M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Collision avoidance issues - sold the car!

08-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #45
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
When I'm backing into my garage and not about to hit anything the rear warning will randomly kick in and jerk my car to a stop. I then have to press the accelerator overly hard to overcome it. I keep waiting to back into the rear garage wall because of it. Its completely unpredictable when its going to happen.
When it does that, there is a prompt on the center screen. If you press that it will disable the auto braking for that parking. I've also noticed my car tends to learn when I do that a time or two. Only time it has cam back is when I disconnected my battery for a period of time. Might be worth trying unless you want it there for your own protection
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
snareman9051.50
      08-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #46
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
When it does that, there is a prompt on the center screen. If you press that it will disable the auto braking for that parking. I've also noticed my car tends to learn when I do that a time or two. Only time it has cam back is when I disconnected my battery for a period of time. Might be worth trying unless you want it there for your own protection
I'll have to look for that and give it a try. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 12:49 PM   #47
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

I turned that feature off after it jerked me to a stop too. All I was doing was backing up between cars. It hammered on the brakes and I wasn't about to hit a thing. In a way it would be nice to have tis work correctly. But not if it's gonna go off when it shouldn't. Useless feature imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #48
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

August 15th

After about 3 or 4 days of no collision alerts it happened once on the drive home today.

I stopped at the dealership earlier today because nobody was following up with me on fixing the car. The service advisor said 'still haven't heard anything from BMW'. And I'm thinking to myself so you're just going to do nothing while waiting for a reply that is never going to come from BMW?

I got angry, but I kept my composure. WTF!

When asked what I would like them to do, I bluntly said I want them to fix the car! It is not my responsibility to plan further troubleshooting, determine fault and ultimately fix the car. That is their responsibility and BMW's. It's been absolutely proven there is a fault in the collision avoidance system and I expect no less than for it to be fixed. I also said I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I am the customer and these are my expectations.

Now I have to drop it off again at the dealerhip on the 28th for them to drive it around more to confirm the issues is still happening. That in itself it not acceptable because I record on the drive camera every single time it happens! The last time they had the car almost 3 weeks! I don't want to keep doing this again and again.....

No lemon laws of course. I don't think BMW cares if customer cars get repaired or not.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #49
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

August 28th....!

I dropped the car off again at the dealership and got an X3 loaner. This one doesn't even have HUD which I sure do miss!

Anyhow, the collision avoidance last triggered on August 21st, exactly one week ago. This behavior is strange because at one point it was happening once a day, and now suddenly it is happening less frequently. It's almost like this coincided with the BMW Connected services outage that started August 8th.

Of course that sucks because if the dealership cannot confirm the issue still exists, they won't try to fix it (again). I am not sure how long they will have my car. Last time it was almost 3 weeks!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #50
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Sept 3rd!

I left the car with the dealership 5 business days (mon-fri) and they could not reproduce the issue during this time. They obviously know there is an issue, but if they cannot reproduce it after attempting to fix, they assume it is repaired. They have to reproduce it again. They don't take customer word that it's not fixed.

This is just turning into a horrible waste of time with the car being in the shop 1 month total already and it's not fixed. I think it is time I approach BMW directly about the issue and ask THEM what they are going to do. I simply cannot keep doing status quo because it is getting nowhere.

Yesterday while driving the collision avoidance kicked in again. So I know it is not fixed. I recorded the incident in drive recorder like I do whenever it happens.

Time to write BMW an email!
edit: email sent.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 09-03-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1272.50
      09-04-2023, 12:22 PM   #51
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Sept 3rd!

I left the car with the dealership 5 business days (mon-fri) and they could not reproduce the issue during this time. They obviously know there is an issue, but if they cannot reproduce it after attempting to fix, they assume it is repaired. They have to reproduce it again. They don't take customer word that it's not fixed.

This is just turning into a horrible waste of time with the car being in the shop 1 month total already and it's not fixed. I think it is time I approach BMW directly about the issue and ask THEM what they are going to do. I simply cannot keep doing status quo because it is getting nowhere.

Yesterday while driving the collision avoidance kicked in again. So I know it is not fixed. I recorded the incident in drive recorder like I do whenever it happens.

Time to write BMW an email!
edit: email sent.

Rob
This is frustrating to read, so I can only imagine how you feel.

Are you exporting the drive Recorder videos and keeping them for "evidence" of the defect? Be sure to do that because it's far too easy for the dealer to delete them. When doing an iStep upgrade, it warns that stored videos may be deleted. While discussing iStep, do you know which version is on your car now? I hope your dealer updated you to the 7/2023.xx version as this has some claimed improvements to DA Pro functionality. If they didn't, they're dingbats and should be doing that as a first step.

As it relates to communicating with BMW, writing emails is probably the long approach. To speed it up, call the dealer and speak with the service manager. Let them know you want a meeting with the BMW after sales rep. This rep visits the dealer weekly or monthly depending on need. This rep is your direct link to BMW Canada. They are the person of authority to take this to the next level.

Keep us updated. I'm hoping you can claim victory one day soon.
      09-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #52
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

September 14th

Collision avoidance triggering was on the increase again this week. Twice on monday and twice on wednesday. The two on wednesday were especially bad. One sent me well outside of my lane and the one that happened later was a really quick jerk of the steering wheel that caught me off guard.

I wrote a letter to the dealership manager and their regional manager. I'm now asking for further escalation and I'm not accepting status quo any more. I am really getting sick and tired of this.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:04 AM   #53
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

September 26th:

I'm just continuing to document this for anyone else who ever has an issue like this.

I dropped the car off at the dealership again. They said they are now opening a case with BMW since the issue involves the car's safety system.

This last week of driving I didn't have any issues with side collision triggering, but I didn't drive too much. The week before it was happening a few times each day. It's odd how random it can be.

I do not want to accept the car back until there is a final resolution one way or another. I don't know what that is, but I'm just tired of the situation.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #54
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

You deserve a new car imo.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #55
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
You deserve a new car imo.
I'm sure BMW will always try to fix the car no matter what and I'm not sure what circumstances, if any would warrant it being replaced.

But this worries me. You have to read the response from BMW on this BBB complaint regarding a faulty safety system causing an X3 to suddenly brake on its own. These types of intermittent issues (like mine) may not generate fault codes and when there's no error code, it's determined there is nothing wrong.

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/richmond-h...nts#1851640777

This is the exact situation I am trying to avoid happening to myself and this car.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 09-27-2023 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 05:09 PM   #56
PresM850i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Garage List
My wife's Lexus has a false trigger on 395 heading into Baltimore (from the South) most times. Same experience. And thie experience is reproducible most times. I looked at FCC experimental licences and saw nothing that would explain it.

So, how reproducible is it. Clearly, we have emitters out there that trigger, but are not recorded. Cue X-Files theme.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 05:32 PM   #57
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresM850i View Post
My wife's Lexus has a false trigger on 395 heading into Baltimore (from the South) most times. Same experience. And thie experience is reproducible most times. I looked at FCC experimental licences and saw nothing that would explain it.

So, how reproducible is it. Clearly, we have emitters out there that trigger, but are not recorded. Cue X-Files theme.
When I first got the car and it happened in the city, I thought maybe it could have been some kind of interference glitch. However, I have video of it happening while I'm in the country and there's nothing around for several kilometers. And it's always been happening from the right side, never once the left side.

I've had it happen while driving in both city and highway. Just pulling out of a parking lot too. There's no way to tell when it's going to happen, but I'll tell you it is very abrupt and disconcerting when it does happen.

A tech at my dealership disabled the side collision alert setting in ID7 when they previously had my car. I was pissed off they did that because that's not fixing it, but rather just trying to disguise that the issue is gone now.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 09-27-2023 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 02:46 PM   #58
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

What a bunch of absolute fucking horse shit!

Hey Rob it's xxxxxx from BMW Service. We are all finished up with your vehicle. I had the tech make a case with BMW in the SPI department for special safety concerns. We had sent in the drive record footage and had them do a remote scan on the vehicle. based on their investigation the vehicle is operating correctly but the drivers assistance has functional limitations and may be limited due to a variety of reasons. I have a copy of the case from BMW that you can have and take with you. They suggest changing some settings in the drivers assistance system. But the vehicle has been cleaned up and is ready for pick up today.

Another case (in Canada) where BMW effortlessly washes their hands of any responsibility for a vehicle with sensor issues, exactly like the BBB complaint I posted a few messages earlier.

I realize my dealership service department is in a difficult spot, but at the same time it's pretty obvious to me that they don't want to deal with it either.

BMW, give me a car that isn't fucking functionalliy limited then damnit!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #59
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
What a bunch of absolute fucking horse shit!

Hey Rob it's xxxxxx from BMW Service. We are all finished up with your vehicle. I had the tech make a case with BMW in the SPI department for special safety concerns. We had sent in the drive record footage and had them do a remote scan on the vehicle. based on their investigation the vehicle is operating correctly but the drivers assistance has functional limitations and may be limited due to a variety of reasons. I have a copy of the case from BMW that you can have and take with you. They suggest changing some settings in the drivers assistance system. But the vehicle has been cleaned up and is ready for pick up today.

Another case (in Canada) where BMW effortlessly washes their hands of any responsibility for a vehicle with sensor issues, exactly like the BBB complaint I posted a few messages earlier.

I realize my dealership service department is in a difficult spot, but at the same time it's pretty obvious to me that they don't want to deal with it either.

BMW, give me a car that isn't fucking functionalliy limited then damnit!

Rob
Two thoughts. First being they call out drivers assitance which is a loaded statement as some are always on (one can defeat the nags or intervention, e.g. lane departure) but others are a core "service", e.g. collision avoidance in this case which can have the warning turned off but not the intervention.

So first thought is to see if you can capture a drive recorder of similar action while in DAP. It's a nuance but at that point with your hands on the wheel, eyes forward, etc. then you truly are relying on the BMW drivers assistance as a whole. Also, turn on the DAP view in the cockpit which clearly calls out what the car "sees". I doubt drive recorder captures that but a handy cellphone filming all the time will.

Then #2... lawyer up. The key being is self-driving is a slippery slope no auto manufacturer wants to see the light of day in a courtroom over. I'll bet my next year's bonus if you can produce that evidence BMW CA will settle out of court in a heartbeat. That could include the simple easy answer, i.e., replace the car with a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 03:52 AM   #60
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

My God, get rid of this car. I had the same luck with my AMG GT, it was one thing after another after another….not worth the stress.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 2
m3_08604.00
      10-01-2023, 05:20 PM   #61
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
My God, get rid of this car. I had the same luck with my AMG GT, it was one thing after another after another….not worth the stress.
I am working hard on that and I think I have a solution figured out. I will know more tomorrow (monday) if the dealership accepts my numbers (I think they will). It's just time to move on.

Rob
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      10-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #62
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I'm very close to getting out of my 8 series. I didn't hate the car, but didn't love it either. And there was just so much negative baggage that I just needed to close the book on - I was never going to be happy with it.

2024 X5 40i
Basically it has everything except air suspension and B&W audio. Thankfully no deletions. It was a special order that a customer passed on. Black exterior contents would have been nice, but I can deal with that next spring. I'll probably put on a black grill too.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      10-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #63
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm very close to getting out of my 8 series. I didn't hate the car, but didn't love it either. And there was just so much negative baggage that I just needed to close the book on - I was never going to be happy with it.

2024 X5 40i
Basically it has everything except air suspension and B&W audio. Thankfully no deletions. It was a special order that a customer passed on. Black exterior contents would have been nice, but I can deal with that next spring. I'll probably put on a black grill too.

Rob
Let us know if you pick it up as I can help navigate you through either iD8 or iD8.5 (just depends on the build date. There are pros and cons vs iD7 I've shared on another thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:45 PM   #64
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Let us know if you pick it up as I can help navigate you through either iD8 or iD8.5 (just depends on the build date. There are pros and cons vs iD7 I've shared on another thread.
It's build date is 7/27, but still ID8. I can appreciate how quick the system is compared to ID7, but even removing the distance controls is rather questionable - that didn't need to happen.

Anyhow I'm waiting for credit approval so I guess I will know Thursday if this is going to work or not.

Which thread?

Rob
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2023, 11:18 PM   #65
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's build date is 7/27, but still ID8. I can appreciate how quick the system is compared to ID7, but even removing the distance controls is rather questionable - that didn't need to happen.

Anyhow I'm waiting for credit approval so I guess I will know Thursday if this is going to work or not.

Which thread?

Rob
My wife's LCI is a June build date and on 07/2023.45 which is rock solid. I'm holding on to iD8 until BMW has figured out more ways to customize the iD8.5 new home screen, etc

Here's the thread with comments on iD8 vs iD7 including the WTF? loss of AAC distance controls on the steering wheel. I have a lot more to the pros and cons so what I posted on the thread were just top of mind.

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2054868
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:00 AM   #66
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Glad you’ve got sorted Rob_G77 after what’s quite frankly a bit of a shit show by BMW. Love those wheels on the X5 too!
Appreciate 1