M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New update via myBmw App

02-20-2023, 05:44 AM   #111
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840d Convertible

Still waiting for mine to start 23 days after downloading it for the second time (Last November).

Beginning to think what is the point in these OA updates if for some owners they won't install!
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #112
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
What happens when the ECU is locked
It has to be re-unlocked in order to apply a tune aka ECU remapping.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 11:52 PM   #113
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Not sure if it’s the weather or what. But my car feels faster after the update. Like the throttle is more sensitive
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 04:32 AM   #114
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I understand this is an known issue (server side?) affecting a significant number of owners across all models.
Only fix is to get the update installed by a dealer.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1977602
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:51 PM   #115
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Not sure if it’s the weather or what. But my car feels faster after the update. Like the throttle is more sensitive
I have found the same. It could be that the throttle adaptations have been reset so feeling a little different.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #116
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
That was my thought as well until iDrive began prompting me to download the update every time I started and stopped a trip. That became too annoying for me to live with.
Update, still havent done the update and get no warnings to do so either.

Life is good.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:06 AM   #117
chillo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

So after the previous download of 07/2022.58 from November disappeared a month back and then re downloaded again, i'd still been waiting for it to decide to install after completing the upload.
On Friday i check again and it's disappeared again, a short while later i get another SW update is available again. This time version is: 11/2022.60!
So have downloaded (on my iphone) and uploaded to the car and yep, back to waiting for it to decide when it will install in the car again!
Ducati Panigale v4r
Ducati 1299s
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #118
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillo View Post
Ok so this is a new one on me!
After downloading and uploading to the car I’ve been waiting for my update to start since last November.
Just checked again today and a different message saying update not available now!
I had exactly what you had. Download of 07.22 to my phone, took a while before I could download to the car (because of winter storage), but when I did, after 100% download to the car, I got the message that there was no new update and the 03.22 version was the most current. But shortly after, my phone downloaded 11.22.

So the problem seems to be: it takes soooo long to complete a successful download and install, that new versions are released making the one in progress obsolete lol. It’s actually smart system integrity to NOT install a version if a NEWER version is available. But maybe allow us to install whatever is available quickly before it’s already obsolete?

Anyway, like you, 11.22 has been downloaded to the car and, to paraphrase, is “waiting for the right conditions for the installation. I will be informed when that is the case”. Thanks BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #119
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
I had exactly what you had. Download of 07.22 to my phone, took a while before I could download to the car (because of winter storage), but when I did, after 100% download to the car, I got the message that there was no new update and the 03.22 version was the most current. But shortly after, my phone downloaded 11.22.

So the problem seems to be: it takes soooo long to complete a successful download and install, that new versions are released making the one in progress obsolete lol. It’s actually smart system integrity to NOT install a version if a NEWER version is available. But maybe allow us to install whatever is available quickly before it’s already obsolete?

Anyway, like you, 11.22 has been downloaded to the car and, to paraphrase, is “waiting for the right conditions for the installation. I will be informed when that is the case”. Thanks BMW.
Update on my end. 07/2022.58 was downloaded from the app to the car a few months back but never hit the "magic" for the car to ever install it. Just got the message after cool down, etc. after every drive and of course even with the car sitting for a day or 2 in the garage never a prompt on installing before the next drive. Car stopped promoting the cool down, etc. last month as guessing it gave up.

So to my surprise got the notice and update is available and get it in the My BMW App as the first step. LOL as the app already had it as pulled it down automatically while the cell was on WiFi last night. So here we go again trying to update to 11/2022.60. 😜
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #120
overklok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition X2 M35i

I just completed the upgrade today.
Here are a couple of things I noticed:
1) Make sure you have a good internet connection while downloading to phone.
2) Make sure your phone is connected via WiFi and Bluetooth to the car.
3) It will complete the upload while driving, it stops at 47% until driving is initiated.
4) The update will not install immediately after driving, it wants the car to cool down before installation.
5) Installation will only complete when the car is parked, you can leave the car after the installation begins, lock the car and walk away, it will notify you via the My BMW app when installation is complete.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:38 PM   #121
Slawboss
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 gran coupe comp

I updated mine today and now Apple car play hasn’t worked since. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 05:54 PM   #122
Nykrayz
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 2024 x5m 2024 i5m60

For those having issues with update. Make sure your connected to cars wifi As it is not automatic. I had to use QR code generated on display and then easy
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:05 PM   #123
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawboss View Post
Bummer. The OTA process is supposed to redownload all the Connected Car apps. Catch-22 is if Car Play is just like AA that is not a seperate app (similar to the other thread on Spotify somewhat going belly up).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #124
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nykrayz View Post
For those having issues with update. Make sure your connected to cars wifi As it is not automatic. I had to use QR code generated on display and then easy
Spot on. You can also just search for WiFi, select the car's hotspot and then in my case on a Google Pixel with Android 13 select "use network as-is" vs logging in through the AT&T portal. Also, if you have either CarPlay or AA configured kill that as they will capitalize the WiFi connection and not allow the app to join. At least my experience with AA.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #125
Nykrayz
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 2024 x5m 2024 i5m60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawboss View Post

I just checked and my car play works. Though I rarely use. But it works fine

Maybe hard reboot idrive
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2023, 09:06 PM   #126
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by overklok View Post
I just completed the upgrade today.
Here are a couple of things I noticed:
1) Make sure you have a good internet connection while downloading to phone.
I've downloaded over LTE and now 5G. Just slower but not a show stopper. Given the slow rollout of OTAs I just configured the app so it only downloads when connected to WiFi.
Quote:
2) Make sure your phone is connected via WiFi and Bluetooth to the car.
The app will call out when it is not. Another tip at least for AA but pretty confident it will apply to CarPlay as well is disconnect that as it will capitalize the WiFi (both use it to stream apps/audio).

Quote:
3) It will complete the upload while driving, it stops at 47% until driving is initiated.
Found this one interesting as prior OTAs I did them in the garage with only the phone connection (WiFi/Bluetooth) to the car and iD running. This go around it called out driving so just did a neighborhood loop drive until installed.

Quote:
4) The update will not install immediately after driving, it wants the car to cool down before installation.
Depends as a 840i can likely do it right away but for the M8 or M850i it requires the 30 minute cool down.
Quote:
5) Installation will only complete when the car is parked, you can leave the car after the installation begins, lock the car and walk away, it will notify you via the My BMW app when installation is complete.
This is the frustrating part as getting the prompt seems to be magic. BMW calls out flat surface, clear line of sight to the sky, etc. Behind the scenes it also requires a certain level of battery charge (a failed OTA due to the battery going dead in the process will brick iDrive) plus other factors.

Still waiting for the magic with the car cooled down in the garage, parking lot at work (total open sky), etc. I know it works in the garage as have done every OTA in it. The door doesn't even need to be open as SiriusXM (uses same satellite antenna as Connected Drive) works as well as I can lock/unlock the car via the app, take a 3D view picture and remote start.

Kudos to you for getting lucky as others just as I can't seem to trigger the magic. There are hacks that have helped in the past, e.g., putting iDrive in diagnostics mode but the last go around and this one for 11/2022.60 will likely crash and burn. BMW can't punch their way out of a paper bag when it comes to the digital world. My career has squarely put me in that world for nearly 30 years including the advent of the NCSA Mosaic browser that truly created the Internet as we know it today while everyone else was on AOL. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 09:07 PM   #127
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nykrayz View Post
I just checked and my car play works. Though I rarely use. But it works fine

Maybe hard reboot idrive
That may do it as it's not a seperate Connected app.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 12:15 AM   #128
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update... still waiting for the magic for the car to finish the install. However, what is absolutely odd is vs the past when waiting every time I drove and then shut off the car I'd get a message on the main iD screen about the update and the engine needing 30 minutes to cool down, etc. With the 11/2022.60 OTA uploaded to the car I get nothing. If I check the update under settings sure enough it says it's uploaded and preparing for the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #129
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

got prompt to update to 11/2022.60 for our x5. Went smooth and np.
didn't get update notification for m8 but really I don't need it, LOL
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 05:20 AM   #130
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Update... still waiting for the magic for the car to finish the install. However, what is absolutely odd is vs the past when waiting every time I drove and then shut off the car I'd get a message on the main iD screen about the update and the engine needing 30 minutes to cool down, etc. With the 11/2022.60 OTA uploaded to the car I get nothing. If I check the update under settings sure enough it says it's uploaded and preparing for the install.
My update to 11/2022.60 went very smoothly. Here's how it went down for me . . .

I was prompted to upload the update software to my iPhone in the myBMW app. That went smoothly. The next time I got in my car, I was prompted to download the update software from my phone to the car. Again, that went smoothly and was done as I was driving. Note that this step only downloaded the software to the car. It did not install it.

The install step was only slightly more complicated. The install has to be done with the car cooled down, about 30 minutes after your last drive. But it doesn't happen automictically. After cool down, I had to go back to the car to kick-off the install. For that, the car had to be turned off and parked with the parking brake on. The key fob had to be in the car for the install to kick-off, but once the install process began, the key fob can be removed from the car and the car can be locked (I did neither, just to be safe). I then left the car unattended, but got a message in the app after about 20 minutes that the install was complete. I then went back to the car, removed the key fob and locked it.

btw, after all that, I noticed no changes. Lol.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5291.50
      05-05-2023, 12:38 PM   #131
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
My update to 11/2022.60 went very smoothly. Here's how it went down for me . . .

I was prompted to upload the update software to my iPhone in the myBMW app. That went smoothly. The next time I got in my car, I was prompted to download the update software from my phone to the car. Again, that went smoothly and was done as I was driving. Note that this step only downloaded the software to the car. It did not install it.

The install step was only slightly more complicated. The install has to be done with the car cooled down, about 30 minutes after your last drive. But it doesn't happen automictically. After cool down, I had to go back to the car to kick-off the install. For that, the car had to be turned off and parked with the parking brake on. The key fob had to be in the car for the install to kick-off, but once the install process began, the key fob can be removed from the car and the car can be locked (I did neither, just to be safe). I then left the car unattended, but got a message in the app after about 20 minutes that the install was complete. I then went back to the car, removed the key fob and locked it.

btw, after all that, I noticed no changes. Lol.
I've been trying the same but in my case I think something is hosed as I don't even get the normal prompt after a drive regarding the OTA, cool down, etc. I've even tried driving around with the software update menu on my iD screen the entire time. Just says preparations have been made and I'll be notified when it can be installed. Have rebooted iD, put it in diagnostics, etc. My issue may be that I'm coming from 11/2021 and it's too much for iD's little brain to handle.

If you were already on 07/2022.xx there won't likely be any noticable changes as that included all the new lane departure functionality I truly want. The rest? Who cares.

Don't forget to re-enable remote start and if you use drive recorder to change to your specs. I've always found the default for time of recording at impact set to 10 seconds ridiculous. So always bump to the max which I think is 20. No where near as good as a dashcam but at least a little protection.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      05-05-2023, 03:17 PM   #132
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update... bigger leap than I thought as did a lunchtime errand with the OTA setting on the iD screen the entire time again and I'm on 07/2021.85. That was installed by my dealer as it is the release that introduced Android Auto along with the window memory function. Used AA auto as the argument to get my SA to approve the work.

BTW love the window memory app as when pulling into the work parking garage the driver side window automatically goes down so I can badge swipe the entry. The little things in life that make the 8-series a joy to own. 👍
Appreciate 0