M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M Performance Rotors with M Sport Brakes

05-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850i Coupe

M Performance Rotors with M Sport Brakes

I’ve talked with my BMW parts guy, and he’s checked the difference between my stock M Sport brakes and replacement M Performance brakes. He assures me that the rotors are the same size and the calipers 4 piston front and 2 piston rear in both. I’d like to swap out the old rotors for new, slotted M Performance rotors. He’s told me it shouldn’t be a problem. My only hesitation is the front calipers. Although the same number of pistons, the Reds are a bit larger. Does anyone know whether the difference between the calipers (or of any other reason) why this wouldn’t work? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:55 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 Ape View Post
I’ve talked with my BMW parts guy, and he’s checked the difference between my stock M Sport brakes and replacement M Performance brakes. He assures me that the rotors are the same size and the calipers 4 piston front and 2 piston rear in both. I’d like to swap out the old rotors for new, slotted M Performance rotors. He’s told me it shouldn’t be a problem. My only hesitation is the front calipers. Although the same number of pistons, the Reds are a bit larger. Does anyone know whether the difference between the calipers (or of any other reason) why this wouldn’t work? Thanks in advance.
Not sure if it would be any issues for sure because I don't have the diameter or thickness numbers in front of me but the M8 are 6 Piston calibers not 4 up front. don't remember the rear.

So I can't seem to find the numbers for the 8 series but it does look like commonly there is difference in size between the the two so I would triple check the specs.

Example: For the 3 series.
M sport rotors:
Front: 340mm rotors, 4-piston Brembo caliper painted blue
Rear: 345mm rotors, 2-piston Brembo caliper painted blue

M performance rotors:
Front: 370mm rotors, 4-piston Brembo caliper (yellow/gold, orange, or red color)
Rear: 345mm rotors, 2-piston Brembo caliper (yellow/gold, orange, or red color)
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS

Last edited by Tenac; 05-09-2024 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:16 PM   #3
NavyBlue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

What price did your BMW parts guy charge for stock M Sport brakes vs replacement M Performance brakes?
Install cost?
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:39 PM   #4
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep

You’re probably correct about the M8 (I haven’t checked), but I believe that the front calipers for the M Performance kit have only 4 pistons. This is based on viewing a picture of the calipers, as well as the pads being the same as for the M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #5
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
What price did your BMW parts guy charge for stock M Sport brakes vs replacement M Performance brakes?
Install cost?
Thanks,
I’m sorry, but I don’t have any quote for the M Sport brakes—they were stock on the car. I did get a parts quote for the complete M Performance brake kit ($4,000+), but haven’t asked about labor. I installed the kit on my previous M550i, and my vague recollection is that it was at least $700—i.e., not cheap. I don’t yet have a quote on parts for new rotors and pads, but should be less than half of the kit. Labor will be the same as installing new rotors and pads—fixed cost of $200 per axel. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 06:25 PM   #6
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

So I can't seem to find the numbers for the 8 series but it does look like commonly there is difference in size between the the two so I would triple check the specs.

Example: For the 3 series.
M sport rotors:
Front: 340mm rotors, 4-piston Brembo caliper painted blue
Rear: 345mm rotors, 2-piston Brembo caliper painted blue

M performance rotors:
Front: 370mm rotors, 4-piston Brembo caliper (yellow/gold, orange, or red color)
Rear: 345mm rotors, 2-piston Brembo caliper (yellow/gold, orange, or red color)
Excellent suggestion. I’ve again checked with parts guy, and he took me, part by part, through the M Performance kit and my stock M Sport brakes. Only differences were calipers (red vs blue, and M Performance front housing appearing larger) and rotors (same sizes, but drilled vs solid). I want the drilled rotors but can’t see paying for the whole kit just to get red calipers—although I’ll admit that there may be something more going on in the larger fronts. In the final analysis, I’m not convinced M Performance brake kit upgrade = M8 brakes, but I’ll be satisfied in any event,
Appreciate 1
Tenac4574.00
      05-09-2024, 06:39 PM   #7
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 Ape View Post
Excellent suggestion. I’ve again checked with parts guy, and he took me, part by part, through the M Performance kit and my stock M Sport brakes. Only differences were calipers (red vs blue, and M Performance front housing appearing larger) and rotors (same sizes, but drilled vs solid). I want the drilled rotors but can’t see paying for the whole kit just to get red calipers—although I’ll admit that there may be something more going on in the larger fronts. In the final analysis, I’m not convinced M Performance brake kit upgrade = M8 brakes, but I’ll be satisfied in any event,
Oh that is good update, and yeah the M8 are massive much larger and are also six piston that is some crazy stopping power. If you really wanted a brake upgrade I'd look at CCB's if it was in your budget and met your needs. One of the only regrets I have on my M8 is not getting CCB's. The old issues with CCB's no longer exist with the newer tech in them....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:52 PM   #8
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Oh that is good update, and yeah the M8 are massive much larger and are also six piston that is some crazy stopping power. If you really wanted a brake upgrade I'd look at CCB's if it was in your budget and met your needs. One of the only regrets I have on my M8 is not getting CCB's. The old issues with CCB's no longer exist with the newer tech in them....
I’ve always wanted ceramic brakes. Sadly, that train has left the station financially.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4574.00
      Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #9
Gr8 Ape
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know this topic has been dealt with ad nauseum, and I thought I had a clear understanding—appears not. I had thought that my stock M Sport brakes (like a number of others), as well as the M Performance brake kit for my car, had fixed 2-piston calipers in the rear. Nope. They both appear to be floating single piston. This is especially curious in that I know that the M Performance brake kit I installed on my 2018 M550i had 2-piston rears, as I assume did the stock M Sports. I can’t help but wonder why (aside from cost—which, in a $110,000+ car, strikes me as a ludicrous concern) BMW would do this on their “flagship” coupe and associated gran coupe.
Appreciate 0