M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850 tuning options

03-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #1
f80 zcp dom
Rep
Drives: bmw m850i

M850 tuning options

Just purchased an m850, looking to tune it asap. What tune are you guys running and what are the hp / tq gains.

thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #2
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

congrats nice looking ride
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Unless it's an older one, you can't tune it. If it's an early 2019 or 2020; you have a couple tuning options.
Bootmod3
MHD
CARBHAN
DME
Some other options if you're in Europe, but mostly those 4 are the only USA ones.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      03-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Unless it's an older one, you can't tune it. If it's an early 2019 or 2020; you have a couple tuning options.
Bootmod3
MHD
CARBHAN
DME
Some other options if you're in Europe, but mostly those 4 are the only USA ones.
Why can't he use a piggy back like Racechip or JB4

https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/8-s...-553lb-ft.html

https://burgertuning.com/collections...63tu-jb4-tuner
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Indeed plenty of options but for flash tunes it all depends whether the DME of your model can be unlocked so be sure to check with the tuner of your choice especially if you want to opt for this type of tune.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1777694

As far as piggybacks go there are pros and cons (as is the case with ECU flash tunes) discussed at length and in all sauces I suggest you read them just to get an idea what their added-value may be or not. Ultimately each one have to decide what they prefer for themselves and based on their "tuning needs". I personally prefer flashtunes.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Jenner
///M
Rep
Drives: M8C/Taycan Turbo/Roadster 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I personally prefer flashtunes.
I respect that, but if his ECU is locked...that's not an option where a piggyback is. So isn't it better to give him a solution rather than preference?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Quote:
I respect that, but if his ECU is locked...that's not an option where a piggyback is. So isn't it better to give him a solution rather than preference?
Flash tune is far better than piggyback; but yes if he's got a new one, there is no other options.

The jb4 looks complicated to setup and install. The GTS Racechip looks very easy to setup and install.
Appreciate 3
FBMWWINS604.50
Tenac4538.50
ElloM815.00
      03-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I do not claim to give anyone a solution, who am I to do that? I may suggest an option, based on experience I have had with both types of tunes over the years on cars I previously owned. By no means I claimed this to be THE solution.

I repeat:

"As far as piggybacks go there are pros and cons (as is the case with ECU flash tunes) discussed at length and in all sauces I suggest you read them just to get an idea what their added-value may be or not. Ultimately each one have to decide what they prefer for themselves and based on their "tuning needs."

Indeed if his ECU is locked, courtesy of the new Bosch DMEs (generally from 07.2020 production models and unfortunately also mounted on some earlier 2020 months production), a flash tune is not an option. BUT, if the ECU of his car is locked, based on month/year production it might be unlockable! Thus making the flash tune a very viable option. Else a piggy back will be the only option to choose from.

When it comes to tuning, IMHO at the end of the day some self-reading about different options is what makes sense to begin with. Some will say go piggy back, others will say go flash tune (where applicable).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Flash tune is far better than piggyback; but yes if he's got a new one, there is no other options.

The jb4 looks complicated to setup and install. The GTS Racechip looks very easy to setup and install.

Corretto RES and for me it also comes down to a flash tune being a DYI option once the ECU is unlocked and being installable within minutes over OBD. In fact PTF (Bootmod3), to mention a worthy one, is all over the place here at BIMMERPOST and most certainly for a (good) reason. While installing a piggyback may be a 15 minutes job for some, for others it may take 2h or not even be able to install it without the help of a professional. Last but not least you need to know "what you are disconnecting and connecting". Just a little detail....
Of course as we have said many times, if the ECU is locked and there is no chance of unlocking it then he is left only with one of the piggyback options.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Blank

Definitely. DIY is certainly preferred. Mine is definitely locked, but a bench unlock should unlock it.

A piggyback just boosts the turbos. An ECU will change fuel/air ratios and the entries controlled harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The setup for the JB4 and Racechip is identical. Please stop saying otherwise.

They both require TMAP. If you stop there with a JB4, you're done since it defaults to map 1. With a Racechip, it defaults to stock so if we're nitpicking, the Racechip technically requires more steps.

The JB4 can also and optionally use OBD II for its own telemetry purposes as well as logging and reading+clearing any codes the car may throw (tune related or otherwise).

Again, optionally, the JB4 can also manipulate the electronic waste gates giving it yet more control over boost targeting, etc.

The end result is something that, in my extensive side-by-side testing always yields faster end results... which is the entire point of the tune.

Summary:
- they cost almost the same
- their installs are identical (if you opt for simple)
- they both have good phone apps for controlling the tune
- the JB4 yields a faster car than the Racechip when fully installed
- the JB4 can be customized for different fuel types if you choose to... there any many other optional customizations, too

The JB4 allowed my last M5 to hit 60 repeatedly in a validated 2.57s and a 1/4 mile in 10.33s and 132mph. The Racechip did not achieve those numbers.

I agree with almost everything else mentioned here wrt/ ECU vs. piggyback. If the ECU is still locked out then piggys are the way to go.
Appreciate 1
rw99102.00
      03-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
Quinn A
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
The setup for the JB4 and Racechip are identical. Please stop saying otherwise.

They both require TMAP. If you stop there with a JB4, you're done since it defaults to map 1. With a Racechip, it defaults to stock so if we're nitpicking, the Racechip technically requires more steps.

The JB4 can also and optionally use OBD II for its own telemetry purposes as well as logging and reading+clearing any codes the car may throw (tune related or otherwise).

Again, optionally, the JB4 can also manipulate the electronic waste gates giving it yet more control over boost targeting, etc.

The end result is something that, in my extensive side-by-side testing always yields faster end results... which is the entire point of the tune.

Summary:
- they cost almost the same
- their installs are identical (if you opt for simple)
- they both have good phone apps for controlling the tune
- the JB4 yields a faster car than the Racechip when fully installed
- the JB4 can be customized for different fuel types if you choose to... there any many other optional customizations, too

The JB4 allowed my last M5 to hit 60 repeatedly in a validated 2.57s and a 1/4 mile in 10.33s and 132mph. The Racechip did not achieve those numbers.

I agree with almost everything else mentioned here wrt/ ECU vs. piggyback. If the ECU is still locked out then piggys are the way to go.
I went with JB4 for all of those reasons as well.
2022 Cayenne Turbo coupe Catless/ Tune
2022 Huracan STO
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Edtex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Coupe Competition

Quote:

Regarding my 2020 M8 Competition, yes the ecu is locked and requires a bench tune of the ecu. BootMod and others will not work. I initially attempted the JB4 route, and yes I agree with you that it was complicated. I removed it and returned it for a refund. I drove down to Houston to DME and had my car ecu tuned.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtex View Post
Quote:

Regarding my 2020 M8 Competition, yes the ecu is locked and requires a bench tune of the ecu. BootMod and others will not work. I initially attempted the JB4 route, and yes I agree with you that it was complicated. I removed it and returned it for a refund. I drove down to Houston to DME and had my car ecu tuned.
yep! if I lived closer to NYC or Houston, I would do the same! I'm glad you tested it and found the information first hand!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #15
rmforr2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edtex View Post
What shop did you use in Houston? I've called around to a couple and can't find anyone to unlock the DME. I'm hoping to use BM3.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 02:21 AM   #16
Chris415-M850I
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw M850i XDrive

Garage List
2019 bmw m850i  [0.00]
2019 bmw m850i  [9.25]
Hey guys I got a 2019 m850i
With 29K miles I live in San Francisco
And am going to carbahn next week
For a stage 1 tune just want to get
Some feed back if this tunes is
As good as they say it is from what
I seen on website and review you
Are getting close to 707 horse power
And 711 pounds of tourqe
Also I’m concerned about the launch
Control what rpm does it launch
From with stage 1 tune and how
Safe the tunes ?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:36 AM   #17
mbdelta
Rep
Drives: BMW Z1; BMW F30; BMW M850i

Quote:
Bootmod3
MHD
CARBHAN
DME
On MHD website, I can't find nothing for the M850i (N63) engine.
Do you guys know if there's a MHD tuning option for the N63?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 08:59 PM   #18
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

UNP is good tuner via bm3. I have the datalogs and it's solid. The torque is pushed higher in the range as boost builds.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 11:02 AM   #19
Hem
Registered
Rep
Drives: M850I

Hello All,

I heard that the BM3 license is transferable.
I am looking for BOOTMOD3 N63T2 license If any one planning to sell one?

Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0