M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos nissan g t...r you serious

07-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #45
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I am well familiar with their history in Japan. Back in the day I remember my dad and his buds at Z Car club meetings lamenting the fact that the Skyline was not available in the states.

It is simply that in my mind that level price tag is reserved for very few car brands and Nissan is not one of them.

This is a subjective OPINION. It cannot be right or wrong. You guys need to lighten up.
Ha, true... it's all opinion, but you think a Z06 or even a Zr1 Chevy is worth $100k+?

The GTR is built by hand, and in many ways is built better than 99% of the cars out there (with their heritage and all that too.).
      07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #46
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Ha, true... it's all opinion, but you think a Z06 or even a Zr1 Chevy is worth $100k+?

The GTR is built by hand, and in many ways is built better than 99% of the cars out there (with their heritage and all that too.).
No. I do think a Corvette (or any Chevy) belongs in that price class either.

Brands matter. Why do think BMW felt they had to buy the rights to the Rolls-Royce name, VW paid an exorbitant sum for Bentley, or Daimler revive the Maybach name to compete at a certain price level?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #47
gshb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow

what a failure of a thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #48
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
I believe that this was in response to my thread I posted last night about wanting to get a GTR at MSRP. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157381
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #49
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic the Hedgehog View Post
sorry Idk it just seems weird to me to spend so much for something with a nissan badge on the trunk
OHHHH
so you buy a car because of its badge. I get it now.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #50
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
OHHHH
so you buy a car because of its badge. I get it now.
i kinda understand. i dont unhook bras that arent Victoria's Secret
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #51
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbeemer View Post
So lets hijack this thread and tell us what sports car has the most heart and sou l?
I haven't tried every super car out there, but the Carrera GT most definitely has soul, and way way too much capability to exploit safety without a significant amount of driver training
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #52
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I haven't tried every super car out there, but the Carrera GT most definitely has soul, and way way too much capability to exploit safety without a significant amount of driver training
i wouldnt pay a penny for a car that has a Porsche emblem on its trunk, ewww that's just ghetto. i only buy cars that have a long history of building sports, race, and super cars, like Scion tC
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #53
LAbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 3351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i kinda understand. i dont unhook bras that arent Victoria's Secret
Best joke I heard all week!!!!!

Quote:
I have to say I agree with the OP. I do not hate Nissans (I grew up with a dad who owned a series of Datsun Z's and BMW 2002's) but I would never consider paying that kind of price for a Nissan.

Car enthusiasm to me is more than performance numbers. It is also history, driving experience, and that intangible of soul. For the same reason I would never buy a Lamborghini. To my mind they will always be wanna be Ferrari's made by a tractor maker. Maybe the day Lamborghini wins a race in F1 or Le Mans I would reconsider but until then...
Dude nissan has won many races over many years and started many racing series events from its funding and pushed technology into this new era! You said history, its doesn't get much richer than nissan. Driving experience?? tell me how many people have taken a car for under 100k bone stock around the NUR as fast as this car? Made the 977 turbo (162k msrp) look like a civic at the TSUKUBA track, its on youtube. look it up! I understand your ideals about lambo cause they never won a race, no history and all. But answer this if you were around when Porsche built its first car you'd be saying the same thing to them. Having to look back and be the guy who made those comments about the brand name Porsche you'd feel dumb. Give respect where respect is due, name or no name. 75k for anything this amazing, even if it was a fricken Hyundai GTR, is a deal. Nothing 75k or under come even slightly close. Now wouldnt you like to see a Lamborghini for 75k brand new? It still wouldnt be as good as a NISSAN Skyline though for performance, maybe style only.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #54
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Best joke I heard all week!!!!!

Dude nissan has won many races over many years and started many racing series events from its funding and pushed technology into this new era! You said history, its doesn't get much richer than nissan. Driving experience?? tell me how many people have taken a car for under 100k bone stock around the NUR as fast as this car? Made the 977 turbo (162k msrp) look like a civic at the TSUKUBA track, its on youtube. look it up! I understand your ideals about lambo cause they never won a race, no history and all. But answer this if you were around when Porsche built its first car you'd be saying the same thing to them. Having to look back and be the guy who made those comments about the brand name Porsche you'd feel dumb. Give respect where respect is due, name or no name. 75k for anything this amazing, even if it was a fricken Hyundai GTR, is a deal. Nothing 75k or under come even slightly close. Now wouldnt you like to see a Lamborghini for 75k brand new? It still wouldnt be as good as a NISSAN Skyline though for performance, maybe style only.

Nice

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #55
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

you're the epitome of badge whore.

I'm sure if Chevy produces their Cobalts to be later rebaged a BMW, you'd be all over it because it's got a BMW badge on it.

Quote:
sorry Idk it just seems weird to me to spend so much for something with a nissan badge on the trunk
      07-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #56
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

This badge whore has serious detest towards the GT-R, Below are his replies to another GT-R thread:

Quote:
if they are going for 25 over msrp might as well get a german car (aka a real car) like an m5 or something loaded
Quote:
only cars that should ever be over msrp are like the f430 and such IMO
      07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #57
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

enough about Sonic he was just ignorant of the facts, but this ganeil guy knows his car history and STILL backs the gtr isn't worth 75k. This just makes me sick , any TRUE car guy will gladly puke on anyone doubting the GTR's value! I wont argue heart and soul value cause that's priceless, my dream car was sold for around 1k brand new and now is worth 1.5 million. I agree passion drives value and so does heritage and exclusivity but no one can deny that on performance alone the GTR has earned its value. It also does have heritage and exclusivity to boot !! The exclusivity will most likely not be as exclusive as say a Ferrari or a Panoz but its also not priced like those either even though it can kick their ass at the track. But far more exclusive than the corvette or Porsche or Mercedes Benz all similarly priced but yet again will kick all their asses at the track haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #58
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
enough about Sonic he was just ignorant of the facts, but this ganeil guy knows his car history and STILL backs the gtr isn't worth 75k. This just makes me sick , any TRUE car guy will gladly puke on anyone doubting the GTR's value! I wont argue heart and soul value cause that's priceless, my dream car was sold for around 1k brand new and now is worth 1.5 million. I agree passion drives value and so does heritage and exclusivity but no one can deny that on performance alone the GTR has earned its value. It also does have heritage and exclusivity to boot !! The exclusivity will most likely not be as exclusive as say a Ferrari or a Panoz but its also not priced like those either even though it can kick their ass at the track. But far more exclusive than the corvette or Porsche or Mercedes Benz all similarly priced but yet again will kick all their asses at the track haha.
Wow, you guys get emotional about this.

I simply said I would not pay $75K+ for a Nissan. If I were to decide that my kids no longer deserved a good education and that there was no sense in saving anymore and felt that I could in good conscience shell out that kind of money for an impractical car, Nissan would not enter my decision making process. They lack the soul, spirit, and history that I look for in the cars I enjoy.

I would much prefer a restored nice condition CSL or Porsche RS from the early '70's, but that is me. Those are the cars and the marques I liked when I was younger.

Lighten up, track times do not mean a lot to some people.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #59
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:

I simply said I would not pay $75K+ for a Nissan. If I were to decide that my kids no longer deserved a good education and that there was no sense in saving anymore and felt that I could in good conscience shell out that kind of money for an impractical car, Nissan would not enter my decision making process. They lack the soul, spirit, and history that I look for in the cars I enjoy.

I would much prefer a restored nice condition CSL or Porsche RS from the early '70's, but that is me. Those are the cars and the marques I liked when I was younger.

Ur probably like 80 years old, you don't know what a real sport car is anyways...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #60
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
LOL at this thread
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #61
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Ur probably like 80 years old, you don't know what a real sport car is anyways...
Not quite 80 but was driving real sports cars probably before you were born.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #62
e92leon
我的車車有Turbo&!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 빠른차

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
2006 RX-8 (SE3P)  [0.00]
admit it, you'll drive one if it didn't wear the Nissan badge

PIECE OF MIND buddy

*pss.. debadge it!!
      07-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #63
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ_77 View Post

Hope this helps, the car is unreal but it is not invincible (still want one in my garage though). I thought it would have eaten the vette C6 Z06 up, apparently not
Well, the GTR is about more than just straight line performance...throw in some curves and the GTR will pull ahead. Otherwise, its not faster in a straight line compared to a Z06 or even the 911 Turbo.

As for the OP...cmon man, give a car the respect it deserves. A car doesn't become "legendary" status for nothing.
      07-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #64
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92leon View Post
admit it, you'll drive one if it didn't wear the Nissan badge

PIECE OF MIND buddy

*pss.. debadge it!!
finally a smart post
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #65
LAbeemer
Private
Rep

Quote:

Collector cars are a different subject, if you were driving sports cars before we were born you should of learned the difference by now. You also need to know that "history" as YOU look for is subjective. History is not defined by one man, just cause Chris Columbus didn't meet your standards doesnt make him any less historic. NISSAN HAS HISTORY, more so than some of your euro supercars. Nissan probably has a richer history than Porsche, the actual company has been around longer than Porsche. Just cause the name changed doesn"t mean Datsun's stint in racing doesn't count. Same engine builders and same watanabe family since I believe 1911. DR. Porsche AG founded Porsche in 1931, and yes he did build engines for VW but did not have an stint in racing during the VW days. Its funny because you might not even think Mercedes Benz is one of the richest racing histories, being one of the very first to challenge other car manufactures to races. Being one of the first few original car manufactures still around. Even FORD has been racing longer than any of those Porsche's or BMW's. So I dont know what history your looking for but you need to pull your head out of your rump because you can not deny the history Nissan has!!! But then again decisions about cars priced 75k and up doesn't seem to be in your past or future so who can blame you for giving us your WHAT IF. People who can buy cars like this understand a collector car is for passion (antiquated pieces of machinery) RACECARS like we are all talking about is the cutting edge of technology. But you have a right to your opinion, tell the F1 guys they need to have more heart and soul in there cars and send them back before computers. I'm sure they wont mind driving a collectors item worth millions rather than winning races with a RACECAR.

someone kill this thread! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #66
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
And it's ok to shell out a 80+K for a rebadged Toyota!? Mind you the new LF-A is going to be priced as much as an SL65 AMG.