M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla recalls every vehicle they have ever made?

12-15-2023, 11:22 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I did read the recall. In summary the issue for the recall is:

"In certain circumstances when Autosteer is engaged, the prominence and scope of the feature’s controls may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse of the SAE Level 2 advanced driver-assistance feature."

Your assessment and analogy is incorrect. The cell phone is not a walking aid device.
It says it right in your quote... "controls may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse". There is nothing wrong with the system... it's people misusing the system. As I stated before I think it should have never been called autopilot, because people are dumb, but that's about it. It's adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

Do any of the other manufacturers that also have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist have to go through all this hoopla? I doubt it. The most I've ever gotten on any vehicle with these features to "prevent driver misuse" is a wheel nag, which Tesla already has along with other stuff like driver camera.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      12-15-2023, 05:25 PM   #24
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
It says it right in your quote... "controls may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse". There is nothing wrong with the system... it's people misusing the system. As I stated before I think it should have never been called autopilot, because people are dumb, but that's about it. It's adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

Do any of the other manufacturers that also have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist have to go through all this hoopla? I doubt it. The most I've ever gotten on any vehicle with these features to "prevent driver misuse" is a wheel nag, which Tesla already has along with other stuff like driver camera.
I've had cars apply the brakes and almost kill me, but sure only Tesla has this junk.

These nannies are bs IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #25
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is something wrong with Tesla's system. Apparently the NTHSA found that the Tesla system allows the car to operate in Autopilot mode without the necessary attentiveness that is needed from the driver to keep the car driving safely. That is the reason for the recall, because the the system is not designed (programmed) correctly and makes the system unsafe to use. Apparently the fix requires just software changes.

Regardless how the fix is implemented it is still a safety recall. Sure, Tesla does routine software updates over the air all the time, but this update is safety related tied to a safety system used in the automobile. Just because there is no need for a hardware update and Tesla doesn't have to physically collect all 2M affected vehicles still doesn't mean it is not a safety recall.
You should be a politician with those bs none response responses.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 08:32 PM   #26
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
There is something wrong with Tesla's system. Apparently the NTHSA found that the Tesla system allows the car to operate in Autopilot mode without the necessary attentiveness that is needed from the driver to keep the car driving safely. That is the reason for the recall, because the the system is not designed (programmed) correctly and makes the system unsafe to use. Apparently the fix requires just software changes.

Regardless how the fix is implemented it is still a safety recall. Sure, Tesla does routine software updates over the air all the time, but this update is safety related tied to a safety system used in the automobile. Just because there is no need for a hardware update and Tesla doesn't have to physically collect all 2M affected vehicles still doesn't mean it is not a safety recall.
Another way to look at an OTA update is whether or not authorities require the vehicle to be grounded if the recall is not performed.

OTA for new ringtone - keep driving if the update is not applied.

OTA to fix broken autopilot - fixed or grounded.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #27
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Another way to look at an OTA update is whether or not authorities require the vehicle to be grounded if the recall is not performed.

I plan on driving my car tomorrow. LOL at OTA fixed or grounded. This truly made me laugh. Thanks brother.

Anyone know if the NHSTA will fast rope rappel in tomorrow via V22 Osprey to prevent me from driving?

In all seriousness though I am fortifying my house against stun grenades.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      12-15-2023, 10:22 PM   #28
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I plan on driving my car tomorrow. LOL at OTA fixed or grounded. This truly made me laugh. Thanks brother.

Anyone know if the NHSTA will fast rope rappel in tomorrow via V22 Osprey to prevent me from driving?

In all seriousness though I am fortifying my house against stun grenades.
Doubt it, but the "Still want an EV?" crew might greyhound in.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1976.50
      12-16-2023, 01:52 AM   #29
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

LOL. Where do you people come up with this nonsense?
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      12-16-2023, 02:41 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I think the "grounding" would be in effect only if a retail sale of the vehicle is attempted. Where a licensed automobile dealer (reseller) would have to have the safety defect corrected prior to sale. During the Takata airbag recall I drove my E90 for several years waiting for BMW to get the updated part and a time slot to install it in my car.

When my special ordered '22 Bronco finally arrived for sale Ford was required to complete a safety recall to correct for an improperly installed windshield. The Ford dealership could not sell me the Bronco until the windshield was repaired. All new Broncos under the span of the recall (build date range) were subject to a "stop sale".

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-16-2023 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      12-16-2023, 06:31 AM   #31
NikMN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 n63tu

Say it isn't so. Space baby over promised and under delivered. Well color me shocked 😲
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 08:14 AM   #32
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
I think the "grounding" would be in effect only if a retail sale of the vehicle is attempted. Where a licensed automobile dealer (reseller) would have to have the safety defect corrected prior to sale. During the Takata airbag recall I drove my E90 for several years waiting for BMW to get the updated part and a time slot to install it in my car.

When my special ordered '22 Bronco finally arrived for sale Ford was required to complete a safety recall to correct for an improperly installed windshield. The Ford dealership could not sell me the Bronco until the windshield was repaired. All new Broncos under the span of the recall (build date range) were subject to a "stop sale".
Agree. Stop sale seems like a reasonable analogy. Honda has a seat belt-related recall on the CR-V (maybe other models) and a person I know has not had the recall done (yet).
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #33
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
A. Not a voluntary recall. NHTSA forced this and this was legally challenged etc just in case safety you think is the primary concern at T HQ
B. Once the recall is applied then if the cruise control does weird stuff or kills people then it'llbe hard to spin it as 'it's dumb people fault ' defence.
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00