M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 vs M850i ride quality

12-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

M8 vs M850i ride quality

I'm ordering a gran coupe, but M8 version hasn't hit dealers yet and so I haven't driven. I loved the ride quality if the M850i GC and the sound and handling were great. The acceleration response was pretty good. A little slow to respond compared to my M4 or X5M, however good enough. I am struggling because I'd like to have the fastest version of the 8 and love the 4 pipes in the M8 and prefer the interior and exterior color options of the M8GC. HOWEVER, I don't want the ride to be a lot stiffer. I enjoyed how the M850i turned into a comfortable cruiser. Has anyone driven the M8 Coupe and the M850i Coupe and how would you compare the ride quality between the two? Can the M8 (non comp version) be a comfortable cruiser?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

850 coupe rides nice and smooth and I'd imagine the GC's ride is similar.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

As long as you are not getting the competition, you'll be good.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
That's what I was starting to get from car and driver review and others. Sounds like the comp models have quite a bit more stiffening modifications. Thank you! I haven't been this excited since I leased my first X5M.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      12-17-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
Quote:
That's what I was starting to get from car and driver review and others. Sounds like the comp models have quite a bit more stiffening modifications. Thank you! I haven't been this excited since I leased my first X5M.
Yea. That's what I've been noticing lately with the competition series.

F90 M5 guys that think they can handle the competition badge, most complained about it being stiff.

F97 X3M guys also the same. I personally like the Competition setup, but most are complaining on it. Especially the YouTuber that compared it side by side to X3 M40i.

I think that's why the non M BMW's are getting softer and softer like Mercedes Benz.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      12-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If the comps have non run flats it may help a bit.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
If the comps have non run flats it may help a bit.
I don't think any M cars equipped with RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I guess M850's don't count as real M cars even though BMW says they are lol. I had to search to find one w/o run flats and needed to get the HP cooling tire m-tech pkg to do so. Glad the other M's don't have them, as I'm not a fan although they have come a long way in recent years especially the Michelin Pilot versions.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I guess M850's don't count as real M cars even though BMW says they are lol. I had to search to find one w/o run flats and needed to get the HP cooling tire m-tech pkg to do so. Glad the other M's don't have them, as I'm not a fan although they have come a long way in recent years especially the Michelin Pilot versions.
Their is a noticeable difference between rft and non-rft tires. You can feel it in the turns. If I got the M850i, I would have done same as what you did, even though I'm not a fan of black wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Their is a noticeable difference between rft and non-rft tires. You can feel it in the turns. If I got the M850i, I would have done same as what you did, even though I'm not a fan of black wheels.
I don't like the black wheels either (wish they left the face machined) but on a white car with carbon roof and extnd shadow trim etc. it works, plus I was told the cars equipped with this package for the track may get engines closer to the top of the tolerance.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't like the black wheels either (wish they left the face machined) but on a white car with carbon roof and extnd shadow trim etc. it works, plus I was told the cars equipped with this package for the track may get engines closer to the top of the tolerance.
That's the spec that black wheels look best on. I have a white M4 now and the white black looks awesome, although I have the darker M wheels on that one, so not totally black. I drove the M850i GC and was super impressed with it. If I can't work out an acceptable deal on an M8 GC I'll be very happy with an M850i GC with black wheels for the same reason you have them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

The m8c is stiff but in comfort it feels great. Stiffness and ride quality is so subjective. The car feels stiff or what I like to describe as solid. In sport suspension it is very stiff On non perfect roads. It’s bearable and that’s usually 99 percent of my driving

When you get yourself into any M or M comp i am expecting a sports car. If I couldn’t bear the stiffness I would of went with something else. Also I lower all my cars so the comp suspension is quite comfy

Quote:
That's the spec that black wheels look best on. I have a white M4 now and the white black looks awesome, although I have the darker M wheels on that one, so not totally black. I drove the M850i GC and was super impressed with it. If I can't work out an acceptable deal on an M8 GC I'll be very happy with an M850i GC with black wheels for the same reason you have them.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00