M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Looking for advice M850i or the M8?

08-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Looking for advice M850i or the M8?

Hi All,

I been searching around quiet a bit and curious what others have to say about the thought going through my head....

Went to the dealer test drove the M850i and was impressed to say the least. Went home doing research ran across the M8. Fast forward to today you can order the M8 or Comp version. Here is my pickle!!

Here is what I am after. I have been looking around for a fun sports car to have tune, mod, potentially (rarely) track with. I thought about F-type, 911, and some others but he M8 catches my eye the most. I know there might be another vehicle to put my money on say Austin, Merc, or others so if you believe at that price point something else would blow me away please share. I am new to the higher end sport cars coming from Mustang, Vet and others. (please do not suggest waiting for the C8, I will give that a few years of production before even thinking about buying one).

Disclaimer: I do not care about value of trade, I plan to beat the shit out of it for the fun factor!!! If things break I will fix it, not a show car but a fun car.

Okay so my questions if anyone is willing to help me out here;

I don't see the value in getting the comp version for 17hp, but is there something else I am missing???

Can anyone with first hand experiences tell me if the difference in M850 and M8 is worth it?

Will the aftermarket be good for the M8 or is it already at its max without crazy mods like removing engine and building a new one for more power?

EDIT: Forgot to add the wrench.... Local dealer is offering just shy of 13% off a show room M850i that he says they can tune to the M8 power from a local shop.......... Thoughts on this?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

The main thing with the Comp is about the suspension and other small changes. Here is the copy paste from the press release. In my mind I wanted the Comp Pack on my M6 because I knew the car was a bit heavy and large, anything that could help slightly was a good thing in my mind

Competition models with specific chassis tuning.
The standalone configuration and tuning of selected chassis components
helps the new BMW M8 Competition Coupe and new
BMW M8 Competition Convertible to unleash their dynamic talents with
even greater intensity. The vehicle setup has been carefully adjusted to
the engine’s higher output, generating an exclusive racing-car feel and
producing a driving experience that richly indulges the emotions.
The Competition models’ bespoke modifications translate first and foremost
into superior steering precision, transitional responses and cornering
dynamics. It starts with the extra-stiff engine mounting – resulting from
an increase in the mounts’ spring rate from 580 to 900 N/mm – that benefits
the Competition models’ precision on turn-in. Increased camber at the front
axle, meanwhile, enhances their ability to absorb lateral forces through highspeed
corners. And fitting the toe links with ball joints instead of rubber
mounts has led to even more precise wheel guidance at the rear axle.

I don't think anyone here has driven the M8 yet. However what I will say comparing the M850i to my M6 which is the 600ps 700nm version that from idle to about 5000rpm they felt the same. But above 5000rpm the M850i really did drop off - you can see this in the tech specs of the M850i where the torque starts to drop off at 4600rpm. By 6500rpm torque drops off by 30% in the M850i whereas the M6 has dropped off about 7% at 6500rpm and still pulls hard to 7200rpm.

I suspect that you could replicate this if you went for a drive in an M5, ultimately the F90 M5 is very close to the M8 and feel how it compares near the top of the rev range.

The S63Tu4 that comes in the M5 and M6 has the same forged rods as the new X3M and X4M S58 engine so the rods should be fairly strong - a common problem with my version of the S63Tu is bent rods. Plenty of people are running ~700-750hp and haven't broken any engines yet so perhaps they'll be ok with a whole lot of extra power.

You can easily tune the M850i to 600hp without a problem at all. However the suspension and other chassis differences are huge between a real M and one that isn't. Again you could go for a drive in an M5 and compare it to the M850i and you'll see how much more aggressive the M5 is.
Ozzie8641.00
      08-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
The main thing with the Comp is about the suspension and other small changes. Here is the copy paste from the press release. In my mind I wanted the Comp Pack on my M6 because I knew the car was a bit heavy and large, anything that could help slightly was a good thing in my mind

Competition models with specific chassis tuning.
The standalone configuration and tuning of selected chassis components
helps the new BMW M8 Competition Coupe and new
BMW M8 Competition Convertible to unleash their dynamic talents with
even greater intensity. The vehicle setup has been carefully adjusted to
the engine’s higher output, generating an exclusive racing-car feel and
producing a driving experience that richly indulges the emotions.
The Competition models’ bespoke modifications translate first and foremost
into superior steering precision, transitional responses and cornering
dynamics. It starts with the extra-stiff engine mounting – resulting from
an increase in the mounts’ spring rate from 580 to 900 N/mm – that benefits
the Competition models’ precision on turn-in. Increased camber at the front
axle, meanwhile, enhances their ability to absorb lateral forces through highspeed
corners. And fitting the toe links with ball joints instead of rubber
mounts has led to even more precise wheel guidance at the rear axle.

I don't think anyone here has driven the M8 yet. However what I will say comparing the M850i to my M6 which is the 600ps 700nm version that from idle to about 5000rpm they felt the same. But above 5000rpm the M850i really did drop off - you can see this in the tech specs of the M850i where the torque starts to drop off at 4600rpm. By 6500rpm torque drops off by 30% in the M850i whereas the M6 has dropped off about 7% at 6500rpm and still pulls hard to 7200rpm.

I suspect that you could replicate this if you went for a drive in an M5, ultimately the F90 M5 is very close to the M8 and feel how it compares near the top of the rev range.

The S63Tu4 that comes in the M5 and M6 has the same forged rods as the new X3M and X4M S58 engine so the rods should be fairly strong - a common problem with my version of the S63Tu is bent rods. Plenty of people are running ~700-750hp and haven't broken any engines yet so perhaps they'll be ok with a whole lot of extra power.

You can easily tune the M850i to 600hp without a problem at all. However the suspension and other chassis differences are huge between a real M and one that isn't. Again you could go for a drive in an M5 and compare it to the M850i and you'll see how much more aggressive the M5 is.
I really appreciate this response. Looks like I must do some more driving and testing of other models!!!!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

I agree. I went from an F10 M5 to the M850 and the M5 is a more aggressive beast that feels a little crisper and tighter as opposed the M850 which has plenty of power and speed but is just a tad soft especially when cornering at speed or changing directions so it makes for an excellent GT cruiser that as one of the reviewers put it (and I'm paraphrasing) you can drive it hard for a little while but anything more spirited than that for a longer time (especially if thinking about taking it to a track) you may want to go for the real M. I loved my M, but this fits my needs and wants for now (it's my daily driver and I love the little bit of extra comfort on the roads) but I can't say I don't miss the M at times when I want to have some real fun!

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
Ozzie8641.00
      08-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
M850 if you like more comfort and less money
M8C much better handling, more precise the plain M8 , fastest,obviously cost the most
If money was not a consideration I would go M8C.
Now the Aston Martin is a notch above the BMW in my opinion, maybe not in performance but it is one sweet looking car, especially if you have a British accent.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
jjasonSU194.00
      08-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
M850 if you like more comfort and less money
M8C much better handling, more precise the plain M8 , fastest,obviously cost the most
If money was not a consideration I would go M8C.
Now the Aston Martin is a notch above the BMW in my opinion, maybe not in performance but it is one sweet looking car, especially if you have a British accent.
Money really isn't a big factor. I'm not ready to jump into the exotic market by any means yet but have looked at the Austin. My issue there is do I really want to beat it up or will I find myself delicate with it.... LOL I even thought the F-type SVR, sick as hell sounding but I also would like it to run when I want to start it... HEHEHE I'm a bit torn at this time but will continue to research. Everyone who posted so far has helped a lot from another POV.

The 8 series has my eye and the seat fit me very well. (I'm 6'2" at 315lbs, not obese just wide as hell). The F-type fits okay as well. The 8 series just has three options, that had me a bit confused, but thanks the here I think the M850 is out for sure. So now maybe the M8 or M8 C..... choices.... lol
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
They are all fine cars, good luck with your choice. Buy and drive what you like! I agree the jag has a sick exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Hi All,

I been searching around quiet a bit and curious what others have to say about the thought going through my head....

Went to the dealer test drove the M850i and was impressed to say the least. Went home doing research ran across the M8. Fast forward to today you can order the M8 or Comp version. Here is my pickle!!

Here is what I am after. I have been looking around for a fun sports car to have tune, mod, potentially (rarely) track with. I thought about F-type, 911, and some others but he M8 catches my eye the most. I know there might be another vehicle to put my money on say Austin, Merc, or others so if you believe at that price point something else would blow me away please share. I am new to the higher end sport cars coming from Mustang, Vet and others. (please do not suggest waiting for the C8, I will give that a few years of production before even thinking about buying one).

Disclaimer: I do not care about value of trade, I plan to beat the shit out of it for the fun factor!!! If things break I will fix it, not a show car but a fun car.

I don't see the value in getting the comp version for 17hp, but is there something else I am missing???

Can anyone with first hand experiences tell me if the difference in M850 and M8 is worth it?

Will the aftermarket be good for the M8 or is it already at its max without crazy mods like removing engine and building a new one for more power?

EDIT: Forgot to add the wrench.... Local dealer is offering just shy of 13% off a show room M850i that he says they can tune to the M8 power from a local shop.......... Thoughts on this?
You should definitely go test drive an F90 M5 Comp. being it has the same exact engine, power specs and only weighs about 100 lbs more, that'll basically be what the M8 feels like. But less aerodynamic on the top end. What really gets me mad is the specs. Was planning on trading the 850 for the M8C when it came out but found out it's actually the new 6 series. What drove me more away was the exhaust note! Same exact one found in the M5 comp.. the N63 V8 sounds better than the ///M S63! So basically, 625/553 4300 lbs and same note for $32,000 more base than what an F90 goes for! lol!! BMW had a chance to do something really special with this M8 and they flunked. Hell forget 700 horsepower, 650 horsepower and 600 torque would've been just fine and i would've been blinded by the $32,000 premium we need a car that can take supercars down the strip! I know the f90 is capable but come on this is a $170k car we're talking about that is NO different from the F90 M5C.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarjejeega View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

You should definitely go test drive an F90 M5 Comp. being it has the same exact engine, power specs and only weighs about 100 lbs more, that'll basically be what the M8 feels like. But less aerodynamic on the top end. What really gets me mad is the specs. Was planning on trading the 850 for the M8C when it came out but found out it's actually the new 6 series. What drove me more away was the exhaust note! Same exact one found in the M5 comp.. the N63 V8 sounds better than the ///M S63! So basically, 625/553 4300 lbs and same note for $32,000 more base than what an F90 goes for! lol!! BMW had a chance to do something really special with this M8 and they flunked. Hell forget 700 horsepower, 650 horsepower and 600 torque would've been just fine and i would've been blinded by the $32,000 premium we need a car that can take supercars down the strip! I know the f90 is capable but come on this is a $170k car we're talking about that is NO different from the F90 M5C.
The M5C is an amazing machine. I am cross shopping the M850iGC with the M5C. I'm leaning more towards the M850iGC just because I have a 540 now for almost 3 years and do I want to see basically the same interior and exterior in my next car? No. I'd like it to look new and different and not dated. Plus the M850iGC has all the new iDrive stuff that the 5 series doesn't.

The biggest thing for me though is I just don't think the M8GC is worth the $30k+ premium over both of the cars. The extra that makes the M8 a full M model is it really worth $30k+ more than the M850i? In addition, it comes with an uglier front bumper. I am having a hard time justifying the extra price.

As for the M850i the seats are not as supportive as the ones on the M8 so tossing it around will be better in the M8 but the M5C has great support in its seat. All this to say I agree that the OP should consider the M5C also.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 3
Tenac4538.50
themnmd1691.00
      08-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

The M5C is an amazing machine. I am cross shopping the M850iGC with the M5C. I'm leaning more towards the M850iGC just because I have a 540 now for almost 3 years and do I want to see basically the same interior and exterior in my next car? No. I'd like it to look new and different and not dated. Plus the M850iGC has all the new iDrive stuff that the 5 series doesn't.

The biggest thing for me though is I just don't think the M8GC is worth the $30k+ premium over both of the cars. The extra that makes the M8 a full M model is it really worth $30k+ more than the M850i? In addition, it comes with an uglier front bumper. I am having a hard time justifying the extra price.

As for the M850i the seats are not as supportive as the ones on the M8 so tossing it around will be better in the M8 but the M5C has great support in its seat. All this to say I agree that the OP should consider the M5C also.
Yup! No where near the $30,000 difference, way too similar to the F90 and lacks plenty of things the M850i has going for it, look wise from the front and interior. I'd take the glass control shifter over the M shifter all day. to the seats, 100% right. I seen a video where somebodies M850i has the button where you could choose how tight you want the seat to be but mine doesn't seem to have that. Throws me around a lot. But the back of the Mate is unbelievably sexy and love how aggressive they made the fenders poke out. Didn't make it wider but looks a lot better than the 850! Not to say the 850s rear end is bad by any means whatsoever. And to the last point, agreed! The M5C is a great car, definitely not a looker like the M8 but Not sure how long the OP is willing to wait for an M8 GC
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Yup! No where near the $30,000 difference, way too similar to the F90 and lacks plenty of things the M850i has going for it, look wise from the front and interior. I'd take the glass control shifter over the M shifter all day. to the seats, 100% right. I seen a video where somebodies M850i has the button where you could choose how tight you want the seat to be but mine doesn't seem to have that. Throws me around a lot. But the back of the Mate is unbelievably sexy and love how aggressive they made the fenders poke out. Didn't make it wider but looks a lot better than the 850! Not to say the 850s rear end is bad by any means whatsoever
In Germany you can get the M850i with M Sport seats. I see it as an option in the their version of "build your own" on bmwusa.com website. I'm going to see if it's at all possible to get these seats ordered as individual option in the M850i GC. We shall see!

That will make the experience tossing it around a lot better. Not that I plan on brutalizing it but in moments of spirited driving I prefer to be snug in the seat with the right amount of support.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Yup! No where near the $30,000 difference, way too similar to the F90 and lacks plenty of things the M850i has going for it, look wise from the front and interior. I'd take the glass control shifter over the M shifter all day. to the seats, 100% right. I seen a video where somebodies M850i has the button where you could choose how tight you want the seat to be but mine doesn't seem to have that. Throws me around a lot. But the back of the Mate is unbelievably sexy and love how aggressive they made the fenders poke out. Didn't make it wider but looks a lot better than the 850! Not to say the 850s rear end is bad by any means whatsoever
In Germany you can get the M850i with M Sport seats. I see it as an option in the their version of "build your own" on bmwusa.com website. I'm going to see if it's at all possible to get these seats ordered as individual option in the M850i GC. We shall see!

That will make the experience tossing it around a lot better. Not that I plan on brutalizing it but in moments of spirited driving I prefer to be snug in the seat with the right amount of support.
A must needed option indeed!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
GHollan921
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:
A must needed option indeed!
Dont forget about the Mcomp exhaust.It is killer if you are into that. Huge difference from the M
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
Slayerkillhate
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M8

If money not questions there is no doubt to take M8C, and there is no test drive\reviews at that time to say that is similar filling like f90 m5. I ride on M5 f90 and 850m, diffrent fill when deive. Emotions from car its not only flat specs. Also in M8 Bmw promise totally different fill from M5 of driving and that will be fastest BMW ever on Nurburgring. (Even say that will be faster than 911) We all live in marketing world so M8 will be diffrent to fill, and also to drive.
Appreciate 0