M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Comparing an M850 convertible to a MB C63S convertible

11-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Comparing an M850 convertible to a MB C63S convertible

Short history; I sold my 1017 911 about one year ago. I loved the car but wanted something easier on my back entering and exiting. Being in my 60's, I was ready for more of a touring convertible. My first choice was an M850. My thought was to get one pre-owned because of the history of high depreciation. Obviously that hasn't happened thus far. I did demo one a couple of times and really liked it. I ended up ordering a 2021 MB C63S convertible that I have owned for 5 months. I was able to get a good deal at 7% off. I like the car but find a few things quirky with jerky starts and steering while taking lazy curves. It's like the steering wheel stays in the turning position and doesn't easily return to center. These charecteristics are well documented in forums. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2019 M850 convertible with only 1,500 miles at a very fair price. Even better, I am able to drive the car for a couple of weeks before making the decision to purchase it. The MB dealership will give me what I paid for my car and possibly a few thousand more. They will also do the transaction of buying the BMW and selling it to me for a just a transaction fee which will save me having to pay the tax.
My question to forum members is there anyone that has owned or logged miles on a C63s and could give me a comparison to the M850. Obviously I am going to be able to compare the two myself but I would like to hear about what others think. Appreciate any input.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 02:18 AM   #2
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

This is for C63S coupe vs M850 gran coupe (I have owned both). To me, the Mercedes has more a visceral thrill to it compared to the BMW due to the killer exhaust sound. The Mercedes is more edgy, and the BMW more of a relaxed drive. My gran coupe is a large car, it feels large. I drove a 850 coupe a few times, it still feels large compared to the Mercedes. To me the steering is not good at all with the BMW. It seems it does not want to do its job when going into the twisties. Feel lucky to have the C series with the AMG V8. Mercedes is done making them. They will be highly sought after in time. I have many nick-piks on my M850. The dash sucks...Hyundai as a similar dash appearance, as well as the same running light pattern....hmmm.....if I am going to spend 100K for a car, it should look and feel special....the AMG does....the M850 does not. I do hate Mercedes costs on maintenance. Bottom line...enjoy your "rare" car....at times I wished I had a E63s sedan instead of the M850.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      11-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
To me the steering is not good at all with the BMW. It seems it does not want to do its job when going into the twisties.
Funny you mention the steering, I 100% agree with your assessment of the M850i. That is actually what pushed me to the M8 Comp, they do NOT drive the same. I don't personally know exactly why but maybe someone here might have more technical knowledge for that.

When I first planted that bug in my SA ear about getting an 8 Series they gave me a M850i for my next service loaner of my X5MC. They "cough" had to keep it over night and most the next day. lol After I turned it back I told my piece on it and they set me up with a M8 for lunch "while they detailed my X5". I was sold the first handful of turns.... Might just be smoke show but that is what I thought.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
Short history; I sold my 1017 911 about one year ago. I loved the car but wanted something easier on my back entering and exiting. Being in my 60's, I was ready for more of a touring convertible. My first choice was an M850. My thought was to get one pre-owned because of the history of high depreciation. Obviously that hasn't happened thus far. I did demo one a couple of times and really liked it. I ended up ordering a 2021 MB C63S convertible that I have owned for 5 months. I was able to get a good deal at 7% off. I like the car but find a few things quirky with jerky starts and steering while taking lazy curves. It's like the steering wheel stays in the turning position and doesn't easily return to center. These charecteristics are well documented in forums. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2019 M850 convertible with only 1,500 miles at a very fair price. Even better, I am able to drive the car for a couple of weeks before making the decision to purchase it. The MB dealership will give me what I paid for my car and possibly a few thousand more. They will also do the transaction of buying the BMW and selling it to me for a just a transaction fee which will save me having to pay the tax.
My question to forum members is there anyone that has owned or logged miles on a C63s and could give me a comparison to the M850. Obviously I am going to be able to compare the two myself but I would like to hear about what others think. Appreciate any input.
The M850 will be more comfort oriented with the C63 being much sportier and athletic, but more edgy when it comes to ride comfort. I personally prefer the steering of the C63, and don't really care for the EPS tuning in the M850 or M550 but that'll be up to you decide what you like more. The engine in both cars is great, but the C63 will give a more raw experience and is the more characterful engine of the two. The M850 should have smoother and less jerky shifts as it uses a regular ZF gearbox versus AMG's MCT gearbox. With the M850 also being considerably larger and heavier expect its handling to also be a bit more relaxed. Whether these are pros or cons for you is all dependent on your preferences and driving style.

As for depreciation, it will hit, especially once the market returns to normal, and for the 8er it will likely hit harder considering at one point BMW couldn't move these cars without 20%+ discounts. The AMG's value may actually hold or depreciate less due to the end of the V8 for the C-Class.

You were saying you'll have a chance to extensively test the car before buying correct? If so, take them up on their offer and see how the car works for you. Good luck!
      11-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

If i were you i will look into the M8 comp conv (for the v8 sound and luxury and good handling despite the big size) or the M4 xdrive conv for something smaller more nimble and cheaper (the cons are No V8 and the looks )
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:36 AM   #6
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

I have had the opportunity to drive both almost side by side. The evaluations of the members in this forum were spot on. I received the M850 over the weekend so I was able to log some miles both highway and city driving. The M850 is fast and very smooth. The exhaust sound is not impressive or natural. Today I drove it to my dentist appointment which included highway driving. The M850 is very capable but felt like I was driving a big car. When I got home I got in my C63S convertible to do a few errands. I have been very OCD about properly breaking in the motor thus far, which is suppose to be till 1,000 miles. I had 960 staring today so it was time to start having some spirited driving especially so I can get a better comparison to the M850. Immediately I felt a more "feel the road" kind of drive. Definitely not as smooth as the BMW. Coming out of a 911, the C63S felt heavier and not as nimble. I got a whole different perspective today when I got back into the C63S after logging a good amount of driving time with the M850. As crazy as it sounds, Going from the M850 to the C63s today was the same feeling I got when I went from the nimble ride of the 911 to the heavier feel of the C63, only this time my C63 was the nimble feeling car. I put it through the paces and really felt the difference. The C63 was really fun to drive. Yes, the tranny makes start ups a little more jerky but you learn to accelerate in a way that eliminates that. I want to cover a few more aspects in comparing the two cars. Seat comfort and driver position goes to the C63 hands down. the seat portion and height of the 850 is not comfortable for me although I did raise the seat almost one inch from the chassis and it made a good difference. I am going to post a detailed description of what I did in another topic I started concerning seat height and adjustment. This modification to me is a game changer.
The C63 is not touchscreen but navigating through prompts and set-up, especially the radio is more effortless in the C63. I have the standard Burmister stereo and must say, it sounds really good and a HUGH sound upgrade to the standard Harmon Kardon found in the M850. It is very sad that BMW really dropped the ball when they used this stereo in such a high end car. Another Hugh plus for the C63 is the overhead and back up camera. A big improvement over the M850. There is a view of the front low bumper that is accurate to within an inch of the curb with a clear, up close display. I do like the "cockpit" effect better in the M850 but the C63 wins the functionality test IMO. All in all, body styling and refinement goes to the M850. My M850 is Dravit Grey, a color that is not one of my favorites but the M850 still stands out when compared to the C63.
My gut feeling is to stick with my C63. Could be wrong but I was very lucky to be fortunate enough to compare the two side by side.

Last edited by Footman614; 11-18-2021 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00