I would keep forever (it was my 4th panamera) and the least favorite. Something with the tuning, particularly the transmission was off, even in sport mode it would upshift to 5th or 6th gear by 40mph unless you had the pedal down. Also as much as people say they love wagons clearly that is not the case because no one buys them. I took a bath on the sport turismo and now drive an M8 gran coupe - the driving experience is better (I'm not talking about around a track) and the vehicle still feels special. I would argue that other people tend to think of Porsche's as more special then BMW's but I don't care what others think. I don't think you'll regret the switch
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #16
harrish1985
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG Prez View Post
I've owned both, a 2018 Sport Turismo Turbo that I ordered and thought I would keep forever (it was my 4th panamera) and the least favorite. Something with the tuning, particularly the transmission was off, even in sport mode it would upshift to 5th or 6th gear by 40mph unless you had the pedal down. Also as much as people say they love wagons clearly that is not the case because no one buys them. I took a bath on the sport turismo and now drive an M8 gran coupe - the driving experience is better (I'm not talking about around a track) and the vehicle still feels special. I would argue that other people tend to think of Porsche's as more special then BMW's but I don't care what others think. I don't think you'll regret the switch
That's my feedback regarding the transmission too. I don't know how to describe it but the shifts just seem off. I was fortunate that I was able to get more than what I paid for the Sport Turismo but I know the depreciation on the Panamera is steep. The wagon while being unique just feels heavy / bulky almost like it's a cross over.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
M8GC is a rebadged outdated M6GC.

Boring small kidney grille and M8GC's design reminds me of every angle of M6GC.

Even though I like both M8GC and M6GC, 8 series is a lazy job done by BMW.
      12-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #18
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post

So you have one? Why is it the M8GC destroys the 6s performance? Asking for a friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #19
harrish1985
Rep

Quote:

This post is ridiculous. The M6GC is the furthest thing from the M8GC. The looks of the car are your opinion. Now that we are on the topic of opinions, IN MY OPINION, the front end of the Vantage looks like a Mazda. I had the previous gen Vantage and I considered the DB11 or the Vantage instead of the M8 GC but the steep depreciation curve and dated tech and infotainment were a deal breaker. I even considered the DBX for my wife since her lease is coming up next year. We drove one, it drove nice but I couldn't get over the 10 year old plus Mercedes infotainment with no touch screen.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      12-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #20
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrish1985 View Post
Quote:

This post is ridiculous. The M6GC is the furthest thing from the M8GC. The looks of the car are your opinion. Now that we are on the topic of opinions, IN MY OPINION, the front end of the Vantage looks like a Mazda. I had the previous gen Vantage and I considered the DB11 or the Vantage instead of the M8 GC but the steep depreciation curve and dated tech and infotainment were a deal breaker. I even considered the DBX for my wife since her lease is coming up next year. We drove one, it drove nice but I couldn't get over the 10 year old plus Mercedes infotainment with no touch screen.
OP, you can do some research on 6 series and 8 series. If you set aside the new cosmetic designs of 8 series, you will see similarities between the two and that comes with a reason. Not trying to upset you, just sharing my thoughts.

I like 8 series.
      12-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

It's an interesting perspective: did you own either?

I'm not suggesting ownership is necessary in order to form an opinion but it's a factor worth understanding with opinions as objectively negative as yours…

And before we get off track, yes—I disagree with… well, everything you've said I think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
snowbimmer5001.00
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
moonM8384.00
jjasonSU194.00
AJ191.50
      12-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
harrish1985
Rep

The M6 is completely different from the M8. No one needs to own both to know that the differences are beyond obvious.
Appreciate 0