M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Starter Battery is Limited warning

05-11-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Starter Battery is Limited warning

This just appeared on the app today. The starter battery is the Li-ion one under the hood? Anybody seen this before?

Btw, just googled and saw that a bunch of i4 drivers got the same message today. WTF
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:51 PM   #2
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Bug, all forums reporting it. Goes away after refresh.
Appreciate 1
Volcanic168.00
      05-11-2023, 09:56 PM   #3
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ha, thanks. Just refreshed the app and it’s gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Good to know it's just a bug. Ironically I went through all of iDrive, etc. to see if I could find anywhere the battery charge level is displayed. It's ridiculous that caring car and other bullshit exists but no battery level whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
Volcanic168.00
      05-12-2023, 09:47 PM   #5
ikonn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Good to know it's just a bug. Ironically I went through all of iDrive, etc. to see if I could find anywhere the battery charge level is displayed. It's ridiculous that caring car and other bullshit exists but no battery level whatsoever.
Right? Such a simple gauge that has been in cars for ages, and in this complex car…nothing.

Maybe 2 batteries need 2 guages which would be just too complicated for them to engineer 😂

But hey, we get to be mindful!

Btw, the error came back again last night, and then disappeared again. So maybe fixed, not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 12:50 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
Right? Such a simple gauge that has been in cars for ages, and in this complex car…nothing.

Maybe 2 batteries need 2 guages which would be just too complicated for them to engineer 😂
Yep too much to handle. There for a minute I thought it might be on the power flow display under vehicle status menu. What a joke as all it showed was a glowing engine and said engine running. Wow, like I didn't know that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonn View Post
But hey, we get to be mindful!

Btw, the error came back again last night, and then disappeared again. So maybe fixed, not fixed.
I'm not getting the bug in the app but was looking as strongly suspect the battery isn't at the proper level to apply the OTA on the car. I don't drive it a lot <100 miles per week and mostly short trips at that to the grocery store, etc. and one day to the office which is about 25 miles round trip.

Last week though I did a 80 mile round trip on Monday and a 40 mile round trip on Wednesday and I finally got the prompt for ready to install after cool down, etc. but next time in the car no install kick in. So assuming the alternator got it up to the right level at that point. Now back to not even the cool down message at the end of a drive.

The battery used for at least starting the car is strong as no hesitation whatsoever no matter how long the car sits. So suspect it's the 2nd battery that runs iDrive and other electronics that is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
FYI the manual is useless as well but does call this out and hence likely BMW's CYA for not having any battery display gauges. It is also the service that does the notification in the app so either the bug lies there or your battery is truly getting low.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0