M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Your Thoughts On M850i Reliability And Does My Plan Make Sense?

03-07-2024, 11:42 PM   #1
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Your Thoughts On M850i Reliability And Does My Plan Make Sense?

I have been seriously considering the purchase of an M850i, and have spent a great deal of time researching all aspects of the car, reading every available review, and have now had two test drives of the car.

My only remaining question is what might be expected for long term reliability. I would particularly appreciate the thoughts of any of you who have owned the cars since the 2019 model first appeared through the current time. Anyone else with suitable expertise and knowledge of the cars thoughts would also be greatly appreciated.

I would plan to use the 850i for the next seven years as a daily driver about 12k miles a year. And it will almost certainly be a 2019 model based on what I can afford.

Do you feel this is a viable plan? As always, there were certainly be the expected maintenance costs, and a repair, here or there, and, within reason, I can accommodate those costs.

Your perspective is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:52 PM   #2
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

I should point out that cars in the price range I can afford, $58-$62k are alll 2019's, and with at least 18k miles on them. At rate of 12k miles a year accumulating on the car, at the end of seven years, the car would be have right around 90k miles at that point. I've owned five previous, high performance BMW's. I know that, at least until fairly recently (and hope that has not changed in recent years) that with proper maintenance, preventive maintenance etc. these cars can go 200k and remain outstanding vehicles.

Just recently, I ran into someone with a 2006 BMW M3 Competition, a car I once owned myself. The car had just hit 220k. It has been his daily driver all this time. But it had been beautifully maintained and incredibly well taken care of. The car looked great, and drove a swell as I remember mine when it was over ten years ago. I would plan that same level of care and maintenance for the M850i.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:23 AM   #3
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO-BMW View Post
I should point out that cars in the price range I can afford, $58-$62k are alll 2019's, and with at least 18k miles on them. At rate of 12k miles a year accumulating on the car, at the end of seven years, the car would be have right around 90k miles at that point. I've owned five previous, high performance BMW's. I know that, at least until fairly recently (and hope that has not changed in recent years) that with proper maintenance, preventive maintenance etc. these cars can go 200k and remain outstanding vehicles.

Just recently, I ran into someone with a 2006 BMW M3 Competition, a car I once owned myself. The car had just hit 220k. It has been his daily driver all this time. But it had been beautifully maintained and incredibly well taken care of. The car looked great, and drove a swell as I remember mine when it was over ten years ago. I would plan that same level of care and maintenance for the M850i.
You can't really compare a 18 year old car......

These cars have way more electronics....that's the issue with all cars nowadays.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 01:13 PM   #4
F92
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I had the 2019 model from January 2019 to May 2023.

I put 50,000 miles on the car in that time frame. Basically 12,000 miles a year.

The only “issue” I ever had was coolant top offs which got annoying but is vital to take care of. No serious engine issues ever and I absolutely beat on that car.

Oil changes around every 6k-8k miles (BMW “recommends” 10k miles). Only thing I ever did was pads & fluid. Spark plugs before I sold the car with 50k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:24 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

The 8 series is pretty solid. That said, you're looking at first year production which can/may/may not have more issues than later production.

Is this M850i a coupe or convertible? I would be a bit concerned with the top and mechanism on an aging convertible.

The N63TU3 is a pretty solid engine if it wasn't beat on and maintenance was religiously done. That said, the engine is not without its concerns but if the car was well cared for I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Watch out for cars that were kept/stored outdoors in hot climates. Heat is not a BMWs friend once the car reaches 3-4+ years. Plastic parts tend to crack, rubber hoses tend to fail....

As far as reliability is concerned...... Overall the car is fairly solid. However things happen and I can tell you that with an 8 series you'll want to find a local BMW servicer who can help you through the issues you may experience. Parts tend to be very very expensive on BMWs, and especially so on a luxury BMW such as this model. If your transmission takes a dump, good luck finding someone who can repair it and a remanufactured replacement can be upwards of $8-10K. Driver Assist sensor failures can easily be $2K+. Parts can be pricey and used parts sometimes tough to find.

Setting expectations. Consider purchasing an extended warranty if one is available for a 2019.
      03-08-2024, 11:49 PM   #6
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The 8 series is pretty solid. That said, you're looking at first year production which can/may/may not have more issues than later production.

Is this M850i a coupe or convertible? I would be a bit concerned with the top and mechanism on an aging convertible.

The N63TU3 is a pretty solid engine if it wasn't beat on and maintenance was religiously done. That said, the engine is not without its concerns but if the car was well cared for I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Watch out for cars that were kept/stored outdoors in hot climates. Heat is not a BMWs friend once the car reaches 3-4+ years. Plastic parts tend to crack, rubber hoses tend to fail....

As far as reliability is concerned...... Overall the car is fairly solid. However things happen and I can tell you that with an 8 series you'll want to find a local BMW servicer who can help you through the issues you may experience. Parts tend to be very very expensive on BMWs, and especially so on a luxury BMW such as this model. If your transmission takes a dump, good luck finding someone who can repair it and a remanufactured replacement can be upwards of $8-10K. Driver Assist sensor failures can easily be $2K+. Parts can be pricey and used parts sometimes tough to find.

Setting expectations. Consider purchasing an extended warranty if one is available for a 2019.
Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely be looking at a coupe, no interest in convertibles. But yes, being the first year of production does concern me a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 03:56 AM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Don't some of the early models have issues with the coolant tank reservoir leaking? Even with the revised tank it's still a possible issue?

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:21 AM   #8
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Being a first year model should concern you a lot! I would probably spend a little more $$ and get a 2021.

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely be looking at a coupe, no interest in convertibles. But yes, being the first year of production does concern me a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 12:48 PM   #9
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

My 2019 vert has been bulletproof over 24K miles. Would easily serve as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:43 PM   #10
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

I had an incredible deal blow up in my face yesterday. This was THE M850i I was meant to buy. I contacted the dealer where it was located right after they opened yesterday morning. I was going to put a deposit down on it, to hold it until I could get a PPI asap. The staff woman who answered the phone said the salesman were tied up with customers who came in right when they opened the door. She promised to have one call me as a soon as they were available. Two hours later, no call, so I called back. Same woman, same story, she just said they were really busy, and someone would call me soon. Three hours later, still no call, so I call them again. I told her that I had now been waiting over five hours to talk to someone in sales about putting a deposit on a car. Again, she promises I will get a call shortly. Finally, over an hour later, I hear back from a salesman who then informs me that they sold the car about an hour earlier! I was so upset and wound up after that I was barely able to get any sleep last night. This was exactly the right car, essentially loaded, very low miles, with a CPO warranty, and at a great price. It was right at the extreme top of my budget, but for that particular car, with a warranty, it was a phenomenal deal. I won't find another one like it, probably not even close. And, for a variety of reasons, I either have to complete a deal for a car by the end of this month, or the window closes, and it's not happening. What a massive disappointment. And in the end, I amy not even end up with an M850i
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 05:47 PM   #11
italian926
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

Wasnt meant to be... maybe u dodged a bullet
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 03:49 AM   #12
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
I had an incredible deal blow up in my face yesterday. This was THE M850i I was meant to buy. I contacted the dealer where it was located right after they opened yesterday morning. I was going to put a deposit down on it, to hold it until I could get a PPI asap. The staff woman who answered the phone said the salesman were tied up with customers who came in right when they opened the door. She promised to have one call me as a soon as they were available. Two hours later, no call, so I called back. Same woman, same story, she just said they were really busy, and someone would call me soon. Three hours later, still no call, so I call them again. I told her that I had now been waiting over five hours to talk to someone in sales about putting a deposit on a car. Again, she promises I will get a call shortly. Finally, over an hour later, I hear back from a salesman who then informs me that they sold the car about an hour earlier! I was so upset and wound up after that I was barely able to get any sleep last night. This was exactly the right car, essentially loaded, very low miles, with a CPO warranty, and at a great price. It was right at the extreme top of my budget, but for that particular car, with a warranty, it was a phenomenal deal. I won't find another one like it, probably not even close. And, for a variety of reasons, I either have to complete a deal for a car by the end of this month, or the window closes, and it's not happening. What a massive disappointment. And in the end, I amy not even end up with an M850i
A lot of people do not return phone calls these days unless there's something in it for them. They sold the car so they didn't want to spend 5 seconds of their time calling you back about it. My dealership does that to me to, even if I'm trying to refinance for a lower rate. If they can't get me approved, they don't even bother letting me know after promising they would call me back.

I think if you're in a situation where you have a 'window' for buying the vehicle, then maybe it is best that you didn't buy it. They are such a bottomless pit of depreciation that I cannot recommend the car to anyone unless they are ok losing tens of thousands of dollars without blinking an eye.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 02:56 PM   #13
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
A lot of people do not return phone calls these days unless there's something in it for them. They sold the car so they didn't want to spend 5 seconds of their time calling you back about it. My dealership does that to me to, even if I'm trying to refinance for a lower rate. If they can't get me approved, they don't even bother letting me know after promising they would call me back.

I think if you're in a situation where you have a 'window' for buying the vehicle, then maybe it is best that you didn't buy it. They are such a bottomless pit of depreciation that I cannot recommend the car to anyone unless they are ok losing tens of thousands of dollars without blinking an eye.

Rob
In this case, the sold the car five or more hours after I first called them. Thats inexcusable and amateurish. I had identified that I wanted to put a actual deposit down on the car to the dealership staff. What a load of crap.

No one has been able to explain why the M850i depreciates so fast from initial sale, and I've asked some very savvy industry management veterans. That even included a BMW exec that I work out with sometimes.

I did talk to a sports car broker, with over 40 years in the business though, and he said that, while the first and second year (2019-202) M850i's take a huge, often close to 50% drop currently, its extremely unlikely that they will lose significantly more than normal value as they get older, from this point. But I would certainly not be happy if I had dropped close to $10k on one three to four years ago when it was new given what they are worth now. In this case, the second buyer benefits massively.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 11:55 PM   #14
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian926 View Post
Wasnt meant to be... maybe u dodged a bullet
The car was BMW certified, low mileage, and mint, hard to imagine where I could have come up short.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:48 AM   #15
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
It's too bad that this happened to you, because BMW dealerships are mostly reporting that M850i's (and the 8 series in general) are sitting in lots very difficult to sell. Hence the amount of depreciation.

Like I've stated before, my car has depreciated so much I've essentially said "screw it", I'm just going to mod this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 12:48 PM   #16
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Being a first year model should concern you a lot! I would probably spend a little more $$ and get a 2021.
I've taken your advice, and that is the current plan in place. Just trying to nail down the best option of an available car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:19 PM   #17
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Good luck and keep us posted!

Quote:
I've taken your advice, and that is the current plan in place. Just trying to nail down the best option of an available car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:12 PM   #18
Frostycaps
"Kayzo and Slander"
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
I have been seriously considering the purchase of an M850i, and have spent a great deal of time researching all aspects of the car, reading every available review, and have now had two test drives of the car.

My only remaining question is what might be expected for long term reliability. I would particularly appreciate the thoughts of any of you who have owned the cars since the 2019 model first appeared through the current time. Anyone else with suitable expertise and knowledge of the cars thoughts would also be greatly appreciated.

I would plan to use the 850i for the next seven years as a daily driver about 12k miles a year. And it will almost certainly be a 2019 model based on what I can afford.

Do you feel this is a viable plan? As always, there were certainly be the expected maintenance costs, and a repair, here or there, and, within reason, I can accommodate those costs.

Your perspective is appreciated. Thanks.
Got one with almost 70k miles, 2019 coupe model. Definitely get one, they’re amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:16 PM   #19
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F92 View Post
I had the 2019 model from January 2019 to May 2023.

I put 50,000 miles on the car in that time frame. Basically 12,000 miles a year.

The only “issue” I ever had was coolant top offs which got annoying but is vital to take care of. No serious engine issues ever and I absolutely beat on that car.

Oil changes around every 6k-8k miles (BMW “recommends” 10k miles). Only thing I ever did was pads & fluid. Spark plugs before I sold the car with 50k miles
Can you describe the coolant top offs more thoroughly? In terms of roughly how often to check, what to expect, etc. It would be much appreciated.

I'm assuming this is simply common to this model of car and everyone has had to do it?

Last edited by TWO-BMW; 03-16-2024 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:31 PM   #20
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Great news to pass on. I just closed a deal on a wonderful car, except for signing the paperwork when I fly to the dealership on Tuesday. All financing, etc. handled.
The car is an essentially mint condition, one owner 2021 M850i with only 15,800 miles on it. The interior is flawless, the outside is also flawless except for two chips, the size of a pencil point, down low on the front end near the ground. Thats it. The car also had a slow leak in one tire, which couldn't be repaired du e to its location on the sidewall. The gentleman trading it in split the difference with the dealership and four brand new Pirelli P Zeros are on the car.

I was all set to have a PPI done before I pick it up and sign the paperwork until two things became clear. One, the car has 13 months left on its original warranty. Two, the dealership in question, realizing that they do not have sufficient technology expertise to completely check the car out, sent it to a BMW dealer who they have a relationship with, for a complete inspection and it was given a completely clean bill of health, pronounced in exceptional condition without ever having had any code appear of any concern whatsoever.

The dealer who has the car, which was traded in on His and Her's Corvettes for he and his wife, also had their Corvette tech refinished the brake rotors, even though it wasn't yet necessary, and replace the brake pads, just because their dealerships do that with higher end cars if they have over 10k miles on them. They own both this Chevy dealership, a Cadillac dealership, and a Porsche/Bentley/Aston Martin dealership, among others.

The car is one of my favorite color combinations, and has every option of any importance. Well, okay, in a "perfect" world it would have the B&W sound system instead of the Harmon Kardon in it. And I would have liked to have the crystal shift lever. The car I test drove had that, and it looked really cool, but, honestly, I'm not sure it might not have ended up being less than ideally comfortable in constant use.

I spent a bit more than I originally planned, but I was somehow able to get a truly great price on this 2021. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks, very much, to everyone for their input.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 11:53 PM   #21
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:42 AM   #22
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Congrats!

Thanks. It took some work to find, but this is a great deal on a near perfect car, with a year of warranty left. My favorite exterior color, with an excellent interior color. Plus brand new tires and a fresh brake job!
Appreciate 0