M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion blue ridge parkway from North East, best route?

03-05-2024, 04:35 PM   #1
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

blue ridge parkway from North East, best route?

So I had a few days off and wanted to take the e46 M3 down Blue Ridge Parkway from NY.

For anyone that’s driven down the parkway where have you gotten hotels? Any decent towns to stop, at the start ( Roanoke) midway or near the end (tail of the dragon)

Still fleshing out the details in terms of whether I’m to go down to Atlanta to see a friend or not, but either way, if weather permits, would like to drive as much of the Parkway as possible.

I might even cut across to Greer/Greenville, so obviously the drive is a little in flux.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:47 PM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I picked up my car at the BMW Performance Center and we drove North on the parkway. Beautiful drive, but the curves and low speed limits wear on you after a while. We finally bailed out and cut over to I-81 to go back to Virginia. YMMV

Stopped in Roanoke for lunch and enjoyed the restaurant, but never stayed there overnight.
Appreciate 2
DB_Cooper599.50
Efthreeoh17309.00
      03-05-2024, 11:49 PM   #3
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

There are so many possible choices, ranging from modest mom-and-pop places (or worse), on up to modern motels. Restaurants as well.

If you start on Skyline Drive (immediately north of the BRP), you can camp, or rent cabins, right on or just off of the Drive.

There are motels in or near the major and minor cities along the way: Roanoke, Boone, Asheville, etc. Also there are places in or near the small towns: Spruce Pine, Little Switzerland, and so forth. There are campgrounds as well, although not integrated with the parkway (as far as I know) in the same way as on Skyline Drive.

If you enjoy the twisties, make sure to have fun on the switchbacks that are access roads to the BRP. Some are more fun than others.

The BRP has a maximum speed limit of 45 MPH. In some places it is slower. It is patrolled.

Keep your eye on the weather. One beautiful sunny day, I was riding the BRP on one of my Beemers, headed south of Asheville. All of a sudden I rode into a cloud. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. I turned around. There was no reaching the Tail of the Dragon that day.

Enjoy!
      03-07-2024, 11:55 AM   #4
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

BRP and cyclists

Be aware that there are cyclists pedalling the BRP, many act quite entitled about their 'right' to ride the road in the middle of the lane. IMHO a huge hazard.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
DB_Cooper599.50
      03-07-2024, 08:00 PM   #5
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
There are so many possible choices, ranging from modest mom-and-pop places (or worse), on up to modern motels. Restaurants as well.

If you start on Skyline Drive (immediately north of the BRP), you can camp, or rent cabins, right on or just off of the Drive.

There are motels in or near the major and minor cities along the way: Roanoke, Boone, Asheville, etc. Also there are places in or near the small towns: Spruce Pine, Little Switzerland, and so forth. There are campgrounds as well, although not integrated with the parkway (as far as I know) in the same way as on Skyline Drive.

If you enjoy the twisties, make sure to have fun on the switchbacks that are access roads to the BRP. Some are more fun than others.

The BRP has a maximum speed limit of 45 MPH. In some places it is slower. It is patrolled.

Keep your eye on the weather. One beautiful sunny day, I was riding the BRP on one of my Beemers, headed south of Asheville. All of a sudden I rode into a cloud. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. I turned around. There was no reaching the Tail of the Dragon that day.

Enjoy!
I’ve never been to the TOTD but from some videos posted online it looks like a complete free for all with triple digit speeds! Watched a particular Porsche video on this site and no way was it limited to 45mph lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:25 PM   #6
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
I’ve never been to the TOTD but from some videos posted online it looks like a complete free for all with triple digit speeds! Watched a particular Porsche video on this site and no way was it limited to 45mph lol.
The Tail of The Dragon is NOT the Blue Ridge Parkway, for the record. Also, I think the posted speed limit of the actual Tail of the Dragon is 30MPH now. Whether or not people follow that is certainly another thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 08:28 PM   #7
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
I’ve ridden the BRP many, many times, and driven it multiple times. I’ve seen some zippy travel, especially motorcycles, but I’ve never witnessed anything ridiculously fast.

The reputation of the tail of the dragon (not part of the BRP) is another story.

You also have to watch out for RVs, bicyclists, and other slow drivers/riders. They share the road with us. I’m not fit enough to ride the bicycle on it, but others are, and find it rewarding.
      03-07-2024, 09:00 PM   #8
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
FWIW, the BRP doesn't start in Roanoke, but in-between Charlottesville and Waynesboro, VA. Asheville is the largest town close to the southern end in the Smokies. Look at your map. There are many wonderful roads either side of the BRP that you can switch over to for a change of pace. Doing your drive during the week will make it go nearly twice as fast as on a weekend. And watch out for jerks on motorcycles who don't think they have to obey the law and will pass over solid yellow lines and not wait for legal passing-zones.

Many reasons not to take the drive. But it is something you should do once. I enjoy it quite frequently in smaller chunks on my motorcycle, but I'm only 15-minutes from mile-marker One.
Appreciate 3
DB_Cooper599.50
Efthreeoh17309.00
      03-15-2024, 09:17 AM   #9
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

I drove north from The Dragon to Roanoke in a Miata once, back in 2006 I think. Definitely worth doing! Sorry - no advice on hotels or locations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 09:47 AM   #10
Cmiata
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 m3

I absolutely love the blue ridge parkway and own a home in West Jefferson NC right near the parkway. So I hope I can give some good tips.

It is beautiful I highly recommend it to anyone. It's not necessarily a rd to drive fast on as per the reasons the other posters have mentioned. However if no one is in front of you and you've got some clear stretches, there are some absolutely amazing areas where it's easy to get carried away following the flows of the rd at speed. Also even if you're stuck behind a slow poke its still fun and sometimes will even help you to enjoy the beauty of the landscape. There are so many areas where the views are so incredible its honestly hard to keep your eyes on the rd and drive. The stretch of rd from blowing rock to Asheville is incredible to drive the views, tunnels, curves and elevation changes are stellar.

Now all that being said be warned of the following things.
-1st search for Blue Ridge parkway closures. The rd is undergoing alot of maintenance right now (3/15/2024). There are several section totally closed in the northern part of NC, you will have substantial detours. If you plan appropriately you can drive on some other rds that are also very fun for your detour. But from hwy 421 entrance near boone going south it will hopefully be smooth sailing.
-2nd there may be temporary closures from random stuff here and there.
-3rd watch out not only for hikers, and bikers, but also deer or other wildlife. There are lots of critters out there that can seriously cause some damage.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2024, 08:44 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I live 20 driving miles to one of the entrances to the Skyline Drive, which turns into the Blueridge Parkway at Route 250 in Waynesboro, VA. I've driven it and rode it on my motorcycle probably 50+ times.

Do yourself a favor and take 219 up through West Virginia or 220 in West Virginia in to Pennsylvania if you just want to get back up to New York. The BRP and Skyline Drive have low speed limits and the curves are not challenging at those speeds. You'll get bored after a few hours. Like BMWCCA1 said, the better roads are off the Parkway (to the West).

I drive in that part of the country all the time, there are far better roads to drive on in Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania than the BRP and Skyline Drive.
Appreciate 1
DB_Cooper599.50
      03-16-2024, 11:44 AM   #12
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Plan for the drive got scrapped bc of the intermittent battery light on the M3 dash. Oh the pleasure of e46 ownership lol.

Car just got a reman Bosch alternator, thinking it’s defective.

Will attempt this again, maybe next weekend.

Thanks for all the tips guys, better than me winging it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:35 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I should have added that my wife and I on our honeymoon in 2001 drove the entire BRP from the start at Cherokee, NC to the end at Waynesboro, VA in her Z3. Awesome trip, but it takes all of two days to drive it. Its great in a ragtop in May; this time of year, not so much IMO. We stayed that the Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland the first night. The second night we were back at home. Waynesboro is just an hour from our home. Getting back to New Jersey adds another day.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-16-2024 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:40 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post

Enjoy!
Had that near same experience on our trip in May 2001. The clouds were pouring over the mountain West-to-East curling over us and dropping into the valley to the east. It made for a white tunnel effect; however, the road remained clear. One of the coolest driving experiences I've had.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0