M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion I Went to the Dark Side

01-14-2024, 06:45 PM   #1
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M8 GC, '25 X5 M60i, '20 Je

Flipped out of my M8GC into the Taycan Turbo S.

Love them both. I just get antsy. Plus, I love selling cars after a year so I can enjoy the highest depreciation impact possible.

I had the RS e-tron GT briefly 2 years ago and the electric power is welcomed again. Launching the TTS is insane, but so was the M8.

Quick hits on comparison:

- Power goes to Taycan, slightly. Launch and power when between 30-50, which is awesome, are the biggest differences. At 50+ the electric still has edge but it’s similar. Launching the M8 was nuts too, especially with the akrapovic.

- Handling/Ride Quality goes to Taycan. Much different feel. I have the Olea Club Leather in the Taycan and it’s much more comfortable. Steering and suspension feel better.

- Appearance. Tie. Both are gorgeous. Interior in the Taycan has more tech, variable light moonroof, etc. My M8 was black and Sakhir with alcantara. Both strong. Exterior is a toss up. That frunk though…

- Tech. BMW wins. Porsche’s interface is cool, much better than Audi, but the BMW UI is just better. Reverse camera and surround view not even close. The Porsche is awful. Porsche doesn’t have soft close doors. Porsche has comfort access coming but not going. I have the Innodrive but haven’t used and wouldn’t compare that anyway.

- Sound. Porsche by a mile. The Burmester is much stronger than B&W IMO. Doesn’t have the ambient lighting but the sound is badass.

The car is a 2024. The M8 was a 2023. Taycans are struggling with holding value and sales have slowed so I got a very aggressive discount off MSRP. I took one from dealer inventory, which is how I got the M8, RSQ8, and RS e-tron GT as well. If the spec is good I’m in. Doesn’t have to be custom. This is black metallic with the black club leather in comfort seats with the massage. Trim inside is leather and body color so it’s simple and dark. Only add on I’m doing short term is carbon mirror caps to match other outside trim and front clear PPF and full ceramic. No stealth changes for now.

Also, there’s a software upgrade I’m exploring that takes the HP to 800 and gives you all of it all the time, not just on launch. A friend did it to his RS e-tron GT and says it’s undetectable to the dealer and loves it. It’s about $5k with labor.

I figure this group will roast me for driving a microwave so have at it. I deserve it.

Still love the M8.
Attached Images

Appreciate 14
snareman9051.50
Draxxas175.00
POBA272.00
Vic5519365.00
Seaford1147.50
TupperBMW994.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Wavy1175.50
DTexan54.00
      01-14-2024, 09:29 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Congrats but you and I differ from what we feel looks good. LOL I'm P car guy myself having a few over the years and two right now but I would never think of owning the Taycan let alone an electric. If you don't mind what was the offer on the trade in??
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
sullic72.00
      01-14-2024, 10:07 PM   #3
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Congrats and looks beautiful!

So when you walk away from it you actually have to put a button to lock it???? What is this world coming to? That actually is one of the BMW features I really like. I never have to wonder if I locked my car. its just walk away and forget about it. it does make it annoying that they are always locked in my garage if I want to grab something out of one, but I've become accustomed to unlocking from the kitchen before I go out there. What is better about the BMW back up and surround cameras?

I'm waiting for my 992.2 allocation (after the car actually comes into existence), but I'm not sure I'm ready to go full electric.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2024, 08:13 AM   #4
White8CAB
Rep
Drives: BMWIX50, Lucid Air, Tycan GTS

The Dark Side is pretty great!

I have owned several electric vehicles and many of them are awesome. Just acquired a 2024 M850XI because my wife wanted a cabrio and there are very few choices in a cab. If BMW or Porsche offered a I4 cab or Taycan Cab i would have strongly considered that option. Electric power is so Strong a smooth that it just is something hard to match in an ICE car. Electric cars also are low maintenance if there built well. Porsche and BMW are building great electric cars. I have owned a Taycan Turbo and now own a Taycan GTS. Both are awesome and drive much better than the 8 series. I agree that BMWs tech is better and that the Porsche backup cameras suck. It surprised me that there was no improvement to the cameras between my 2020 turbo and 2023 GTS. I sold the Taycan Turbo for a Lucid Air Grand Touring in summer 2022 when the Dealer offered me close to my original Purchase price after 18 months. Didn’t like the Lucid as it was not as exciting to Drive as the Porsche and I felt like a beta tester given all the things that never worked. The infotainment and driver assistance systems failed to even live up to the levels I experienced in other cars 10 years ago. They gradually are getting better with software updates but it will be awhile to reach the standard of BMW -assuming lucid survives as a company.
I also own a BMW IX SUV and that has been a great experience as well. My only issue with Electric cars is the Electrify America (CCS) infrastructure is getting worse with the volume of Cheap EV’s that are owned by people with no at home charging and so the clog up the available infrastructure with their Chevy Bolts and other slow charging vehicles. Nothing worse than having an Uber driver in a Chevy volt charging to 100 percent at 13KW for the last hour.
Appreciate 2
m3_08604.00
      01-15-2024, 08:57 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Amazing sir and thanks for the comparo but you forgot to talk about the real comparo

Sound--- exhaust wise LOL. Im joking as we all know there is no comparison but when I saw your word Sound, I immediately expected to read about the exhaust LOL (joking as you know)

I know there are deals to be had right now on those cars (Taycans) so why not!!

And I drive a microwave too aka God's Golf Cart in that of the Plaid.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
      01-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I have had a Taycan demonstrator and loved it. Only thing I don’t like are the headlights…make it look a bit like a 1970s kit car in my opinion!
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #7
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White8CAB View Post
I have owned several electric vehicles and many of them are awesome. Just acquired a 2024 M850XI because my wife wanted a cabrio and there are very few choices in a cab. If BMW or Porsche offered a I4 cab or Taycan Cab i would have strongly considered that option. Electric power is so Strong a smooth that it just is something hard to match in an ICE car. Electric cars also are low maintenance if there built well. Porsche and BMW are building great electric cars. I have owned a Taycan Turbo and now own a Taycan GTS. Both are awesome and drive much better than the 8 series. I agree that BMWs tech is better and that the Porsche backup cameras suck. It surprised me that there was no improvement to the cameras between my 2020 turbo and 2023 GTS. I sold the Taycan Turbo for a Lucid Air Grand Touring in summer 2022 when the Dealer offered me close to my original Purchase price after 18 months. Didn’t like the Lucid as it was not as exciting to Drive as the Porsche and I felt like a beta tester given all the things that never worked. The infotainment and driver assistance systems failed to even live up to the levels I experienced in other cars 10 years ago. They gradually are getting better with software updates but it will be awhile to reach the standard of BMW -assuming lucid survives as a company.
I also own a BMW IX SUV and that has been a great experience as well. My only issue with Electric cars is the Electrify America (CCS) infrastructure is getting worse with the volume of Cheap EV’s that are owned by people with no at home charging and so the clog [...]
Great commentary.

Regarding charging, totally agree. I work from home and have a 50A 240V line. I’m upgrading my house to 400A service and running a 100A line to the garage so I can hardwire the 19.2kwh Porsche charger which will give me under 5 hours full charge.

All of my driving will be about getting back home to the garage without charging in most cases. If I need to take a trip that likely needs a charge in the middle I’ll probably scope it with stops at a Porsche dealer instead of an EA location.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:16 PM   #8
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Sound--- exhaust wise LOL. Im joking as we all know there is no comparison but when I saw your word Sound, I immediately expected to read about the exhaust LOL (joking as you know)
Couldn't agree more. When he said "sound" and then gave the win to the Taycan, I was like "WHAT?!". Then I realized he was talking about the stereo system

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
snareman9051.50
      01-16-2024, 04:04 PM   #9
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Couldn't agree more. When he said "sound" and then gave the win to the Taycan, I was like "WHAT?!". Then I realized he was talking about the stereo system
I had the same thought, but was also happy to hear about the radio. Initially I thought maybe I wasn't as familiar with the Taycan as I thought I was and maybe it actually has a V12.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:28 AM   #10
Krzys
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i, BMW M8 Comp, 911

I wonder in what sense is Taycan handling better than M8, considering it’s significantly slower in track tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaLefty50 View Post
Flipped out of my M8GC into the Taycan Turbo S.

Love them both. I just get antsy. Plus, I love selling cars after a year so I can enjoy the highest depreciation impact possible.

I had the RS e-tron GT briefly 2 years ago and the electric power is welcomed again. Launching the TTS is insane, but so was the M8.

Quick hits on comparison:

- Power goes to Taycan, slightly. Launch and power when between 30-50, which is awesome, are the biggest differences. At 50+ the electric still has edge but it’s similar. Launching the M8 was nuts too, especially with the akrapovic.

- Handling/Ride Quality goes to Taycan. Much different feel. I have the Olea Club Leather in the Taycan and it’s much more comfortable. Steering and suspension feel better.

- Appearance. Tie. Both are gorgeous. Interior in the Taycan has more tech, variable light moonroof, etc. My M8 was black and Sakhir with alcantara. Both strong. Exterior is a toss up. That frunk though…

- Tech. BMW wins. Porsche’s interface is cool, much better than Audi, but the BMW UI is just better. Reverse camera and surround view not even close. The Porsche is awful. Porsche doesn’t have soft close doors. Porsche has comfort access coming but not going. I have the Innodrive but haven’t used and wouldn’t compare that anyway.

- Sound. Porsche by a mile. The Burmester is much stronger than B&W IMO. Doesn’t have the ambient lighting but the sound is badass.

The car is a 2024. The M8 was a 2023. Taycans are struggling with holding value and sales have slowed so I got a very aggressive discount off MSRP. I took one from dealer inventory, which is how I got the M8, RSQ8, and RS e-tron GT as well. If the spec is good I’m in. Doesn’t have to be custom. This is black metallic with the black club leather in comfort seats with the massage. Trim inside is leather and body color so it’s simple and dark. Only add on I’m doing short term is carbon mirror caps to match other outside trim and front clear PPF and full ceramic. No stealth changes for now.

Also, there’s a software upgrade I’m exploring that takes the HP to 800 and gives you all of it all the time, not just on launch. A friend did it to his RS e-tron GT and says it’s undetectable to the dealer and loves it. It’s about $5k with labor.

I figure this group will roast me for driving a microwave so have at it. I deserve it.

Still love the M8.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:27 AM   #11
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

^ Perhaps he is talking about steering feedback? Porsches are generally tuned to feel more sporty than the other German brands, due to their long motorsports heritage.

I have only test driven a Taycan Turbo S once, and I recall it launching like a SOB, but otherwise my memory is faded about how it handled on my one test drive.

I will say, however, that I don't think I will go with Porsche for a daily. There is something always goofy and glitchy with their tech. I think BMW is better in that department, maybe Audi as well. Porsche is best suited for sports cars.

Having said all of that, the Taycan/Audi e-tron GT are beautiful cars.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      01-17-2024, 03:08 PM   #12
Krzys
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i, BMW M8 Comp, 911

Fair enough. Porsche steering tends to be superior (at least ever since the 991.1 disaster), but overall direct comparison between Taycan and M8 Gran Coupe (German press had two of those) suggest that the BMW is the more playful and better performing machine. All the more so if comparing the Taycan and the coupe.

Quote:
^ Perhaps he is talking about steering feedback? Porsches are generally tuned to feel more sporty than the other German brands, due to their long motorsports heritage.

I have only test driven a Taycan Turbo S once, and I recall it launching like a SOB, but otherwise my memory is faded about how it handled on my one test drive.

I will say, however, that I don't think I will go with Porsche for a daily. There is something always goofy and glitchy with their tech. I think BMW is better in that department, maybe Audi as well. Porsche is best suited for sports cars.

Having said all of that, the Taycan/Audi e-tron GT are beautiful cars.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 09:41 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
This was the LOL comment of the day on the forum.

Quote:
Felt the same with my check out of a 992 but in all reality I've found no Infotainment system than can touch iDrive.

Quote:
[Soapbox on] Yes, the Burmeister is great but the DSP is over fabricated from a purist standpoint than the B&W. [/Soapbox off]

That said I'm a rare individual who cares about that level of detail.

Enjoy the drive as the Taycan Turbo S is definitely a beast. Our CEO has one and let me take it for a spin with her in the passenger seat. My only advice was get the car PPF'd with Xpel stealth (hers is a matte greyish color). She asked "what is PPF?" 😜 Hooked her up with my detailer and now she's golden.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      01-19-2024, 06:10 AM   #14
TAG Prez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC / 2023 Alpina XB7

Back seat space?

Isn't the back seat pretty small on the taycan compared to the M8GC?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:34 AM   #15
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG Prez View Post
Isn't the back seat pretty small on the taycan compared to the M8GC?
Perhaps but to be honest I’m not sure I have looked at the back seat for either. Seems typical.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:51 AM   #16
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Update after Stealth PPF and carbon fiber mirror caps. All CF wrapped in gloss. Tint next.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:33 AM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Update after Stealth PPF and carbon fiber mirror caps. All CF wrapped in gloss. Tint next.
I like but why the 4x4 setting as I know it sits lower with the air adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:34 AM   #18
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

She’s a beauty

When are you coming back to the light?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:37 AM   #19
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I like but why the 4x4 setting as I know it sits lower with the air adjustments.
Not sure I follow. The Taycan has a geofence setting that raises it when I’m near my house because my driveway is sloped. That what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #20
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
She’s a beauty

When are you coming back to the light?
I’d say about 3 days after it bricks in my garage. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 11:36 AM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I follow. The Taycan has a geofence setting that raises it when I’m near my house because my driveway is sloped. That what you mean?
Oh I see what happened --- I have that too with my Plaid- I just thought you drove it with that height which is a bit up in the air LOL
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 01:26 PM   #22
ElloM8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Oh I see what happened --- I have that too with my Plaid- I just thought you drove it with that height which is a bit up in the air LOL
Haha! it definitely looks like it's been skipping leg day with the added Hight. It is pretty cool that it will do that so you don't rub though.
Appreciate 0