M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Considering Buying A Used M850ix - Would Appreciate Your Thoughts

03-04-2024, 11:54 PM   #23
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
@two-bmw, you’re in an 8 series forum, so you probably will not get too many haters! Having said that, trust us, the 850 is special! That twin turbo V8 is just plain fun.

Now the more important question: “does not allow the purchase of what I would ideally want.” Which is….?? I can’t wait to find out!
Yes, I knew that coming in. But this is also where the expertise with the vehicles resides, so, worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:57 PM   #24
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

I'll probably put an actual question out there starting another discussion, but would like to hear from you guys about the degree of reliability you have experienced with the 850i's. I realize they have only been out since 2019, but what people have experienced can still be valuable.

I would plan to use the 850i I am seriously considering purchasing for the next seven years as a daily driver about 12k miles a year. And it will almost certainly be a 2019 (maybe a 202 if I get lucky in terms of price/value).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:32 AM   #25
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
@two-bmw, you’re in an 8 series forum, so you probably will not get too many haters! Having said that, trust us, the 850 is special! That twin turbo V8 is just plain fun.

Now the more important question: “does not allow the purchase of what I would ideally want.” Which is….?? I can’t wait to find out!
Here is the answer to the second part of your question. Ideally, going into this process, I would have ideally wanted a BMW M4 Competition Xdrive. But seeing as they only began offering them in 2021, the prices for lightly used cars is in the $80k range.

Having driven the M850i, now, I'm not so sure I would still rather have that M4.

The critical issue that I do have to resolve before actually following through with the purchase of an M850i is spending some considerable time in one to see if I can make the footwell area tightness acceptable by applying all available electronic seta controls in hopes on finding a livable position. My first test drive was unexpectedly cut short by early, unexpected rush hour traffic, and a salesman not leaving me with enough time to check that out.

I am driving about an hour tomorrow to test drive a second M850i and 90% of the focus will on working carefully through all of the seating controls in hopes I can find a way to make things work.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 11:34 PM   #26
TWO-BMW
Private First Class
Rep

As promised, I spent probably twenty minutes today playing with all available seat controls and am very pleased to announce that I was able to find a seating position that is workable. Most of the improvement came from seriously lowering the seat, though other aspects also contributed.
Appreciate 0